Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 PM #1
faus7rav3n

Zenith/Blitz Reg Internal Wear

Tonight, I tore down my leaking Azodin regulator and noticed something inside the upper regulator sleeve. It looked like the reg piston has contacted the side of the sleeve and gouged it a little bit.

I am currently using an O-Ring Kit from Captain O-Ring which uses a -014 Reg Piston O-ring and even with a new O-ring installed, the fitment seems a little sloppy. I can pinch the o-ring with relatively little force. When the Reg Piston is installed into the Upper Sleeve, the fit of the piston feels a little sloppy, and when a yawing motion is applied, either side to side and/or around in a circle with the piston stem, I can hear the piston contacting the side of the sleeve.

Is this wear something to be worried about?

I can't seem to find in any of the Azodin manuals the actual size of this O-ring, just an Azodin Part Reference number, which isn't carried in your Online Store. What is the actual size of the Reg Piston O-ring?

Looking at the ORing Monkey rebuild kit, it looks like there is no -014 included at all.

Could this wear have been caused by an improperly sized O-ring?

As an observation, I did notice that the Reg Piston 'skirt' (the area below the O-ring land) actually has enough space for another O-ring land. Possibly room for upgrade?

Judging by how few times I've seen this particular 'issue' mentioned on PBN, I'm doubting what I found is a problem. If it's something you guys at Azodin are tracking, maybe adding another O-ring land and O-ring to the Reg Piston might center it up and prevent that yawing motion which seems to be causing some damage.

Thoughts? Anyone else notice this type of wear? Am I making this into something bigger than it should be?

Last edited by faus7rav3n : 02-11-2015 at 09:44 AM.
faus7rav3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 AM #2
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

I had this problem on an Evo not long ago. I changed the reg piston, worked great. I also tried the defective piston in another reg top and had the same result, proving that the piston was screwed up. Not a huge issue, call Ed.
Green and Purple Blitz Evo
Capt. American Blitz Evo
w/ matching zero
DP:Green F8
smalltownkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM #3
faus7rav3n

It might just be a case of picking up a slightly larger cross section -014.

I know in the AZ Replacement Kits the O-rings are a clear material, which I think is Polyurethane? I'm currently using a Buna, which might account for why I've replaced it a bit more in the past.

I'm been looking into replacing all of the dynamic O-rings in the gun with HNBR or low durometer Polyurethane to hopefully get a little more durability out of them.

Last edited by faus7rav3n : 02-11-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:03 AM #4
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

I use capt oring all the time. Never had a problem. Have you ever adjusted the pressure down while the gun is aired up?
Capt. American Blitz Evo
w/ matching zero
Old 02-11-2015, 11:11 AM #5
faus7rav3n

I think so, but I'm using it on a Phantom and the pressure is cranked up a bit higher than Zenith levels.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:22 PM #6
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

Sometimes that stem can get tweaked when doing that. Might be the problem. Either way, get ed to send you a new piston.
Capt. American Blitz Evo
w/ matching zero
Old 02-11-2015, 03:05 PM #7
AzodinTech
Azodin Tech

AzodinTech works for a Paintball manufacturer
The regulator pistons are now brown in color, not the clear material seen in this picture:

http://store.azodin.com/index.php?ro...32&search=r031

The brown orings (Viton) is stronger than the clear orings. Even though the aftermarket orings have the same inner diameter, they may have a different thickness. This would change its outer diameter and explain the amount of space seen on the piston.

Oh course there is a possibility that the piston was milled too much. If you could email us a picture of the piston, that would be great. You can send the picture to tech@azodin.com.

-Ed
909-468-3600
AzodinTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:47 PM #8
faus7rav3n

Okay, I'll send you the email. I must have missed the Piston O-ring in the AZ store.

I was speaking to some O-ring guys the last day or so and I was informed that Viton wasn't necessarily the best fit for paintball, more specifically dynamic seals.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:36 AM #9
faus7rav3n

Just to resolve this, I talked to Ed, we are working something up to rectify this issue.

Girls and boys, this is today's lesson: Be careful how you adjust your regulator pressure, if you mess up your Rock Steady Seat, the piston can then get cocked during operation, which in turn causes it to scratch/scar the upper tube, which will then cause leaks, inconsistency, and ultimately require most of/if not a new regulator.

Adjust 1/4 Turn, Cycle marker several times, Repeat to desired effect.
When adjusting to Factory Preset; Degas the marker first. If the marker is aired up, the pressure against the piston will cause it to cut into the Rock Steady Seat, causing damage.

I still think there might be a way to help offset the 'piston cocking' by adding a second O-ring to the Reg Piston spaced down a little lower to keep it centered in the tube. Something I might test out.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:47 AM #10
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

Really any HPR will have negative effects if they are adjusted down while aired up. sure adding an oring sounds right, but of course that will increase friction, better chance of shoot down, slower recovery...etc.
and it will still wreck your reg seat if it doesnt tweak the piston. best thing to do if youre messing with OP, is to start at 0 and set to a rough setting(based on the marker you have) then slowly increase.

but like you said, if you need to adjust OP down while aired up. 1/8-1/4 turn in, few shots, until you get down where you need.
Capt. American Blitz Evo
w/ matching zero
Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM #11
faus7rav3n

See, I knew all about the 1/4 Turn and Cycle process. I wasn't aware of the degas process. Lesson learned, I suppose.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:09 PM #12
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

We've all done it.
Capt. American Blitz Evo
w/ matching zero