Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 AM #1
Shadow7874

Considering some parts for my ion. help?!

I played today for the first time in quite a while and used my ion all day instead of my 98C and realized how much i love this marker.

Id like to make a few changes to improve the consistency and efficiency and maybe a different body. First off, what websites are good ones to shop for ion parts? Right now im looking over firstcallpaintball but a yahoo search surprisingly didnt show me many sites.

And what mods would you guys recommend starting with? I frequented this forum a while back and from what i recall a good start is a QEV and a bolt.
How is the warrior bolt? i see it is only $20 on firstcall but would it be worth it to get an x7 or firebolt instead?
And are there any on off buttons other then the virtue ones? I gotta ditch this stock one soon but i was wondering what other options there are.
and ive heard they are about the same but would you guys recommend the smart parts, trinity, or the virtue qev? the trinity is a few bucks cheaper.

Last edited by Shadow7874 : 01-03-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Shadow7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2010, 02:03 AM #2
Phantom_Lord
Paintball Wizard

I would go for efficiency and start out with a qev and your best bet is to go with the smart parts 360. Next I would get a fire bolt that should bring your operating pressure down quite a bit. Try ansgear.com they are great.
Phantom_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:45 AM #3
maloneoni
The Ronin

someone is gonna tell you to check the stickies, but i will tell you my order of ugrades opinion. (assuming that you already have a barrel)

1. feedneck changed to a clamping feedneck
2. stock duckbill to rail and asa
3. trigger
4. qev
5. bolt
6. board or body. whicher is more important to you.
7. reg, if you hate the stock one's appearance and/or method of adjustment

the first things are all interface and feel for the marker. qev and bolt are for performance.

actionvillage.com ftw.

As far as bolts, the best are the techt l7 or the deadly wind hollow point. The warrior bolt is a knock off firebolt. I used a warrior bolt for while.

Last edited by maloneoni : 01-03-2010 at 03:00 AM.
maloneoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 AM #4
Shadow7874

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloneoni View Post
someone is gonna tell you to check the stickies, but i will tell you my order of ugrades opinion. (assuming that you already have a barrel)

1. feedneck changed to a clamping feedneck
2. stock duckbill to rail and asa
3. trigger
4. qev
5. bolt
6. board or body. whicher is more important to you.
7. reg, if you hate the stock one's appearance and/or method of adjustment

the first things are all interface and feel for the marker. qev and bolt are for performance.

actionvillage.com ftw.

As far as bolts, the best are the techt l7 or the deadly wind hollow point. The warrior bolt is a knock off firebolt. I used a warrior bolt for while.
I looked at the upgrade thread but it seems everyone has a different opinion.
I dont mind the stock reg for now and my feed neck holds my halo really tight. I also probably dont need a board considering how little i play. I may pickup a trigger but i mainly want to know what the best bolt and qev. I also have to change out the on/off as it was giving me alot of problems earlier today. I still have the stock barrel but it seems fairly decent compared to other ive used. I may grab the 3 peice evil kit since its only about $50 then find a front. Im trying to keep the investment to a minimum since i have an 07 mustang and 2 jet skis im trying to mod/fix too.

So is the L7 the best bolt or does it have problems? From what i see it looks to be the lightest by far.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM #5
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
Buy a Deadlywinds Hollowpoint bolt, and you wont even need the QEV.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM #6
ionbrother

yeah the deadly winds bolt is sweet as it gets. but ive still gotta fine tune mine. But then on QEV if you get one, definitely go with the smartparts 360
Bodies on the otherhand, all based on looks so that decision is all on you. But you will have to take into effect if you need one that has the bob mod, or if it doesnt bother you taking it apart

MacDev Militia
ionbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:50 PM #7
maloneoni
The Ronin

look at ion part-outs and gearbag sales. you can find alot of good stuff for half too 3/4 of the original price.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM #8
Hungry&Fat
Fo Sho!

I;m very happy with my warrior bolt. Its the only one I have ever tried other than stock and since it does what I want, I see no reason to try any other. A feedneck is a must. Not sure what paint you shoot, but I also love my 14" proto barrel.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 AM #9
Shadow7874

are there any problems with the hollowpoint? Im reading some reviews and it mentions a few problems if you dont loctite something but im not sure what its referring to
Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 AM #10
spug
spuggles

Annual Supporting Member
spug is a Moderator
spug is a Supporting Member
spug is BST Legit
spug donated to help Peyton Trent
spug supports our troops
spug is Legendary
They were referring to loctiting the screw that holds the stalk inside the firing chamber.

Since they switched to an aluminum, stalk this is no longer an issue.
spug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 AM #11
Shadow7874

2 more questions.
Anyone used stinger grips on their ion? i just came accross about a hundred different grips from them that are custom made but the option lists sith ion and not just ion. Will that fit my ion? If not does someone know a site with a lot of grips? ive seen a few i like but most websites only have a few to choose from so its hard to find exactly what im looking for.

Also the hollowpoint website says not to use a QEV because it would be too fast. So essentially i could buy a $30 bolt and a QEV or just buy the hollowpoint for $60 and have an even better setup for about the same investment?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:08 PM #12
teray0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow7874 View Post
2 more questions.
Anyone used stinger grips on their ion? i just came accross about a hundred different grips from them that are custom made but the option lists sith ion and not just ion. Will that fit my ion? If not does someone know a site with a lot of grips? ive seen a few i like but most websites only have a few to choose from so its hard to find exactly what im looking for.

Also the hollowpoint website says not to use a QEV because it would be too fast. So essentially i could buy a $30 bolt and a QEV or just buy the hollowpoint for $60 and have an even better setup for about the same investment?
stinger paintball grips are awesome I used them on my mini very nice grips
second you can use a qev with a hollow point bolt just your dwell will be really low. which will really help you to get the most from your ion.
teray0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 AM #13
maloneoni
The Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow7874 View Post
2 more questions.

I think the sith frame uses standard 45* grips, but I'm sure that stinger will be happy to respond to an inquiry through email. They also do custom designs.

And on the hollow point qev thing: yes, that is correct. The deadly wind blows the doors off of everything else with the exception of the l7. I think I read somewhere that you could use a qev with the hollowpoint, but it is difficult to do.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 AM #14
Shadow7874

thanks guys. I ordered the HP bolt, foehn v2.5 body in red and the trigger DW offers in red too. $135 ish shipped which isnt terrible. Still need to find a new on/off (trying to find the red grenade one), grips (trying to find 06 hybrid contract killer grips w/ the hitman in red), possibly a new ASA, possibly another halo backplate since mine is cracking, and lastly maybe a feed neck even though mine works fine since my halo is sanded down a bit. eventually i need a barrel too... probably going to get the cheap stuff first (button and grips) till i play a little more which wont be for a while with school starting back...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM #15
Empire92

In my opinion custom products and tech t make the best ion parts. If you want a board go virtue.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM #16
Throwdown_08
They call me Rambo

Annual Supporting Member
Throwdown_08 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Throwdown_08 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Throwdown_08 supports Team VICIOUS
Throwdown_08 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Throwdown_08 supports Empire
i have a TechT. Love it. and i have the Virtue QEV. Get the 360, easier to work on ur gun. The TechT is is soooo light and with the bolt and qev i have my dwell at 15.
ChristKrew #268
Vampire Ego10 Lucky15
Geo2.05 Dye Carbon Fiber Boomstick
GUNFIGHTER

HK
Throwdown_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM #17
DaBeastIon
I love Ions

DaBeastIon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DaBeastIon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DaBeastIon supports Team VICIOUS
IMO, for an upgraded board I would go for the Seventh Element Board, its got what all the others got just its cheaper, its got sound alerts and stuff too. its only 74.95 too! I am thinking about parting out my ion soon and may and Ill have alot of nice stuff to go, most of my stuff ill be selling is in my sig.

BTW does a qev really make it difficult to use the hp bolt?
DaBeastIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM #18
maloneoni
The Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeastIon View Post
BTW does a qev really make it difficult to use the hp bolt?
i dont know, that is what i heard somewhere. i have an l7
Old 01-23-2010, 07:53 PM #19
njmac

Avoid the warrior bolt, I bought one and it snapped in half in the middle of a game after about 5 cases of paint. I use a NDZ skeleton bolt, absolutely love it. Not sure if they still make them though.

Nurv Droid

04 Blue Prostock CCM Pump, Chrome Freak Kit

BLue Bomber ION w/CP rake trigger, cp Reg, CP razor drop, CP on/off, NDZ Skeleton Bolt, SP Freak kit 16" front
njmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 PM #20
ritzcrakers

for a bolt go with the l7 their is nothing else that compares to it and for the qev doesn't really matter which one you pick up, i as well have the 7e board and works terrific and it comes with new hoses.
ritzcrakers is offline   Reply With Quote