Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM #1
_PBH_
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MA
So I've decided to officially declare myself as Agnostic.

After about 2 years of deliberation and being without a religion, I have finally come to the conclusion I'm Agnostic. I do not believe that the human mind is capable of understanding the greater significance of our universe, or the purpose of our existence. After doing some research, I have found that I am technically a "weak Agnostic", meaning I think the possibility of a Deity is probable, however I'm not totally convinced.

Any other agnostics here? I'm interested in how others may have came to the same conclusion.

Other comments regarding my newfound beliefs are also welcome of course
__________________
Not Not Ali Legend: I eat my own **** and masturbate to gay porn.

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅1̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅1̲̅)̲̅$̲̅l bill ya'lllllllll
_PBH_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2010, 02:25 PM #2
Laureate
strength beyond strength
 
Laureate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
atheists and agnostics are the same thing...they just talk about different things...


that really does not pertain to the thread at all, i have just wanted to say that for a while
__________________
ST:F - Playin with the boys
Laureate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:46 PM #3
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
atheists and agnostics are the same thing...they just talk about different things...
Not at all...

Agnosticism is not a religious view, it's a stance about knowledge. Whereas Atheism and religions make a statement about the existence of God(s), Agnosticism makes a statement about the ability to know about the existence of God(s).

These are two different things.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 PM #4
Laureate
strength beyond strength
 
Laureate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Not at all...

Agnosticism is not a religious view, it's a stance about knowledge. Whereas Atheism and religions make a statement about the existence of God(s), Agnosticism makes a statement about the ability to know about the existence of God(s).

These are two different things.
i said agnostics and atheists, not agnosticism and atheiism
__________________
ST:F - Playin with the boys
Laureate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 PM #5
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
i said agnostics and atheists, not agnosticism and atheiism
Atheists tend to don't WANT there to be a god, and some would take actual irrefutable proof (if any were ever to be found someday) as an affront on their belief.

Agnostics tend to either don't want to know, don't mind either way, or have no issue if there is one.

If you're an atheist who is perfectly open to the possibility of the existence of a deity, then you're not really an atheist...you're an agnostic.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 PM #6
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems
 
Aaron5604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
If you're an atheist who is perfectly open to the possibility of the existence of a deity, then you're not really an atheist...you're an agnostic.
I disagree, I think it's the other way around...

A fence sitter (or someone who's indecisive, 50/50) is still summed up as being a disbeliever, and therefore still considered to be an atheist.

We're ALL agnostic by default (believers and disbelievers alike) given that absolute certainty today is impossible. God is either "believed" to exist, or not to exist. Either way, knowledge derived in either direction is really moot, and therefore equally applicable to all, including our pets.

Agnosticism, is really just a splitting hair difference, but still nonetheless atheistic in essence.
__________________
"Seeing Is Believing" and Ignorance is DEFINITELY bliss.

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.

Last edited by Aaron5604 : 01-23-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 PM #7
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron5604 View Post
A fence sitter (or someone who's indecisive, 50/50) is still summed up as being a disbeliever, and therefore still considered to be an atheist.
I find a big difference between "disbelief" in a particular belief system, and not believing in a deity at all.

The absolute truth is unknowable, but it all boils down to what you wish the truth to be. Do you wish there was a deity of some sort? Do you wish there wasn't one? Or do you wish the answer to remain unknowable?
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 AM #8
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems
 
Aaron5604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
I find a big difference between "disbelief" in a particular belief system, and not believing in a deity at all.
Well, when phrased like that, then as do I. Though, isn't that wording still either: 1). Theistic, or 2). Atheistic in terms of what you truly believe as an individual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
The absolute truth is unknowable, but it all boils down to what you wish the truth to be. Do you wish there was a deity of some sort? Do you wish there wasn't one? Or do you wish the answer to remain unknowable?
I believe if you're truly wishing for the answer, then you aren't truly searching for the objective truth. On most occasions, I'd probably say for those, "wishing" -- their search never truly began, but ended instantaneously the very second they began wishing. Therefore, (on a subsequent level) have already made up their decision, thus making them Theistic, rather than Atheistic.

And yes, I realize that all goes both ways (our emotions). But, the point being, I still don't see where Agnosticism applies as being it's own, separate from the two?
__________________
"Seeing Is Believing" and Ignorance is DEFINITELY bliss.

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.

Last edited by Aaron5604 : 01-24-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 AM #9
Dr.Phil.McGraw (Banned)
I am a doctor, seriously!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: at Harpo industrial chem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
atheists and agnostics are the same thing...they just talk about different things...
not true.

agnostics listen to different beliefs and say "sure.... maybe"
atheists are douchebags.


and to the OP welcome to the club.
you have just joined the one true faith.
Dr.Phil.McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 AM #10
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
i said agnostics and atheists, not agnosticism and atheiism
And who, exactly, is an agnostic?

Just because they claim to be one doesn't mean they actually are one. An agnostic who is "the same thing as an atheist" is not an agnostic at all and is poorly mistaken about his/her views on life.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM #11
cuttlefish32
 
 
cuttlefish32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quick question to all the agnostics here: is it possible to be agnostic but also biased toward a religion? Can you be unsure about the existence of a God but still follow, say, Christian ideals? Because if that's true, Agnosticism is not so much an entire religion, its more just one idea, which is that God may or may not exist.
__________________
If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.
-Henry Ford
cuttlefish32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:43 PM #12
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttlefish32 View Post
Quick question to all the agnostics here: is it possible to be agnostic but also biased toward a religion? Can you be unsure about the existence of a God but still follow, say, Christian ideals? Because if that's true, Agnosticism is not so much an entire religion, its more just one idea, which is that God may or may not exist.
Definitely possible. I personally think of my self as Agnostic Catholic (due to family history, ceremonial preference, and feeling that big *** pipe organs are just plain cool). Do I agree with everything in Catholic dogma? Nope, not at all (the official stance on birth control for one), but it's better to strive for changes from within.

Agnostics cover the full spectrum, with a small percentage being right smack dab in the middle. Most tend towards a particular theism, or towards atheism, by some degree.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM #13
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death
 
T-Vizz the 2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Well I personally would belong to the church of the flying spaghetti monster.

That said, Many agnostics don't have any belief in god(how can they if they are unsure if said god even exists), Which is what atheist means quite literally.


So by definition most agnostics are atheist also, not necessarily because agnosticism can span so many forums though.
__________________
American Politics & Incremental loss of freedom
Republicans: War on drugs, Forcing religion down our throats.
Democrats: War on guns, Forcing Obamacare down our throats.

"A prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
T-Vizz the 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 PM #14
Dr.Phil.McGraw (Banned)
I am a doctor, seriously!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: at Harpo industrial chem
I go to synagogue, buhdist temple, and a catholic church randomly. I only go to church about 3 times a year, hit each one about 1nce a year.

I think that each individual religion has a good message.
almost like god broke his insight up and scattered it amongst abunch of religions that pad it with filler.
Dr.Phil.McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 PM #15
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems
 
Aaron5604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phil.McGraw View Post
I think that each individual religion has a good message.
As do I. I, just can't understand how it's all Gods work. I literally don't read into it like that
__________________
"Seeing Is Believing" and Ignorance is DEFINITELY bliss.

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 PM #16
Laureate
strength beyond strength
 
Laureate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
And who, exactly, is an agnostic?

Just because they claim to be one doesn't mean they actually are one. An agnostic who is "the same thing as an atheist" is not an agnostic at all and is poorly mistaken about his/her views on life.
No, you are right. I ****ed up saying it.
__________________
ST:F - Playin with the boys
Laureate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:40 PM #17
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phil.McGraw View Post
I go to synagogue, buhdist temple, and a catholic church randomly. I only go to church about 3 times a year, hit each one about 1nce a year.

I think that each individual religion has a good message.
almost like god broke his insight up and scattered it amongst abunch of religions that pad it with filler.
You really should check out Bahá’í if you have the chance. I went to collage with someone who practiced it. In extremely simplified terms you could call it "Protestant Muslim" but your last statement is actually quite similar to one of it's major beliefs.

I wish I had easy access to a synagogue and temple. Out here in the sticks you have your choice of two Catholic churches and your basic Protestant assortment. I've felt right at home at a Lutheran service, but quite out of place at a Baptist one. The non-denominational services are alright. Haven't checked out the big Methodist church yet, and the Jehovah's Witnesses kind of weird me out.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 PM #18
<-_->
Fine Asian Cuisine
 
<-_->'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron5604 View Post
I disagree, I think it's the other way around...
A fence sitter (or someone who's indecisive, 50/50) is still summed up as being a disbeliever, and therefore still considered to be an atheist.
Just because somebody doesn't believe in a wizard in the clouds doesn't mean they can't believe in any form of theological thought or deity. To claim someone who is still figuring out their beliefs as an atheist has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Somebody who is indecisive is indecisive, they can't be called or considered anything. (I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying that's a dumb thought and whoever came up with that, whether it was you or someone else is being incredibly one-sided)

That's like saying, "well Switzerland you're neutral all the time, so technically you're an enemy." No, they're just neutral.
__________________
Best corn in the county.

Last edited by <-_-> : 01-29-2010 at 06:57 PM.
<-_-> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:07 PM #19
_PBH_
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by <-_-> View Post
That's like saying, "well Switzerland you're neutral all the time, so technically you're an enemy." No, they're just neutral.
nice analogy
__________________
Not Not Ali Legend: I eat my own **** and masturbate to gay porn.

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅1̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅1̲̅)̲̅$̲̅l bill ya'lllllllll
_PBH_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 PM #20
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems
 
Aaron5604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by <-_-> View Post
Just because somebody doesn't believe in a wizard in the clouds doesn't mean they can't believe in any form of theological thought or deity. To claim someone who is still figuring out their beliefs as an atheist has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Then look at it this way...

How exactly can ANYTHING in life (physically) be considered EXACTLY 50/50? On any given spectrum, (for example) you're either going to be something along the lines of, 49.9999999999... or, 50.0000000000001... in favor. And, last time I checked, words (definitions) are all physical in nature, because man is physical, yes?

Using your war analogy:

Neutrality, (which is the same as 0 on an integer scale) is a term (or #) that doesn't perceive as applicable. Nothing, (until I learn other wise) always has something, whether that's basically a gazillionth of degree in either direction. Therefore, to say you're 100% "neutral" is really the same thing as you saying you're perfectly in place, which is of course illogical, being that nothing is perfectly in place, being that NOTHING is truly 100%.

Hence, the saying: "You're either w/ me, or you're against me!"
__________________
"Seeing Is Believing" and Ignorance is DEFINITELY bliss.

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.

Last edited by Aaron5604 : 01-29-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM #21
Later Gator
 
 
Later Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I also consider myself agnostic.

I believe that there isn't one set god, or gods, but rather everything is one. By that I mean that everything that exists is one entity.

Wait....what does that make me?
Later Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump