Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-27-2010, 06:45 PM #22
wavesport001

Quote:
It is also the only religion or relationship that does require action in order to receive the treasure of Eternity with Him. I mean of course there is commandments that the Lord has set for us to follow, but when we don't, we don't start back at the bottom of the ladder to achieve Truth. Every other religion requires you to work your way up in order to get the treasure or "eternal life" that they promise. I just do not understand why anyone would not want to at least look into or try Christianity. Christianity says that Christ died for all and rose again. He suffered because He loves us and did not want us to suffer to achieve Eternity in Heaven. All you have to do is accept Him into your heart and remain in Him, which in theory, will reflect a good life. Doesn't that sound like a pretty good deal? I know it does to me.
It does sound like a good deal. It almost sounds too good to be true. You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true right?

Also, do you think most people in our society would follow a religion that actually required work? Did you ever think that maybe Christianity is so popular because it doesn't require as much work?

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 AM #23
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
It does sound like a good deal. It almost sounds too good to be true. You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true right?

Also, do you think most people in our society would follow a religion that actually required work? Did you ever think that maybe Christianity is so popular because it doesn't require as much work?
ahh but it does! and it doesn't!

there's a saying somewhere "it's a free gift that costs you your life", something along those lines.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 PM #24
I BE RIPPIN

I BE RIPPIN is a Paintball photographer
I BE RIPPIN plays in the PSP
I believe that Christ died for my sins on the cross.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM #25
JTEmpire
Efficient

What is the point of life? For the animals and plants around us it is to survive and reproduce to allow the continuity of their species. Humans have this magnificent organ called the brain that characteristically gives us the ability to think and sense. Plants and animals do not have the ability to use logic and reason to dictate their lives, they simply use what they were given biologically to live. For this reason I think that the point of life is to just live it to your fullest extent, use the abilities you were given biologically and just be a 'good' person. It's best not to spend time thinking about religion and what happens when we die, our brains aren't designed to be able to comprehend the complexities of the universe, but still, people do so and it only causes war and grief. Life is such a wonderful thing that it simply makes sense to me for it to exist. What is the opposite of life? It can't be death because death is a process, a process that is the opposite of birth. Things constantly die, and are constantly reborn. Everything we know we know and think of is because of our senses 'tell us' that it is "real". When you die and lose those senses what is left is something we cannot rationalize, because our ability to do so is gone.
I guess I consider myself an agnostic. I believe the universe is infinite in size and complexity, which logically means that we know nothing. Perhaps there are an infinite number of planets that can support this thing we call life. But I am stuck on this one, called earth, and all I can do is think of what else is out there, and doing so is a waste of this beautiful thing called life. We have an amazing ability to think about what is, or what could be. The best we can do is use it to make life the best we possibly can instead of thinking about this thing WE CREATED called GOD.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:17 PM #26
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEmpire View Post
It's best not to spend time thinking about religion and what happens when we die, our brains aren't designed to be able to comprehend the complexities of the universe, but still, people do so and it only causes war and grief.
You really think that the only thing that comes from religion is war and grief?
Wow that really sucks and I'm sorry you feel like that.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 PM #27
JTEmpire
Efficient

War comes from emotions; which is something that only humans posses. Animals do not go to war against one another, they will kill each other to ensure the continuity of their species, but it is because they are genetically programmed to do so. People kill each other for reasons that animals aren't even capable of 'knowing', reasons like religion and beliefs (ex: territory is a belief, an invisible boundary, created by the mind). Why does someone disagree with a religion?, because it does not feel right? Well that feeling comes from an emotion be it empathy or anger or frustration, fear, etc.. Plants do not go to war because they do not have a brain with which to feel emotions.

The purpose of a religion, which is something created entirely in the brain, is to provide an explanation for something we do not know, we fear the unknown, fear is an emotion, and so we create an idea to create a comfort zone to explain something we cannot understand. A plant cannot feel emotion and so it has no need for religion. Why does a plant flourish and thrive in life? Because it does what it is biologically programmed to do and lives its life to the fullest, so to speak.
I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm currently in the process of writing my thoughts in a word document because I never really sat down typed my thoughts out about it before. I come from a christian family so I'm not trying to bash any religion.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM #28
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
War comes from emotions; which is something that only humans posses. Animals do not go to war against one another, they will kill each other to ensure the continuity of their species, but it is because they are genetically programmed to do so. People kill each other for reasons that animals aren't even capable of 'knowing', reasons like religion and beliefs (ex: territory is a belief, an invisible boundary, created by the mind). Why does someone disagree with a religion?, because it does not feel right? Well that feeling comes from an emotion be it empathy or anger or frustration, fear, etc.. Plants do not go to war because they do not have a brain with which to feel emotions.

The purpose of a religion, which is something created entirely in the brain, is to provide an explanation for something we do not know, we fear the unknown, fear is an emotion, and so we create an idea to create a comfort zone to explain something we cannot understand. A plant cannot feel emotion and so it has no need for religion. Why does a plant flourish and thrive in life? Because it does what it is biologically programmed to do and lives its life to the fullest, so to speak.
I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm currently in the process of writing my thoughts in a word document because I never really sat down typed my thoughts out about it before. I come from a christian family so I'm not trying to bash any religion.
uhh, animals fight each other over territory all the time.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:50 PM #29
Gisgo09
vGisgo

Quote:

Animals have emotions and use them for things besides ****ing, eating and staying alive. They also fight over things like territory and resources all the time.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 PM #30
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
War comes from emotions; which is something that only humans posses.

The purpose of a religion is to provide an explanation for something we do not know, we fear the unknown, fear is an emotion.
Not seeing the correlation. Your point is invalid unless only religious people feel emotions.

And what emotion caused the Iraq war? Since when is oil an emotion?

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 PM #31
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
War comes from emotions; which is something that only humans posses.
I disagree. I think that war comes from want. A perfectly reasonable, emotionless being could in theory act against another being in a way that the second being finds inconvenient (or intolerable). Apply that to a group and you have a war.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM #32
VanishPaintball

has been a member for 10 years
VanishPaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
And what emotion caused the Iraq war? Since when is oil an emotion?
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAskill, Ewan (2005). George Bush: God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq. The Guardian, Friday, October 7, 2005.

George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, according to a senior Palestinian politician in an interview to be broadcast by the BBC later this month.
Mr Bush revealed the extent of his religious fervour when he met a Palestinian delegation during the Israeli-Palestinian summit at the Egpytian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, four months after the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

One of the delegates, Nabil Shaath, who was Palestinian foreign minister at the time, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Mr Bush went on: "And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it."
VanishPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 PM #33
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Vanish is that legit? I have never heard that before.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 PM #34
VanishPaintball

That particular source is a second-hand quotation. The reporter didn't hear it from Bush's mouth, but from the mouths of several individuals who were in the conference. However, Bush made no secret about his belief that god chose him to be president and that god told him how to respond to 9/11 [no mention of why God didn't tell him it was coming in the first place], and specifically that god wanted him to invade Iraq. I'm getting to bed now (class early), but I can dig for some more reliable quotes if you'd like. Googling "george w. bush" and "god" is a decent start, though. Peter Singer's The President of Good and Evil: The Ethics of George W. Bush is a good read, if the topic interests you. I don't always agree with Singer's more fundamentalist ethical ideas (re: animal rights) but he lays out the facts very fairly before adding his opinion, allowing the reader the freedom to disagree.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 PM #35
VanishPaintball

One last one before the sandman gets me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W. Bush

This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people's enemies before a New Age begins.
Full article: http://www.alternet.org/news/140221