PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 AM #1
C MacKN

This is why I believe in God

Many that don't believe in God don't believe because they want proof and they don't want to just have faith. I made this thread to explain how I became a christian and how I am such a strong christian today. I was about 3 years old at my grandma's house when I asked God to come into my heart. I went to church every Sunday and learned a lot about God. As I got older I strarted to say to my self , " What if there is no God" because like many of you I also wanted some proof. In the past couple years I have had life experiences where the only answer to how things in that situation turned out was that God interviened. Here is an example, one evening I was leaving my uncles house and he has a son who was only 6 at the time. I took the keys from my mom and wanted to back the car out and warm it up. I went outside and got in the car and started it and just sat there until I found a good song that was on the radio. Once I found a song I put the car in reverse and as I started backing up something toled me to not go and to stop the car. I hesitated for a second and started to back up again. Once I started to back up again I saw something bright in my rear view mirror ( I cannot explain what it was but it was pitch black outside and there was nothing around that could have made that glow that I saw ). I put the car back into park and got out of the car and when I looked behind the car my 6 year old cousin was there. If I hadn't had seen whatever that was in my mirror I could have killed him. There are no other houses around, no lights, my cousin is to short and when he is behind the car you cannot even see his head, he didn't have any kind of flashlight with him, no one else was outside except me and my cousin. There is no other way to explain the thoughts that I had and to explain that flash that I saw in my mirror other than to say that it was an act of God. I have a couple more that I can share with you guys but this one touched me the most and brought me closer to God. ( Some of you will laugh at this and say I'm crazy if you are not a believer and some of you will understand and maybe even have had an experience yourself) I believe in God because he is there when I need him and I have had my proof more than just this one incident. I have more faith than ever I know there is a God. If you have had anything similiar happen please post it I would like to hear what happened.
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 AM #2
akatch79
Queen of the Norse

has been a member for 10 years
There are plenty of things that could explain the flash you saw in your mirror - your taillights reflecting on some metal component of your cousin's clothing such as a zipper or belt buckle, etc. I'm certainly happy to hear that your cousin is okay, and if you want to believe in God, you don't need to justify it to anyone else (you only need to justify it if you intend to pass it off as absolute truth and to witness to other people), but come on.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 AM #3
paintballonaim (Banned)

paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
That's pretty cool. I have had a few instances, but it's too hard to bring to words, it's just things that I know happened.

But yeah, that's pretty cool. I would recommend breaking that into paragraphs - easier to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatch79 View Post
There are plenty of things that could explain the flash you saw in your mirror - your taillights reflecting on some metal component of your cousin's clothing such as a zipper or belt buckle, etc. I'm certainly happy to hear that your cousin is okay, and if you want to believe in God, you don't need to justify it to anyone else (you only need to justify it if you intend to pass it off as absolute truth and to witness to other people), but come on.
The way he described it, it seemed like a much bigger flash of light than a mere zipper. Either way, neither you nor myself could relate completely (or at least enough to 100% attack or defend his claim) because we were not there. This isn't a thread bragging it, but rather to share experiences others have had, or at least that's what I got out of it...

Last edited by paintballonaim : 01-21-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 AM #4
C MacKN

It could have been a tragedy, thank God it wasn't. Next time I will take some more time and put it into paragraph form.I was on a drive way and with the rearview mirror facing where it was you had no view of my cousin. Also he only had on underwear so it wasn't a reflection.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 AM #5
Zoidberg

The lack of skepticism in this country is saddening.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 AM #6
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Originally Posted by C MacKN View Post
Many that don't believe in God don't believe because they want proof and they don't want to just have faith. I made this thread to explain how I became a christian and how I am such a strong christian today. I was about 3 years old at my grandma's house when I asked God to come into my heart. I went to church every Sunday and learned a lot about God. As I got older I strarted to say to my self , " What if there is no God" because like many of you I also wanted some proof. In the past couple years I have had life experiences where the only answer to how things in that situation turned out was that God interviened. Here is an example, one evening I was leaving my uncles house and he has a son who was only 6 at the time. I took the keys from my mom and wanted to back the car out and warm it up. I went outside and got in the car and started it and just sat there until I found a good song that was on the radio. Once I found a song I put the car in reverse and as I started backing up something toled me to not go and to stop the car. I hesitated for a second and started to back up again. Once I started to back up again I saw something bright in my rear view mirror ( I cannot explain what it was but it was pitch black outside and there was nothing around that could have made that glow that I saw ). I put the car back into park and got out of the car and when I looked behind the car my 6 year old cousin was there. If I hadn't had seen whatever that was in my mirror I could have killed him. There are no other houses around, no lights, my cousin is to short and when he is behind the car you cannot even see his head, he didn't have any kind of flashlight with him, no one else was outside except me and my cousin. There is no other way to explain the thoughts that I had and to explain that flash that I saw in my mirror other than to say that it was an act of God. I have a couple more that I can share with you guys but this one touched me the most and brought me closer to God. ( Some of you will laugh at this and say I'm crazy if you are not a believer and some of you will understand and maybe even have had an experience yourself) I believe in God because he is there when I need him and I have had my proof more than just this one incident. I have more faith than ever I know there is a God. If you have had anything similiar happen please post it I would like to hear what happened.
  1. People have been saying this forever. 'I can't explain it: it MUST be God.' Wrong.
  2. Why is God helping YOU in such a specific way? Couldn't his power be better spent helping orphans with AIDS in Africa maybe? Or veteran amputees? Or victims of priest child molestation? No no, making sure you didn't back up over your six year old cousin is definitely number one on his list.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 01-21-2009, 01:56 AM #7
Јon

And on top of Derr's first point, OP, how do you know that your god (the one you already believed in) was the one that did it? What reason do you have to not think it was a Hindu god? Or a Pagan god? Or some aliens that happened to be floating by on their way back from anal probing some nearby hick?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 AM #8
MeRfCaKe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Јon View Post
And on top of Derr's first point, OP, how do you know that your god (the one you already believed in) was the one that did it? What reason do you have to not think it was a Hindu god? Or a Pagan god? Or some aliens that happened to be floating by on their way back from anal probing some nearby hick?
I lol'd at that part.
Custom Cockers
Old 01-21-2009, 02:01 AM #9
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
  1. People have been saying this forever. 'I can't explain it: it MUST be God.' Wrong.
  2. Why is God helping YOU in such a specific way? Couldn't his power be better spent helping orphans with AIDS in Africa maybe? Or veteran amputees? Or victims of priest child molestation? No no, making sure you didn't back up over your six year old cousin is definitely number one on his list.
Quote:
In all fairness, lets flip that question back around though...

How do you guys KNOW (for a fact) that you're right, and he's wrong? Being that there is NO ABSOLUTE proof in etiher direction, it's moot point. Therefore, not worth arguing, wouldn't you agree?

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.

Last edited by Aaron5604 : 01-21-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 AM #10
Јon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron5604 View Post

How do you guys KNOW (for a fact) that you're right, and he's wrong? Being that there is NO ABSOLUTE proof in etiher direction, it's moot point. Therefore, not worth arguing, wouldn't you agree?
No.

There are an infinite amount of possible explanations. Both logical and not.
It could have been the god he believes in, or it could have been fairies. To assume that he's right, and that a supernatural being did it, is a pathetic display of deductive reasoning skills.

When will you people learn that the "You can't prove him wrong" argument is a faulty one? That's what I want to know.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 AM #11
C MacKN

Like I said I didn't make this thread to start an arguement, I have my beliefs and you have yours. God watches over everyone and it wasn't my cousins time to die. God can put thoughts in your head and give you a sign like that flash that I saw that saved my cousin.
Derr, you asked why did God helped me, it didn't take much from him to do what he did. I am a strong christian and pray everyday and he has his times when he is ready for everyone and he wasn't ready for my cousin. This is Earth not heaven and with that said there is evil. Everyday there is battle between good and evil and everything happens for a reason. Jon, how do I no that it was my God you asked. There is only one God, ya people in other countries claim to worship these other God's but there is only one. I have a question for you Jon, have you ever read the bible?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 AM #12
Јon

Old 01-21-2009, 02:24 AM #13
Zoidberg

Quote:
There is only one God, ya people in other countries claim to worship these other God's but there is only one.
Wow.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:30 AM #14
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Holy **** that's one helluva facepalm.

Quote:

How do you guys KNOW (for a fact) that you're right, and he's wrong? Being that there is NO ABSOLUTE proof in either direction, it's moot point. Therefore, not worth arguing, wouldn't you agree?

We really accomplished a lot here.

ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 AM #15
Јon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
Holy **** that's one helluva facepalm.
It's called for.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 AM #16
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
No.

There are an infinite amount of possible explanations. Both logical and not.
It could have been the god he believes in, or it could have been fairies.
To assume that he's right, and that a supernatural being did it, is a pathetic display of deductive reasoning skills.

When will you people learn that the "You can't prove him wrong" argument is a faulty one? That's what I want to know.
That's the WHOLE POINT here, that there are an "infinite amount of possibilities." Having said that, you can't then proceed to call someone out if you're being equally vague w/ the person who shares a contrasting opinion.

He see's it one way, you another. Yet, the both of you are unable to go any further outside the simple fact that the two of you uphold a difference in opinion.

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:34 AM #17
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

We're not the one's making a claim here, bub. He purports to tell us what is true and real. We are challenging him to produce evidence or logic proving his claim. He offers this v

Quote:
Like I said I didn't make this thread to start an arguement, I have my beliefs and you have yours. God watches over everyone and it wasn't my cousins time to die. God can put thoughts in your head and give you a sign like that flash that I saw that saved my cousin.
Derr, you asked why did God helped me, it didn't take much from him to do what he did. I am a strong christian and pray everyday and he has his times when he is ready for everyone and he wasn't ready for my cousin. This is Earth not heaven and with that said there is evil. Everyday there is battle between good and evil and everything happens for a reason. Jon, how do I no that it was my God you asked. There is only one God, ya people in other countries claim to worship these other God's but there is only one. I have a question for you Jon, have you ever read the bible?
You answered nothing. Your post offers no explanation for your beliefs or evidence for your understanding of reality. I question your mental stability and recommend psychiatric assistance so that you may one day be able to differentiate between the dream world and the real world.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 AM #18
C MacKN

I am not goin to start an arguement with you derr, I have my beliefs and you have yours.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 AM #19
Јon

Quote:
That's the WHOLE POINT here, that there are an "infinite amount of possibilities." Having said that, you can't then proceed to call someone out if you're being [I[equally[/i] vague w/ the person who shares a contrasting opinion.

He see's it one way, you another. Yet, the both of you are unable to go any further outside the simple fact that the two of you uphold a difference in opinion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 AM #20
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
I am not goin to start an arguement with you derr, I have my beliefs and you have yours.
Uhh, dude. YOU made this thread. YOU already STARTED the argument. You have to back up your ****. You NEVER see an atheist making a thread like this. EVER.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:39 AM #21
MeRfCaKe

Quote:
Well, that's all fine and dandy, but the fact is that you made a thread based on your beliefs. If you did not want it to be come a discussion, why did you start it in the first place? You can't sit there and claim "I believe 'this' because of A, B, and C", and then not want to discuss your beliefs with someone else who opposes them.
Custom Cockers
Closed Thread