PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 PM #1
alex_97850

alex_97850 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
alex_97850 supports Team VICIOUS
Paintball Change 2010

What are you hoping to see change in paintball this year?

What do you plan to see go down this year?

Myself hope to see the sport grow beyond any proportion.

the bad: fear of smart parts closing....
alex_97850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 PM #2
Linux_Box

I think lots of peeps will have to drop off their playing down. People moving out of tournament play to more rec/woodball to save money as well. I'm hoping I'm wrong though.
Linux_Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 PM #3
Angel_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux_Box View Post
People moving out of tournament play to more rec/woodball to save money as well. I'm hoping I'm wrong though.
Actually I noticed there's been more woodsball tournies showing up..... I guess they're trying to get back to the roots of PB..... I'll be playing speedball in the woods.

Hoping the numbers go up for more players as america come back.
Angel_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:14 PM #4
PAPA_SMURF1

SP closing is a bad deal for all of us. i hope that my team gets at least a top 3finish, aslo we get more involvement from none PB companies such as coca cola or microsoft would be amazing.
PAPA_SMURF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 PM #5
alex_97850

alex_97850 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
alex_97850 supports Team VICIOUS
yeah it would
alex_97850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM #6
Kiladelphia
Hatin' since 1979

I've been inconsistently playing tournament ball since 1999, as life and finances would allow. As the markers have become more advanced, I've seen a decline in actual team strategy. Most games now are determined by which team has the better skill set. Who can shoot the most paint, who can run the fastest, who can make the snake 50 off the break. These are skills, not strategy.

I'm not saying that any of these things are bad or wrong, I'm just wondering if the strategic element of tournament paintball that was so prevalent in the late 1990s and early 2000s would come back if some changes were made. I don't know what those changes are... just trying to raise a point. I'd like to see a better blend of athleticism and strategy in 2010.
Kiladelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM #7
Texas_pump

[quote=Kiladelphia;64222677]I've been inconsistently playing tournament ball since 1999, as life and finances would allow. As the markers have become more advanced, I've seen a decline in actual team strategy. Most games now are determined by which team has the better skill set. Who can shoot the most paint, who can run the fastest, who can make the snake 50 off the break. These are skills, not strategy.QUOTE]

Thats why I like the 50 round paint limit for many pump tourneys. You have to play with strategy, and skill.
Texas_pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM #8
Kiladelphia
Hatin' since 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_pump View Post
Thats why I like the 50 round paint limit for many pump tourneys. You have to play with strategy, and skill.
Never played in a pump tourney. Haven't used a pump since 1994. But it sounds like a fun thing to try.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 PM #9
rivrfreak
Percision is Power

rivrfreak plays in the PSP
rivrfreak is playing at Living Legends V
rivrfreak supports Team VICIOUS
rivrfreak supports Bob Gurnsey
rivrfreak supports our troops
rivrfreak plays in the APPA D4 division
I agree with you "Kiladelphia" in both of your posts.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM #10
PoisonOfDecember

PoisonOfDecember plays in the PSP
PoisonOfDecember plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiladelphia View Post
I've been inconsistently playing tournament ball since 1999, as life and finances would allow. As the markers have become more advanced, I've seen a decline in actual team strategy. Most games now are determined by which team has the better skill set. Who can shoot the most paint, who can run the fastest, who can make the snake 50 off the break. These are skills, not strategy.

I'm not saying that any of these things are bad or wrong, I'm just wondering if the strategic element of tournament paintball that was so prevalent in the late 1990s and early 2000s would come back if some changes were made. I don't know what those changes are... just trying to raise a point. I'd like to see a better blend of athleticism and strategy in 2010.
I'm not going to say you are wrong, but you also have to take a look at tournament play from the perspective that the field layouts are released prior to the tournament happening now. This gives more of the impression that the "skills" you are talking about seem to purely dominate the game, while it also has a lot to do with practicing the layout of the field. A team that has been breaking down and practicing a field for X number of weeks, if doing it correctly, should do better then say a team that hasn't played the field. Strategy to me seems more apparent as teams have time to prepare.

Also with almost all leagues having a ROF cap, the team that can "shoot the most paint" isn't always going to be the winner. I have seen in many cases that a team that knows the field will shoot far less paint in a point/game than a team that doesn't know the field, while still winning.

This is just my outlook on it though.

Changes I would like to see for 2010 have been done, but I would also like to see PSP bring back penalty boxes.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 PM #11
igotblueballs93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiladelphia View Post

I'll start off by saying that I don't have nearly as much experience as you do, so this is mostly speculation. But I think the change or blend between skills and strategy will come from the winning teams. If a team or teams that emphasize strategy can consistently beat teams that emphasize skills, then other teams looking to improve will follow that model.
igotblueballs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 PM #12
PoisonOfDecember

PoisonOfDecember plays in the PSP
PoisonOfDecember plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotblueballs93 View Post
I'll start off by saying that I don't have nearly as much experience as you do, so this is mostly speculation. But I think the change or blend between skills and strategy will come from the winning teams. If a team or teams that emphasize strategy can consistently beat teams that emphasize skills, then other teams looking to improve will follow that model.
I will agree with you here, the winning model will always be the most favored model.

Another thing to keep in mind that a team that has more skill in its players will also be able to pull off the proposed strategy on the field more often.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM #13
funshineballer
you turtle tickler you

I would like to see like a 15 pod limit for an xball point/ match or whatever you would call them, for each team. So like the back player can have 7 pods and the front guy like 1 and the rest have the remaining 7 pods. Xball gets boring, you get to your bunker then shoot your lane. There needs to be a little more strategy. With this new rule on only 15 pods per round, it would allow a lot more teams to join tournaments. Teams wouldn't have to buy as much paint. I think it would be cool because there would be a million ways that teams could play this out. A back guy gets 5 pods then another back guy gets 3 then another mid guy gets 3 and another mid guy gets 3 then the front guy get 1. This would allow more movement and better accuracy skills.
I would also love to see the sport grown more too. Lets hope for the best in 2010. thanks
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball 4 life..

Last edited by funshineballer : 03-10-2010 at 12:51 AM.
funshineballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 AM #14
jamest91

jamest91 helped look for balloons
jamest91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jamest91 is for the Gunfight
jamest91 supports Sherwood Forest
I... being a college player, would like to see some more ncpa tournaments available on the west coast. we've only played 1
Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 AM #15
Kiladelphia
Hatin' since 1979

My wife and I are moving to New Zealand at the end of this month so I've been getting familiar with their tournament style of play and general event infrastructure.

Two things that they do is pretty cool:
[1] The country has a limit set that all paintball markers have to be in semi only modes.
[2] The lower divisions of tournament players have a 12 pod limit per 5-man team per game.

I'm excited to see what this'll do for my style of play and knowledge of of the game. I'm not saying that this is something that paintball needs to adopt, but its an interesting take on the tournament scene. I also think that Germany has some pretty restrictive marker laws, from what I've heard... anyone care to elaborate?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 AM #16
Kiladelphia
Hatin' since 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonOfDecember View Post
I'm not going to say you are wrong, but you also have to take a look at tournament play from the perspective that the field layouts are released prior to the tournament happening now. This gives more of the impression that the "skills" you are talking about seem to purely dominate the game, while it also has a lot to do with practicing the layout of the field. A team that has been breaking down and practicing a field for X number of weeks, if doing it correctly, should do better then say a team that hasn't played the field. Strategy to me seems more apparent as teams have time to prepare.

Also with almost all leagues having a ROF cap, the team that can "shoot the most paint" isn't always going to be the winner. I have seen in many cases that a team that knows the field will shoot far less paint in a point/game than a team that doesn't know the field, while still winning.
You make a good point about the field layouts. Unfortunately I've never played for a team that had the means to practice on the exact field we'd be competing on. I could see how important that would be at tournaments including and beyond the regional level, though. Cool stuff.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM #17
Bushman420
flyin high

I want it to be has big has it was when I first started getting into tournament paintball which was from 2002-2007
Bushman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM #18
Evas1on PB
The Usual Suspect

Evas1on PB is playing at Living Legends III
Evas1on PB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Evas1on PB supports Team VICIOUS
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman420 View Post
I want it to be has big has it was when I first started getting into tournament paintball which was from 2002-2007
Cheers :]
Evas1on PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 AM #19
Mbock

I think tourney paintball at the pro level is doing great! I think it's the local/beginner level of play that has lost the most. I'd like to see people play with a little class. I never would have played tourneys at all if players acted like they do now. What happened to that brotherhood of the more experienced guys taking the lead and showing the new guys the ropes. It seems like now the only "ropes" newbies get to see are the ones aimed at their heads. That's no fun and certainly doesn't help grow the sport. Just something to think about I guess.
Mbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 PM #20
proto06

i want to see them go back to uncapped semi...im tired of all this camped ramping stuff...anyone can hold the trigger down an keep throwing pods of paint into a hopper were as in a firefight back when i started playing you had to either be a good snap shooter or be able to throw more paint then the other..
Danny Tiljack Fan Club member #14
Max Lundquist Fan Club membver #66
Matty Marshall fan club member #66
proto06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM #21
Logan09

Logan09 supports Team VICIOUS
It's not like you can just hold the trigger down and keep shooting, you're still doing work.
Logan09 is offline   Reply With Quote