Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-22-2009, 12:19 AM #64
SuperSupra619 (Banned)
Celebrate Diversity

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Parts Player12 View Post
God creates man. God shows man right from wrong. God gives man choice. Man makes wrong choice. God punishes man for wrong choice.
/fixed
SuperSupra619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 AM #65
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
I love how athiests are so critical of the lack of "proof" in theists, but go on to believe in so many scientific theories that are without "proof".
where did I say science theories were a belief system???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
I believe neither of us is understanding what the other is saying... i never said science was or was not a belief system. only that there are people that do believe with little or no true evidence. The only thing keeping the big bang theory as a theory is that they have nothing to contradict it. there is no solid proof that the big bang occured or that god existed.
end conversation

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 AM #66
Skippy88

Skippy88 plays in the APPA D5 division
i believe he just misunderstood the angle at which we were coming from.
Picasso Lake Factory #73
DM9

Willie Shinn fan club - #5
Willie "They dont make marker for people who dont play paintball."
Skippy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 AM #67
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
i believe he just misunderstood the angle at which we were coming from.
ya and then jumped down my throat over a misunderstood point.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
Old 12-22-2009, 12:39 AM #68
Skippy88

ya... it happens. you know what will make you better...

*HUG*--no homo..

its ok.
Picasso Lake Factory #73
DM9

Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 AM #69
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
ya and then jumped down my throat over a misunderstood point.
Nope not a misunderstood point, your point was and still is merely wrong. Scientists don't just "believe" in something without evidence. You compared belief in God to "belief" in evolution. Incorrect comparison. I explained why on the previous page, go back and reread it if you must.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:58 AM #70
Skippy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
I highlighted the important parts.

A scientific theory may be a belief, but it is substantiated, predicated on facts, not faith. And it's not a belief in the same way that faith in God is a belief. Belief really isn't the correct word. I don't believe in evolution, I accept it as a well substantiated scientific theory. Get it yet?
there fore you have blind faith because as i stated previously the definition of theory.

a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of ...
hypothesis: a tentative insight into the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena; "a scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory

therefor unarguable facts have formed the theory of evolution. using undeniable scientific methods. and you still disagree. even though our dna is close to 99% similar. you still disagree...
Picasso Lake Factory #73
DM9

Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 AM #71
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Nope not a misunderstood point, your point was and still is merely wrong. Scientists don't just "believe" in something without evidence. You compared belief in God to "belief" in evolution. Incorrect comparison. I explained why on the previous page, go back and reread it if you must.
Proof is a fact, argument, or piece of evidence which shows that something is definitely true or definitely exists.

Theists believe in God without "proof".
Athiests believe in BBT without "proof".

Don't understand why you're talking about scientists. I never mentioned them.

Outside of actually proving BBT, lets discuss what I was talking about... Athiests, not scientists.

Warbeak, let's do an exercise:
Prove to me that dinosaurs existed.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:02 AM #72
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
Reading this thread made me feel like a heroin junkie.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:13 AM #73
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
there fore you have blind faith because as i stated previously the definition of theory.

a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of ...
hypothesis: a tentative insight into the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena; "a scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory

therefor unarguable facts have formed the theory of evolution. using undeniable scientific methods. and you still disagree. even though our dna is close to 99% similar. you still disagree...
You do realize that I just said that I accept evolution as a valid scientific theory? I agree with evolution. Reread my post, you clearly misunderstood it.

Quote:
Proof is a fact, argument, or piece of evidence which shows that something is definitely true or definitely exists.

Theists believe in God without "proof".
Athiests believe in BBT without "proof".

Don't understand why you're talking about scientists. I never mentioned them.

Outside of actually proving BBT, lets discuss what I was talking about... Athiests, not scientists.

Warbeak, let's do an exercise:
Prove to me that dinosaurs existed.
1. You're assuming that all atheists accept evolution.
2. Accepting evolution does not take faith such as that used by theists to believe in God.
3. No I'm not going to play that game with you, that's not what we're talking about.

You are still wrong. People who accept evolution (not just atheists. I'm not an atheist and I accept evolution), are not acting in the same way as people who believe in God. Accepting a well substantiated scientific theory is not the same as believing in a religion. Your comparison is absurd and wrong.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 12-22-2009, 01:19 AM #74
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
You do realize that I just said that I accept evolution as a valid scientific theory? I agree with evolution. Reread my post, you clearly misunderstood it.

1. You're assuming that all atheists accept evolution.
2. Accepting evolution does not take faith such as that used by theists to believe in God.

You are still wrong. People who accept evolution (not just atheists. I'm not an atheist and I accept evolution), are not acting in the same way as people who believe in God. Accepting a well substantiated scientific theory is not the same as believing in a religion. Your comparison is absurd and wrong.
Why are you limiting this to just evolution? I haven't even talked about evolution yet. I brought up the BBT.
I believe in evolution, but it is still an unproven concept that requires faith to believe in.

Quote:
Accepting evolution does not take faith such as that used by theists to believe in God.
Both are not proven. While one requires more faith than the other, that doesn't excuse the fact that believeing in something that isn't proven requires faith.

If you're not putting faith in the idea, then you are putting faith in the people who promote the idea.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 AM #75
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

By that logic, everything requires faith because complete empirical knowledge is impossible.

You were saying that "believing" in evolution is the same as believing in a religion. It's not, end of story.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 AM #76
Skippy88

I don't believe in evolution, I accept it as a well substantiated scientific theory.
^^^^^
this is pulled right from your post.. YOU DONT BELIEVE....how can you say "its right but i dont believe it."?
Picasso Lake Factory #73
DM9

Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 AM #77
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
I don't believe in evolution, I accept it as a well substantiated scientific theory.
^^^^^
this is pulled right from your post.. YOU DONT BELIEVE....how can you say "its right but i dont believe it."?
Holy **** I was differentiating between "believing" in something based on faith and accepting something as true because it was well supported by evidence. If you can't make that distinction, you don't have the intellectual capacity to be discussing this.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 AM #78
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
You were saying that "believing" in evolution is the same as believing in a religion. It's not, end of story.
Yes, it is.

1) If you don't have proof (definite), then you need faith.
2) Some things require more faith than others.
3) Both BBT and God require a great deal of faith because neither can even be close to proven.
4) Some people choose to ignore their faith in BBT and attack others for their faith in God.

Not a hard concept.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:27 AM #79
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Accepting well supported scientific theories does not come close to requiring the same amount of faith as believing in God. You are oversimplifying this.

Not a hard concept.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 12-22-2009, 01:31 AM #80
Skippy88

Quote:
Holy **** I was differentiating between "believing" in something based on faith and accepting something as true because it was well supported by evidence. If you can't make that distinction, you don't have the intellectual capacity to be discussing this.
but thats not my point... you said you dont believe something that you know to be true. how can you conciously do that? i understand they are different i do get that... thats not what im after.
Picasso Lake Factory #73
DM9

Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 AM #81
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
but thats not my point... you said you dont believe something that you know to be true. how can you conciously do that? i understand they are different i do get that... thats not what im after.
Ok maybe I didn't state it clearly. I don't JUST believe in evolution. I thought I was getting that across by putting "believe" in quotes. I was trying to distance myself from that word, it doesn't illustrate my understanding of evolution correctly. The more correct word is "accept".
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 AM #82
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Accepting well supported scientific theories does not come close to requiring the same amount of faith as believing in God. You are oversimplifying this.

Not a hard concept.
With the holes in the BBT and the emergence of the MT, I would say it requires a decent amount of faith from a scientist in the middle, let alone someone who has to have faith in what that scientist is telling him.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 AM #83
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
With the holes in the BBT and the emergence of the MT, I would say it requires a decent amount of faith from a scientist in the middle, let alone someone who has to have faith in what that scientist is telling him.
"Decent" doesn't mean the same as believing in God. A scientific theory is held to a different standard than a religious or philosophical idea.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 AM #84
Skippy88

Quote:
Ok maybe I didn't state it clearly. I don't JUST believe in evolution. I thought I was getting that across by putting "believe" in quotes. I was trying to distance myself from that word, it doesn't illustrate my understanding of evolution correctly. The more correct word is "accept".
ok i understand now. thank you sorry for the miscomunication on my part.
Picasso Lake Factory #73
DM9