Community Focus

Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 PM #22
James@MacDev
secret underground lair

has been a member for 10 years
James@MacDev works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas rodrigo View Post
hello friends, I am writing from Argentina, I'm looking to buy this marker the "macdev tactical drone", preferably new!
let me know by private (MP) who the vnde, better if they send me some link or link to any reputable dealer ...
I hope we can help .. greetings!
from already thank you very much!
nicolas you can order directly from the macdev onlinse store if your having a hard time finding somewhere to buy.
James@MacDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 PM #23
Boomer14

Maintenance video for the tactical and DX drone. More to follow.

http://youtu.be/HFnY4MlWwD8
Boomer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:16 PM #24
ThorsHammer45

Annual Supporting Member
ThorsHammer45 is BST Legit
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends V
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VI
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VII
ThorsHammer45 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ThorsHammer45 supports Team VICIOUS
Drone Dx

Boomer..great video. I appreciate it. I just got the DX installed my James in my Tactical Drone. Had it on the field today. Shot great, definetely louder than before and maybe a little more kick. But shot everytime I pulled the trigger. I had major problems before (leaks, non-firing, etc.) before I got the new drive installed. But alas..a small problem.

My air efficiency was HORRIBLE! I set the dwell down to 8 like people mentioned to do on the forums and I was lucky if I got 4 pods and a full rotor (about 850 rounds) on a hot 4500/68 fill. Is this kind of efficiency the norm?? I know that spoolies are not the best but I thought that it was supposed to get way better than that. Any thoughts???? Thanks.
ThorsHammer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 AM #25
Boomer14

Yea, the louder part is a great feature with this drive. My clone got horrible efficicncy out of the box, all I did is shoot it and now it gets 1500+ on a 68/4500. Setting the dwell at 8 and shooting it should be all the dx really needs. You might try cleaning and lubing the drive, but don't expect any miracles right away. Some of them do great on efficiency out of the box, and others need more breaking in. After about 10 or so cases, it should be noticeably more efficient. It's all about the minor variances in orings that make the seal.

If you aren't patient enough to wait to break it in, do this:

Set the dwell to 6. Clean and lube the drive (using Militia lube), and see if it cycles fully. If it does, it should pick up efficiency a little. Lowering the dwell actually helps efficiency in this drive. All the drive needs is for the solenoid to stay open long enough to cycle the bolt forward, then all the excess gas is vented. Lowering the dwell limits the amount of gas that vents, increasing efficiency. You just have to ensure that the bolt is cycling completely and consistantly. The colder it is, the thicker the grease, which makes it more sticky and needs a higher dwell to cycle. Theoritically, if it is hot out, you could lower the dwell. I have a dx that works fine at 5 ms when it is over 80 degrees.

btw- While adjusting the dwell, I've never noticed a difference in that "smoothness" that everyone seems fixated on. Personally, I just care that it works everytime I pull the trigger and is reasonably efficient.

Last edited by Boomer14 : 08-29-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 AM #26
ThorsHammer45

Annual Supporting Member
ThorsHammer45 is BST Legit
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends V
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VI
ThorsHammer45 is playing at Living Legends VII
ThorsHammer45 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ThorsHammer45 supports Team VICIOUS
Tactical Drone

Boomer..thanks for the intel. I personally don't like the loudness of the gun (liked it when it was quieter, especially in the woods) but I can live with it for the reliability. That is good to hear that the efficiency will get better. Come to think of it, at the end of the day, it did seem like I did get more rounds out than I did in the beginning.

I will tinker with the dwell and see where I can get to with reliable functioning. But other than that, really happy with the reliability compared with the old drive. Night and day difference. I also started using those tougher bolt o-rings that you got from McMaster Carr as well.

Thanks again for all the tips. Greatly appreciated!
ThorsHammer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 AM #27
Shady33

Does anyone know if the Apex2 barrel will fit through the stock shroud cap ?

Thanks

Lead, Follow or get the *%&# out of the way !!
Shady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 PM #28
Boomer14

the cap is removeable on the shroud. Just unscrew it and the shroud looks fine without it and the barrel will fit nicely in the shroud. But no, it will not fit with the cap in place.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 PM #29
Shady33

Thanks Boomer, When did they start putting the DX drive into the Drone ?

Gong to be getting the the Tac Drone and just want to make sure it has the DX drive, nor an older model.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 AM #30
Burning Ogre

Hard to say, just before the introduction of the drone, The dx drive was already available for the tactical drone.

The difference in drivetrains is easy, the original tactical drone's drive train is a lot smaller (1/2 the length of the dx-drivetrain) aka it doesn't go to the backcap of the marker. (and no valve but a powertube)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 AM #31
Shady33

Is the LED screen on the grip standard or is that an upgraded board ? The store I was looking at to purchase did not show it on the picture.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 AM #32
Burning Ogre

There is a led on the back of the grip. It is possible to put a clone's Oled screen + board in it, but you'll have to add a capacitor.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM #33
Boomer14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady33 View Post
Thanks Boomer, When did they start putting the DX drive into the Drone ?

Gong to be getting the the Tac Drone and just want to make sure it has the DX drive, nor an older model.
I guess I missed this question, sorry for the late response.
Contact Macdev directly for availability of the Tacdrone with the DX drive. Any inventory at a retailer would most likely have the stock drive I have a couple on order already. The DX drive is a drop in replacement and can be added to any tac drone if purchased seperately.

Last edited by Boomer14 : 02-07-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM #34
Boomer14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Ogre View Post
There is a led on the back of the grip. It is possible to put a clone's Oled screen + board in it, but you'll have to add a capacitor.
I would not recommend modifying it yourself unless you are a electronics tech and are willing to take the liability for the modification. The ones that are out there (Mine included) were done by Macdev at my request. This may still be a possiblity if you are patient in getting it.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:02 PM #35
Ome

I have an old tac drone and I want you put a clone oled board in it.
I know I have to mod something in the grip frame for the clone board to work. (I have the older version of the tac drone). Is there a video or info with the how to and part I need?

I really like my tac drone and it would be a great inprovment to it.

Thanks
Ome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 PM #36
Boomer14

The clone board itself has to be modified, not the grip frame or any part of the tac drone. You will also need the clone grip with the window for OLED. You can contact a Macdev dealer or Macdev directly to see if they can help you with the board, but it is a custom, one-of-a-kind thing, so they may not be able to.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:11 PM #37
Cantide

Looking at getting a tac drone.
On the fire selection switch, are the full auto and burst modes capped or uncapped?
Also, how can I tell if I am getting a drone with the dx drive or not? Is it noted on the box?
Cantide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 PM #38
drunknmunky83

Boomer what do you think about modding DX drive with xrings ?
drunknmunky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 PM #39
Boomer14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantide View Post
Looking at getting a tac drone.
On the fire selection switch, are the full auto and burst modes capped or uncapped?
Also, how can I tell if I am getting a drone with the dx drive or not? Is it noted on the box?
wow, I missed this question. The fire modes are capped if you set a cap in the setup. There is no really no way to tell if the dx drive is there without opening it up. I believe all shipped after about June of 2011 included the DX, and some made before then had it. They have been out of production since February of this year, so any sold new have been sitting for a while.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 PM #40
Boomer14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmunky83 View Post
Boomer what do you think about modding DX drive with xrings ?
I tried it on the dx with tac drive, and did not have any improvement that I could verify. In fact, I had some first shot drop issues that I just gave up on trying to get rid of, and went back to standard orings. Because the exact fit is unique to each bolt/keg/valve combination, there may be some that work fine or even better with them.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 AM #41
PhazedReality818

i did the x ring mod on my drone and it shoots great. i had to buy each size of o ring i replaced in packs of 100 and went through about 15 of each before i found the perfect ones for the drive to not cause too much drag and no fsdo. its very time consuming, but after having it like that for 6+ months, it was definitely worth it.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 AM #42
Shanghai
Independent Operator

On a scale of 1 to 10, how big an improvement would anyone say the DX drive is over the original drive? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Former Captain of the DEAD RINGERS SCENARIO PAINTBALL TEAM. Now an independent operator.
Shanghai is offline   Reply With Quote