Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM #1
Bob el Terrible

Angel A4 Fly - trigger stick? bolt stick?

Howdy, all. Played back in high school (graduated 06) and at that time angels were the guns we dreamed of having, so needless to say when I say this fly on ebay a couple years ago for $125, I snatched that puppy up.

Sadly the first time I used it was last weekend to make sure it works for this weekend (bachelor party) ---any way, testing it out it seemed to shoot ok. I shot some old field paint I had left over from a while back and the first couple shots were fine, then the when I pulled the trigger again, it did this kind of hissing sound, not so much like a leak, but like the trigger was sticking. It would do this for about 1-2 seconds and then it sounds like the trigger "clicks" back to where i can shoot again. Im describing this as best as I can and I fould a paintball video labeled "Angel Fail" on youtube and it was this exact problem, the caption under the video said, "Bolt stuck forward on my Angel. After this day of play, I pressure tested the Angel and realized the LPR was sitting at 58psi, WAAAAAAAAAAY too low for a poppet gun"

So looking at the manual at the LPR maintenance section, it said it needs to be at 83 with the HP tank at 350 (I think?); however when I tried to disassemble to add/subtract discs (per manual each shim is 5psi) there was only 1 shim in there. I know whoever had the marker prior to me wasn't running it like this...at least I hope. Am I missing something? I ran out of pant, then did tried adjusting the trigger offset and dwell. I put it in demo mode to see if this fixed the problem and though I didn't have the same issue, it seemed I was experiencing trigger bounce as sometimes I would pull a couple times and 5 rounds would go off. I think I can fix the ladder issue, but what about this LPR nonsense? Anyone had this issue? Sorry for the long description, but I really want this thing to work. Thanks in advance!
Bob el Terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM #2
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

has been a member for 10 years
The video you saw was a very old one from Mike Phillips with an A1 Angel, and he was very badly mistaken about his diagnosis (for example, 58 psi is actually the Master Tech recommended ideal LPR pressure for the A1 series guns). Eventually he posted a thread at the old AngelOwners.com forums and we were able to help him out. So anyway, disregard that nonsense. Mike was (and is) an idiot, for one, has no familiarity with Angels for two, and the A1 series guns have a design that makes them more susceptible to bolt stick than your A4 Fly.

With that out of the way, the LPR pressure recommended in the A4 Fly manual is substantially higher than it needs to be. 65-70 psi is the range you would like to be in. Here's the kicker though: there is no way of knowing your LPR pressure without using the gauge tool to check it. The fact that your LPR only has one pressure adjustment shim means essentially nothing. It varies considerably by gun, such that one might require only 1 adjustment shim, and another might require 10 adjustment shims to reach the exact same pressure. So don't guess.

Onto the problem you're experiencing: low LPR pressure could be a culprit. You should also check that your breech and bolt are clean and clear of any debris that might be catching on the bolt. One good way to check whether the bolt itself is sticking or the ram is sticking is to open the rotobreech, remove the bolt, hold the rotobreech securely, and fire the gun while looking down into the bolt pin slot (use hearing protection as this will be very loud). The hammer should come forward and then retract smoothly and without sticking. If the ram itself is sticking, the problem is either with the ram itself or possibly LPR pressure. If the ram cycles normally with the bolt removed, any sticking is more likely to be caused by something in the breech/bolt tube.

You also mentioned that in demo mode you "didn't have the same issue". If by that you mean that there isn't any sticking while firing in demo mode, then the problem may not even be mechanical at all.

Separately, the reason for the trigger bounce is that you adjusted your TR setting. A higher trigger offset mimics mechanical trigger bounce. Turn it down and that will go away.

Last edited by dr.strangelove : Yesterday at 08:03 PM.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM #3
Bob el Terrible

Thank you for the time, doc! I'll try this tomorrow and post an update! Much appreciated.
Bob el Terrible is offline   Reply With Quote