PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-07-2010, 02:28 AM #1
Kief
funky

Kief supports Bob Gurnsey
Water Polo/Competitive Swimming

I played water polo for a semester this past year at my high school. Well needless to say it is for sure one of the most intense sports out there. I love to swim and Ive been on my schools swim team for 4 years now. I finally decided to join water polo, mainly to get faster at swimming. Which I did. I played as a perimeter player most of the time and dropped into set maybe once or twice in the whole season. Set is no joke. I'm 6 feet 125 and I would be guarding someone who's 6 feet 200. I should be up there close to 200 but swim team has kept my *** underweight for years now. I don't mind it at all cuz I'm in shape.
Butterfly is my stroke. For a while I was faster at it than freestyle. My best time was a 32 which isn't that great but whatever. Lately I've been getting into backstroke and I'm liking it. Season just started and we had our first meet last week. My senior year so I'm looking forward to a good year.

Any water polo players/swimmers out there that have any stories, record breakers to share, advice?
Kief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 AM #2
Autocockerman92

well i did play polo before the eggbeater motion used to stay alive, ****ed up my hip joint so i dont any more and its senior yr. but if you keep playing polo keep a cool head cuz if the get you pissed off your out of the game. conditioning is the best, and keep them hips up on top the water. also what ever the ref cant see is legal good luck
Autocockerman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM #3
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocockerman92 View Post
well i did play polo before the eggbeater motion used to stay alive, ****ed up my hip joint so i dont any more and its senior yr. but if you keep playing polo keep a cool head cuz if the get you pissed off your out of the game. conditioning is the best, and keep them hips up on top the water. also what ever the ref cant see is legal good luck
never played the game, but my ex gf did and I had to watch a ****TON of games, and this is the key to success.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM #4
Kief
funky

Quote:
Very true about keeping a cool head cuz you can seriously lose it in that game. I've been kicked out before for basically shoving this dude underwater by pressing on his shoulders. What the ref doesn't see sure as hell is legal, I've learned that the hard way.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 AM #5
Autocockerman92

[quote=Kief;65286317]I played as a perimeter player most of the time and dropped into set maybe once or twice in the whole season. Set is no joke. I'm 6 feet 125 and I would be guarding someone who's 6 feet 200. I should be up there close to 200 but swim team has kept my *** underweight for years now. I don't mind it at all cuz I'm in shape.

youre right set is no joke. id stay out of there unless you really know whats going on. im your hight and 60 more pounds than you and i still struggle to set sometimes. if you want tips on set or anything let me know ive been goin at it for 7 years now and i can tell you a few things my coachs have told me
Old 04-22-2010, 09:21 PM #6
Kief
funky

Please. I'd like some tips on set, as well as the game in general. I wasn't too good at the sport, but I loved to play it.

I'm looking into some local clubs around my area for the summer. Time to get steel hard legs again.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 AM #7
Autocockerman92

well first thing is obvious but dont go into set if you got a guy twice your size, thats never a good idea. look for mismatches and send that preson in or you go in if its you. then once youre in you need to be close to the 2m. you dnt want to be at the 5m setting, unless ur offense is really spread out. my favorite thing to do is to swim from point and go to the side that the ball is on, put my back into the guy, and then grab hold of his suit at the hip. then you can move him anywhere and he gets pissed. hold that one side strong and let your team workit to that side. then its all about keeping him behind you and staying on your legs. if you dont use ur legs the refs wont call **** and youll never do good. keep fighting till you hear the whistle. another thing is to always get up on your legs as the pass comes in so when it gets there you can throw ur shoulder and elbow into his chest, create seperation and get to the ball. one key thing is COMMUNICATION. with out it just like paintball your team doesnt know where your going to be set.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 PM #8
aaazackaaa

haha a cool head??
I have been in 3 fights this season alone and I started none, I just finish them. It doesnt matter about keeping a cool head as long as you dont start the fights.

And as for size, it sure as hell helps. Last year I was 6'2 150, this year I am 6'3 185 and damn is it easier to control the opponent
aaazackaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM #9
Autocockerman92

fights do matter in stl idk where your at but Chicago, Florida and Cali let a lot slide. it would be an x or roll for both if you start ****. theyre not gonna put up with it here. and as for fighting back, thats just ****ty polo. sounds like youre the problem, ive been in a few incidents but never a fight for 7 years.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM #10
Kief
funky

I haven't been in any fights yet. It seems like when I go into set I just sink, lol. Not literally, but it's hard to stay up. When your at point, and no one is open, what do you do? Shoot?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 PM #11
Autocockerman92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
I haven't been in any fights yet. It seems like when I go into set I just sink, lol. Not literally, but it's hard to stay up. When your at point, and no one is open, what do you do? Shoot?
set takes legs lots of em. put your back into the guy and get into him, not like that, but closer to him. this knocks him off of his legs and position. then you should have enough room to step to the ball and get clear of the defender. maybe get a piece of his suit right at the hip, on his side. thats my key move, then you can move them where ever you want. but dont do it all the time. at point you do not want to shoot at all since youre far out. walk in either right at the goal or toward a post. this will draw attention to you and cause defenders to move out of position. once you get inside of the 5m and no one is coming to you...then shoot. but not outside the 5m, its usually a waste of a position. but first off your flats should be making a move to either drive and get open or seal off water so you can make a safe pass. have you flats help you out. tell them to move and get open. but the one thing to remember is help out set, he is workin his *** off so if he has a side set then DO NOT pass it around the opposite side. it never makes them happy
Old 06-25-2010, 04:06 AM #12
mitchellpk123

I'm looking into some local clubs around my area for the summer.Time to get steel hard legs again.Swimming will get you to a degree of the conditioning that is needed by water polo as the conditioning needs for polo are different.Polo was the same schedule,we swam an hour and half in the morning and for three hours in the afternoon we ran drills, did scrimmages and conditioned some more.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 PM #13
guizzopber

Quote:
well first thing is obvious but dont go into set if you got a guy twice your size thats never a good idea. look for mismatches and send that preson in or you go in if its you. then once youre in you need to be close to the 2m. you dnt want to be at the 5m setting, unless ur offense is really spread out. my favorite thing to do is to swim from point and go to the side that the ball is on, put my back into the guy, and then grab hold of his suit at the hip. then you can move him anywhere and he gets pissed. hold that one side strong and let your team workit to that side. then its all about keeping him behind you and staying on your legs. if you dont use ur legs the refs wont call **** and youll never do good. keep fighting till you hear the whistle. another thing is to always get up on your legs as the pass comes in so when it gets there you can throw ur shoulder and elbow into his chest, create seperation and get to the ball. one key thing is COMMUNICATION. with out it just like paintball your team doesnt know where your going to be set.
idkkk about that.. to a point size matters but to a point it doesnt (hs it doesnt)
our star player is 5 foot 5 and is a lil ball of like steroids (but he doesnt take them) well anyway back to my point if you know more about the game and are more technical you can be better, our coach knows best he played for like the 1980's Olympic team hes 6 foot even pushing around 6 5 guys.. just depends ha
oh i play polo for my team and my club (elite water polo) im in d2 most guys in our league are college bound ha

Selling car rims 500 PM me for details
guizzopber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:32 PM #14
Autocockerman92

as a generalization in hs most of the schools in st louis have teams based on size, and with there size comes greater skill. if people go to illegal substances to even the playing field thats an exception. not just size up but size out too. if u got a 6'5" 150 pound kid hes easy to move. but if you have a 6'5" 245lb Matt Stipanovich thats going to play in California d-1 size does matter when it comes to keeping up with higher levels. skill is also a key part. size only furthers success
Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 AM #15
guizzopber

ya i totally agree, if your a 5'9" 10" 11" guy with tons of skill, a 6'5" guy with same skill will be the better player just because of size. but i was just talking hs ball haha

i just reread op, we had a guy break 4 records this year, he broke our 50 free 100 free and 2 relays.

Selling car rims 500 PM me for details

Last edited by guizzopber : 07-20-2010 at 12:07 AM.
guizzopber is offline   Reply With Quote