PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 PM #1
jakekojeski
Lucky Me.

has been a member for 10 years
Windows 7 help (constantly freezing)

I have a hp dv7 laptop that i got last summer, and it came loaded with vista. Well it wasnt quite as fast as i would of hoped, and vista was always bugging out, so i got a windows 7 cd from my buddy and upgraded...or so i thought.

Since i have installed it, it will constantly freeze up. Just about every 10 or so minutes(sometimes almost once a minute), whatever screen is open will freeze up and fade out and itll say not responding in the task bar, and itll just sit like that for about a minute until and then go back to normal. Dosent matter what screen is open, or what im doing, it still does it. Even if i close everything and just play with may desktop, the start bar will eventually freeze up. I can move the mouse, just nothing will respond.

It is beyond a nuisance, its unbearable. Someone please help!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
jakekojeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 PM #2
Zepplify
NY Chaos

Zepplify owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Hmm its a possibility that you installed a version of 7 that your computer cannot process. IE you installed a 64bit version your CPU can only deal with a 32bit windows. Please post the specifications of your computer; make, model and in system properties also provide us with the version of Windows7 you have
Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 PM #3
Jocasta (Banned)

It wont let you install 64 bit on a machine with a 32 bit CPU.
Jocasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 PM #4
Zepplify
NY Chaos

Zepplify owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Well I feel stupid. I blame the hard drive
Old 02-20-2010, 09:46 PM #5
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
it could be a lot of things but it not going to be an os issue. you have some bad part in the laptop that damaged vista and when you installed the windows 7 upgrade it was not a clean install and it just made the hardware issue worst. I would start out by taking out the battery and power from the laptop and flip it over and reseat the ram on the bottom and blow out any dust in the fans.i would then download and run memtest from a boot cd to check to see if you have some bad ram. if it passes i would download ami diags or other pc burn in program and run a hard drive and system test to see if the hard drive or cpu has an issue. if you think is a virus try scanning with a good anti virus or fdisk and reformat the hd and put the factory image back on then windows 7 or just format and use a full version of windows 7.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:14 PM #6
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
i'd do the hard drive test first. unscrew the cover and see what brand the drive is, then go to the manufacturer's website and download the drive fitness tool. i know WD and seagate both have windows versions.

also, open up the task manager, and see if anything is using more CPU time than it should when this happens. could be a process freaking out and redlining the CPU at the expense of anything else running.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 PM #7
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
also run ccleaner and hijack this log and post it here.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM #8
Young_Grasshopper
BMW ///M POWER

Young_Grasshopper is reppin' sidebar 4 life
that sounds like what was happening to me, I have a quad-core at 3.0 ghz and 8 GB (panty-dropper ) and it was freezing up just running firefox, so I did the drive fitness test and it failed and Samsung shipped me a new one.
Young_Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote