Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 PM #1
pinnacle2009
Nerd Wannabe

has been a member for 10 years
pinnacle2009 helped look for balloons
Wireless problems

For the past couple of weeks, my wireless connection has been horrible. I am using some Belkin wireless USB thing. I am fairly certain that is the problem. It was a very cheap fix I bought so I could get internet in my room.

Anyway, i need something better. My connection is generally 40-50%. Would I be better off buying an internal wireless card?

Oh, I didn't think of this earlier, but a 1-2ft movement of the tower wouldn't effect the connection that much....would it? That is the only thing that has really changed lately. (The placement of the tower.)

EDIT (only for the guys that were urging me to buy Win7 in an earlier thread) I broke down and bought Windows 7 today. I won't know for sure how it is just yet, but from what I have read recently, I will probably owe you guys a Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 AM #2
satamusic
ɔısnɯ

on going win7

are you sure the problem is not the access point?

have you got the same crappy signal from other wifi adapters?

are there a lot of walls/floors between the access point and your tower?

is your access point 802.11n?

2.4ghz or 5ghz?

.alien.interceptor. bob.long.reg. hammer.head.freak. pulse. lp.crossfire.

satamusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 AM #3
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
try the cheap fixes first. check that you have the lastest driver for the usb dongle and under it device turn off power savings so it always at 100 persent output. on the router ftp into it and change the channel on the router and see if your bars get better. sometimes there can be more then one router to close on the same channel that can cause feedback or if you have a portable phone try changing the channel it on. on the router see if there 3 party firmware for it like tomato where you can up the output signal power. the $$ is to buy a 250mw or a 500 mw usb dongle. they used to make them in pci cards but due to the cheap cost of usb dongles there not to many vendors that will make high powered pci cards.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 AM #4
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
also with usb dongles you have to look under the hood at the chipsets they use some are better then other. also on drivers most vendors like linksys have stop making drivers for the product and you have to find out the chipset of the usb dongle and go to that vendor web page for there windows vista/2000/7 drivers.
the new n dongles that are hitting the marker are now doing 2.4 and 5.0 gig like this one
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...816&CatId=2704
from the main vendor web page there is a 10.00 copon for these.
http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/...?cat=33&ID=280