PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 AM #22
FL07
On High Alert

1. There are plenty of people advocating for a switch

2. If teams have the same record, strength of schedule would be used to determine who gets in. It works in the basketball tourney.

3. If you don't think there is more money in the playoff system, I think you're crazy. You have to understand where the revenue comes from, not where it goes. Once you get your mind around where it comes from and why it's there, it should be obvious to you that there would be more revenue in a playoff system.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 AM #23
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL07 View Post
1. There are plenty of people advocating for a switch

2. If teams have the same record, strength of schedule would be used to determine who gets in. It works in the basketball tourney.

3. If you don't think there is more money in the playoff system, I think you're crazy. You have to understand where the revenue comes from, not where it goes. Once you get your mind around where it comes from and why it's there, it should be obvious to you that there would be more revenue in a playoff system.
One of the main reasons it works in the basketball tournament is because teams play a whole lot more games and as a result, often have vastly different schedules. That way, you have a lot more variables that work in calculating RPI. Moreover, because you play so many games, just about everyone plays at least a few consensus tough games. That's not always the case in college football.

Two loss Oregon had the #6 schedule.
Two loss Iowa had the #9 schedule.

Iowa fans aren't going to be pissed if Oregon gets in over them in an eight team format?

Furthermore, Boise State, while undefeated, had the #77 schedule. Iowa, with two losses, had the #9 schedule.

Should Boise get in over Iowa because they played much weaker competition?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 AM #24
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

And you guys wish your teams could do sweet videos:

Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM #25
BigfootWookie
Bye Bye Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brad. View Post

I don't get why ABC cut out from the game as soon as the whistle blew. I guarantee if the SEC won, they would have showed the award ceremony
They always cut away to show the Rose Bowl. USC has been in the Rose Bowl quite a bit recently, and I can tell you that ABC always cuts away immediately after the Capital One bowl. They've gotta have airtime for all 30 inspirational pre-Rose Bowl videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
I love how he compares him unfavorably with Belichick - maybe the best coach in all of football - but also advocates guys like Pete Carroll, who are probably cheating.
Oh good call, between Belichick and Carroll, Carroll is the cheater?

Mr. Cartmenez here could teach you a lesson.

EDIT: Also, 2 more points:
1. He talks about Carroll in terms of being a jovial guy. He is. No debate about that.
2. It's Bill ****ing Plashke. He's a hack and everyone knows it. I dont think I've ever taken one of the slam pieces he's written about USC or another team seriously.

"I can't hit them anymore but God knows that I want to. More than awakening tomorrow morning, I want another shot at a Notre Dame football player. Just so I could send the clear message that The University of Southern California's Football Team is in town and that today will end in Pain for you and your team and your fans and your school. That USC is here and we're taking everything you have. There won't be anything left when we're done here."
-Marv Goux, USC Legend

Last edited by BigfootWookie : 01-03-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 AM #26
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootWookie View Post
Oh good call, between Belichick and Carroll, Carroll is the cheater?

Mr. Cartmenez here could teach you a lesson.
That was part of the point I was making. How can you hate great coaches like Belichick for cheating when "nice guys" like Carroll are also cheating?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 AM #27
FL07
On High Alert

Quote:
One of the main reasons it works in the basketball tournament is because teams play a whole lot more games and as a result, often have vastly different schedules. That way, you have a lot more variables that work in calculating RPI. Moreover, because you play so many games, just about everyone plays at least a few consensus tough games. That's not always the case in college football.

Two loss Oregon had the #6 schedule.
Two loss Iowa had the #9 schedule.

Iowa fans aren't going to be pissed if Oregon gets in over them in an eight team format?

Furthermore, Boise State, while undefeated, had the #77 schedule. Iowa, with two losses, had the #9 schedule.

Should Boise get in over Iowa because they played much weaker competition?
Boise should get in over Iowa. Also, my format would have more than 8 teams. There'd be more room. As I said previously, these questions of who gets in and who doesn't are already asked. Currently only two teams can get a shot. In my format 32 teams get a shot. Those arguing about not getting in now have such a minor argument because if you were not impressive enough to make a 32 team cut you don't have a legitimate gripe.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM #28
Ninja Mouse
DAT JAWLINE DOE

Kolder, CCs isnt anywhere near the gay of Starbucks.

Team Aircraft Carrier
"Originally posted by PballPlayer™: I came home on my break to find this. I'm never going to say anything bad about the Saints again. Ninja is a god. It was bigger than I expected (twss) so I'm sure it was pricey, thanks Ninja, you are too kind."
Sauce
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM #29
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Boise should get in over Iowa. Also, my format would have more than 8 teams. There'd be more room. As I said previously, these questions of who gets in and who doesn't are already asked. Currently only two teams can get a shot. In my format 32 teams get a shot. Those arguing about not getting in now have such a minor argument because if you were not impressive enough to make a 32 team cut you don't have a legitimate gripe.
A 32 team format is not going to happen. Period. There's no point in even bothering to discuss it seriously because it's totally unrealistic.

An 8 team format, however, is much more likely to unfold.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM #30
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
You could not be more wrong. The SOLE reason there is no play off in Div 1A college football is because it would bring in less money. Make no mistake about it. If the people that control college football thought there was more money in a playoff, we'd have one tomorrow.

And this isn't even a debatable issue. It's a pretty well known and accepted fact in the world of college football. I did several articles on it when I was a sports writer and editor. I interviewed coaches, ADs, University Presidents one member of a bowl committee and an NCAA representative.

Not only would a play off garner less money than the current bowl system, it would also mean less money during the regular season for most teams. Consider this. Currently every team plays a 12 game regular season. Some teams play a 13th game if they make their conference championship.

To have a play off, most everyone agrees we'd have to do away with the Conference Championship games and reduce the regular season to 10 games.

Lets say we take 8 teams for the playoffs. That means 8 teams will play at least 11 games. 4 teams will play 12 games. 2 teams will play 13 games. But the other 115 teams in Div 1A will lose 2 games. That's lost revenue for those teams... all 115 of them. And for what? So that 8 teams can get more money?

And this will hurt the smaller schools much more than the bigger schools. Big Schools get big pay offs in their conference games. They don't really need the extra games to bring in extra money. But small schools rely on those extra games to schedule their "paycheck" games against big schools. Fewer games means less opportunity for them.

And remember... what I'm telling you came directly from the people that run college football. The NCAA is a member run institution. Anything that changes in college football has to be voted on by the college presidents. THERE IS NO WAY that the majority of schools are going to vote for something that takes money out of their pockets to benefit a few schools.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Last edited by tonybhall : 01-03-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM #31
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

God Dammit, Tony. People are going to know we're the same person if we don't start hiding it better. You're even using the same language.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:01 PM #32
FL07
On High Alert

I see a one month dead period that could be filled with the playoff. The kids are on break anyway, so having extra practices is no big deal.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:01 PM #33
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

But just to clarify on the fairness aspect of these playoff discussions - playoffs are beneficial for national title contenders, especially ones like Cincy, TCU, and Boise, because the games are settled on the field. However, they are not beneficial for the average team because they stand to lose a lot of money on them.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 PM #34
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
I see a one month dead period that could be filled with the playoff. The kids are on break anyway, so having extra practices is no big deal.
You keep forgetting the fact that these are student-athletes. Not professionals. You can't have them using their entire breaks on football because of NCAA restrictions. Remember, the NCAA only allows teams to have a certain amount of practices each year. For bowl games, you get fifteen practices. In order to accommodate all these additional games, you need to have a lot more practices. The NCAA, however, as an institution that wants to protect the student aspect of student-athletes, probably won't allow this.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 PM #35
IchBinKaseBrot
Oscar Whiskey

IchBinKaseBrot is a Supporting Member
Quote:
thus making him awesome. Who doesn't want their coach to be serious business?
Since when did Ohio-ans have southern accents?

Auburn Tigers
Portsmouth FC

Collegeandmagnolia.com - Corner of Auburn & the Internet
لا يوجد سلام على أبواب
Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 PM #36
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
While that is a minor issue with playoffs, it doesn't matter. Nothing else matters till you get the money right. Every other discussion about practices, timing, logistics, students, how many teams, who gets in... All pointless as long as you don't address the money issue that I brought up in my previous post.

How do you get 120+ college presidents to vote on something that makes more money for 8 or 16 schools while causing the other 100+ schools to lose money? (see my previous post. I know it was long. Sorry.).

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 PM #37
FL07
On High Alert

the way I see it 32 teams lose money. Those are the ones that would be playing in a meaningless bowl and get money, but now don't.

Get better, you don't deserve a big paycheck for no reason. For the teams that are in the playoff the same is now much bigger. Like Texas Tech and Michigan State played in a meaningless bowl last night. Now you have each of them in a first round playoff against an Alabama or a Texas or a Florida the revenue for that game goes way up.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 PM #38
FL07
On High Alert

Quote:
You keep forgetting the fact that these are student-athletes. Not professionals. You can't have them using their entire breaks on football because of NCAA restrictions. Remember, the NCAA only allows teams to have a certain amount of practices each year. For bowl games, you get fifteen practices. In order to accommodate all these additional games, you need to have a lot more practices. The NCAA, however, as an institution that wants to protect the student aspect of student-athletes, probably won't allow this.
Like I said, they are on break anyway, you're not taking away "study time."
Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 PM #39
FL07
On High Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
While that is a minor issue with playoffs, it doesn't matter. Nothing else matters till you get the money right. Every other discussion about practices, timing, logistics, students, how many teams, who gets in... All pointless as long as you don't address the money issue that I brought up in my previous post.

How do you get 120+ college presidents to vote on something that makes more money for 8 or 16 schools while causing the other 100+ schools to lose money? (see my previous post).
revenue sharing.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 PM #40
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchBinKaseBrot View Post
Since when did Ohio-ans have southern accents?
Saban is from West Virginia.

Quote:
the way I see it 32 teams lose money. Those are the ones that would be playing in a meaningless bowl and get money, but now don't.

Get better, you don't deserve a big paycheck for no reason. For the teams that are in the playoff the same is now much bigger. Like Texas Tech and Michigan State played in a meaningless bowl last night. Now you have each of them in a first round playoff against an Alabama or a Texas or a Florida the revenue for that game goes way up.
Michigan State and Texas Tech are not going to have the records to be in the playoffs, unless you take average teams.

And no, bowl games yield close to half a billion dollars in revenue and that sum grows each year. You're really underestimating how much money bowls produce.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM #41
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Like I said, they are on break anyway, you're not taking away "study time."
No. But you are taking away from "family time." That is going to be a huge issue. Think about it - we just had a successful coach fired without much of an investigation because he allegedly used old school methods on a kid and you think there is going to be overwhelming support for a system that won't allow kids to spend much time at all with their families for the holidays?

Quote:
revenue sharing.
That's a really blanket response.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:11 PM #42
FL07
On High Alert

No, I'm not underestimating it. You're underestimating how much money a playoff would produce.
Closed Thread