Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM #1
Smart Parts Player12

Purpose of Philosophy

I've always looked at things in terms of absolutes, what will get me where, how well I will do, etc. I'm wondering to anyone that studies philosophy, what is the point? What type of field do you wish to enter after you're done school. Why major in the abstract versus a concrete skill?
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2009, 09:34 PM #2
TPB_Bubbles
Veritas Vos Liberabit

The skills Philosophy can teach you are life skills, critical thinking, logical arguments, skeptical research, etc.

Lots of companies find it's easier to teach the business side of a job to an employee rather then these skills, so if you actually talk to anyone IN University, they'll tell you that a Philosophy major is one of the top degrees for getting a job and earning.

"Upstream, small redirectons of flow, downstream everything shifts."
TPB_Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:42 AM #3
vanquish_v12

has been a member for 10 years
^Yep, I don't know what kind of job I would get that requires me to know about the works of Kant or Aristotle, but I can tell you that the critical thinking skills I learned through the several philosophy classes I took for fun have been very helpful. I use these skills every day in some way, and they've helped me both in college and law school. It really changes the way you think and approach problems.

Probably some of the most useful classes, in a practical sort of way, that I have ever taken were Public Speaking and Philosophy classes. As I said, I use those skills every day.
"Originally posted by Darryl Hadfield: Don't be silly. God doesn't make crap."
vanquish_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:48 AM #4
Smart Parts Player12

That argument is valid, but it doesn't give you any skill sets at all. If you major in engineering or chemistry, it's so easy to get a job. If you take science majors vs. philosophy majors, I'm sure the science guys have a much easier time finding jobs.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:59 PM #5
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Parts Player12 View Post
I've always looked at things in terms of absolutes, what will get me where, how well I will do, etc. I'm wondering to anyone that studies philosophy, what is the point? What type of field do you wish to enter after you're done school. Why major in the abstract versus a concrete skill?
the message you are typing on the machine you are using connected to the network we are all utilizing all are possible because one day, someone started thinking abstractly. and didn't stop to wonder why they bothered in the first place.

Who knows what unimaginable things might come of it in the future.

edit: if you're pursuing knowledge to have an career, you aren't a good candidate for philosophy. There are other goals in life than being an accountant.

Last edited by hsilman : 12-25-2009 at 01:02 PM.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:25 PM #6
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
There are other goals in life than being an accountant.
Well done sir.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:51 PM #7
Smart Parts Player12

Quote:
the message you are typing on the machine you are using connected to the network we are all utilizing all are possible because one day, someone started thinking abstractly. and didn't stop to wonder why they bothered in the first place.

Who knows what unimaginable things might come of it in the future.

edit: if you're pursuing knowledge to have an career, you aren't a good candidate for philosophy. There are other goals in life than being an accountant.
Not at all really..Someone created computers because they wanted a fast, more efficient way to communicate. Not because they studied the Greek Classics.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:21 PM #8
Flying_Dutchman

John Locke is in large part responsible for the United States being the way it is, not to mention science was born from philosophy.

Ironically, as much as philosophy seeks the objective truth, it's extremely personal. I study philosophy because I'm so interested I can't stay away from it. I haven't even really thought about a career and frankly I don't care.
Flying_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:34 PM #9
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Parts Player12 View Post
Not at all really..Someone created computers because they wanted a fast, more efficient way to communicate. Not because they studied the Greek Classics.
mathematics comes from ancient greek philosophers, at least abstract mathematics. calculators came from mathematics. computers came from calculators. Internet connects computers. Ergo, ancient greek philosophers must be included in those responsible for the internet and computers.

or if you want a more direct, post-fall of rome connection, Islamic philosophers created our current mathematical system from studying ancient greek texts, bringing it to medieval europe through the church, etc etc.

embodied, I think philosophy is the structured discovery of the unimaginable. While you can sit around smoking weed and "philosophize" all you want, don't mistake professional philosophy for the dime-store hippie variety.

Last edited by hsilman : 12-25-2009 at 07:37 PM.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:43 PM #10
Flying_Dutchman

Quote:
I think philosophy is the structured discovery of the unimaginable. While you can sit around smoking weed and "philosophize" all you want, don't mistake professional philosophy for the dime-store hippie variety.
This is perfect.
Flying_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote