Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 AM #1
bnh610

Need help on .50 for my son for xmas

Ok sorry for being uneducated in the paintball world. My wife and I started playing paintball this year cause the opened a huge park across the street. We love it. Xmas is around the corner and wanted to get my son involved. He is 7 but a big kid. I was looking at the JT splat master setup as a gift for the whole family to play out front or in the woods across the street. I want him to have fun and not get hurt the 1st time out leading him to not want to play. I see that there are other .50 markers out that take hpa and co2. My question is can the velocity be turned down on these markers so they don't hurt or are they fixed. Also are the splat masters worth the cost. Again I want to make this fun for the family. We already have .68 markers for us but looking to purchase another set of .50 for family fun. Any help in this would be great. Just looking for a good direction to go.
bnh610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2014, 11:33 AM #2
PaintballArkansas

For someone who is looking to play somewhat regularly, I would go with a semi-auto vs the splatmaster, mainly just because I see a nice Semi lasting longer than the splatmasters do. Also, If you are playing against other players who are playing with .50, you will be at a large disadvantage with the SM. Our Field has 70 GOG .50 ENMEYs and we have been extremely happy with them. The velocity on them can be adjusted between about 120fps and 300 fps. We run ours around 240fps at the field for our rental players. I would suggest investing in HPA as it is a better source of air and will prolong the life of your gun.
PaintballArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:37 AM #3
bnh610

How big of a difference on impact. I am really looking towards something that can be done at home. Filling hpa tanks is gonna be hard. I do have a field close by that does .50.
bnh610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:46 AM #4
PaintballArkansas

.50 cal is around 1/3 of the impact of .68 at the same FPS. Filling CO2 at home isnt too hard with the right equipment.
Because of the smaller amount of force required to get the smaller mass ball moving, the .50 cal guns are a little more efficient. We are getting around 500 rounds out of a 35 CI/3000 psi tank

Last edited by PaintballArkansas : 11-22-2014 at 11:54 AM.
PaintballArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:20 PM #5
858baller
I <3 Celtics

Very rarely do fields offer splatmaster walk ons due to the fact that the turnout is usually pretty low (for most)

Invest in a good Gog 50 cal he can grow into as he progresses more and more. The steps leading from splatmaster to normal 50 cal are short so it seems to be a more useful investment to get the Gog.
858baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:39 AM #6
PB Innovations

there are a couple options in the .50 caliber game, as paintball Arkansas said, the eNMEy50 is one of the retail options for a true .50 caliber gun and will handle CO2 ok. Spyder has .50 cal markers in a couple different versions and Tippmann is now has the FT50 which is a FT12 with factory installed .50 cal conversion kit, but the marker is sold as a rental gun, but I am sure a local dealer could get his hands on one for you.
Factory built .50 Caliber markers do tend to offer better air efficiency than .68 caliber guns with conversion kits as long as the paint to bore match is close.
We offer conversion kits for Tippmann 98 & FT based markers and the older style GOG markers (bolt out back). We also offer markers with our conversion kits installed. More info can be found on our website.
On the impact question, Yes .50 caliber is about a 1/3 of the impact, but you have to keep in mind the paintball itself when considering this. Markers like the low pressure GOG style guns generally can shoot a more brittle ball and therefore the impact is even less. The blowback markers are a bit harder on paint and require a less brittle ball to prevent breach/barrel breaks and the harder ball breaks with a bit more force.
Splatmaster is a decent choice for back yard play since it does not require an additional air source.
Hope this helps and Merry Xmas.
50 Caliber Solutions for the Field Owner
www.paintballinnovations.com

Last edited by PB Innovations : 11-23-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added
PB Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote