Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM #1
the760sd (Banned)

How To Run A Successful Tryout?

Was wondering if anyone had the time to make a manual or what ever you wanna call it on how to run a successful tryout.

What drills
what to look for
How to evaluate

stuff like that.

THANK YOU!
the760sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 PM #2
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
Things you need to see a guy do:

Shoot left and right handed

Snapshoot against another player

Run and gun

Lane/sweetspot

Play in actual game situations.

You can accomplish a basic player evaluation by having guys do these drills:

What I would do at a tryout:
-Play one on ones. This will give you an idea of the guys field awareness, snapshooting, and movement abilities. Also, good players stick out pretty fast doing these.

-Snapshoot against each other out of one side of a bunker only. Each guy should go a couple of times with both hands. Do this in a couple kinds of bunkers if you want. You are looking for players who play tight to the bunker, shoot accurately, are able to rapidly get in and out of the bunker shooting, and also look for guys who don't come out the same height all the time. This also gives you a chance to check out their general form.

-snaphoot using the whole bunker.(both sides, ot, etc.)

-Have the players run and shoot to a corner from the start box. Place a target in the opposite back center, and tell them to try and hit it while they are running and gunning to corner. Then put a guy in the opposite back center, and have them shoot at him while they are running and getting shot at.

-Have players run to the corner like before, except they can just run. have the other player attempt to lane the player running to corner. This is a simple drill to see who can shoot off break. You can obviously roll the above drill and this one into one drill. Just make sure guys are signaling if they get hit.

-Last thing. Play some games. Stick guys where you think they should be based off of the other drills, and see who stands out. You need to be objective and split the teams up as evenly as possible. make sure you have a few sets of eyes watching each team.

That should take care of it.

If you are still undecided. Rinse and repeat after making some cuts.

Well, I just read that you were looking for a manual on this...my bad. lol
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM #3
the760sd (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfrenzy View Post
Things you need to see a guy do:

Shoot left and right handed

Snapshoot against another player

Run and gun

Lane/sweetspot

Play in actual game situations.

You can accomplish a basic player evaluation by having guys do these drills:

What I would do at a tryout:
-Play one on ones. This will give you an idea of the guys field awareness, snapshooting, and movement abilities. Also, good players stick out pretty fast doing these.

-Snapshoot against each other out of one side of a bunker only. Each guy should go a couple of times with both hands. Do this in a couple kinds of bunkers if you want. You are looking for players who play tight to the bunker, shoot accurately, are able to rapidly get in and out of the bunker shooting, and also look for guys who don't come out the same height all the time. This also gives you a chance to check out their general form.

-snaphoot using the whole bunker.(both sides, ot, etc.)

-Have the players run and shoot to a corner from the start box. Place a target in the opposite back center, and tell them to try and hit it while they are running and gunning to corner. Then put a guy in the opposite back center, and have them shoot at him while they are running and getting shot at.

-Have players run to the corner like before, except they can just run. have the other player attempt to lane the player running to corner. This is a simple drill to see who can shoot off break. You can obviously roll the above drill and this one into one drill. Just make sure guys are signaling if they get hit.

-Last thing. Play some games. Stick guys where you think they should be based off of the other drills, and see who stands out. You need to be objective and split the teams up as evenly as possible. make sure you have a few sets of eyes watching each team.

That should take care of it.

If you are still undecided. Rinse and repeat after making some cuts.

Well, I just read that you were looking for a manual on this...my bad. lol
This was just about exactly what I wanted. Thank you

Keepem comen!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 AM #4
poopresearch
Dr Nick

poopresearch plays in the PSP
poopresearch supports DLX Technology
Here are my thoughts:

- Don't run tryout unless your need for people is extremely dire. Just because someone has a little talent doesn't make them a good addition to your team. If possible, recruit folks you know. Get to know folks at your local fields and draw from that pool.

Here is what we look for:
- Someone who plays paintball regularly even when not on a team. If someone says they will start practicing/playing more when they join a team, they are usually full of BS. Find people who love playing and play anyway.
- Someone with a good attitude and work ethic. One person can give a whole team attitude cancer. Same is true in the other direction, one positive person can get a team back up after losing a game. Don't need lazy negative people.
- You really want people who are coachable and have a drive to improve. The quickest way to get better is to practice with folks who can tell you what you are doing wrong. Our team is extremely lucky to have some very talented D1/Semipro players helping us out and pointing out how we suck If you don't have the maturity to handle constructive criticism you are a hinderance to your team. We've had very good luck picking up people who play other sports such as baseball and football.
- Aggression is a nice thing to look for as well. It's easier to take an overly aggressive player and get them to slow down than it is to take an overly conservative player and get them to move. Of course a well balanced team has a good both explosive and clutch players on it.

It can be hard to get a new team going. Building momentum takes some time, but once you start winning finding players becomes easier and easier as most folks want to be part of a winning team. Keep trying and keep looking for the right folks and it will come together.
poopresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 AM #5
Enforcer1987

Mainly attitude because thats one thing you cant change in a person other then that trainable person. just try to work on something with each of the players and see who makes the bes inprovements.
Enforcer1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 PM #6
the760sd (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopresearch View Post
Here are my thoughts:

- Don't run tryout unless your need for people is extremely dire. Just because someone has a little talent doesn't make them a good addition to your team. If possible, recruit folks you know. Get to know folks at your local fields and draw from that pool.

Here is what we look for:
- Someone who plays paintball regularly even when not on a team. If someone says they will start practicing/playing more when they join a team, they are usually full of BS. Find people who love playing and play anyway.
- Someone with a good attitude and work ethic. One person can give a whole team attitude cancer. Same is true in the other direction, one positive person can get a team back up after losing a game. Don't need lazy negative people.
- You really want people who are coachable and have a drive to improve. The quickest way to get better is to practice with folks who can tell you what you are doing wrong. Our team is extremely lucky to have some very talented D1/Semipro players helping us out and pointing out how we suck If you don't have the maturity to handle constructive criticism you are a hinderance to your team. We've had very good luck picking up people who play other sports such as baseball and football.
- Aggression is a nice thing to look for as well. It's easier to take an overly aggressive player and get them to slow down than it is to take an overly conservative player and get them to move. Of course a well balanced team has a good both explosive and clutch players on it.

It can be hard to get a new team going. Building momentum takes some time, but once you start winning finding players becomes easier and easier as most folks want to be part of a winning team. Keep trying and keep looking for the right folks and it will come together.
Thanks for your input!

Keepem comen guys!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM #7
scottaka_rufio

has been a member for 10 years
scottaka_rufio helped look for balloons
I had a two day tryout. What worked for me was numbering players having a clip board and just playing points. Write down strong points of each player and who they played best with and compair with other players. Even if a player looses a few points watch if they try and comeback or get down and play like crap the rest of the day. Look for players who are open to other players advice including yours. Also look for the players that can play everywhere. Also you want to kinda stereotype players by watching them to see if there about winning or looking good.

Hopefully that helps you out
scottaka_rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM #8
the760sd (Banned)

So basically this is what i am going to do. Tell me what you think

Basic drills to get a feel for the players and see who can shoot with both hands, who can run and shoot blah blah or can make it to the corners etc. have a point system for each player

Left hand shoot 1 2 3 4 5
Right hand shoot 1 2 3 4 5
Run and gun left handed 1 2 3 4 5
Run and gun right handed 1 2 3 4 5

etc...

Also the same goes for who takes lead, who can follow directions who has the best attitude. etc...

Does that sounds good?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM #9
ROBGOESOFF
Shoot first, Ask never

ROBGOESOFF is playing at Living Legends III
ROBGOESOFF supports Team VICIOUS
also you should look for people who communicate well and are overall good people. no point having a really good player who is a dick to the team.
ROBGOESOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:14 PM #10
the760sd (Banned)

Heres what I will have on my clip board for each player. Please add or take away what you think would be best.

*Gun handleing*
Left hand shoot 1 2 3 4 5
Right hand shoot 1 2 3 4 5
Run and gun left handed 1 2 3 4 5
Run and gun right handed 1 2 3 4 5
Holds down lanes 1 2 3 4 5

*Physical*
Makes it to the bunker with out getting shot out off break 1 2 3 4 5
Dive 1 2 3 4 5
Slide 1 2 3 4 5
can run 1 2 3 4 5

*The Player*
Agressive 1 2 3 4 5
Conservitive 1 2 3 4 5
Plays Smart 1 2 3 4 5
Communicates 1 2 3 4 5
Can play every position 1 2 3 4 5
Makes smart moves 1 2 3 4 5
Good Attitude 1 2 3 4 5
Plays Fair 1 2 3 4 5
Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 PM #11
.Felix The Cat
Black Leaf

.Felix The Cat plays in the PSP
.Felix The Cat helped look for balloons
.Felix The Cat owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
.Felix The Cat supports Team VICIOUS
Dive 1 2 3 4 5
Slide 1 2 3 4 5
can run 1 2 3 4 5
remove all that if he can make it to his bunker that is wat counts

un;less playing conservitive is a bad thing whicth itt should be remove it too
Rip Ian
.Felix The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 PM #12
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
You will probably have the most organized tryout in the history of paintball.

Seriously.
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 PM #13
receiver545
www.PBHeadshots.com

receiver545 plays in the PSP
receiver545 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
receiver545 supports Team VICIOUS
receiver545 plays in the APPA D4 division
You are on the right track!

receiver545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 PM #14
iiEpiC_FaiL
I'm NOT Ben Stubbs

iiEpiC_FaiL owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
iiEpiC_FaiL supports Team VICIOUS
iiEpiC_FaiL is for the Gunfight
First off...ask everyones age... Anyone under 17...give em DAS BOOT!... traveling arraingments are a ***** with peoples parents and school scedules. You dont want Ollie Lang junior getting grounded 2 days before PSP Chicago do you?

Bring a roll of tape...and a sharpie...give everyone a number.

Keep track like that...names are loong and funky...numbers are short and to the point.

Pick random teams out of a hat...have teams of 5...play games...have a few people assigned to certian player numbers...evaluate...Next round cut people, re pair teams...another round...so on and so forth...

Example:
Jimmy, Tommy, and Billy are team members, and are elvaliating the "candidates".
Jimmy has candidates 1-5. Tommy 6-10. Billy 11-15.

Numbers 1, 4, 7, 13, and 14 are picked as team one.

jimmy timmy and billy put on a mask..and watch the players on the field....

Evaluating their respective players.

run the rest of the players... make cuts.. yadda yadda.

Once your down to a few people...mayeb 2 more than you acutally need...get to know everyone... get aquainted... yadda yadda...

play again...make final cuts...walla..

Additude is a big part of being a finctional winning team...if someone has a bad additude....everyone wil have a bad additude...

Seems kind of confusing..and yes it takes ALL FREAKIN DAY...but trust me...youll thank me...youll get exactly what your looking for...

plus if your having tryouts..Post a thread in your respective state on the forums...and maybe surrouding states...see what you come up with...try to get phone numbers..names..guns and such..get an idea of how many people youll need there for evaluating..

also get the approval of your local field to do tryouts...most people are cool with it, considering youll be bringing buisness to their field.

..my fingers hurt.
iiEpiC_FaiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM #15
bmpnugls

bmpnugls plays in the PSP
bmpnugls owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
bmpnugls owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
bmpnugls supports Team VICIOUS
All very good info!
bmpnugls is offline   Reply With Quote