Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 AM #1
DasWolfenstein

Paintball Mortar

So I was thinking about a paintball mortar system. A portable, light weight, and effective system. Could it be made like a law both with a prong on it an maybe a longer barrel? That could shoot small paintball grenades, and nerfs?
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 PM #2
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasWolfenstein View Post
So I was thinking about a paintball mortar system. A portable, light weight, and effective system. Could it be made like a law both with a prong on it an maybe a longer barrel? That could shoot small paintball grenades, and nerfs?
Useless.

Grenades are a no-go. You'll brain somebody. Nerfs don't effectively mark people out, and players just walk out of the radius before a ref gets there. Loose paintballs are even more useless than nerfs.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 PM #3
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

We made a mortar. and it works very well. As stated above grenades are too heavy and hard to launch. But We use a small water ballon filled with a washable paint. this works very well as any allied on gold beach at ION 08 can tell you. you can use a 2 inch or 3 inchbarrel. 3 inch is ideal because the 2 inch ones are far too small.we can fire the 3 inch rounds about 80 yards . the 3 inch ones break very eisily on impact. Make the rounds somewhat smaller than the diameter of the barrel so they dont break in it. Of course you have to use a sabot. some guys use cardboard i use disposable cups. they drop like 15 feet in front of where you fire them just make a cut in one side 3/4 the way down.

our mortar has a 2 inch x 24 inch steel black pipe air chamber attatched to a 1.5 inch steel ball valve. you must slap it fast to fire correctly. From messing around ive found out its very hard to launch a 3 inch ballon with a sprinkler valve. make sure you use a pressure gauge,regulator and 125 psi saftey valve

Being a mortar man is TONS of fun. you pretty much will just want to shell the other guys all day lol

Keep in mind some fields might not allow certain types of ammo. but if you ask me the chances of a small ballon dropping on you and taking your mask off is Very slim. a pricker bush would be far more likley to pull your mask off.
the ballons almost always break on impact if you use ones designed for water

for more info check out the weapons section of my forums

1.SS Panzer Korps

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 02-16-2010 at 01:36 PM.
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:35 PM #4
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
Keep in mind some fields might not allow certain types of ammo. but if you ask me the chances of a small ballon dropping on you and taking your mask off is Very slim.
That's the inherent problem with getting mortars approved. Every insurance agent, field owner, and promoter sees things differently.

I've been whining for years to just let high angle guns have long barrels and run higher velocities, get some legit artillery on the field in a safe manner. It's still a no-go because of the insurance velocity mandates.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 PM #5
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

our mortar fires far less than the 230 nerfs go. i havent chronoed it but you can easily tell. its real fun to watch it goes like 75 yards in the air and takes about 6 seconds from launch to impact. even if you cant use it everywhere its still fun to mess around with.

Id loove to see more artillery inpaintball. the russians have way cooler games than us its sad

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM #6
getupfront
CHILD SOLDIER

i like makin it rain with my ego. it just takes a little practice an u can use it in open recball fields and in treeless areas. gets kills.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM #7
DasWolfenstein

BlackAngel I love your mortar I'll try something like that but maybe smaller something I could mount on my back.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM #8
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
We made a mortar.
I've got a few more questions now that I've chewed on it a bit. What do you do when your base is in the woods? How do you haul it around, and how much of a pain is that? Can you eliminate enough people to justify dragging it 300+ yards?

Also on the balloons, what height do the reach, how much do they weight, and have you drop tested them against manaquins? My sister is an insurance underwriter, so I know these are questions she would ask me if it came up.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 PM #9
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy007 View Post
I've got a few more questions now that I've chewed on it a bit. What do you do when your base is in the woods? How do you haul it around, and how much of a pain is that? Can you eliminate enough people to justify dragging it 300+ yards?

Also on the balloons, what height do the reach, how much do they weight, and have you drop tested them against manaquins? My sister is an insurance underwriter, so I know these are questions she would ask me if it came up.
Im a former US Marine machine gunner. so carrying a paintball mortar 300 yards is a joke l. it weighs less than 20 lbs i imagine. Its a crew served weapon so a few people carry different parts anyway. We carry the ammo in 5 gallon buckets. We also have a tank that can transport stuff for us if needed.

"Base on the woods" we dont bother to use it in the woods. the rounds break on the branches and sprat paint all over us. we only use it where there is a clear path above the target. its angle is the same as a real mortar as it is indirect fire. the weapon is very consistant and will land rounds withing a 10 yard area all you want

Eliminations. keep in mind we fire it from a concealed position so i cant really see if we hit anyone most of the time. but i have had quite a few people tell us they saw hits and it was funny as hell.For Example ION 08 we dropped one right on an allied players head before the gate even dropped. Its not going to win the entire game for you but,its a serious distraction to the other guys, Its also pretty cool and ads to the game. some will cry of course.but thats thier problem.I welcome the other guys to mortar us .

Testing- as i said we use ballons that break very easily, theres very little chance wed knock anyones mask off. we have directly dropped rounds on at least 4 peoples heads with no injury or mask coming off. they can be made from 4 oz to 9 oz. the 4 oz or somewhat smaller ones fit in the 2 inch barrel(still use a sabot). I use 8 oz average in the 3 inch barrel.which is the most effective. while the 2 inch rounds travel close to 200 yards they dont have much effect on landing are are less likley to break. the 3 inch rounds shoot around 80 yards but break very easily.

Grenades- they are too hard and i dont advise anyone to launch them from a mortar. If you had a game where everyone had helmets that would be one thing.

A semi auto paintgun shooting a 15 round burst or a thorn bush has a far greater chance of taking off a mask.

Im not for laming our sport in order to please bean counters. but i obviouslt understand things have to be safe.

I am going to make a vid in the spring of me direct firing mortar rounds at a dummy with a mask from the proper direction to see if its even possible to take one off. I dont see it happening with one shot

here is a few very basic cell pphone vids of it during practice

http://www.youtube.com/user/SSBlackA.../0/Aswe7BfqEwY

http://www.youtube.com/user/SSBlackA.../1/T2c_j8MLvvc

1.SS Panzer Korps

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 02-17-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM #10
indy007
ND Toy Company

Dropped them on somebody's head by... what? Hand? I'm a stickler for empirical studies. To cover yourself for insurance, you need videos of it striking a dummy at game velocities from multiple angles and proving itself to be safe. I've also seen a water balloon hit to the face sent somebody to the hospital with a broken nose and stitches from where his teeth punched through his lips & gums. I'm all for the idea... I just hate lawyers.

I'm a featherweight, so dragging something 20 pounds around doesn't float my boat. Why not just use a water balloon slingshot? Same effect, more portable, weighs only a few ounces, no air source required.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 PM #11
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Dropped them on somebody's head by... what? Hand? I'm a stickler for empirical studies. To cover yourself for insurance, you need videos of it striking a dummy at game velocities from multiple angles and proving itself to be safe. I've also seen a water balloon hit to the face sent somebody to the hospital with a broken nose and stitches from where his teeth punched through his lips & gums. I'm all for the idea... I just hate lawyers.

I'm a featherweight, so dragging something 20 pounds around doesn't float my boat. Why not just use a water balloon slingshot? Same effect, more portable, weighs only a few ounces, no air source required.
We scored a few direct hits at a few different games that we know about.Everyone thought it was funny as hell and no one was injured. i dont use it alot becuas eits alot of work. i already have to make sure all our other weapons are working. like pour Tank, PAK 40 anti tank cannon ect. so dealing with the mortar too is not always possible.but it is VERY fun. like i said make one and mess with it in your yard and youll see.

I dont want to use a slingshot because its lame and we are into realistic weapons.I try to add to the games not make them a mockery.Anyone who cant carry a 20 lb mortar a few hundred feet shouldnt play with us.We are a WW2 milsim Unit. the balloons are pretty light and fall at a low velocity. theres no way its going to "Knock someones teeth out" Its a low velocity indirect fire weapon.

ill make a vid when i get around to it.In the test id obviously have to determine the velocity at which they fall then fire them at a horizontal dummy with a mask on to see the effect. I think a little balloon is still far far safer than a 250 pound linebacker tackling you but football still gets insured.

1.SS Panzer Korps

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 02-18-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM #12
indy007
ND Toy Company

Football is mainstream. Trying to mortar somebody with a water balloon is not lol. Very easy to see. Football is also very lawyer'd up when it comes to fighting off concussion lawsuits. Just look at the old timers trying to get compensated now who are all punch drunk.

And the problem with water is that it doesn't compress. That's why it's used in industrial cutting applications, etc, so a water balloon at high velocity can do plenty of damage. Watering down paint just exacerbates the effect. I've seen it first hand, that's how I know to ask about it. It's not idle speculation. You're chunking an object that at 2oz is 18 times heavier than a paintball, 4oz it's 36, at relatively close velocities. Of course it transfers much more kinetic energy on impact. Simply physics.

and I'm not a MilSim player, at all. I have a very dim view of it, because most of the players are more obsessed with looking tactical and talking about an L-shaped ambush for the 192038123 time, than having powerful capabilities. I'm a scenario player. It's about winning in the most efficient means possible, and only dressing up if you're in a role. Therefore, slingshot > mortar.

The fact that you're even using water balloons in play without proper testing or documentation... you're lucky you play at a promoter that's either naive or stupid. I see you said D-Day earlier... that bites, because that jives with horror stories I've been told about the place's piss poor safety practices. Lot of places simply won't let you get away with it and will ban it sight unseen without thorough testing.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:21 PM #13
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

I never said i used a mortar at "DDAY" ive never been to the game.

you keep saying 'High velocity" the thing isnt shot at a high velocity. last time i checked water ballons were meant to at least throw at people. dropping one on them hits with a simmilar velocity

In my opinion Scenarios are about "The scenario" So if its a vietnan event id rather see people in straw hats than motorcross gear. Same goes for WW2 games of course. i should probably get into airsoft which is far more realistic, but i dont like the little plastic pellets. plus ive put far too much effort into paintball to give up

Ever make a serious paint mine or flamwthrower? lol

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 02-18-2010, 03:37 PM #14
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
I never said i used a mortar at "DDAY" ive never been to the game.
I must be high, I swore I saw that.

Quote:
you keep saying 'High velocity" the thing isnt shot at a high velocity. last time i checked water ballons were meant to at least throw at people. dropping one on them hits with a simmilar velocity
Terminal velocity and time to accelerate. Drop a balloon from a 1 story roof. Now drop it from a 10 story roof. Drop it onto a pressure pad. That'll show you the difference very specifically.

Quote:
In my opinion Scenarios are about "The scenario" So if its a vietnan event id rather see people in straw hats than motorcross gear. Same goes for WW2 games of course. i should probably get into airsoft which is far more realistic, but i dont like the little plastic pellets. plus ive put far too much effort into paintball to give up

Ever make a serious paint mine or flamwthrower? lol
I've always found mines to be junk. Without slapping the **** out of somebody like a paintball (or balloon), people walk just right on by the damn things. Done a flamethrower.... bunches actually. Supersoakers worked well, until I met a guy at Blanding who used a high pressure tank and a wand you'd get at a car wash. His was amazing.

The toys I make now are .. rather radical compared to anything that's been done in scenarios. The force tracker, shared camera feeds, land warrior. All open and free to all players of any promoter, sponsor, etc. Anybody willing to use it, can, no restrictions. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Check the next issue of Shooting Hot Magazine for my articles on how to use technology to make peoples lives suck in scenario games. Why make a paint mine that maybe, might kill somebody with work... when I can make something else that will destroy the fun of everybody on the other side simultaneously?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 PM #15
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

I think you are underestimating me and how id build the mine. If i build a mine or flamethrower its going to be BIG and make a big mess. Im VERyvery aware of how people dont go out alot of the time when they should

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 02-19-2010, 12:27 AM #16
ace0007

Hey BlackAngel, can you make the mortar out of like PVC pipe to lighten it, or will the pipe crack?

I want to say I never knew you had so many wonderful toys..I may want to reconsider who I fight for..Imagine putting an artillery on say your tank! lol

PM me for my facebook!
Newly Contracted RTM player
ace0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:13 AM #17
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
I think you are underestimating me and how id build the mine. If i build a mine or flamethrower its going to be BIG and make a big mess. Im VERyvery aware of how people dont go out alot of the time when they should
Blow up a damn a 55 gallon drum and people will still skip right through it =P

I just see areas where the same or less money could be much better spent, and give you much more effect... and doesn't even use paint.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM #18
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0007 View Post
Hey BlackAngel, can you make the mortar out of like PVC pipe to lighten it, or will the pipe crack?

I want to say I never knew you had so many wonderful toys..I may want to reconsider who I fight for..Imagine putting an artillery on say your tank! lol
Thanks lol.

when our new panzer is ready i may convert the curent one to a Hummel which is a self propelled howitzer.

Why would i replace the heavy duty steel safe air chamber on thee mortar with a pvc one? i dont care if its light its a mortar lol. you dont carry it all day anyways you put it in place and bomb away.It has a pvc barrel and an aluminum bipod.some parts have to be steel to be strong. If i had an engler mg42 i wouldnt sit there with a dremel tool and try to lighten it. Id use it as is.

1.SS Panzer Korps

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 02-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM #19
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Blow up a damn a 55 gallon drum and people will still skip right through it =P

I just see areas where the same or less money could be much better spent, and give you much more effect... and doesn't even use paint.
The basic fundamental of Paintball is to get paint on the the other team.Thats what i try to do

1.SS Panzer Korps

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 02-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:42 PM #20
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
The basic fundamental of Paintball is to get paint on the the other team.Thats what i try to do
I'm not playing paintball. I'm playing scenarios The basic point is to eliminate them, destroy their communications, pin them into their base, camp their insertions, etc, etc. Some people choose to use paintball guns to accomplish that. It's just not necessary for me.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM #21
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
I'm not playing paintball. I'm playing scenarios The basic point is to eliminate them, destroy their communications, pin them into their base, camp their insertions, etc, etc. Some people choose to use paintball guns to accomplish that. It's just not necessary for me.
i play WW2 games. shooting is the preferred method of elimination. but other ordanance is very fun. plus the mortar rounds are very cheap. i can make 50 for the price of one tippmann grenade or 60 paintballs

1.SS Panzer Korps