Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-13-2016, 04:38 PM #1
dapaintballfreak7

Exclamation Angel A4 battery won't charge! Need it by this weekend!

Hey all,

So, I just had my gun tuned and set up and ready to go, but I guess I haven't had my gun "On" for a while, but the battery doesn't look like it's charging. It's the stock angel battery when I bought it in 2004 or 2005, so I'm probably due for one. Does anyone know where to find new Angel A4 batteries? Or newer Angel A4 batteries? I really want to play this weekend, so I'd appreciate if anyone knows. Thanks all!
dapaintballfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2016, 07:01 PM #2
Carapace
+KA-B00M+

Carapace is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Carapace supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapaintballfreak7 View Post
Hey all,

So, I just had my gun tuned and set up and ready to go, but I guess I haven't had my gun "On" for a while, but the battery doesn't look like it's charging. It's the stock angel battery when I bought it in 2004 or 2005, so I'm probably due for one. Does anyone know where to find new Angel A4 batteries? Or newer Angel A4 batteries? I really want to play this weekend, so I'd appreciate if anyone knows. Thanks all!
You can do the CR-123(?) Battery mod, which uses disposables instead of the rechargeable...
Old 09-13-2016, 10:45 PM #3
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

If you're in a rush, look for a local RC shop or a Batteries Plus. Take in your old battery and they can build you a new one for around $50. Your replacement will use 4 2/3A cells. I'd recommend shooting for 900 mAh minimum cells if they have them available. The higher the mAh the better, but higher mAh cells also cost more.

Before you spend the money on a new battery though, you might want to do a little troubleshooting and see if you can get your battery charged. Make sure all of your wiring connections are intact (no wires pinched between the body of the gun and the grip frame, no wires pulled off of the toggle switch). Make sure the red power indicator light on your charger turns on - if it does not, unscrew the plug and check the fuse. Make sure that your on/off switch is in the "on" position when charging - if it is in the off position, the gun will not charge and the LCD display will read "PWR ON".

To make sure the problem is the battery and not the board, you may wish to build yourself a quick DIY test battery using AA cells. You can pick up a 4 AA battery holder at your local Radio Shack/hobby shop, then splice that into your battery connector and plug your test battery into the board. If the board powers up and functions normally, then the problem is the battery. If the board does not power up normally with your DIY test battery, then the problem may be something else.

Last edited by dr.strangelove : 09-13-2016 at 10:48 PM.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:43 AM #4
Nonesuch Mafia 1
Ballbreaker

Nonesuch Mafia 1 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Nonesuch Mafia 1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Nonesuch Mafia 1 supports Ninja Paintball
Batteries plus is cheaper than $50 here I had three batteries built by them for my G7 flies and it cost me $10 for the first one $18 for the second and $9 for the third. The second one was really tight in the tube and I made sure I told them that it was going inside a tube the last time so it fit better like the first one they built me. I just took the old one in and they rebuilt it and attached my plug back to the new battery.
Angel G7 Fly Ice / Blue Fade
Angel G7 Fly Black/Graphite Fade
Angel A1 SB
Angel A1 Black/Blue Fade

Bob Long Ripper 2
Nonesuch Mafia 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:06 PM #5
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Wow, that's really cheap. Definitely worth a look
Old 09-17-2016, 08:34 PM #6
dapaintballfreak7

-

Thanks for the tips guys.

So, when the gun is on the charger and charging, the lcd screen is lit up and showing me Safe, or Live.. But when I unplug from my car charger, the lcd screen loses power and goes blank. So, I went to Hobbytown USA and had them rebuild my battery (because I was desperate to play this weekend). So, I had him rebuild it with the batteries you guys were talking about. I've posted a pic below of the ones he used and reattached the wires back on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6322(1).JPG (141.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by dapaintballfreak7 : 09-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:51 AM #7
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Those are the right cells, although the plug looks different and the wire gauge looks thicker. Make sure it will fit in your battery tube.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:25 AM #8
dapaintballfreak7

-

Right, that's the battery he put in in gun that is already in there (The battery was a 2-pack, and he only used half of the cell. I think it was an RC car battery). The original wires and connector plugs were put back on the new battery and it's in my gun right now.. Like I said above, still no luck charging it though, so I have no idea what to do now..

It's so weird that when plugged into the charger in my car, I can access the modes and everything, but when I unplug it from the power, everything goes blank.. Any ideas on what I could try before I send it to get it looked at?

Last edited by dapaintballfreak7 : 09-18-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:07 PM #9
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

You might want to double check all your wiring connections (I know the guy at the battery place just rebuilt it, but they may have missed something). If you have a multi-meter, see if you can detect any voltage from the battery. If so, check the continuity of your toggle switch - it may be bad. I once had those same symptoms and spent a lot of hours chasing down possibilities before I finally thought to check the switch.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:16 AM #10
dapaintballfreak7

-

Ok, I'll see if I can have it tested with the volt meter that I have, and also check the toggle switch connectivity. Thanks again.