PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-15-2010, 08:18 PM #1
Conlon

Conlon is a Paintball photographer
Upgrading. Need Some Help.

I have read numerous threads on other people upgrading so I figured I would get some input on the situation i have and hopefully make a decision that will be beneficial. I read the FAQ and everyone elses posts so try to flip out.

I plan on Upgrading from my D40X that i have right now. The only lense i have is a 55-200 F4-5.6 Lense. I mainly just take pictures of paintball

What I dont really like/ could improve about the camera/ Setup.

I used preset modes outside. No going indoors even after learning the modes and settings I still don't feel the camera preforms well in low light situations. I have read that Canons are a little bit better. My question really is how much better. I know that buying a F 2.8 Lense would probably solve this problem but with an entry level camera I don't think it's a worth investment to get a lense that costs 5x what the camera cost because eventually I would upgrade to a better body.

I'd like something that is possibly a little bit faster shutter speed wise.

I would definately like to upgrade and get something fairly new at the same time.

I was looking at the Nikon D90 and possibly a comprable Canon Model maybe the T1i or a 40d. My budget is really about a grand or so. I plan on keeping the Nikon lense or getting something similar if i switch to a canon body.

PM Me for Media Coverage.
Conlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM #2
ownage312
Hi There!

imo, its ALL about the lenses. F2.8 would beat a new camera body. Nikons and canons are pretty similar. So I'd choose a brand and stick with it and just build up your lenses.
ownage312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM #3
ego09boi
I make pictars

if you have 1000 go with a d300 and don't listen to the canon fanobys and ya listen to ^ the glass will make a huge difference
Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 PM #4
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ego09boi View Post
if you have 1000 go with a d300 and don't listen to the canon fanobys and ya listen to ^ the glass will make a huge difference
Don't listen to the Nikon fanboys.

cwatididthar?
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 PM #5
Thor06

Thor06 supports Team VICIOUS
davewins.

canonwins.
Thor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 PM #6
Conlon

How much of a difference would a F3.5 Lense Make from The F4? Not much right?

It is tough to buy lenses from the D40x because you need the AF-S. So my thought was to buy a nice body then buy some glass for that and hopefully in the meantime I would be able to find out what brand i really enjoy. I like the Nikon. But have heard a canon may be better for what I am doing but have never tried one.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM #7
Apocballer

Apocballer is reppin' sidebar 4 life
If you do buy a d300 then there would be no point in switching from Nikon to Canon. The main difference in quality between these two brands is in the entry level equipment, so if you were to leave that stage in equipment (buying a d300) and then switch over you'd just be wasting money.

Now to answer your original question, most photographers who know what they are doing would advise you to upgrade your lenses before you buy a new body. Check out the nikkor 35mm f/1.8G, it has a high f/stop capability for a low price (about 180) and has the focus motor in it. But don't stop here, look around sites such as amazon or B&H and read reviews of lenses in your price range. Once you obtain more glass, and if you are still interested in pursuing photography, then you should upgrade your body

my 2 cents
Apocballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM #8
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor06 View Post
davewins.

cwutididthur

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 PM #9
benjabino
'Til the wheels fall off

Your beef about the D40x not performing well in low light... While it definitely isn't made to shoot low light, it is certainly more than capable. I know that first hand.

Also, if you plan on just dropping it into auto mode anyways, why dish out for a camera that has features far beyond what you will use?

If you're planning on expanding you photographic horizons (shooting things other than well lit paintball), then by all means go for the D90 or whatever you decide (I just purchased a D5000 and love it so far). And I agree 100% with Apocballer.

Just be aware of WHY you want to upgrade your body and if the upgrade makes sense for what you want to do.

Good luck
benjabino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 PM #10
EugeneC (Banned)
Is on a boat

EugeneC is playing at Living Legends V
EugeneC owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
EugeneC is for the Gunfight
EugeneC has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage312 View Post
imo, its ALL about the lenses. F2.8 would beat a new camera body. Nikons and canons are pretty similar. So I'd choose a brand and stick with it and just build up your lenses.
He is right, you want lens that have a constant F rather than a 3.5 to some bull****, for instance when I first started to take pictures for basketball rather spending money on a whole new set up, i bought a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and it was like I had a brand new camera
EugeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 PM #11
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneC View Post
He is right, you want lens that have a constant F rather than a 3.5 to some bull****, for instance when I first started to take pictures for basketball rather spending money on a whole new set up, i bought a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and it was like I had a brand new camera
how close do you stand to the players with that 50mm ?!?!

edit:

read it as baseball, my bad

Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM #12
Conlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjabino View Post
Your beef about the D40x not performing well in low light... While it definitely isn't made to shoot low light, it is certainly more than capable. I know that first hand.

Also, if you plan on just dropping it into auto mode anyways, why dish out for a camera that has features far beyond what you will use?

If you're planning on expanding you photographic horizons (shooting things other than well lit paintball), then by all means go for the D90 or whatever you decide (I just purchased a D5000 and love it so far). And I agree 100% with Apocballer.

Just be aware of WHY you want to upgrade your body and if the upgrade makes sense for what you want to do.

Good luck

I was saying the camera worked well in auto mode. But now I am actually using it to it's potential in Manual and thats where I have experienced problems. I understand what you are saying. Just thought I'd point that out so others dont misunderstand as well. Thank you for the advice

Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM #13
EugeneC (Banned)
Is on a boat

EugeneC is playing at Living Legends V
EugeneC owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
EugeneC is for the Gunfight
EugeneC has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
really really close , I did single's for the team, but I use my 70-200 F4 with some flashes
EugeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM #14
ownage312
Hi There!

I haven't used many nikon cameras, so I can't judge them. My brother just got the Canon 7D and it is an AMAZING camera. A 2.8 70-200 makes a huge difference along with a Canon 7d. If you don't have enough money, I suggest a Canon XTI with firmware hack(allows hacked iso options, 100,200,400,800,1600,3200, along with increments inbetween, ie. 16,32,40,50,80,100) They've compared the XTI to a 40D and the xti actually takes better pictures at 3200 compared to the 40D. I've been using mostly canons, xti, 40d, and 7d. Just remember lenses are most important find a good range of lenses, ranging from wide to zoom, whatever suits your needs, and invest in a tripod if you havent yet.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM #15
ghost93

ghost93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ghost93 is for the Gunfight
ghost93 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ghost93 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Most of the problems that you stated aren't really problems with the camera, as most of the others have said. So I'd suggest some new glass. For indoors get a 35 or 50mm f/1.8 and your low light issue will be solved.

By better shutter speed do you mean a higher frame rate (shoots more pictures faster) or actual shutter speed? I don't think a new body will help with faster shutter speed (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
ghost93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM #16
Thor06

Thor06 supports Team VICIOUS
He said shutter speed, but he meant frame rate.
Thor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 PM #17
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

frame rate yes, lower ends usually do 3-5 fps, and uppers can reach 11...

and i do belive that the better one have more shutter speed increments

Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 PM #18
Conlon

Thanks Guys. It just seems stupid to invest in all these AF-S Lenses that cost more than regular Nikon AF Lenses because eventually I will have more money and some nice lenses and buy a body that wont need the feature I spent money on here. Thats why I was thinking better body before lenses or possibly at the same time as a new lense.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:06 PM #19
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

well a good prime, 35-85mm 1.4's and 1.8's arent over 350..

Old 02-17-2010, 07:17 AM #20
ownage312
Hi There!

canon 35m 1.4 is over 1300
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM #21
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conlon View Post
I will have more money and some nice lenses and buy a body that wont need the feature I spent money on here. Thats why I was thinking better body before lenses or possibly at the same time as a new lense.
Bodies come and go quicker than lenses, which is why if you're planning on sticking with photography lenses are a much better place to invest the larger part of your money (so long as they have the features you need).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
well a good prime, 35-85mm 1.4's and 1.8's arent over 350..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage312 View Post
canon 35m 1.4 is over 1300
There's more than one lens in the 35-85 range, mon ami.

easily affordable
-------
28 f/1.8 is 400
35 f/2.0 is 300
50 f/1.8 is 100
50 f/1.4 is 350
85 f/1.8 is 400

harder to afford
-------
24 f/1.4L I is 900
35 f/1.4L is 1125
50 f/1.2L is 1250