Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM #1
interscope8
RIP Cale "Benji" Paschen

interscope8 helped look for balloons
interscope8 is playing at Living Legends III
Good Bases for Tanks

I am wanting to build a tank in a couple stages, spanned out over a year. This way cost won't hurt me to bad, but what I'm getting hung up on is a good chassi for the tank. I know that a little truck like an s10, ranger, or Dakota isnt a good idea because of how dangerous they can be. I read alot about the Taylor Dunn stuff and one of those would be sweet but they are also costly. Any other ideas?

I thought about an older all terrain golf cart, just barely running for cost reasons. Or mayb a beat up John deer gator or something like that. I'm looking at under $850 or so for the chassi
RIP CBP #40
Purdue Boilermakers
interscope8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 PM #2
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

for 850 to start off you can search for a golf cart. or if you get lucky you can find an old 6x6 for that

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 AM #3
interscope8
RIP Cale "Benji" Paschen

Sweet. Ultimatly I want a little project that will keep me busy for a couple winters. I also am using this to test my engineering aptitude because I want to attend college for mech. engineering soon. I was looking at golf carts on eBay and they were all kinda high. Any other sources you could recommend? Or should I just search local.
RIP CBP #40
Purdue Boilermakers
Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 AM #4
bruno v
Reservoir Dogs

Look at Craigs list under RV it has some good deals.

Valken * Quickshot * Gog/Luxe * Guerrilla Air * TechT * Xtreme Dreamz * Fog Doc* Deadlywind
Media partners
Help keep Paintball Alive * CatShack Reports *
bruno v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 PM #5
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
I would highly recommend a gator if you're not looking to use an actual VIN based vehicle. I have an electric golf cart that we use, which has a LOT of pros. But the battery life and inability to go through muddy terrain are big cons. We're building a tank out of an AWD Astro van now so we can haul lots of guns around the field. But we are limited to which fields we can use that at. So go gator.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:44 PM #6
labmaster

labmaster supports our troops
It all depends on the fields you plan on playing the most. If they do not allow VIN based vehicles then go golf cart. If they do then consider an old full-sized truck or jeep. Have you seen the Demon tank belonging to Gone Ballistic (jeep based)? I just finished building my first tank based upon an early 1980 Chevy Blazer (K5?) 3/4 ton four wheel drive truck. Massive turret in back and still room to add a smaller turret in the front passenger seat. Of course I also had to install a loudly obnoxious sound system as well. I like the contrast between the all black body and the bright yellow giant ladybug on top.

These are the sliding gun/cannon ports on the turret. We will limit the capacity of the feed system to three cases.

Last edited by labmaster : 03-04-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
labmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 PM #7
interscope8
RIP Cale "Benji" Paschen

I dont want a big VIN vehicle. I was looking for something on a slightly smaller scale (although i like the post above!) I figured a little gator or a gas golf cart would be safer but i wanted other input.
RIP CBP #40
Purdue Boilermakers
Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM #8
labmaster

Another option that you probably haven't thought of; a PUG. A PUG is a man-powered tank that usually consists of a framework with netting. One version is very lightwieght and basically gets worn by the user, the other is a heavier frame normally using three wheels. I can post some pictures if you are interested.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM #9
Team Predator
predator

Team Predator donated to help Peyton Trent
Team Predator is playing at Living Legends III
Team Predator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
See if you can get a kawasaki mule type vehicle. We built ours on one and we devastate ground troops. Enough room for 2 guys in back and 2 in front(with Egos). We can go anywhere!!! All the other tanks have to stay on established roads or really wide trails. We put ours into 4wd and come through areas that tanks are never thought to go! Ground clearance is a big issue. Golf carts dont have much. Also, the smaller you go, the smaller the target. You can run circles around some of these monstrosities that are brought on the field.

2008 Battle of the Bulge MVT
2010 Fallout/Wasteland MVT-Fallout/Wasteland MOFO Award
MVT Dark OpsExtreme VIII
Team Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 PM #10
interscope8
RIP Cale "Benji" Paschen

I like the above post, thank you for the sugestion. I am not to keen on the walking tank, I want a machine thank you
RIP CBP #40
Purdue Boilermakers
Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 PM #11
labmaster

I understand. I also thought the same until I used one at a MOUT game. It was so cool sneaking up on players in a 'tank'. Couldn't quite barrel tag them due to the 20 foot rule but you should have seen the expressions on their faces when I cleared my throat and they found themselves staring down the barrel of a marker and sometimes for fun the barrel of my cannon. A couple of times I just stayed real quite after I got behind them and just waited for them to notice me. I had a couple of refs literally rolling on the ground laughing as they waited for me to do something. I was waiting behind this one guy for several minutes before he noticed me. Talk about battlefield awareness. It seems the three refs that had collected nearby and watching the situation were taking bets as to wether or not he would notice me before I got tired and shot him.

However, I would go with a decently powered gas golf cart that is not running right. If you have a friend or neighbor that is good with small engines you may be able to get work done for just cost of parts, pizza and beer.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 PM #12
interscope8
RIP Cale "Benji" Paschen

My dad is a car guy so he could fix about anything under the hood. And I will begin a local hunt for a golf cart I plan on getting a utility style one because they generally can carry a larger load, which will be nessecary for a frame and such, I'm thinking a 2 man crew, driver/ forward gunner, 360 turret gunner with a cannon in the turret as well.
RIP CBP #40
Purdue Boilermakers
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 PM #13
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

has been a member for 10 years
anjordan77 plays in the USPL
anjordan77 donated to help Peyton Trent
anjordan77 helped look for balloons
anjordan77 is playing at Living Legends III
anjordan77 is Boss
That's a pretty cool getup on the truck bed.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 AM #14
N2extreme1

My tank is based off of a carryall gas powered golf cart. I carry driver and gunner in the front, turret gunner in the middle and 2 rear gunners. Just have to be creative with space.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 AM #15
interscope8
RIP Cale "Benji" Paschen

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2extreme1 View Post
My tank is based off of a carryall gas powered golf cart. I carry driver and gunner in the front, turret gunner in the middle and 2 rear gunners. Just have to be creative with space.
Pictures?
RIP CBP #40
Purdue Boilermakers
Old 03-05-2010, 06:31 AM #16
Boom Master
Scenario Player

When it comes to tanks, SMALLER is Better. I hunted tanks for years and they bigger they are the easier they are to hit. Something to consider. Golf Cart, 4 wheeler, mini car, Lawnmower. Then I built a tank.

Took smaller to an extreme. I can go through doorways. 30" wide. I built a PUG walking tank. Man Powered tank have one huge advantage.

Many games will allow you to go OFF the tank roads since you won't crunch any bones if you step on someone. So they follow unpredicable routes and can accompany infantry where THEY need to go. The RPG guys have to pursue it instead of napping beside a tank road. Imagine in that picture you are the gunner in a tank. 40-50 yards away. Bit of a small target even totally exposed. Add a 20 inch oak tree and it is half covered. A spool, bunker, etc is good cover.

The secret is the material I make it out of. Polycarbonte twin wall. Very tough, super light. That shell is 22 pounds counting the legs. Add 40 pounds of paintball gear and it is battle ready. That includes a 19 pound, 513 ci x 3000 psi air tank so it can be playable for less than 65 pounds. That runs a 1 rps Autoloading Nerf cannon. Now imagine yourself as a tank gunner in that picture. You are an EASY target. I can get off 6 shots at you before you can reload for your second.

Cheap to build, maintain, and transport. You could be PLAYING in your tank this spring...
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM #17
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Predator View Post
See if you can get a kawasaki mule type vehicle. We built ours on one and we devastate ground troops. Enough room for 2 guys in back and 2 in front(with Egos). We can go anywhere!!! All the other tanks have to stay on established roads or really wide trails. We put ours into 4wd and come through areas that tanks are never thought to go! Ground clearance is a big issue. Golf carts dont have much. Also, the smaller you go, the smaller the target. You can run circles around some of these monstrosities that are brought on the field.
He only wants to spend like 800 bucks .Can you get a mule or gator for that?
A Gator would be a great halftrack vehicle

Dont pull his leg Joe, a 6x6 or 8x8 can go off the trails as good or better than anything else. It is possible to get anything stuck of course. so you have to watch where you go. for snow and mud i havent seen anything better than 6 wheel or 8 wheel drive besides something with tracks

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 AM #18
labmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjordan77 View Post
That's a pretty cool getup on the truck bed.
Thanks, it was made totally from scratch. The turret can fit even the biggest gunner. A 6'8" guy tried it and he still had room to run his hand thru his hair. It is also really wide which is good because I am not dainty by any means. The side boxes each hold 1200 watts of speakers. I bought a pair of 600W bazooka tubes but they are too big for mounting inside; thinking about mounting them on top of the side boxes.

One thing you need to think about is that there are basically two types of tanks; ground support and tank killers. The ground support tend to be larger and have more anti-personnel firepower while the tank killers tend to be smaller and have less AP ability. It also depends on what the rules are where you play. Most fields (I think) use nerf rockets while some use kill plates. If kill plates are used it doesn't matter how big your tank is (except for concealment) because the kill plate remains the same.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 PM #19
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
Cheap to build, maintain, and transport. You could be PLAYING in your tank this spring...
The idea of walking tanks is ridiculous. You're not a tank. You're a guy with a fancy hat. Why not just strap a bunch of netting to your mask and wear it like a muslim hijab?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:31 PM #20
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy007 View Post
The idea of walking tanks is ridiculous. You're not a tank. You're a guy with a fancy hat. Why not just strap a bunch of netting to your mask and wear it like a muslim hijab?
lol my thoughts exactly. but if the rules prohibit motorized tanks its better than nothing. but id make a larger realistic one that a few guys go in and push

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 03-05-2010, 02:47 PM #21
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
lol my thoughts exactly. but if the rules prohibit motorized tanks its better than nothing. but id make a larger realistic one that a few guys go in and push
I've seen plenty of those. That's a hell of a lot easier to respect than a guy who just takes his bunker with him