Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Blue_Cobra owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Blue_Cobra supports Team VICIOUS
Blue_Cobra posts videos on PbNation
Blue_Cobra supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoChutney View Post
Woah, really? They make almost every increment of BB weight up to .5. I've personally used .12, .2, .23, .25, .27, .3, .36 and .4.
Yeah really dude. I'm not an airsoft geek. I have only heard about .12, .2, .25, .3, and .35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoChutney View Post
Airsoft guns have generally more FPS and will still out-shoot a Paintball gun with wind. When you use backspin to gain more range the wind can affect it regardless of weight, since the projectile will be 'floating' after a certain distance. For arguments sake, just imagine both guns being shot in a windless environment.
More FPS doesn't matter much when there are two separate weighted projectiles being shot. And how can there be a windless environment? That has to be in the equation if you are to find the true range and accuracy of both paintball and airsoft. That's like saying there is not God and trying to define truth. It doesn't work.

"Originally posted by greenperson: lol you just completely shutout savephace. they were like "look. our lens can take a gelatin shell at 425 FPS". and Vforce is like "ok. ours can take bullets.""
LEGO PAINTBALL WHAT DO YOU THINK???
Need to sell gear? Go to U.S.A. B/S/T! It's easy & it's Facebook!
Blue_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM #65
molybdenum
Aspiring Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Cobra View Post
But what about Flatline barrels or hop-up in paintball guns (rough sandpaper like tape in the barrel)?
I chose to exempt them because unlike in airsoft, backspin systems are not the norm in paintball.

From what I understand (no hard data), paintball with no backspin will have an effective range (that is, range at which you can expect to eliminate targets with any repeatability) is some where around 160(?) feet with good paint and little wind, and somewhere around 275 with an apex/flatline. The edge of range for airsoft (which is only seen after very high end work in a specialy modified gun) is somewhere around 350 feet. First strikes are obviously an exception, but just to be inclusive, their effective range is supposedly pushing 400 feet.

Anyone citing velocity is missing the fundamental issues of coefficient of drag and muzzle energy. A paintball at 300fps has an energy of about 30 odd Joules. An .2 gram airsoft pellet at 500 fps has something like 3 joules. I think someone said before: stones and pebbles.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 AM #66
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molybdenum View Post
I chose to exempt them because unlike in airsoft, backspin systems are not the norm in paintball.

From what I understand (no hard data), paintball with no backspin will have an effective range (that is, range at which you can expect to eliminate targets with any repeatability) is some where around 160(?) feet with good paint and little wind, and somewhere around 275 with an apex/flatline. The edge of range for airsoft (which is only seen after very high end work in a specialy modified gun) is somewhere around 350 feet. First strikes are obviously an exception, but just to be inclusive, their effective range is supposedly pushing 400 feet.

Anyone citing velocity is missing the fundamental issues of coefficient of drag and muzzle energy. A paintball at 300fps has an energy of about 30 odd Joules. An .2 gram airsoft pellet at 500 fps has something like 3 joules. I think someone said before: stones and pebbles.
Ok, this makes sense. But so an Apex is about the same as Flatline then?

"Originally posted by greenperson: lol you just completely shutout savephace. they were like "look. our lens can take a gelatin shell at 425 FPS". and Vforce is like "ok. ours can take bullets.""
Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM #67
molybdenum
Aspiring Ninja

Quote:
Ok, this makes sense. But so an Apex is about the same as Flatline then?
Honestly I've shot neither. My number is based on what I've seen others claim.

From a physics standpoint, however, a ball with the same spin and velocity should have the same trajectory, so they should be fairly similar.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 PM #68
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Quote:
Honestly I've shot neither. My number is based on what I've seen others claim.

From a physics standpoint, however, a ball with the same spin and velocity should have the same trajectory, so they should be fairly similar.
Ah, ok. Well, I haven't shot through a flatline even though I had one for a while. An Apex has the ability to change the angle of backspin (idk if that's the right way to put it, lol).

Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM #69
molybdenum
Aspiring Ninja

Quote:
Ah, ok. Well, I haven't shot through a flatline even though I had one for a while. An Apex has the ability to change the angle of backspin (idk if that's the right way to put it, lol).
That's true. An apex may have a greater range in certain situations solely because it has the ability to change the magnitude of the backspin.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM #70
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Quote:
That's true. An apex may have a greater range in certain situations solely because it has the ability to change the magnitude of the backspin.
Yeah, So paintball compared to airsoft are very similar compared to range. So for realism they are both very similar with things that are both realistic and not, and paintball has things that are more realistic than airsoft and vise versa.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 PM #71
molybdenum
Aspiring Ninja

Quote:
Yeah, So paintball compared to airsoft are very similar compared to range. So for realism they are both very similar with things that are both realistic and not, and paintball has things that are more realistic than airsoft and vise versa.
I meant the apex could have a greater range than a flat line. Airsoft will almost always win in terms of realism, and it seems that it will tend to have a longer range (excepting First Strike).
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM #72
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Quote:
I meant the apex could have a greater range than a flat line. Airsoft will almost always win in terms of realism, and it seems that it will tend to have a longer range (excepting First Strike).
But still, if you really wanted to, paintball would be just as realistic as airsoft. Not that many people go that far in paintball, but it can be done.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:09 PM #73
Spadesiswhack

even including first strike rounds the accuracy and range in airsoft is a lot better than in paintball. this is mostly due to the fact that a well-made BB is uniform and consistent - its weight is distributed evenly, it is perfectly spherical, and 100% solid, and with hop up it is applied backspin. paintballs by nature are less perfect. their construction is less uniform, they contain liquid and so backspin is FAR less effective, and their weight is not always distributed evenly.

Reasons to date a paintballer:
1. We spend boatloads of money
2. See above

Last edited by Spadesiswhack : 08-03-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Spadesiswhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:19 PM #74
Tongaduder

Tongaduder plays in the APPA beginner division
my airsoft buddy played pb with me one weekend. He said it was more action and fast paced
Gearbag Sale!

Tongaduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 PM #75
da-ninjabreadman

alright i joined this forum just to interject on this thread. i have been playing airsoft for 3 years and put about $1000 into it. i know how all the guns work and most of the different systems out there work. i have done modding on many guns. i own an airsoft rifle that can consistantly hit a man sized target at 100 yards with .43g bb's. i saw around the 2nd page of this thread that you guys were talking about 1000fps guns and yes they are possible but only with rifles that run off of HPA and are vary well reinforced they can be accurate with .80g bastard bb's but theres almost no need for hop up at that point. some guy is doing a project to try and get 1/4 mile range out of hid gun and seems to be coming along well of course its not feild legal but he is testing the limits of what can be done. as far as i know the record for an AEG is somewhere around 850fps and they have to constantly be replaceing parts. please PM me if you have more questions about airsoft, i love to answer them.
da-ninjabreadman is offline   Reply With Quote