Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-09-2016, 10:29 PM #1
Njt11

Indian Creek Designs PRP Review

So I want to start by giving a little background on my self. I have been playing paintball since 1999 and have taken quite a few breaks from the game in those years. I have owned many markers from entry level to tournament level. Currently I own 4 markers an Alien Deception, Invasion, freestyle 8 and PRP. I wanted to take the time to do a review on this new product that does not have any feedback on it currently to help players. This is my first pump marker and I want to disclose that to everyone reading the review. I currently have it listed for sale because I have never really been into pump but I am contemplating keeping it because it really is pretty neat.

ICD CUSTOMER SERVICE

First I would like to say a little something about my first hand experience with ICD. Their customer service and friendly nature is second to none. The time they took with me to explain details on this marker and answer all of my questions and concerns was amazing. Gary answered my questions at all times of the day from 7 in the morning until 10 at night if I had them. I would give them an A++++ on this category.

Weight and feel

The marker feels good in your hands not too heavy not to light. I have a small tank 50/4500 that I wish was a bit longer to position the marker just right. I believe a 68/4500 would probably put the marker in the ideal shooting position. The marker fits me very well at 5'9" but I fear someone that is taller with longer arms would struggle to find this marker comfortable. The pump handle is not aluminum like the rest of the gun I was not aware of this before I received it. I had assumed it was aluminum like every other component on it but find no issues with the quality and find it quite comfortable. I give the marker an A in this category.

Marker Build/Design

I will start by saying that the build quality of this gun is good it feels extremely sturdy. I see one issue that I am told is common with nelson based markers is that the pump handle is loose without the barrel. I also find some issues with the milling on the marker by the feed-neck and barrel. I see some tooling marks which I am not used to seeing on some of their previous markers. The anodizing on the marker seems to be good quality. The tool less maintenance makes this marker easy to field strip and maintain. It literally takes 30 seconds to get the guts out. I would give the marker a B+ due to milling.The only issues are just the feed neck and barrel area everywhere else is great.

Grips

I absolutely love the grips on this gun both the design and feel of them. They are a really amazing feature and they clearly spent some time on them. I'd give them an A+

Barrel

The barrel on the marker is just pretty basic. It is a .689 bore and has some decent porting on it. The barrel also assists the pump handle to be more sturdy once installed. I installed my alien barrel and the pump handle did not seem to be as sturdy with that barrel installed. It appears there was a reason for the raised sections on the center of the stock barrel to help assist with keeping the pump handle sturdy. Me personally I would either have my neighbor who owns a machine shop make me a custom barrel or freak bore this one for me if I decide to keep it. I would give the barrel an B due to not being bit smaller bore size and it's shorter length.

Trigger and frame

This is one of my favorite features on the marker.The trigger on the gun is good. It has a nice feel and is fairly large (You could almost use two fingers to pull it).The frame itself is hinged at the front and has a set screw at the rear which allows for easy maintenance. I give it an A+ I love it.

Feed-neck

The feed-neck on the marker is one that ICD has been using for a long time. I personally wish it was a lever locking but it is not. It is adjustable with an allen wrench and holds my spire really well. It is a solid design and works just fine but it is not a lever style that's why I will give it a B+

On/Off ASA

Lever on/off gas through grip no macro lines its pretty sweet. The on/off is really easy and it does purge the gas when you open it. I give it an A+ it works great.

Shot Quality

I will not weigh in to much in this category as I only have a hopper through the marker in my back yard. The sound signature is pretty cool its not terribly loud either. It would seem to me that It was shooting pretty hot probably 300+ FPS. The kick was pretty minimal and the pump action is smooth but not as easy to pump as some other pumps I have played around with. I am not going to put a grade on this category until I have a chance to get out and use the marker for a whole day.

I would say the two biggest draw backs for me personally with this gun are the milling issues around the feed-neck area and the pump handle being loose without the barrel.I think for some people there may be better options out there at this price point but none that are as unique as the PRP and have a company with this much history standing behind it. Indian Creek designs is also an AMERICAN COMPANY with a true made in the USA product. If there are any other topics you guys might want me to touch on that I may have missed just post your questions and I will try to address them to the best of my abilities. Please forgive me if this review doesn't meet all of your expectations it is my first. Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope to help make your decision a little easier on the ICD PRP.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Njt11 : 03-09-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Njt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2016, 07:02 AM #2
colderthanever (Banned)

Annual Supporting Member
colderthanever is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
colderthanever supports Ninja Paintball
colderthanever supports Empire
colderthanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:21 PM #3
StagPhotographic
Pro paintball photography

StagPhotographic is a Paintball photographer
I'm on the hook for a PRP, but haven't heard what they cost yet. What did you pay?

-Chuck Close

PM me for free stickers!
StagPhotographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:51 PM #4
Njt11

Njt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 PM #5
ppsh00ter
Trash Pandas

ppsh00ter has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njt11 View Post
Thank you.
I thought it was a very detailed, and informative review

ppsh00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 AM #6
FreakinJB

has been a member for 10 years
Awesome - mine's in the mail and the only part I can comment on and completely agree with is how helpful and accessible Gary @ ICD has been throughout the process.

I'm a little concerned about the barrel as well as I have a Lapco Bigshot I was hoping to use primarily with some ultralites, deadlywinds and classic freaks that I usually rotate out. Regardless, we'll see and I can't wait to get some paint through it once it arrives!
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:19 PM #7
FreakinJB

So I got mine in the mail today and agree entirely with your review.

With many positives listed above, I am disappointed with how the entire pump handle relies on a properly-sized (outer diameter) barrel to operate smoothly. I really hope ICD develops some sort of undercocking kit to take care of the issue and allow me to use something like a Deadlywinds barrel with a smaller outer diameter.

No tooling marks near the feedneck on mine but the pinhole where the front of the trigger frame permanently connects with the body looks a little sloppy. Not thrilled at that for $500, either.

Overall pretty happy with the gun, we'll have to see how it shoots before I decide whether I love it or just like it.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 PM #8
FreakinJB

I finally got to the field this weekend to play a full day with my PRP.

Pros
- No air line is a great design feature. Looks great, lots of people curious what I was shooting.
- Shot with an all-american freak and freak-bored Lapco Big Shot with an Apex 2. Decent sound signature and had no breach or barrel breaks using mediocre field paint.
- ASA is designed well and I didn't experience issues eating o-rings, leaking, etc.
- Felt very sturdy and reliable. I expect this thing will stand the test of time and require very little maintenance due to inherent fail-proofing in the design.
- Feed neck tightens well and is as good as any aftermarket consideration.
- You're dealing with a great company that's friendly, US-based and spending time making paintball products.

Cons
- Double feeding and balls rolling out of the barrel. The thing with cocker detents is that they were designed to apply pressure to keep a .689 ball in place. Paint companies are reducing the size of paint to save money these days and paint was rolling through my .679 insert. Using modern paint and anything other than a .674 insert, paint will roll out of the barrel. A rubber detent would have been preferable but this isn't a PRP-unique issue.
- The safety doesn't seat or operate well and is just a general hassle. I'll be removing it before my next use.
- Trigger sear and pump action are a little rough - it feels like there's sand in the sear, even compared to my old ACI Maverick.
- Price point. It's clear a lot of design R&D went into this and that's what you're paying for. The finish is not very impressive and you can do a lot more with $500 if you want.
- Aluminum internals; SS where possible would have been nice.

Overall happy with my purchase and happy with ICD. If you're not on a budget and keep in mind you're not going to have the smoothest operating pump on the planet, you'll be happy.