PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM #1
killswitch45

has been a member for 10 years
Impulse out of storage- from 2007

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for taking time to read this thread, and if you're going to reply with advice, thank you (again).

I have not paintballed since 2007, and I am currently getting my HPA tank re-certified and want to get my Impulse out of storage. I have questions about maintenance and what is needed before I go play.

Let's start with this...the marker....

2004 Impulse w/ I frame
CP shorty Regulator
Smart Parts LPR
Black Heart Board
New Designz RIP Valve
ND Ram
ND Bolt and Pin

I used the smart parts shocker lube/grease when I used to take it apart and maintain it. My first and main question is...do I need to go back in there and lube up the valve, ram assembly, bolt, CP reg, LPR, solenoid...etc? Lube doesnt dry up or evaporate does it? The guns has not been in use since 07.

From what I can remember, I had a local tech service the gun in 2007. The CP reg dial should be around 150 when I gas it up; I have a dial on the back by the hammer and it should read 100 for the LPR. He set the Blackheart board dwell in line with those pressures in order for me to be shooting under 300 FPS or 280/260 FPS (whatever my local field limit is, cannot remember).

I am really excited to get my impy out of the attic, on a towel, grab my manual, and take it all apart if needed. I can easily lube the RIP Valve and ND Hammer. I am more worried about servicing the solenoid, LPR and CP reg if those will be needed.

If you have read this and take time to supply advice, I greatly appreciate your efforts.
killswitch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2015, 03:54 PM #2
RhosgobelRabbits

The LPR and CP reg are fairly easy to service. If you are not comfortable with solenoid, I would not attempt it. I would relube everything in the gun and swap out the orings for new ones. I have 2 impulses as loner guns that I have never serviced the noids on and they are still going strong.
RhosgobelRabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:24 PM #3
StreetfighterX
Don't mess with an Imp

StreetfighterX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I would personally recommend doing a full cleaning. Dust, dirt, and paint can get in the smallest spaces on Imps and if you're gonna clean most of it, you might as well go the entire distance. Lube doesn't evaporate, but it does start to gum up. You will probably need a few new o-rings too and might as well get a full kit. I would recommend O-ring Monkey or O-ring City on ebay.

There is plenty of great information on Impulse maintenance on impulse-owners.com, zdspb.com, and PI Paintball's youtube channel. If you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me.

You've got a nice list of upgrades there, once you get it up and gunning it should be a great marker. Post some pics when you get a chance!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:11 AM #4
killswitch45

Thank you for your replies and taking the time to help a fellow Impulse owner.

I will try to dig up some info on the LPR and diagrams. I personally never lubed that or did o-ring changes.

There is a CP diagram on I-O website and that seems very helpful. ANS Gear has a CP o-ring kit so I will snag that up.

Lube- do I need new lube? I have an older white tube of the Smart Parts Shocker grease/lube. Does that go bad if its been sealed and closed, but sitting since like 2006? Do I need to buy new, fresh lube? If so, what do you use for your Impulse?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:43 AM #5
StreetfighterX
Don't mess with an Imp

The only o-rings that would need changing or lubing are the ones on the tapeworm part of the lpr. You don't need to disassemble the lpr body at all.

About the lube, I'm not really sure if it goes bad over time. Any Dow 33 works. Just call your local pro shop or order it online.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM #6
killswitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetfighterX View Post
The only o-rings that would need changing or lubing are the ones on the tapeworm part of the lpr. You don't need to disassemble the lpr body at all.

About the lube, I'm not really sure if it goes bad over time. Any Dow 33 works. Just call your local pro shop or order it online.
I ordered an Impulse o-ring kit, and a CP regulator o-ring kit.

It seems it would be in my best interest to replace the hammer set up o rings, the rip valve o rings, and the CP reg o rings. I also ordered GOG gun lube since ANS gear informed me GOG bought out smart parts.

Since the original impulse did not have a LPR, would the Impulse o ring kit even have o rings for an LPR?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 PM #7
StreetfighterX
Don't mess with an Imp

It might depending on the kit. Tapeworms came on some impulses so it might include those 2.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:03 AM #8
ryd0g

The Iframe is worth some money. I sold mine without a board for $75.00
ryd0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:21 AM #9
killswitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryd0g View Post
The Iframe is worth some money. I sold mine without a board for $75.00
I am sure it is. I remember years ago reading that the company suffered damages due to a factory fire and could not recover. However, with all the time and money I put into this marker, it will never be sold.

All of the ND parts are blue and got a custom silver anno job and milling to lighten it up. The only thing stock on this gun is the solenoid. This was my love in high school and I will probably always keep it.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 AM #10
StreetfighterX
Don't mess with an Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch45 View Post
I am sure it is. I remember years ago reading that the company suffered damages due to a factory fire and could not recover. However, with all the time and money I put into this marker, it will never be sold.

All of the ND parts are blue and got a custom silver anno job and milling to lighten it up. The only thing stock on this gun is the solenoid. This was my love in high school and I will probably always keep it.
Amen! They are great markers and can keep up with new $1000 guns. Sure they take some work to maintain and time to tune, but that is what gives them character, and that you could customize them a million different ways.

I laugh when I play at my local field I'll get props from guys in chigos and renegades, and the 16 year old refs will ask "is that an ion?"
Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 PM #11
killswitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetfighterX View Post
Amen! They are great markers and can keep up with new $1000 guns. Sure they take some work to maintain and time to tune, but that is what gives them character, and that you could customize them a million different ways.

I laugh when I play at my local field I'll get props from guys in chigos and renegades, and the 16 year old refs will ask "is that an ion?"

speaking of tuning, i found this paper from when i had it serviced in Aug of 2007. To shoot at 285fps...the numbers are surprisingly low.

CP reg should be in the 120s
LPR in the 90s
Dwell at 4ms

They clearly are not ions
Old 05-11-2015, 10:48 PM #12
killswitch45

I will get pictures as soon as i can!! Is there an easy way to post them here without using a website?