PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM #1
IMPMAN2005
Stoopid Munkey

has been a member for 10 years
Because I'm not Christian?

Ok, could one of you Christians out there explain to me why one of my ex girlfriends ended our relationship because I wasn't Christian?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 PM #2
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Are you sure that was the reason?

Or was it just the reason she told you about?

Hypothetically if you didn't support her in her beliefs, and degraded her because of them it would be a pretty darn good reason for her to leave you. Not because you didn't share the beliefs, but because you were a douche about it (remember it's a hypothetical example, you're probably a real nice person).

You'll have to be more specific about what kind of "Christian" she is. In use the term has a very broad meaning.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 PM #3
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Not to rain on your parade, but that probably isn't the true reason why she ended the relationship.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 PM #4
Benshan

Personally if you don't share the same beliefs I don't think it could have worked out anyway. A persons religion helps to shape there worldview and who they are as a person. If two people don't share that world view it can be hard if not impossible to stay together. In the Bible it does tell Christ followers not to be "unequally yoked" I could look it up if you want the chapter and verse but I believe in context it is referring to business transactions but in principle it would apply to all relationships.
ChristKrew #265

http://www.specopsbrigade.com/member_view.php?id=178442
Benshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 PM #5
IMPMAN2005
Stoopid Munkey

Fubarius, I would debate with her brother on the topic quite a bit, but I was always respectful. Her whole family are weslyan methodist if that means anything.

Crede777, yeah your probably right.

Benshan, I believe you are referring to 2 Corinthians 6:14-18. It also states that non-believers are wicked. Am I reading that right?

Last edited by IMPMAN2005 : 02-18-2010 at 11:40 PM.
IMPMAN2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 PM #6
GFX260
Jesse Day

GFX260 supports Team VICIOUS
GFX260 is for the Gunfight
I don't know any of them personally, so I can't say. so.... here's some guesstimates:

as previously stated, that's probably not why it ended, but it's a good "excuse".

debating her family couldn't have helped no matter how civil you guys kept it.

truthfully, either she's that closed minded or y'all are really too different, so it's probably not such a loss
GFX260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 PM #7
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPMAN2005 View Post
Fubarius, I would debate with her brother on the topic quite a bit, but I was always respectful. Her whole family are weslyan methodist if that means anything.

Crede777, yeah your probably right.

Benshan, I believe you are referring to 2 Corinthians 6:14-18. It also states that non-believers are wicked. Am I reading that right?
no, it's saying that they serve a lord other than Christ, which is by semantic definition wicked, but it isn't calling non-believers evil. Paul basically advises against entering into marriage with a non-believer because it is going to be a big conflict, but he also states that if you are in a relationship with a non-believer then don't end it because who knows what God could use to attract them. It's a fine line and there are a huge range of beliefs as to where you are supposed to draw the line.

Personally, I look at the verses and I believe that as long as your relationship with a non-believer does not cause you to stumble in your path then you are not compelled to abandon it. However, if there is often conflict and disharmony because of the belief then it is clearer what should happen.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM #8
~*Encounter88*~
mechanical engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but that probably isn't the true reason why she ended the relationship.

true because you werent eatn the ***** buddy lolzz
~*Encounter88*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 PM #9
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death

Many practicing Christians are woefully ignorant. Move on.

"A prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
T-Vizz the 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 PM #10
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

As a Christian, I wouldn't enter a relationship with a non Christian. The reasons are fairly straightforward - my faith shapes my decisions in every area of life. I'm not a person who happens to be a Christian - I'm a Christian who happens to live around people. It's the most fundamental part of my being in many ways. Entering a relationship with someone who doesn't share something as utterly foundational as my faith is just silly. Marrying one would be even worse, it'd be like tying two horses that were being told to go in different directions to the same carriage. It's obviously not going to work without compromise, but I'm not willing to compromise my faith. To compromise my faith would render it pointless.

That's probably her reasoning too, depending on the type of Christian she is. It'll also be family pressure. If I were her Dad I wouldn't want her marrying a non Christian for exactly the reasons I've already stated. There are other reasons too - the Bible says pretty clearly that entering a marriage with a non Christian is just asking for trouble. Also, I couldn't bear to know that my wife wasn't saved. That would tear me up inside every day.

That shouldn't be too hard to understand...

Last edited by vijil : 04-01-2010 at 11:31 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 AM #11
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wow, dug up for a ***** joke.

Anyways, I don't actually know her so my prior assessment of it probably not being the true reason for her canning the relationship may be off.

It's either that she associates Christianity with ideals that she feels are central to who she is. Meaning, if you're not Christian, you aren't like her. We can debate whether this is right or wrong, but what's important is what she perceives and if she thinks not being Christian means you guys are dissimilar, then that's how she'll behave.

Or it's as I said before, a scapegoat.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 AM #12
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
As a Christian, I wouldn't enter a relationship with a non Christian. The reasons are fairly straightforward - my faith shapes my decisions in every area of life. I'm not a person who happens to be a Christian - I'm a Christian who happens to live around people. It's the most fundamental part of my being in many ways. Entering a relationship with someone who doesn't share something as utterly foundational as my faith is just silly. Marrying one would be even worse, it'd be like tying two horses that were being told to go in different directions to the same carriage. It's obviously not going to work without compromise, but I'm not willing to compromise my faith. To compromise my faith would render it pointless.

That's probably her reasoning too, depending on the type of Christian she is. It'll also be family pressure. If I were her Dad I wouldn't want her marrying a non Christian for exactly the reasons I've already stated. There are other reasons too - the Bible says pretty clearly that entering a marriage with a non Christian is just asking for trouble. Also, I couldn't bear to know that my wife wasn't saved. That would tear me up inside every day.

Case and point.

"A prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM #13
hsilman
Disgustipated

it's "case in point", and of what?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:13 PM #14
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
it's "case in point", and of what?
Bold. Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post

That's probably her reasoning too, depending on the type of Christian she is. It'll also be[color="Red"] family pressure] If I were her Dad I wouldn't want her marrying a non Christian for exactly the reasons I've already stated. There are other reasons too - the Bible says pretty clearly that entering a marriage with a non Christian is just asking for trouble. Also, I couldn't bear to know that my wife wasn't saved. That would tear me up inside every day.

Last edited by T-Vizz the 2nd : 04-04-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:14 PM #15
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

T-Vizz, were you saying in your first post that many practicing Christian are ignorant of how much it goes against their own professed beliefs to get into a relationship with an NC in the first place? If so, I would agree with you there.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 PM #16
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death

Well, Many are hypocrites, which is kind of what you are saying.

Many are Irrational and ignorant of the facts for flowing a religion they have no/little evidence to believe is correct. Which is what I am saying.

If you can rationally and reasonably respond to this I will consider your position. Please note, saying you agree with it as a historical account dose not help your cause.

For some reason it's not playing, just click on it.

Last edited by T-Vizz the 2nd : 04-04-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:30 PM #17
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

I'm not interested in a debate, even if you weren't deliberately trying to drag the thread off topic. If you want to debate this stuff be a sport and put it in the relevant topic or make a new one.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 AM #18
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Vizz the 2nd View Post
Well, Many are hypocrites, which is kind of what you are saying.

Many are Irrational and ignorant of the facts for flowing a religion they have no/little evidence to believe is correct. Which is what I am saying.

If you can rationally and reasonably respond to this I will consider your position. Please note, saying you agree with it as a historical account dose not help your cause.

For some reason it's not playing, just click on it.
now, not saying at all this is related to christian/not christian but:

if you believed the purpose of a relationship is so you could **** like rabbits 24/7, and your girlfriend only wanted to have sex once every other month, how well would that relationship work out?

It's not wrong or "ignorant" to want to hold similar values as your lifelong partner. It's ignorant and stupid to think the relationship will work if you don't.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM #19
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death

Yes, that is a perfectly valid point, but I am arguing against starting logic, not the conclusion.

I am arguing against basing ones life upon a 2,000 year old book written by regular people.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 PM #20
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Yes, that is a perfectly valid point, but I am arguing against starting logic, not the conclusion.

I am arguing against basing ones life upon a 2,000 year old book written by regular people.
you're not arguing at all. That's called an ad hominem fallacy. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM #21
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:

is that you in the video