Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 AM #43
pete dupont
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2N View Post
im 19 i get my jollys off shooting people in the face..
Can you shoot people in the face shooting semi? Or do it with ramping.
pete dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM #44
FU2N
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete dupont View Post
Can you shoot people in the face shooting semi? Or do it with ramping.
i can do it with both. i perfer psp though
FU2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM #45
Cowboz
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NH
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Cowboz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Cowboz has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
In my experience, Lori and Anthony will do 1) what he players want and 2) what they feel is best for the league. Considering that 5 man is novice (relatively inexperienced players) IMHO, it makes little sense for it to be ramping. Personally I could care less if 5 man, Xball or 7 man were rapming or not. I've heard with and agree with many of the arguments for ramping. However, I've also noticed that allot of the skill (snap shooting for example) tends to be lost or gradually decline as a result of ramping (could it be players lazyness and too much reliance ont the gun's RoF?).

Back to the original poster's question: Send Lori an PM asking about it. If the feed back from most of the owner's/captians is in agreement that ramping should be allowed in 5 man, then it may happen. But as a suggestion, there also is the D2/D3 5 man which does allow ramping.
__________________
Proudly Sponsored by:
D&D Paintball
Shipyard Brewing
Special thanks to Fox4 Paintball
Cowboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 PM #46
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!
 
bmoney003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rhody
bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboz View Post
In my experience, Lori and Anthony will do 1) what he players want and 2) what they feel is best for the league. Considering that 5 man is novice (relatively inexperienced players) IMHO, it makes little sense for it to be ramping. Personally I could care less if 5 man, Xball or 7 man were rapming or not. I've heard with and agree with many of the arguments for ramping. However, I've also noticed that allot of the skill (snap shooting for example) tends to be lost or gradually decline as a result of ramping (could it be players lazyness and too much reliance ont the gun's RoF?).

Back to the original poster's question: Send Lori an PM asking about it. If the feed back from most of the owner's/captians is in agreement that ramping should be allowed in 5 man, then it may happen. But as a suggestion, there also is the D2/D3 5 man which does allow ramping.

Skip not to argue....but i dont agree with your saying snap shotting is effected by ramping. it has nothing to do with snapping...the ONLY thing i see id effecting is Laning, running and gunning, and shooting and loading (which is actually related to laning).

Brian
__________________
Fox4paintball
| Planet Eclipse |
bmoney003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM #47
NTran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NH
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
You can take it both ways.

You can say, ramping makes it easier to run n shoot, reload and shoot, and lane. At the opposite end, it causes a player to have to be more athletic to make it to bunkers off the break and be smarter as to when he can run through lanes.

Regardless, if you play in a semi format or ramping format there is still a disparity of skills.

When we started XBall, we had to adjust to the ramping. We didn't use it to its full potential because we weren't used to ramping. In the end, it isn't ramping or semi that makes a game easier, its the players skills. We don't win/lose games because of semi or ramping. It is because of our skill sets and team work.

It's really a matter of preference.
__________________
Noel Tran
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM #48
Seekey
Dave
 
Seekey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Clinton, MA
Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
If you played a league that allowed both Uncapped semi auto or 12.5 ramping....which one would you chose.
__________________
Fotron/Invasion
PSP | NEXL | foxBall
Seekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 PM #49
NTran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NH
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
If you played a league that allowed both Uncapped semi auto or 12.5 ramping....which one would you chose.
12.5 because it makes running and shooting easier for me.
__________________
Noel Tran
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM #50
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!
 
bmoney003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rhody
bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
12.5

(mind you I have pretty friggin fast fingers...my gun was always checked for cheating....lol)
__________________
Fox4paintball
| Planet Eclipse |
bmoney003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM #51
Seekey
Dave
 
Seekey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Clinton, MA
Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
would you say you are making this choice because it makes things easier as a player?
__________________
Fotron/Invasion
PSP | NEXL | foxBall
Seekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM #52
PWSSH IM AGG
 
 
PWSSH IM AGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
PWSSH IM AGG plays in the PSP
PWSSH IM AGG plays in the APPA D4 division
i prefer 12.5 so when im poddin i can look agg with 1 hand shootin while poddin and i can look agg with a tank on my shoulder gunnin to a bunker agg
PWSSH IM AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM #53
jmac3
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
would you say you are making this choice because it makes things easier as a player?

I wouldn't say it makes things a whole lot easier.

It allows you to hold lanes a bit easier while you reload, and keeps the ROF consistent when running and gunning. You still need to be able to shoot though. I think it also makes it a bit easier to get your lane started off the break. So if you can't run and gun ramping isn't going to help. Ramping helps ZERO when snapping.

Also, if given a choice between 12.5 and uncapped semi. That would be hard. I think I would choose 12.5 just because I like playing with ramp more. I am with bmoney though, I shoot fast so it's kind of a disadvantage. People thinking my gun is ramping or bouncing is LOL
jmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM #54
FU2N
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSSH IM AGG View Post
i prefer 12.5 so when im poddin i can look agg with 1 hand shootin while poddin and i can look agg with a tank on my shoulder gunnin to a bunker agg
12.5 is boring i perfer 15.4
FU2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 PM #55
sliver1489
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mass
 has been a member for 10 years
ramping helps me snap lefty because I have fat slow fingers and can only hit like 10bps. So even tho it doesn't mean **** for accuracy and how fast/tight my snap is, it does allow me to get a couple extra balls in the air.

and I like ramping more because I find it more fun and it levels the playing field
__________________
Section 8
sliver1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM #56
NTran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NH
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
would you say you are making this choice because it makes things easier as a player?
well ya i would. its easier to shoot the gun.

if the other team is using ramp, then ill have to work harder off the break though and be smarter about my moves.

i get the choice of playing paintball with 1 ball or 1000. I choose 1000.

We can make the same argument of semi v ramp as to pump versus electro.

why isnt everyone using pumps?
electros are sooo much faster and they notoriously bounce.
its easier to shoot an ego than it is a pump.

BUT, if you are comparing a pump game to an xball game then those are just 2 different formats.
you need to play differently to compete.
__________________
Noel Tran
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM #57
patenaude37
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
ok paintball is like anything, you gotta rank your way up the system and gain skill. You start with three man, then as you progress you do 5 man novice. After you are winning 5 man novice id say you are gaining a feel for the sport. 5 man nepl is a novice division because of the novice level skill.

After that you decide whether you want to go into the x ball format or the 7 man format, or both if thats what you choose. The sport has happened to progress into those two different formats, with different styles of play for both. If your truly a good x ball player your going to have the same gun fighting skills as a 7 man player but the use of your skills might be different because of how the fields are played out and so on. And the coaching just throws in a whole new aspect.

Also, your teams approach to a game is going to effect how it is played. People know x ball as a faster paced game with ramping and coaching, so even if your new to the x ball format, your going to treat it in this fast paced manner and try to push the field. I was mainly a 7 man player, so this year when teams like Section 8 played the event we were like ok these guys are x ball players, so be prepared for a fast paced game, and what happened, they were up the field in a second.
patenaude37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 PM #58
VSOwnage
Pursuit of Professional
 
VSOwnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
VSOwnage plays in the PSP
VSOwnage is an NCPA player
VSOwnage plays in the APPA D3 division
The whole concept of implementing PSP Ramp in the NCPA..and PSP for that matter was to even the playing field. Less questions about so and so shooting too fast and what have you.
__________________
Mass. Maritime Paintball - NCPA
Preferred Mob - PSP/NEXL
South Boston Mob - foXball
Fox 4 Paintball - Upton, MA
VSOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 AM #59
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!
 
bmoney003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rhody
bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kind of think of it as the more skilled (advanced with experience you are) the arbitrary things become easier for you by rules/conditions etc.

lets take amatuer baseball vs colleg/pro. fielding a grounball as an amatuer is torture on most fields because they suck! but shoudnt it be easier for an am? where as in pro's they HAVE the great hands/....but they have fields where a bad hop is RARE. so its soooo easy to field a ball (where it would HELP an am a ton! but wouldnt help them learn how to have soft hands and absorb bad hops))

this is like how the NXL used FULL AUTO ramp...it takes the part the pro's dont need help with (fast fingers) out of the equation even though they probably have fast fingers from years of playing...

It allows for players to forget about the mundane arbitraty thing like walking a trigger...and concentrate on the finer points of the game such as..laning, running and gunning, snapping, moving.

NOw with all that said....i think young players should be FORCED to start in semi...because they are tending to use ramping as a crutch and never learn the proper skills first..

I choose 12.5 because i have played high comp paintball in semi....so now i want/can have the luxury of ramping...and concentrate on the finer parts of the game...
__________________
Fox4paintball
| Planet Eclipse |
bmoney003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:28 AM #60
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing
 
Shecki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Annual Supporting Member
Shecki is a Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Shecki supports our troops
Shecki plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
If you played a league that allowed both Uncapped semi auto or 12.5 ramping....which one would you chose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
would you say you are making this choice because it makes things easier as a player?
I'd pick 12.5 ramp.....simply because it's controlled. It brings another consistancy to the game. If everyone is shooting at the same speed, then you're relying more on your athletic skill sets as a player to help you win games. Not only that, but playing in semi/uncapped has so many variables in it, that's it's damn near impossible to control. You'll have some guys that step on the field with their guns set up correctly (one pull/one shot) shooting 12-14 BPS, but then the guy behind him shooting 20+bps trying to tell a ref that "he just shoots that fast"...in which he clearly doesn't, so at that point you might as well play at a 12.5 ramp anyway.

It's a lot like racing Nascar or something like that. There are rules to follow...so that y the cars are close to idetical, so that the best driver that day...is going to win. In uncapped paintball, you have a guy that's shooting a 12-14 bps lane against a guy shooting a 20bps lane. You cap them, well then how accurate they are, an how skilled they are plays a much bigger role.

Also, in regards to ROF. I'd prefer a lower ROF...10-12, over 15. I've played at both rates, and it doesn't change the game that much, if at all. Fields can be adjusted to accomidate these ROF's...and make one layout play just as difficult as another. Why wouldn't you want to spend less money on paint, and still play just as much paintball? Again, as long as it's consistant, and the other team is doing the same thing...it shouldn't matter. I liken it to anyone who complained about playing on the angel field at the cape. My response to that always was ..."well, it sucks for the other team just as much to run in the sand".

Last edited by Shecki : 02-26-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Shecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:45 AM #61
Seekey
Dave
 
Seekey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Clinton, MA
Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
My question was if you played a league that allowed both which would you choose....knowing you could go play a team throwing up bigger lanes.

Semi for the ROF peaks.
or
12.5 for overall consistancy.

Id choose 12.5 personally. it doesnt feel much differnt to me but I generally dont have a bouncing mega machine gun lol.

Im asking the question to really get a true answer. Do players choose 12.5 because it makes the game easier to play or do they choose 12.5 because it makes it more fair.

I guess I shouldnt say makes it easier to play....more like what Brian said "It allows for players to forget about the mundane arbitraty thing like walking a trigger"....Even if i was going up against Pierces mega machine gun geo...id rather focus on other things than just rof....and im just as comfortable shooting people out of their bunkers with 12 than i am with 14ish.
__________________
Fotron/Invasion
PSP | NEXL | foxBall
Seekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 AM #62
NTran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NH
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekey View Post
My question was if you played a league that allowed both which would you choose....knowing you could go play a team throwing up bigger lanes.

Semi for the ROF peaks.
or
12.5 for overall consistancy.

Id choose 12.5 personally. it doesnt feel much differnt to me but I generally dont have a bouncing mega machine gun lol.

Im asking the question to really get a true answer. Do players choose 12.5 because it makes the game easier to play or do they choose 12.5 because it makes it more fair.

I guess I shouldnt say makes it easier to play....more like what Brian said "It allows for players to forget about the mundane arbitraty thing like walking a trigger"....Even if i was going up against Pierces mega machine gun geo...id rather focus on other things than just rof....and im just as comfortable shooting people out of their bunkers with 12 than i am with 14ish.
Well obviously if I have a CHOICE, I would choose 12.5 because its easier to me. I choose to use a DM over a tippmann because its easier. If you are given a choice, you tend to go with whats best for you. It's not fair to use 12.5 ramp if its against the rules but if it is part of the rules than it is fair because everyone gets that choice.
__________________
Noel Tran
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 AM #63
Paintball631 (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Harlem
Paintball631 plays in the PSP
Paintball631 plays in the APPA D4 division
PSP is Agg.. 7man is Nagg.. ramping is Agg.. Semi is Nagg..

You want to be Agg? Change the r.o.f to be agg. agg.

nuff said.
Paintball631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump