PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 PM #1
p8ntballer9906

p8ntballer9906 plays in the PSP
p8ntballer9906 plays in the APPA beginner division
LAW plans

I have been planning on building my LAW for quite some time I was using a air compressor blow gun as my trigger mechanism but it could not get enough airflow for the design I want at 125 PSI so I have scrapped that idea but have seen more ideas using Power Washer replacement/universal handles and have an idea of what I want to do. I will post pictures later when I get them time right now I'm about to leave for work and I will hopefully have pictures up tonight when I get off.
Here is what I'm planning to do.
I have 2- 2ft sections of PVC pipe: one is used for the barrel one is strictly used for show, not an air chamber or anything. I plan on mounting the power washer wand underneath the barrel and have some smaller PVC pipe to get it to go to the back end of my barrel section and I have already modified a 2inx1/2 piece to make it a coupler between my two 2ft sections of PVC.
Like I said before I will be adding pictures later tonight when I get home from work but just some ideas for when I would get back would be sweet! if you guys have any!

Thanks all!

Here are the pictures!

the Karni is there to resemble the pressure washer handle and there is a hole that I have drilled in the back half for the 1/2" PVC to enter and connect to the middle section.

lmk if more pictures would be helpful!

Last edited by p8ntballer9906 : 02-02-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added pictures
p8ntballer9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 AM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

A long while back in another forum a guy said he made the concept of using a power washer grip for a high pressure (>150 psi) work. We started asking specifics and he stopped responding so I'm not so sure.

I spent a little time looking for online manuals and parts lists to see what the orifice size was for the plunger type valve they used. Not much luck but I did say I spent a "little" time. My thinking was a straight feed from my 3000 psi air tank into the 3000 psi grip. The size of the air chamber would be much smaller and the higher operating pressure would result in a much shorter barrel IF the the flow volume through the valve orifice is large enough.

Trouble is I would have to have 3000 psi plumbing throughout which is expensive and necessarily heavier than standard galvanized rated at 300 psi.

In the pics the guy posted, he was showing galvanized plumbing indicating to us that he was hopefully NOT using more than 300 psi. No pressure regulator and was fed through a standard remote. So he was probably using a standard HPA tank (900 psi) or possibly and hopefully a Low pressure air tank (450 psi). Either way, he was most likely using operating pressures above what his plumbing was rated for. He did state he had to add a small air chamber to get the velocity up to the speed limit. Looked like a 1" elbow fitting reduced down to fit directly onto the grip. Maybe 1-2 cubic inches volume. I KNOW a standard coiled remote hose is a flow restriction in cannon applications. Reduces the refil time on my RPG to about 3 seconds compared to about a second and a half using braided stainless steel air lines. So that need for a small air chamber was consistent with my experience.

In design, keep it small, light, and compact as possible. You will find yourself trying to crawl into a good firing position. Too small a bunker to reload without part of the RPG sticking out to be a target to shoot at. If it is too bulkly, you won't be able to carry a marker as well and will be a designated RPG player only.

Interested is a sliding breech, breech, or muzzle loading design?
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 PM #3
p8ntballer9906

its just a muzzle loader but i'm pretty sure i'm prolly going to go to another design using a sprinkler valve design after reading your comments which I will post up my progress when I get there!

Thanks for your feedback it is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 PM #4
LordOderus

I built one using a pressure washer handle. I didn't build an airchamber for it, so the pressure is only held in the tank (using a 20oz Co2) the remote line, and the inlet on the handle (the one I have is rated for 1500psi). You just jam on the trigger and it floods the barrel and pushes the Rocket out. I lost a lot of range by not having a pressure chamber, (only getting about 100ft) but it only weighs a few pounds, can't blow up, and cost less than $50 to make.
LordOderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM #5
Lufen

Lufen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM #6
LordOderus

Oooooh that is smexy!
LordOderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:07 AM #7
p8ntballer9906

ok I will definately think about that this weekend something with a 100ft range would be fine but i would like something smaller...

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com...launcher+guide

this is also something i'm considering...

Last edited by p8ntballer9906 : 02-04-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 PM #8
p8ntballer9906

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOderus View Post
I built one using a pressure washer handle. I didn't build an airchamber for it, so the pressure is only held in the tank (using a 20oz Co2) the remote line, and the inlet on the handle (the one I have is rated for 1500psi). You just jam on the trigger and it floods the barrel and pushes the Rocket out. I lost a lot of range by not having a pressure chamber, (only getting about 100ft) but it only weighs a few pounds, can't blow up, and cost less than $50 to make.
and if i'm not mistaken u were using the larger rockets right?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM #9
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Instead of a coiled remote, use a braided stainless. Again the feed hose is a flow restriction. The stainless is better than the coiled but still a flow restriction.
The next restriction is the push pin on the CO2 or air tank. Plenty for markers but can do only so much volume out of that little orifice in there.

You might be pleasantly surprised if you put a 4-5 ci air chamber between the remote hose and the grip inlet. That would bypass all those limitations. The limitations then would be the hose fitting internal diameter at the grip and then the orifice size in the pressure sprayer. Wouldnt take much R&D to try it.
Bet you'll like it.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:25 AM #10
p8ntballer9906

what about just using a 12g hooked right up to the pressure washer trigger?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM #11
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Don't have a clue but I would be concerned about the flow rate out of the opening you punched in the CO2 cartridge. Fastlearned does something simular to that. He uses a burst disk made out of layers of aluminum foil betweena the 12 gram and the barrel. Opens the 12 gram and it builds pressure until the burst disk ruptures. Gather from talking to him it takes not quite a second for the pressure to build and rupture. Now, to put that in perspective. Per Dall Hall's gas gun design tool, it takes 4 miliseconds (Four One Thousandths of a Second) to launch a Nerf out of my 18" barrel RPG through a sprinkler valve or quick exhaust valve. Neither valve gets completely open before the Nerf leaves the barrel even though I have 145 psi HELPING to open it... If I can connect the dots properly, I would guess you would have flow problems.
Still, all you need is a small volume for that 12 gram to expand into to generate sufficient operating pressure. From what the guys post trying pressure sprayer valves, they indicate they have enough flow to have a functional Nerf.

Fast learners air chamber is 3" of 1 inch pipe between the 12 gram and the burst disk... Fittings for pressure sprayer are larger than paintball 1/8 NPT fittings so they would have higher flow rates.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 PM #12
p8ntballer9906

PMed you Boom
Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 AM #13
duanepc

duanepc is attending Decay of Nations VI
just another design

It may be heavier than you're looking for, but it shoots excellent and reloads fast.

duanepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 AM #14
DuckTape Dude
Layin' down the L.A.W.

DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Dang man!! That looks great. Give us some details!!
DuckTape Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 AM #15
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Based on the size of the air chamber (About 7 ci) I am very curious about the operating pressure that the reg is set at. Supply line from the reg to the air chamber looks like braided stainless steel.

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-13-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 PM #16
Lonus

Boom I am with you about the pressure. I have a similar setup with an 8" x 3/4" expansion chamber. I run about 380 psi with mine. Most ball valves are only rated 600 psi.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM #17
duanepc

duanepc is attending Decay of Nations VI
i got the plans from this site and then adapted to a remote line.

http://www.alternativepaintball.com/m79mkII.htm

"Aim Small, Miss Small"
duanepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM #18
Boom Master
Scenario Player

So what IS your operating pressure?

Galvanized pipe from the hardware store is rated 300 psi.

Just because you found it on a website and paid money for it doesn't mean it is Underwriters Laboratory listed.

Is that a pressure guage or a regulator with a guage down where the bottle screws in?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM #19
WarHog & Wallis
War Hog & Wallis

Couldn't that sprayer valve work in place of a blow gun as a trigger for a "standard" law set up. I'm thinking plumb it from the front to dump out the bottom. I like the idea of the actual grip. Trim the trigger lever down to one finger so you could grip the handle for added control.

?
Loyalists MVP to Wallis - Manhunt III, ASC '09
German MFO - Weird War II, EMR '08
Bad MVP to the team - GBU, Strategy Plus '08
Rebel MVT - Operation Mind Crime HEP '08
WarHog & Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote