Old 02-01-2010, 08:56 AM #1
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Free Agent Report

So, everything that follows was either told to me personally or is now considered part of the collective consciousness of paintball due to being bantered about online.

#1. The All Americans are done and the players are headed for the hills. We already say FK go to TBD and KF go to the RL, now Chad George is allegedly part of Dynasty and Pat is part of Vicious. That leaves Tim, Ryan, Sam and Son as free agents. I heard somewhere that Ryan already had a team, but it wasn't public info, and I wasn't told what team and wasn't able to confirm it.
Score: 4 new free agents

#2. Nicky Cuba and JR are allededly no longer with the Ironmen. I've heard nothing about JR, but rumors have Nicky everywhere and anywhere from Tampa Bay Damage to the Palm Beach Vipers. None of those rumors is reliable. I have heard of no pickups by the 'Men, but I have heard more depatures are forthcoming.
Score: 6 new free agents

So, that is 6 new free agents on the market. Add those to the former Hurricanes and players from Rage, United and potentially Avalanche. And, of course, who knows what else is coming.

On the flip side of the coin, what teams are out there looking for pickups? How many teams have the budget to fly people in?

-Vicious obviously did, but after picking up Billy, Pat and Drew Templeton (from Shock), they probably don't have any needs left to fill.

-Tampa may have the budget (although I'm told they won't fly people in), but I don't know if they have any openings. They did pick up FK already.

-Dynasty picked up Chad already. I don't know how many spots they have to fill nor how much money they have to spend.

-Will the Men fly people in? There is a lot of talent local to them, so they may not need to.

So, bottom line, there are a lot of players out there, limited known spots available for them, and it is likely that more teams fall off than decided to fly in players from here on out.

Discuss

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 AM #2
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
NeCanes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NeCanes is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Should see some get on some semi pro teams ane make that division stronger but i think well see a lot of these people retire to the real world.b teams just don't have the budgets that they use to.
NeCanes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM #3
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Is Arsenal still alive? If so, are they going to pull in the more "local" talent this season? Son has played with them before.

What about Rico and Brian? What are they doing this year?

I think it was mentioned on the PSP world cup webcast that pro rosters are going back up to 10 players this season. Is that correct?

I agree with TBO, and I think we've both said it before, but it certainly seems like a good opportunity for semi-pro and D1 players to pick up some talent.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 AM #4
J. Stein

Arsenal: unknown.
Rico & Brian: unknown.
Pro rosters are going to 9+1. But I think the limiting factor will be more on money.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie

Last edited by J. Stein : 02-01-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM #5
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
I get the feeling there are going to be a lot of pro players who leave the paintball world and maybe won't ever come back, even if things pick up again and money is available. At the same time, you'll have a lot of younger talent being pulled up. Is this a potential "brain drain" on the talent pool, or is it a fresh start?

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM #6
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Maybe a fresh start is what is needed.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 AM #7
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
the problem is...all players are ranked too high for some teams to grab up so they can keep playing...i think team rosters should indicate what division team is in ...cause lets be honest...1 pro player isnt going to make a bad D3 team a champion

but a line of ex-pros is different

a team shouldnt be hamstringed to 2 players 1 div up. it should be 2 players 1 division up...or 1 player unlimited div up...or somthing to that variation..

thus giving ex-pro's that still want to play...TONS of places...

just an idea
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 AM #8
J. Stein

It is limited to 2 players 1 division up or 1 player 2 divisions up.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM #9
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
see....great minds...
Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM #10
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing

Annual Supporting Member
Shecki is a Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Shecki supports our troops
Shecki plays in the APPA D3 division
How many free agents fom the Hurricanes? Blonski, Frank, Kali??? Or are most of them staying?

Edit: not sure how many you can keep...is it 2?

Original Feedback

Clockwork Clothing

For all of your printed apparel needs ! ! !

Last edited by Shecki : 02-01-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Shecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM #11
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
Its not how many players the lower level teams can keep or carry its more what they can afford to carry. These players are use to geting everything for free. With budgets being cut way back this stuff isn't going to happen anymore. Do you think most of these players will want to drop down that many divisions to pay......some yes because of the love of the game some won't want to swallow their pride and some just can't afford it. That's why I think more will retire and there will be a fresh look to a lot or teams

Last edited by NeCanes : 02-01-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM #12
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
That's why I think the sport is going to lose a lot of great players.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM #13
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing

Annual Supporting Member
Shecki is a Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Shecki supports our troops
Shecki plays in the APPA D3 division
I guess it could be treated like a lot of "business" in this economy. Sometimes you've got to take a step or two backwards, in order to move forward. It'll be interesting to see what some of the free agents are going to do.

Original Feedback

Clockwork Clothing

For all of your printed apparel needs ! ! !
Shecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM #14
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeCanes View Post
Its not how many players the lower level teams can keep or carry its more what they can afford to carry. These players are use to geting everything for free. With budgets being cut way back this stuff isn't going to happen anymore. Do you think most of these players will want to drop down that many divisions to pay......some yes because of the love of the game some won't want to swallow their pride and some just can't afford it. That's why I think more will retire and there will be a fresh look to a lot or teams
Entitlement is a terrible thing, for those who "expect" to be treated a certain way.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM #15
VSOwnage
Pursuit of Professional

VSOwnage plays in the PSP
VSOwnage is an NCPA player
VSOwnage plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
That's why I think the sport is going to lose a lot of great players.
Right, but at the same time, like I think you said somewhere above..make room for a lot of younger talent that would have otherwise gone unnoticed. Blessing in disguise? Maybe, maybe not.
Fox 4 Paintball - Upton, MA
VSOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM #16
J. Stein

UPDATE:

1. Cleaned up the thread.
2. Dave Bains to Impact (for 7man only).

So, RL may or may not have an opening and Impact may or may not have an opening.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM #17
Jeffriezz

Jeffriezz supports Cereal Killerz 2
Mike Hinman put it well when addressing what would happen to the players that don't make the new Infamous team after their merger with aftermath in his video interview on propaintball (too lazy to link to it). He said that if you can't hang in pro anymore it doesn't mean step back and play semi-pro, it means it's the end of the road unless someone else wants you. So yeah some "big" names may have to step away from the game, and I say so what? Xfactor is rebuilding, the aftermath program always has a steady influx of new players, the hurricanes are obviously doing the same thing, now's the time to start following the up-and-comers, buy a benny carroll jersey or a kyle spicka jersey.
DYE Precision | PbNation | ProPaintball | Understood | Rhode Island Paintball | Warzone Paintball & Airsoft Park | OXCC | NEXL
Become a fan at Hurricanes' Facebook Fan Page

QUACK
Jeffriezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM #18
benpb03

benpb03 is a Professional paintball player
here's what I have to say about many great ballers leaving the game...

for those familiar wit mma ...bj Penn was by far the most naturally talented fighter to enter the ufc and was beating up on fighter after fighter eventually becoming the champion and rockin the belt beating challengers with semi-ease (obviously defending a world champion belt isnt easy, but he was in a different world than any of his challengers)...

It wasn't until a fighter by the name of georges rush st. pierre who may not have been as raw talented as bj but was very close. he came along with an undying will to win, training as hard as rocky in rocky IV, and truly believing he could beat bj to end up knocking BJ out of his title position. Yes st. pierre was bigger than bj but...the outcome of this was Bj waking up and realizing he had so mud raw skill that he could beat anyone in the world over and over if he used that skill paired with the same work ethic st. pierre brought to his fight...

in a recent title fight with bj and a challaner many thought could dethrone him, he brought that same work ethic... During that fight with diego sanchez Bj Penn showed the world that no fighter in the world was on his level and his legacy was sparked to those like Ali, Jordan, Gretzky, etc...

What is the meaning of this?

The majority of those ballers leaving had the raw talent and experience... But I they did there part paving the way for the up and coming ballers who will use their raw talent and train like george st. pierre

This year of changes in paintball is like the Bj vs St. Pierre in bj's career

Its awakening the giants in all of the major organizations of paintball... Its already showing, you have individuals like matt darula and tbo in everyones orgaizations training cutting weight putting in the hard work needed to make thier talents go as far as possible... Then you have teams like infamous, xfactor, the hurricanes, aftermath etc... Rebuilding training as hard as ever and you have leagues who belong like the PSP reforming giving the players and the sport what it needs to breed the st pierres and Bj penns of the world a way to get to the top...

The people who were meant to be champions will be here in 2010 and beyond
New England Avalanche | Benny Carroll #2

Valken |Vanguard Demon | NXe | Stiffi Barrels | Ninja Paintball | Dye | Exalt | RAZA | Tech PB | OXCC | Sly | Boston Paintball | GXG

Last edited by benpb03 : 02-01-2010 at 02:55 PM.
benpb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM #19
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
Benny idk how you compared the situation going on in paintball mostly forced by the economy to bj and gsp lol
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM #20
Buck

Buck is a founding member
Buck is a Professional paintball player
Buck donated to help Peyton Trent
Great story Hansel.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM #21
brawnpb

brawnpb plays in the APPA D4 division
That was a real joy to read. I completely agree.

How many of the pros have been pro simply because they have been playing at the top level year after year? They get cut by one team and picked up by another the next week. The pro ranks, for the most part (my own perspective, don't bash) have been recycling the same talent for the past 2-3 years, atleast. Time for some of them to hang it up. The natural progression of sports is you are only at the top for a few years and then the next new thing comes along. You can only play at the top for so long, until your talent isn't gone, but fresh blood needs to come in and be the future of a team, for better or worse.

There is no shame in retiring from a sport that you have been at the top of for so long, have been a household name, and got paid (some) to play a game you love and enjoy.

Please do not think that I am saying that some of these players are washed up or has-beens. Sometimes it is just better to go out on top and out on your own terms than be told that "sorry _____, times are tough and we can't afford to keep you on the team anymore."