deltapaintball
Josh Foote (R)

deltapaintball is a Supporting Member
deltapaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
deltapaintball supports our troops
deltapaintball has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
deltapaintball supports DLX Technology
Exclamation Lowering the Bar.

Let’s start things off by first explaining what the bar is. There used to be a standard by which excellence was measured in paintball. If you dared to push yourself hard enough and reach your fullest potential, you were looked at as being apart from your peers. This wasn’t a mark of elitism, but an example of reaching accomplishment within the industry. The industry recognized this by holding these people up as the embodiment of those that set themselves apart with their dedication.

As you look out across the landscape of the industry today, it is fairly evident to anyone who cares to see that the paradigm has changed. While nobody was watching, the industry lowered the bar. Now ask yourself, why would they do that? Is it because the standards that were once so difficult to obtain have been achieved by the majority of the players in the sport? Is it because greatness stalks the field in more numbers then any other time in paintball? Hardly, in actuality what you’re seeing is the encouragement of everyone being special, or as we like refer to it, the gold star standard. The reality of the situation is that there are better players, but the industry is lowering the bar to push sales. What does that mean to you, the player in laymen’s terms?

The industry has taken the reward of sponsorship and turned it into nothing more than a coupon book to make a sale. Yet, those of you who may very well have a “sponsorship”, may be saving some money but really you are no better off then shopping at a Black Friday sale. The whole gimmick behind the sponsorship is the company saying to you the player, “hey, you are special, and we are going to give you a special price on a special product because you are special.”

Now what’s really funny is that the industry is crying that they are making no money, in reality they are creating the entitlement attitude that a majority of players today suffer from, this behavior is a self fulfilling prophecy that each and every player is special, and therefore they shouldn’t be spending the money that the companies so desperately need to get by.

Alright players, it is time to bruise some egos and be bluntly honest. Take a look around, how many players do you know that have a sponsor in their signature on PbNation alone. How many of these teams have you heard of beyond your local market? Our guess is less then 1% is known outside of their market. This brings into question why do sponsorships exist in the first place, and the answer is marketability.

You take a team that is known for excellence by the old standard and add to that their presence beyond their home market, and that is marketability. Marketability for a sponsorship means exposure for products over a wide base audience. If your team doesn’t have a greater appeal beyond your local market, to what benefit does a sponsor drive. And this requires introspection on your part. If you are not adding to the bottom line for a company by raising their visibility and you are in a cash plus position on your end, the only thing you are doing for that company is adding to their sales volume on a personal basis. You are not having any affect on their advertising, you are not bringing in any new customers, all you are doing is becoming another sale, and this is where you have to be honest with yourself.

To the industry by and large the only way to right this ship, is to return expectations to the original model. Don’t be afraid to tell somebody that they are not good enough. It is because you have not stood up and forced your expectations that the entitlement era of paintball began. You need full volume sales, and cutting the throat of your dealer network by pushing direct sales to customers you would otherwise have under the guise of a sponsorship undermines the sales force you have built. We can not tell you how often we have seen players walk into a brick and mortar store and demand special pricing because they have been told that they are special, which stems from the entitlement atmosphere which you have promoted to your own detriment. To be frank, you are sponsoring too many teams, and you have diluted the definition of excellence.

George Shaffer | Josh Foote
Delta Paintball, Inc.
www.deltapaintball.com

Last edited by deltapaintball : 02-04-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Grammatical Error.
deltapaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 AM #2
Spartan 03
The Heretics

Spartan 03 is playing at Living Legends VI
Spartan 03 supports Team VICIOUS
Spartan 03 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spartan 03 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't think you are going to get a lot of kudos and slaps on the back for that post, but I totally agree.
If I make you cheat, I win.
WORKS Autococker
Spartan 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 AM #3
Warchild71
I Recruit Killers

Warchild71 plays in the PSP
Warchild71 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Warchild71 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kudos and a Slap on the back.
Warchild71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 AM #4
mamock116

I totally agree. You get kudos and a slap on the back from me
Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 AM #5
wowzerz
Pump Karni King

wowzerz is attending Decay of Nations VI
Sponsorships bring money to the companies and out of the B/S/T's. Yea you are right, it is marketing, but you still need a strong company base in our industry.
wowzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 AM #6
k2riser
Trooper#7

I totally agree! From what I've seen on here though, you may have to explain in a lot smaller words for some people. It's sad but true.
k2riser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 AM #7
slinkeytitan
ImAStripClubDJTrustMe

slinkeytitan has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hi im 12 and i dont know what a sponsorship is

seriously, i agree 100% it took me a while to achieve where i was and then after calming down from the sport for 2 years i see that everybody on the field has a big name sponsor and the team hasn't even played 2 games with each other.

ST: A.C
if ur a member, you know why and you should be proud.
PBkid23 V.What?-the internet is my crack cocaine, and st is my dealer
slinkeytitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 AM #8
^Hawk^
Disciple - The Book of TB

^Hawk^ supports Sherwood Forest
Kudos and a hearty slap on the back!

Glad to see a national team like Delta take a stance, but this has been brought up before...
"No, we need an Anti-Sportsmanship Day. A day where groin punches, eye pokes and foreign objects in the wrestling tights will be encouraged. Call it the Ric Flairification of this country. No wonder our American automotive industry is getting killed, we’re afraid to throw sand in the eyes of the foreign automotive makers.

And it stems from stuff like National Sportsmanship Day. Well I love America too much to let Sportsmanship ruin us. The Hater Nation implores all of you patriots to throw an elbow in your pickup game. Maybe go spikes high in your softball game.

In other words, be a proud American."

Last edited by ^Hawk^ : 02-04-2010 at 05:34 AM.
^Hawk^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 AM #9
recklessabanden
aka giambi

Well I can't say I disagree with you. However I think you wrote a small thesis for nothing. Lots of people in this world have things they don't deserve, things they most certainly didn't work for. It is by no means limited to paintball and it won't be changing any time soon. In today's paintball landscape particularly (where even established pro teams are folding) the mindset seems to be safety in numbers. Just give deals to whoever we can and well see what sticks. It sucks, but I don't believe it will change anytime soon.
recklessabanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 AM #10
Kbar Frank

Foote for...President....George, Vice......Kudos and a B1tch slaps his back !!

Supported by:

Kbar's Paintball field | Quickshot Paintball | End Game Inc. | Redz l MCBfeedback
Kbar Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM #11
Linux_Box

From one perspective, it makes sense. Sponsorship should be for excellent play/teams. I can definitely agree with that perspective as being positive and good...

Unfortunately, it's not about play but money. If a team or player can get you exposure which leads to increased sales then it might be worth it. Is the cost of the sponsorship to the sponsorer (is that a word?) less than the money the sponsorship brings in? In our capitalistic/free-market economy, entities can use their funds as they see fit (within laws) to increase their growth and income. If sponsoring random players who may be less than excellent can make them a profit then it's certainly reasonable to allow them to do so.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for any number of reasons but that's the gist of it: it's about money. Before you say it's stupid, I hate it and it needs to change, please realize the US was built on and continues to be (but only for a little while longer unfortunately) a capitalistic/free market economy.

p.s. If they are losing money because they give away too much to sponsorship (a net loss) then it's their fault for doing so. Poor management leads to failed companies all the time. That's not the fault of using sponsorship but rather poor decisions by the sponsor.

p.p.s The sense of entitlement is a societal issue: it's all over the place in the US, not just in paintball. Everyone is created equal, correct?

Last edited by Linux_Box : 02-04-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Linux_Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM #12
Trip XIII
Captain/Treasurer

I'm pretty confident in saying when you receive a sponsorship you still have to buy their stuff. They don't give it away for free without receiving something in exchange. So the company is selling their product to you at a reduced cost. Yes it is a reduced cost to you, due to the fact that you know how much retail is. The companies have a built in profit margin that follows their product. Yes the profit margin will be greater if they sell you direct from their website compared to them selling it to a dealer at cost.

Also the sponsorship is FREE advertisment. When a company isn't doing well the first couple of things they get rid of or decrease is their staff, and advertising. So now the company is still selling their product and making a profit which in turn is now greater because they can avoid the advertising expense.

George and Josh, that is one really well written post. I give you a ton of credit for this, but this topic is a double edged sword. Both sides have great arguements, and when it comes down to it, it is up to the company and what direction they want to take. If one team declines the sponsorship there will be 5 more lined up to accept.

Let me give you an example. Take a look at the back of your car. Is there a sticker, or something saying where you bought your car? I bet there is. Now when you sat down and talked about the price I bet you didn't include taking some money off for them to put that there. In turn it is FREE to the dealership.

Last edited by Trip XIII : 02-04-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Trip XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 AM #13
MarkKaz
Red Raider

MarkKaz supports Cereal Killerz 2
MarkKaz supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip XIII View Post
Let me give you an example. Take a look at the back of your car. Is there a sticker, or something saying where you bought your car? I bet there is. Now when you sat down and talked about the price I bet you didn't include taking some money off for them to put that there. In turn it is FREE to the dealership.
Usually, that dealership decal in itself is a "status symbol".

In war there is but one favorable moment; the great art is to seize it! -Napoleon Bonaparte
In the Soviet army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance. -Josef Stalin

Tra-la-la lala la, Tra-la-la lala la, 1 Banana, 2 Banana, 3 Banana, 4...
MarkKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM #14
Trip XIII
Captain/Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKaz View Post
Usually, that dealership decal in itself is a "status symbol".
Not when you buy a used off brand model from a dealership. The decal gives you the name of the place, and usually a phone number. The vehicle itself is a status symbol.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 AM #15
toochman
Toochman

They lowered the bar? Damn they sure didn't lower it enough, nobody is calling me.. I have to wait till they drop the damn bar on the ground... LOL...

Plus my wife sponsors me and all she does is beat my *** with the damn bar...
Member of 518 NINJA SQUAD..
Supporter of the "Upstate Hate" Woodsball Team
www.capitalcombatzone.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/SPbTV
http://tuthilltown.com/home/
toochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 AM #16
Jason518
Make something happen!

Jason518 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jason518 supports Bob Gurnsey
And furthermore, what's with all the half assed scenario paintball teams putting out press realeases? NO ONE CARES
Tooch Harderer.
Walking back to respawn since 1996!
Jason518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM #17
dan_kasper
offender of all things

dan_kasper is playing at Living Legends III
dan_kasper is for the Gunfight
dan_kasper is for the Gunfight
your right, Im going to tell Arizona they can suck it. I'm through with the silver label
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM #18
MarkKaz
Red Raider

MarkKaz supports Cereal Killerz 2
MarkKaz supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip XIII View Post
Not when you buy a used off brand model from a dealership. The decal gives you the name of the place, and usually a phone number. The vehicle itself is a status symbol.
Depends which location you're at. I'm from the northerneast part of my state and the first thing people around here ask is, "where'd you get it?" I was referring to "new" luxury cars and their dealerships as status symbols. You went in a different direction with it. I should have been more clearer in my referral. My bad.

I'm probably off topic anyhows...
(running away before someone chucks a tomato at me.)

In war there is but one favorable moment; the great art is to seize it! -Napoleon Bonaparte
In the Soviet army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance. -Josef Stalin

Tra-la-la lala la, Tra-la-la lala la, 1 Banana, 2 Banana, 3 Banana, 4...
MarkKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM #19
-Cilio-

Get used to it Foote, scenario and big game ball is becoming a reflection of current society. I deal with this every day as a teacher. I feel like I am in the minority because I tell the kids that there are winners and losers in life... and it's up to them to choose which they will become. Not everyone in my classes get a blue ribbon. I'd like to think, that I am helping to prepare them to be successful in life.

Sponsorship means you are getting, not having to pay for, gear. In return... the company is represented by someone whose play and personality cause people to want to buy that companies gear.
Dave Cilio #13
TEAM MACHINE - Team ESP - Honary Member of the 518
Sherwood Forest, Special Ops, Metadyne Industries, Phenix Paintball, Smokin Products, Sly Equipment, Gorilla Air, www.warrioronetraining.com
-Cilio- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM #20
Slyd3r.
New York Assassins

Nobody cares. I have yet to meet one player who's gear I would buy just because he was using it.

Last edited by Slyd3r. : 02-04-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Slyd3r. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM #21
deltapaintball
Josh Foote (R)

deltapaintball is a Supporting Member
deltapaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
deltapaintball supports our troops
deltapaintball has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
deltapaintball supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan 03 View Post
I don't think you are going to get a lot of kudos and slaps on the back for that post, but I totally agree.
To be perfectly honest, we are not looking for kudos or a slap on the back. The realists know we are correct; you have to agree that you see teams that are sponsored at your local field, and ask yourself, “why?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessabanden View Post
Well I can't say I disagree with you. However I think you wrote a small thesis for nothing. Lots of people in this world have things they don't deserve, things they most certainly didn't work for. It is by no means limited to paintball and it won't be changing any time soon. In today's paintball landscape particularly (where even established pro teams are folding) the mindset seems to be safety in numbers. Just give deals to whoever we can and well see what sticks. It sucks, but I don't believe it will change anytime soon.
Simply because it has become the norm, doesn’t make it right by any means. While I agree whole heartily that it is not limited to paintball, however that is another topic for another time. The point being is that these companies need to stop sponsoring anyone and everyone if they wish to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Hawk^ View Post
Kudos and a hearty slap on the back!

Glad to see a national team like Delta take a stance, but this has been brought up before...
It has, TB wrote something similar a few years back I believe. Just because it’s been brought up before doesn’t make it any less true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux_Box View Post
From one perspective, it makes sense. Sponsorship should be for excellent play/teams. I can definitely agree with that perspective as being positive and good...

Unfortunately, it's not about play but money. If a team or player can get you exposure which leads to increased sales then it might be worth it. Is the cost of the sponsorship to the sponsorer (is that a word?) less than the money the sponsorship brings in? In our capitalistic/free-market economy, entities can use their funds as they see fit (within laws) to increase their growth and income. If sponsoring random players who may be less than excellent can make them a profit then it's certainly reasonable to allow them to do so.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for any number of reasons but that's the gist of it: it's about money. Before you say it's stupid, I hate it and it needs to change, please realize the US was built on and continues to be (but only for a little while longer unfortunately) a capitalistic/free market economy.

p.s. If they are losing money because they give away too much to sponsorship (a net loss) then it's their fault for doing so. Poor management leads to failed companies all the time. That's not the fault of using sponsorship but rather poor decisions by the sponsor.

p.p.s The sense of entitlement is a societal issue: it's all over the place in the US, not just in paintball. Everyone is created equal, correct?
I think you are missing the bigger picture that we are trying to make. We are not saying it’s the player that’s at fault, they are being offered stuff at discounted prices, and honestly, who would pay full price if they have an option to pay less? Unless you are a wealthy individual, you are looking for whatever price break you can get. The point we are making is that when a company sponsors any team that has picked up a gun, they are hurting the dealers. Chances are the person was going to shoot your marker anyway, but instead of allowing the dealer to make profit, they are bypassing them for a “direct sale.”

I hope that you don’t feel you are being bashed; I am a huge proponent of the free market, as is my co-writer on this topic. In essence what we are stating, is don’t cry when you (industry) are helping to cause the problem. We are trying to give them a wake up call about how they are hurting themselves for the short term gain.

And no, everyone is NOT created equal when it comes to sponsorships in paintball. It used to be that you had to win awards or tournaments, travel around to different fields, maintain a media profile, (I am not referring to posting a lot on online forums) and charitable work. From reading your post, it seems that we share similar political beliefs, lets take that portion to a PM, thus to keep this topic from going off tangent.
deltapaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyScenario Ups