Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 03:10 AM #1
Kolder
The Commish
 
Kolder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
NCAA Football 09/10 v Playoffs? Playoffs?!

It's bowl season.
__________________
Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Kolder is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2010, 03:14 AM #2
Nips80
 
 
Nips80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009

People can say what they want about Todd, but he made some damn fine plays.
Nips80 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 03:37 AM #3
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.
 
paintballerguy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hattiesburg
paintballerguy13 is a Supporting Member
paintballerguy13 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballerguy13 posts videos on PbNation
paintballerguy13 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
For those who missed it:

http://www.pbnation.com/out.php?l=ht...dex?id=9446203
__________________
Feedback Dark Army
Southern Miss Golden Eagles

paintballerguy13 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 AM #4
.brad.
 
 
.brad.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
.brad. is a Paintball photographer
.brad. helped look for balloons


I don't get why ABC cut out from the game as soon as the whistle blew. I guarantee if the SEC won, they would have showed the award ceremony
.brad. is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 AM #5
mrchuck234
Return of the King
 
mrchuck234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lebron, Ohio
mrchuck234 plays in the PSP
I'm proud of Penn State. Nice job boys.
mrchuck234 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 AM #6
BOOM!
Roll Tide
 
BOOM!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brad. View Post
I don't get why ABC cut out from the game as soon as the whistle blew. I guarantee if the SEC won, they would have showed the award ceremony
Didn't the rose bowl start like immediately after? Sorry if I am wrong,not sure about the channels and the times,if the rose bowl was immediately after and on the same channel they would have to cut to it.
__________________
Phi Sigma Kappa-University of Alabama
BOOM! is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 AM #7
.brad.
 
 
.brad.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
.brad. is a Paintball photographer
.brad. helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchuck234 View Post
I'm proud of Penn State. Nice job boys.
yeahhhh, shoulda been a blow out, but it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

Good job to OSU. Big10 has been doing well. Northwestern still went into OT with 5 interceptions, Michigan ST played pretty well without 14 players, Wisconsin smacked around Miami, but minny blew it . Now it's Iowa's turn.

If Iowa wins, Big10 finishes with 3 teams in the top10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOM! View Post
Didn't the rose bowl start like immediately after? Sorry if I am wrong,not sure about the channels and the times,if the rose bowl was immediately after and on the same channel they would have to cut to it.
Rosebowl started about 30-45 minutes after. Capital One ended around 4:30, rose bowl started after 5
.brad. is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 AM #8
PeYToN-SS
dat fro
 
PeYToN-SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Danger Zone
PeYToN-SS is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nips80 View Post

People can say what they want about Todd, but he made some damn fine plays.
Thats a very well made video, thanks for posting. I couldn't be happier for Todd, his turnaround this year has been a great story.

So Nips, important question: Black or white shoes?
__________________
2011 NMFCF Honey Badger Thread Champion
Team Aircraft Carrier - Chairman of the Brain Trust
PeYToN-SS is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM #9
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul
 
IoNxRoCkEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LSU
Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brad. View Post
yeahhhh, shoulda been a blow out, but it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

Good job to OSU. Big10 has been doing well. Northwestern still went into OT with 5 interceptions, Michigan ST played pretty well without 14 players, Wisconsin smacked around Miami, but minny blew it . Now it's Iowa's turn.

If Iowa wins, Big10 finishes with 3 teams in the top10.



Rosebowl started about 30-45 minutes after. Capital One ended around 4:30, rose bowl started after 5
You're such a sore winner, it easily could have been an LSU blowout if they caught half of Clarks passes that hit them in the face and the wr's didn't oddly drop so many balls. It could have went anyway on a dry field or on a different day but the fact is Penn State won in a good game, be happy about it.
__________________
NCAA Thread-Come feel the hate
IoNxRoCkEr is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM #10
Nips80
 
 
Nips80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brad. View Post
Northwestern still went into OT with 5 interceptions
Northwestern loss that game 3 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeYToN-SS View Post
Thats a very well made video, thanks for posting. I couldn't be happier for Todd, his turnaround this year has been a great story.

So Nips, important question: Black or white shoes?
Same on Todd, good to see him in the record books after last year's debacle. Gotta say, I'm partial to white.
Nips80 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 AM #11
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2
 
tchs_drummer06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster
Playoffs would probably reduce the teams in division one football by over half. You would have to both cut games from the season and eliminate bowl games, which would force most programs into the red.

And since football is what keeps college athletics running, you would force college athletics in general into the red.

I'm not making this up.
Seems to work just fine in FCS, even with a 16 team playoff that's moving to 20 next year. Don't get me wrong, I think eight is enough. I'm just making a point.

They play 11 games.
__________________
BradTater
Georgia Southern Eagles - Join The Journey - Sun Belt 2014
"It's better to have died a young boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman
tchs_drummer06 is online now  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 AM #12
mrchuck234
Return of the King
 
mrchuck234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lebron, Ohio
mrchuck234 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IoNxRoCkEr View Post
You're such a sore winner, it easily could have been an LSU blowout if they caught half of Clarks passes that hit them in the face and the wr's didn't oddly drop so many balls. It could have went anyway on a dry field or on a different day but the fact is Penn State won in a good game, be happy about it.
yeah, but that's football.

The team that executes, wins.
mrchuck234 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 AM #13
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchs_drummer06 View Post
Seems to work just fine in FCS, even with a 16 team playoff that's moving to 20 next year. Don't get me wrong, I think eight is enough. I'm just making a point.

They play 11 games.
That would be a good point, but it goes back to one of the biggest impediments to a playoff - money. The FCS playoffs produce very little money whereas the college bowl system yields almost half a billion in revenue. As such, in the FCS, you can do extended playoffs and the like because money isn't an issue; you can't really do the same in the FBS because teams/sponsors/networks/cities and the like need to make money.

All you really need to know about the likelihood of playoffs anytime soon are obvious in the respective divisions' names:

Football Bowl Subdivision
Football Championship Subdivision

And it makes sense ...
__________________
Alabama Football
Kentucky Basketball
Kellster is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 AM #14
FL07
On High Alert
 
FL07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
The might be unlikely, but that doesn't mean it's not a vastly superior system.
FL07 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM #15
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL07 View Post
The might be unlikely, but that doesn't mean it's not a vastly superior system.
But in order for said system to be "vastly superior," it needs to yield an equal or greater sum of money for everyone, right?
__________________
Alabama Football
Kentucky Basketball
Kellster is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 AM #16
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
And does the media have to use every chance they get to vent about Nick Saban? This act is getting really old.

PTI's own Bill Plaschke chimed in:

Fun isn't part of Saban's playbook.
__________________
Alabama Football
Kentucky Basketball
Kellster is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM #17
FL07
On High Alert
 
FL07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
no.

It would provide a more effective way of determining a champion, and be way more fun to watch as a fan. It would probably provide more revenue too, and with a revenue sharing program could spread the money around similar to the way the NFL does it, but that's a secondary benefit. There is no doubt in my mind that the total revenue would be much higher if there were a playoff system. Everyone that is interested in watching some crappy bowl now would continue to watch and millions of new people would be much more interested in the game as it would now have championship implications. This would lead to a lucrative TV contract much more valuable than the current TV contract for the lesser bowls. The sponsorship revenues could be kept intact if necessary but the advertising revenue from TV ads on a prime time, meaningful bowl game would likely trump the current sponsorship revenue. There is no reason to believe that revenue would drop off in a playoff system, the only question is how to appropriately distribute that revenue among the colleges so that nobody gets the shaft.
FL07 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM #18
FL07
On High Alert
 
FL07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Nick Saban is Bill Belichick with a fitted shirt and Southern accent.
thus making him awesome. Who doesn't want their coach to be serious business?
FL07 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 AM #19
FL07
On High Alert
 
FL07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Plaschke sounded like such a ***** in that article. Football is not about going to disneyland bill, it's about winning.
FL07 is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM #20
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL07 View Post
no.

It would provide a more effective way of determining a champion, and be way more fun to watch as a fan. It would probably provide more revenue too, and with a revenue sharing program could spread the money around similar to the way the NFL does it, but that's a secondary benefit. There is no doubt in my mind that the total revenue would be much higher if there were a playoff system. Everyone that is interested in watching some crappy bowl now would continue to watch and millions of new people would be much more interested in the game as it would now have championship implications. This would lead to a lucrative TV contract much more valuable than the current TV contract for the lesser bowls. The sponsorship revenues could be kept intact if necessary but the advertising revenue from TV ads on a prime time, meaningful bowl game would likely trump the current sponsorship revenue. There is no reason to believe that revenue would drop off in a playoff system, the only question is how to appropriately distribute that revenue among the colleges so that nobody gets the shaft.
This is the same tired argument that been made again and again and it's entirely based on speculation, rather than fact. The fact is nobody really knows how much money college playoffs would yield and it probably wouldn't be fair for everyone. However, we do know that the bowl system yields over $400 million each year ... and growing.

Again, if there were money in playoffs, don't you think you'd see more people advocating for a switch?

Furthermore, how do you counter this argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playoffproblem.com
Just try to create an eight-team playoff based on the latest rankings (December 6th). Should two-loss Oregon (10-2, #7) and Ohio State (10-2, #8) get in but not the other FOUR teams with two losses: Georgia Tech (11-2, #9), Iowa (10-2, #10), Penn State (10-2, #13), BYU (10-2, #14)? If you think the BCS is controversial, try sorting that out. A playoff would guarantee bigger problems, more controversy, more disappointed teams and more frustrated fans.
The farther you go down the rankings, the more you have teams with identical records. How do you decide who gets in?

And then you risk the issue of taking in too many teams:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playoffproblem.com
In every sport, brackets began with a few teams. Then schools felt slighted, and so the brackets grew to accommodate more teams. And grew and grew and grew. It is known as "bracket creep." The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship started with eight teams. It’s now 65, and some college officials want to expand beyond that. The NCAA’s Football Championship Subdivision began with a four-team playoff years ago, and now it’s been expanded to 20 teams. Think about what bracket creep would do to college football: it would greatly diminish the importance of the regular season, and would forever change the bowl system.
Check this website out ...
__________________
Alabama Football
Kentucky Basketball
Kellster is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 AM #21
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL07 View Post
thus making him awesome. Who doesn't want their coach to be serious business?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL07 View Post
Plaschke sounded like such a ***** in that article. Football is not about going to disneyland bill, it's about winning.
I love how he compares him unfavorably with Belichick - maybe the best coach in all of football - but also advocates guys like Pete Carroll, who are probably cheating.

And yeah, Plaschke was definitely doing some whining.

The media's hatred for mean old Saban has gotten really old and tiring.
__________________
Alabama Football
Kentucky Basketball
Kellster is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump