Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 PM #1
LordOderus

My $50 Panzerschreck

Hey I recently met a few guys that are into scenario ball, and will be playing with them this spring and summer. I have a few years of plumbing experience and have built a spud gun or two in my day so I figured I would take a crack at building a Co2 powered anti tank weapon. I wanted to do it for as cheap as possible. The main part is all down and now I am working on the cosmetics. The whole thing cost me a little under $50 to build.

First, I bought a universal replacement handle for a pressure washer. Rated for something like 1500 psi, so no fear of anything in there breaking. That was a little under $30.

I used a brass reducer that came with the handle to reduce the inlet to 3/16 threading. I added a 3/16 gas line coupling to that at a cost of about $2. This 3/16 coupling has a compression fitting on the end. With that removed, the threads fit perfectly into an ASA from a tippman that I got at a pro shop for $5. A little lock tight was used on all the threads. The lock tight was about $3 as well.

The barrel is a 3inch piece of schedule40 pvc. This is just about 2 feet long and cost me $.29 at the hardware store I bought everything at. This goes into a reducer down to 2 inch. The reducer was about $4. The reducer threads onto a second reducer that reduces to 1/2 into which I threaded a 1/2 steel nipple, which threaded into the pressure washer handle outlet. The reducer and nipple were about $5

The cosmetic body of the launcher is made of schedule 10 pvc (also known as solid pipe) I had a ton of this laying around, but a 10ft piece is about $7. The blast shield is made of foam board and sheet plastic. I had this laying around from a halloween costume I made. This would cost about $5 to buy.

The ammo I am using is knock off nerf rockets bought at walmart for $3 each.

I am going to hook a remote line to the ASA and hide the tank in the back part of the launcher.

I'm getting a little over 70 feet off of it now when fired with a slight arc. I plan of spraying the inside of the barrel with PAM or some other non stick cooking spray the night before I play to reduce friction and add to the seal of the rocket.

I should my friend point blank with it when testing it (his idea) and he said it didn't hurt but had a decent amount of force behind it.

So that's it. I have a few pictures here of the rocket launcher in the first steps of its cosmetic work. I didn't think of taking pics of the launchers "guts" but you get the idea looking at it. I will also add a picture of a panzerschreck , which my launcher is based on.

I got 12 or 13 shots off a full 9oz tank. I had a slight leak at the time (hence the lock tight) so I think I should get about 14 to 15 shots now.

Questions, comments and criticisms welcome!

-pete-

Last edited by LordOderus : 01-29-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: forgot something
LordOderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 PM #2
deadmanUJ

Most producers only allow 2" rockets and yours looks to big.
deadmanUJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 PM #3
LordOderus

Yeah the diameter is 3inch. I'm not worried about it though because most of the scenario games we will be playing will be on private property here with a big group of friends.

Any field run scenarios I go to, I will call first and ask about the launcher. If it's not allowed I won't bring it. I mostly built it for the scenarios we have planned for playing here.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 PM #4
_ZIPPY_

_ZIPPY_ supports Sherwood Forest
Sorry no PVC allowed> not rated for high pressure air

Marnet IT Consulting and Services

www.Paintballer187.com
_ZIPPY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM #5
LordOderus

Like I said, it's meant for playing on private property.

But the PSI rating of Schedule 40 pvc is 840 psi. Whats the minimum PSI rating for most fields to be legal?

Keep in mind there is no air chamber. It just floods pressure from the Co2 tank and pushes the rocket until it clears the barrel. There's no pressure tank or anything, just the trigger on the pressure washer handle.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 PM #6
LordOderus

Is there an official rule set for what the PSI minimums are and such for home made Anti tank weapons? I understand the need for a rated pressure tank. Thats why I decided not to even use a pressure tank in my design. Less things can go wrong that way. Basically I made a T-Shirt cannon, and built a body around it.

this is the Tshirt gun I used as a model

http://funguncompany.com/xcart/produ...roductid=16138

That's pretty much exactly what I built, only with a larger, heavier duty barrel so that I can shoot the nerf rockets.

I also designed it so I can unscrew the barrel and screw a smaller one on. The only rockets I've found that fit so far are those 3 inch ones I got a walmart for $3 each.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 AM #7
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

dude thats not a Panzerschrek. ITs A hobokanonne. you can do better than that

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 AM #8
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOderus View Post
Is there an official rule set for what the PSI minimums are and such for home made Anti tank weapons? I understand the need for a rated pressure tank. Thats why I decided not to even use a pressure tank in my design. Less things can go wrong that way. Basically I made a T-Shirt cannon, and built a body around it.

this is the Tshirt gun I used as a model

http://funguncompany.com/xcart/produ...roductid=16138

That's pretty much exactly what I built, only with a larger, heavier duty barrel so that I can shoot the nerf rockets.

I also designed it so I can unscrew the barrel and screw a smaller one on. The only rockets I've found that fit so far are those 3 inch ones I got a walmart for $3 each.
use a 2 inch barrel and go to family dollar to buy smaller nerfs. they are the "nerf mini vortex"

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 AM #9
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Your Launcher

I think you did an awesome job in creating a real life looking launcher and rockets. The details are really remarkable. Just be careful on what your calling it for those whom are into scaled and historically correct things. My only concern with a rocket of this size is its bigger and a little harder then the two inch vortex nerf. And for some unknown reason when you shot it and would hit and blow out the window or portal of a tank. Then strike someone in the head where their mask didnt cover. They just might have a problem worse then a headache. I know this from personal experience. If your going to shoot this at tanks please make sure your aim is not in those particular areas. You didnt mention the range on this launcher. I suggest if you shoot it at a tank then you might want to be at least 40 yards away to ensure some of the impact is reduced. Some players think they are cool and want to brag to their buddies how they shot their launcher at a tank at point blank range. I have actually thought about building something of this nature to use as a mortar or to shoot at bunkers or dwellings at long range. Again very nice job in your creation and lots of safe fun with it.

Treaddz
Team CroMagnum Scenerio Armor
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM #10
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

"I think you did an awesome job in creating a real life looking launcher and rockets"

come on your busting my chops right? Do we really have to be so pc on here that we support even the poorest craftsmanship? first the net on that guys head now this. My six year old kid was just giggling at this.Im not here to insult anyone but come on.

For the builder

you are on the right track,but as i said you could do much better with the build and cosmetics. Ive been toying with building the same thing. here is what ive came up with. you can fabricate the front sight and rear stuff our of steel rod and some misc steel found at home depot

an aluminum main tube would be nice but far more expensive

Main body- 3 inch cellular core pvc for the main tube. its strong like pvc but its lighter. DO NOT pressureize this material.

Shield- that could be made out of aluminum. or you could use thin plywood.it wont be perfect but woods easy to form.

air chamber- if you make the panzerschrek full size its 63 inches long. a big a$$ thing yes but,then theres pleanty of room for a long airchamber.

make a 2 inch airchamber out of pvc or steel pipe your choice. youll have to fabricate some adapter rings so it fits inside the 3 inch pvc. use a prinkler valve,youll need to cut a hole in the 3 inch for the sprinkler valve. use a blow gun for the trigger.

adapt the barrel to the inside of the 2 inch pvc the same as you did the air chamber.

the weapn will obviously have to be muzzel loaded

in any air chamber you should have a saftey relief valve. a pressure gauge is nice also. plus a regulator to keep the psi at about 90 psi. its also NOT advisable to use co2. co2 is liquid and sometimes very cold. this is not good for plastic parts.KA BOOM. i had a pvc grenade fill station blow up in my hotel room so i know. it blew a nice hole int he ceiling.

1.SS Panzer Korps

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 01-30-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 AM #11
hiddenphantom

Not to say its a great build but for a first attempt and for around $50 hey its pretty good.

If you can do better for = or less then prove it, but for $50 bucks its good. It meets the you get what you pay for.

The safety problem looks like its the biggest problem so you had better fix that.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 AM #12
LordOderus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post

come on your busting my chops right? Do we really have to be so pc on here that we support even the poorest craftsmanship? first the net on that guys head now this. My six year old kid was just giggling at this.Im not here to insult anyone but come on.
Well to be fair the cosmetic work isn't done yet. This was just the start of the body I am building around it. The next step will be to smooth out the entire body for painting, and to add the padding and straps inside the rear to hold the Co2 tank. I also still have to add the front sight. I'm not using aluminum or steel anywhere on the body because my goal was to keep it as light and cheap as possible while still having the look I wanted. It already weighs about 12-15lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
air chamber- if you make the panzerschrek full size its 63 inches long. a big a$$ thing yes but,then theres pleanty of room for a long airchamber.

make a 2 inch airchamber out of pvc or steel pipe your choice. youll have to fabricate some adapter rings so it fits inside the 3 inch pvc. use a prinkler valve,youll need to cut a hole in the 3 inch for the sprinkler valve. use a blow gun for the trigger.

adapt the barrel to the inside of the 2 inch pvc the same as you did the air chamber.
There is no air chamber on this launcher. I designed it that way for safety reasons. The only part of the entire unit that is pressurized when not firing is the pressure washer handle. That handle is rated for over 1500psi. I used it for the pressure washer parts because of their extreme pressure ratings. Any home made pressure chamber would be the most dangerous part of any launcher, so I just avoided it all together. This also saved on weight and size, but shortened the range dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnum Tankerman View Post
My only concern with a rocket of this size is its bigger and a little harder then the two inch vortex nerf. And for some unknown reason when you shot it and would hit and blow out the window or portal of a tank. Then strike someone in the head where their mask didnt cover. They just might have a problem worse then a headache. I know this from personal experience. If your going to shoot this at tanks please make sure your aim is not in those particular areas. You didnt mention the range on this launcher. I suggest if you shoot it at a tank then you might want to be at least 40 yards away to ensure some of the impact is reduced.

I mentioned in the first post that I'm getting a little over 70 feet off a slightly angled shot. But my first post was pretty disorganized so even I couldn't find it when I went back and looked for it. Now that I've done some tweaking, I should be getting about 90-100 feet. We also shot a friend of mine from about 15 feet to test how hard it was hitting and he was fine. Didn't even leave a bruise or anything. I made the barrel removable so that I can change to a smaller diameter if need be, but around here, the only footballs with fins (vortex style) that I can get are those 3inch ones from Walmart. Come spring and summer the local dollar stores and such will probably have more selection, so I will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and critiques. I should be getting some more work done on it this weekend, so I will post more pictures as I get more work done to it.

I hate to ask again but does anyone know if there is an "official" ruling on construction, PSI rating, ect? I've been looking around and haven't been able to find anything. Most of the "rules" I've seen are common sense stuff, but nothing about a specific PSI rating or anything of that nature.

-pete-
Old 01-30-2010, 05:17 PM #13
Lufen

For $50 it looks better then something I would of built. I'm not saying I can work wonders or anything, I finally gave up building and bought mine. Please post up some pics when you are done. You probably already know this but you could always down size it for the Nerf Vortex and I have heard of other people using pressure washer handles at regular scenario games.
Lufen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 AM #14
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

launcher analogy!

OK, Maybe I am not an expert on what RPG's are really suppose to look like. I know more about building models, structures, and sceneries for model railroads. My other hobby! I just think the young man did a good job creating something this technical on this low of a budget. I just hope he builds it right so he doesnt hurt himself if it blows. Its better then some of the other contraptions people have come up with. You experts out there should send him some more ideas so he can come close to making it right. Sounds like everyone is getting cabin fever. The attitudes are heating up. Cannot wait to get someone in my sights. Especially you BlackAngelSS!!! See you at Stalingrad as friend or foe!

Treaddz
Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 PM #15
LordOderus

^^ Thanks for the compliments. I don't think anyone was giving me attitude, people just get worked up about things they are passionate about! There is almost no chance of the gun blowing up and hurting me. The only part of the gun that is holding pressure is the Tippman ASA, 2 brass gasline fittings and the pressure washer handle. The Co2 tank is more likely to fail than they are.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 PM #16
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnum Tankerman View Post
OK, Maybe I am not an expert on what RPG's are really suppose to look like. I know more about building models, structures, and sceneries for model railroads. My other hobby! I just think the young man did a good job creating something this technical on this low of a budget. I just hope he builds it right so he doesnt hurt himself if it blows. Its better then some of the other contraptions people have come up with. You experts out there should send him some more ideas so he can come close to making it right. Sounds like everyone is getting cabin fever. The attitudes are heating up. Cannot wait to get someone in my sights. Especially you BlackAngelSS!!! See you at Stalingrad as friend or foe!

Treaddz
HAHAHA I cant wait

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM #17
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

This is what i see happening lol

[IMG][/IMG]

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 PM #18
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

nice one!!

You are a funny guy!! Nice shot of one of our duals on the field. Can you send me this pic or others of my fighting vehicle. Send to cromagtanker@yahoo. I have been thinking about installing a tank cam. Our luck at Stalingrad we'll be on the same team like last year. But if you want we can take some time and have a tank dual to ourselves for the fun of it.

Treaddz
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 PM #19
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

i dont have too many pics of your tank but ill check. have you sen our PAK 40 we built yet? Im hoping to retrofit a "Manufactured" launcher to the barrel so we can use it by ION

[IMG][/IMG]

1.SS Panzer Korps
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 AM #20
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Yes, I would agree that the PVC is used for cosmetic function and the barrel which nobody should have a problem with. I hope it was a typo when you stated schedule 40 3" pvc was rated 840 psi. Taint.

Yes a LOT of field require all metal air chambers and operating pressure plumbing parts. Many still allow use of the plastic sprinkler valves. But this is a High PRESSURE sprayer grip without an air chamber.

What operating pressure ARE you using. How is it plumbed? your air source?

Few fields state operating pressure maximums. Since most pneumatic applications and components are rated 150 psi, players rarely exceed that. An informal standard at best.

Sadly it has be since forever that any ref at the chrono station actually checked what my operating pressure actually was during the chrono check. Safety inspections seem to be getting lax. I have FELT a few hopped up commercially made launchers. Ref caught one with a dial a velocity reg shooting well over the speed limit. It got confiscated until the end of the game. I rarely see an on field chrono check of RPGs or Tank Cannons. A suggestion for the field owners and refs...

Last edited by Boom Master : 02-03-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 PM #21
LordOderus

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
Yes, I would agree that the PVC is used for cosmetic function and the barrel which nobody should have a problem with. I hope it was a typo when you stated schedule 40 3" pvc was rated 840 psi. Taint.

Yes a LOT of field require all metal air chambers and operating pressure plumbing parts. Many still allow use of the plastic sprinkler valves. But this is a High PRESSURE sprayer grip without an air chamber.

What operating pressure ARE you using. How is it plumbed? your air source?

Few fields state operating pressure maximums. Since most pneumatic applications and components are rated 150 psi, players rarely exceed that. An informal standard at best.

Sadly it has be since forever that any ref at the chrono station actually checked what my operating pressure actually was during the chrono check. Safety inspections seem to be getting lax. I have FELT a few hopped up commercially made launchers. Ref caught one with a dial a velocity reg shooting well over the speed limit. It got confiscated until the end of the game. I rarely see an on field chrono check of RPGs or Tank Cannons. A suggestion for the field owners and refs...
I'm using Co2 tanks for the air source. Most likely a 20oz that will be hidden in the rear and run to the ASA via remote line. The plumbing, aside from the barrel, is all brass gas line fittings.

The BURST pressure of 3in Schedule 40 pvc is in the 800 psi range. The Work pressure is usually considered in the high 200s. (260 I believe) Burst pressure can be found here:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pv...res-d_796.html

To be honest, I am unsure as to what my current operating pressure is. I don't have an air chamber, so there was no place for me to really add a reg. Ever disconnect a remote line on a live tank? Or have a macro line blow? That's basically what I have created, only with a trigger. This gun has very little power. I'm only getting about 100 feet off a shot.It's more like a giant blow gun as opposed to a paintball gun. It uses a long push of air as opposed to a pop of higher pressure air. I plan on getting in Chronoed as soon as the local field open up. I would be shocked if its shooting over 120fps.

Have a few pics of the state it is in now. Note the shameless use of the topless girlfriend to promote it ;-)

Last edited by LordOderus : 02-03-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling.