PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM #1
iwasaccident
McLovin

iwasaccident helped look for balloons
Making a mini-tank (just some goofy idea i had :D)

Alright so my field is hosting a MW2 big game that will be complete with props and whatnot and for the fun of it i thought id build some kind of "mini-tank" where it would basically be plywood over my old bike (with training wheels to keep it upright) and i would use painted PVC as a barrel but im not quite sure of how to go about the finer details of construction, does anyone have any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM #2
labmaster

labmaster supports our troops
Do you mean just the frame would be plywood? If more than just the frame then I think you will find it to be heavier than you want.
labmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:00 PM #3
timmy41

plywood is pretty heavy, youre going to sink into anything that isnt hard with all the weight on bike tires
timmy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM #4
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Dale has some plastic panel that he uses called cloroplast. it's lightweight and takes a beating. you could probably make a person powered tank. if you're not using anti-tank weapons in your MW scenario, you can just put a gun port in it for the main gun and use the occupant's marker.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 PM #5
octane2079
Drunken Badger

has been a member for 10 years
octane2079 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
You wouldn't happen to be talking about pbc's mw2 event would you?
Xbox Live/Origin Name Edgyxsf
octane2079 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 PM #6
iwasaccident
McLovin

iwasaccident helped look for balloons
no its gotcha's mw2 event
Old 03-14-2010, 06:19 PM #7
Boom Master
Scenario Player

My material is polycarbonate twin wall. Same stuff they make safety glasses out of. Chloroplast will split with paintball impacts. Taint cheap at $80 for a 4' x8' sheet which weighs 7.25 pounds. 1/4 plywood same size would be about 20 pounds a sheet.

Here is a cross section of how it looks.

Here is a pic of it up fairly close showing how I use Hot Glue to reinforce screw and bolt attachments.

I would suggest a PVC frame with the bottom covered with fabric and even painted and netting all on the top half. Make it a Box that works like a SLED so the bottom edge looks like tank tracks so you can drag it up over obstacles on the field. Use some 1/4" plywood triangles to reinforce the PVC at the corners and high stress joints. Rig up a belt so it works like a harness so you can pull it hands free. A crossbar in front to lift it up with. Maybe a two man? Remember there is a reason why the romans put the horses in the FRONT of the charriots. Make sure the horses in your tank are very forward in the shell and dragging it rather than trying to push it. maybe some roller blade wheels on the rear end of the track. One on each side of the PVC that is reinforced with plywood.

This design won't work but show what I mean by a box where the bottom edge is shaped like a tank track.

The occupant would have to be farther forward to PULL it. This design would be like pushing a loaded grocery cart through a gravel pit.

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-14-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote