PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 PM #1
DRAXX
www.muddhillspaintball.tk

ZII Testing by Mudd Hills

Tested between seven players - four of which recorded their experience with the Azodin ZII, including me. After our assessment, based on:

- overall shooting performance,
- sound signature and kick,
- accuracy.
- ability to shoot tourney/brittle paint,
- all standard features,

We feel that it's more on par with marker in the 400.00 - 500.00+ range. It's about equal to an Etek4 LT out of the box, and definitely way better than a DP fusion FX. The Etek 4 LT's components and internals are more refined, but the ZII has a lot better features, and they both shoot about the same. You can probably get 1 extra pod out of the Etek4 vs. the ZII as well. but here's the thing - the ZII is 150.00 less. It's well worth the money, and outclasses most other markers in it's price range in features.

As far as marker characteristics, it shoots like what it is - a stacked tube poppet. It shoots really nice, but if you're a spooly, or pop-spool type person, you might be at odds with it's characteristics.

Posted below is a vid of live-action demos + our discussion about the marker.

If you want to take a look at our initial unboxing, specifics, and first impressions of the marker, please feel free to check this vid out.

Last edited by DRAXX : 03-30-2014 at 10:38 PM.
DRAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM #2
SilentBall55

Excellent video. Looks like those guys with the Geo and EGO will be switching over to a ZII ?

Dear Azodin,
Honestly, if you want to sell against the Etek, you need to get it into all stores that sell PE. A potential customer that is physically in a store holding a Etek isn't going to run home and order a ZII on-line. Your dealer network is your weakness regardless how good the ZII is.

Last edited by SilentBall55 : 03-11-2014 at 01:19 PM.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 PM #3
smalltownkaos

smalltownkaos has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
You can't make dealers buy azodin. The first step is building demand, demand tells brick and mortar dealers to stock product.

sad truth is blowbacks aren't going to sell like poppets and spools. They get written off as spyder clones and junk. Be looking out for the new evo, that is going to be azodins big seller. And the ziii with the potential of a new grip frame.

once azodin has steady fans, not ones that come and go, they will slowly begin to grow demand. Draxx had a good idea of getting other players to shoot the zii, thats the best way, it impresses most people. Whether Pe fanboy, dye, macdev, or the axe cult. For $300 every will be impressed
DP: Green G4...Green F8
BL: Blue and White G6r

LOOKING FOR A BLUE AZODIN ZENITH...PM ME
smalltownkaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 PM #4
DRAXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBall55 View Post
Excellent video. Looks like those guys with the Geo and EGO will be switching over to a ZII ?
It's pretty hard to just put down an Ego 11 or a Geo 3 for any other gun, lol. But the guys with the Eteks 3/4 - including myself - felt that the ZII shot pretty much the same performance-wise, but had much better standard features so some of them will switch over, and the rest are seriously considering it.

Quote:
Dear Azodin,
Honestly, if you want to sell against the Etek, you need to get it into all stores that sell PE. A potential customer that is physically in a store holding a Etek isn't going to run home and order a ZII on-line. Your dealer network is your weakness regardless how good the ZII is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownkaos View Post
You can't make dealers buy azodin. The first step is building demand, demand tells brick and mortar dealers to stock product.

sad truth is blowbacks aren't going to sell like poppets and spools. They get written off as spyder clones and junk. Be looking out for the new evo, that is going to be azodins big seller. And the ziii with the potential of a new grip frame.

once azodin has steady fans, not ones that come and go, they will slowly begin to grow demand. Draxx had a good idea of getting other players to shoot the zii, thats the best way, it impresses most people. Whether Pe fanboy, dye, macdev, or the axe cult. For $300 every will be impressed
^ Tim is right, people write off STBB's as obsolete - not thinking about Azodin's advancements to the gun ( Zero systems). That's really where this gun shines as a tournament marker. Spyder tried making a tournament marker (i.e. VS, RS, etc.) and they all failed because their STBB platform was terrible for high-end performance - and sadly, - that is what most people associate the STBB platform with. That being said, a lot of people don't know about the gun, and the people that do view all of the ZII's features as "putting lipstick on a pig" meaning trying to dress up an obsolete platform.

I don't feel that the Zero system was given enough publicity. I say this because I am a pretty big paintball enthusiast, and even I didn't think anything of it, until I shot a zero'd blitz, and later demo'd an original Zenith. that's how I knew that those shot on par with an Etek. SO, a few of us have been trying to break the stigma of spyder's utter failure as a company, and show people that Azodin's innovation is more than worthy.

In the end, not everybody can put out advertisements like Empire, PE, and Dye. A lot of how smaller companies gain a reputation is generally by Word-of-Mouth.

If you guys like what Azodin does, advocate for them by word of mouth, and through forums like this

Last edited by DRAXX : 03-11-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 PM #5
smalltownkaos

Couldn't have said it better. You won't find a bigger azodin fan than me, and I realize that they aren't perfect. But you won't find better customer service anywhere. Take the ZII shot, feedneck, board, trigger and barrel. Thin up the grip frame and add some curves. Make it lighter. And I think they have a market buster.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM #6
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:

Word of mouth and the simple use of social media will be what helps get the great products that Azodin has to offer to the masses.
I am a Axe fanboy, but I also LOVE my Fusion X (yes a dangerous power FX). Even though I love my Carbon Fiber Axe I am and have always have been planning on purchasing the Zii. I reached out to Ed via email right before PBE 2014 and he assured me that Azodin was here to stay and will be launching a new 2014 line of products. I beleive that Azodin as a whole has exactly what it takes to make for a very well respected place in this industry. With the paintball community helping spread the word about the Zii with YouTube videos it is sure to sell and land it's spot a strong competitor for the $300 price range. Keep up the good work Ed and the people at Azodin.

iPS
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM #7
smalltownkaos

My interest isn't really in the 2014 lineup, but more in what comes after. Hunch tells me that something unexpected might be coming.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 PM #8
Maphan123

It is a shame that they don't sell as well. But hey, that's what happens when the sport is run by rich, white kids who feel they need to have the most expensive **** to be good.
Maphan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 PM #9
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphan123 View Post
It is a shame that they don't sell as well. But hey, that's what happens when the sport is run by rich, white kids who feel they need to have the most expensive **** to be good.
I'd like to believe its run by the rich in general opposed to the rich "white kids". None the less I definitely understand where you're coming from. Because they only see the pro's, wealthy, and the uneducated masses who only buy what they see/hear is the best or the coolest. It leaves very little room for the more appropriately priced markers from companies like Azodin. All my opinion of coarse.

iPS
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 AM #10
DRAXX

Quote:
My interest isn't really in the 2014 lineup, but more in what comes after. Hunch tells me that something unexpected might be coming.
A hunch? o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaintSlinger View Post
I'd like to believe its run by the rich in general opposed to the rich "white kids". None the less I definitely understand where you're coming from. Because they only see the pro's, wealthy, and the uneducated masses who only buy what they see/hear is the best or the coolest. It leaves very little room for the more appropriately priced markers from companies like Azodin. All my opinion of coarse.

iPS

I think Azodin is doing considerably well, all things considered. But also, I feel that - even though they pretty much perfected the STBB platform - they need a spool in there somewhere. And I only say that because 1) it will offer some diversity, and 2) It will throw in a wildcard to have a different platform involved. Tippmann did it with their phenom - and later the crossover, but still has their BB platform going on strong.

Also, there is a dwell setting on the ZII's OLED board which doesn't really make sense to be there - leading me to believe that that same board was being made possibly to go into something that would have an air-choking solenoid. Now, whether or not that's true, we will see.

Also, - and this is a question to the Azodin techs - is there a possible concept of a light-weight striker bolt?

Last edited by DRAXX : 03-29-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 AM #11
smalltownkaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAXX View Post
A hunch? o_O

Old 03-29-2014, 10:18 AM #12
Forrestball

Thanks for making this video. I've been wanting to get my hands on one of these z||. I convinced one of my outlaw buddies to get a blitz evo over a spyder fenix and he seems pretty happy.
Forrestball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 AM #13
AZODIN

AZODIN works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Also, there is a dwell setting on the ZII's OLED board which doesn't really make sense to be there - leading me to believe that that same board was being made possibly to go into something that would have an air-choking solenoid. Now, whether or not that's true, we will see.

Also, - and this is a question to the Azodin techs - is there a possible concept of a light-weight striker bolt?
Dwell -
Obviously dwell setting here for Azodin STBB system is not the time to let the air pass through the solenoid but it is the time that the board let voltage go into the solenoid to hit the sear and release the striker. Of course lower dwell means longer battery power, higher dwell drains the battery quicker.

We didn't say this in the manual as we like people to play around with it.

Light-Weight Striker or Bolt -
Initially for Azodin, for the ease of warehouse management we made only one type of light weight striker/hammer compare to the traditional striker/hammer. However, we do believe after 5-6 years improving the STBB system, yes it is highly possible we will make a striker/hammer specially for our Z3 or Z2 Advanced.
Same with the Bolt here and other vital parts too.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM #14
Ironboy360

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZODIN View Post
Dwell -
Obviously dwell setting here for Azodin STBB system is not the time to let the air pass through the solenoid but it is the time that the board let voltage go into the solenoid to hit the sear and release the striker. Of course lower dwell means longer battery power, higher dwell drains the battery quicker.

Initially for Azodin, for the ease of warehouse management we made only one type of light weight striker/hammer compare to the traditional striker/hammer. However, we do believe after 5-6 years improving the STBB system, yes it is highly possible we will make a striker/hammer specially for our Z3 or Z2 Advanced.
Why dont you use something like the Diablo Wrath or Rex type hammer system with a low pressure reg. and trigger valve activated by a solenoid I had a Rex type R and was pretty good except for the board and eyes... since you have the top board and dwell why not give a try.... Or maybe someone can put a mix of parts and send it to you for consideration....... Ram is what Im talking about....

Last edited by Ironboy360 : 03-30-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Ironboy360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 AM #15
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZODIN View Post
Dwell -

Ok so is it bad that I want both The ZII Advanced and the ZIII??? Side note, will you guys be implicating a production version of the Blitz Evo with the Zero system already installed and call it the Blitz Evo II or Blitz Evo Advanced??? If so I think that it should cost $250 so there is a more diverse selection in your line-up as a whole. Also will there be future plans to have the markers that do not have the OLED ZenIII board be able to upgrade to it??? Always was kind of wishing that you guys would do all of these things... Wishful and hopeful thinking I suppose, but seriously please do one of these things at least.

Thanks for your time, iPS
Old 03-30-2014, 09:56 AM #16
AZODIN

AZODIN works for a Paintball manufacturer
All very good ideas and suggestions thank you.

Actually some of the thinkings here are undergoing rightnow we just need time to get things done one at a time.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 AM #17
smalltownkaos

Quote:
Ok so is it bad that I want both The ZII Advanced and the ZIII??? Side note, will you guys be implicating a production version of the Blitz Evo with the Zero system already installed and call it the Blitz Evo II or Blitz Evo Advanced??? If so I think that it should cost $250 so there is a more diverse selection in your line-up as a whole. Also will there be future plans to have the markers that do not have the OLED ZenIII board be able to upgrade to it??? Always was kind of wishing that you guys would do all of these things... Wishful and hopeful thinking I suppose, but seriously please do one of these things at least.

Thanks for your time, iPS
Rumor has it the new Evo will be an oled-less zii. Obviously a new board is going to be made, something adjustable.

I think Azodin ran into a snag on the "advanced" parts for the zii, namely the bolt. Outside of that the reg will also be improving. Not sure how much Azodin wants to tell about said parts, so I will leave that to them.

And they've been shorthanded, getting the KDII ready for release has been keeping them busy

Old 03-30-2014, 11:37 AM #18
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Nice
Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM #19
DRAXX

First dibs on the Z3! AND - any other upgrades that come out.

An upgradable bolt would be nice. Techt really dropped the ball with their hush bolt for the blitz and Z lines. It actually loses efficiency!!! The first Techt bolt ever to do that. That, and you have to mod it with a thinner o-ring in the front so it doesn't catch the lip and chop off - or cause re-cocking issues.

>_>

I also need a few KPII's - my next objective. A pump gun that's cost-friendly and easy to maintenance and won't have to spend a ton of time ripping it apart and re-timing it like an autococker.

Can't wait to see the Z3. Azodin fixed all the issues as far as efficiency, operating pressure, and ability to shoot brittle paint. However, the striker still has that same reciprocating mass that won't go away. It's probably the only reason the ZII kicks at all.

but seriously, Can't wait. I had no idea they were making a ZII advanced O_O And new bolt and stiker? Why doesn't anyone tell me about this stuff!?

Tim! You're slipping!
>_>

Last edited by DRAXX : 03-30-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 AM #20
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
First dibs on the Z3! AND - any other upgrades that come out.

An upgradable bolt would be nice. Techt really dropped the ball with their hush bolt for the blitz and Z lines. It actually loses efficiency!!! The first Techt bolt ever to do that. That, and you have to mod it with a thinner o-ring in the front so it doesn't catch the lip and chop off - or cause re-cocking issues.

>_>

I also need a few KPII's - my next objective. A pump gun that's cost-friendly and easy to maintenance and won't have to spend a ton of time ripping it apart and re-timing it like an autococker.

Can't wait to see the Z3. Azodin fixed all the issues as far as efficiency, operating pressure, and ability to shoot brittle paint. However, the striker still has that same reciprocating mass that won't go away. It's probably the only reason the ZII kicks at all.

but seriously, Can't wait. I had no idea they were making a ZII advanced O_O And new bolt and stiker? Why doesn't anyone tell me about this stuff!?

Tim! You're slipping!
>_>
My thoughts exactly... Someone at Azodin has my direct contact info and they didn't send out a news letter or anything saying that there was a new ZII and ZIII in the near future. Thanks Ed..... No but seriously when the paintball world sees what azodin truly has to offer and everyone goes crazy and tries to buy out the whole inventory just know that I better have second dibs on everything right after DRAXX. (Sorry SmallTownKaos) you got thirds. Lololololololololololol
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 AM #21
smalltownkaos

Quote:

Tim! You're slipping!
>_>
sorry man, I'll do better next time haha.

Quote:
. (Sorry SmallTownKaos) you got thirds. Lololololololololololol
third? third? Oh no, if you're not first you're last.