PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 PM #1
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

has been a member for 10 years
Is it really over?

I have heard that as of Friday Smart Parts is closing. I heard the signs are already off the building. This may be true or maybe not but with what has been going on over there it is reasonable to believe that they will be gone shortly.

I am bummed. No matter what anyone thinks about some of the companies prior actions, they are a major part of paintball. They have been a major part of paintball history and inovation. No matter if you like SP guns or not, they always made a quality product and they made them in the USA rather than Asia. Their designs were innovative and desireable. They were built well and they sold well.

I recently embraced the Vibe and SP1 as the best rental system ever. I havn't had the opportunity to get enough of them and now I am worried about being able to service the ones I have.

if it's true and SP is going Dodo bird on us I really hope another company buys the rights or patents or whatever it takes to get these guns back into production.

I hope all the folks that work for SP land on their feet and find either a new industry that suits them or another paintball company that needs some great people.

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM #2
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
If it does come to fruition, I think DLX will take the highends (Luxe, Shocker, impulse) and GI Milsim will produce the .50 cal and the .68 cal lower side of things (ion/epiphany/vibe/sp1/etc)

since they are both "spawns" of the parent company in some way, it seems to be a reasonable conclusion.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM #3
UcLafan31689

UcLafan31689 plays in the PSP
UcLafan31689 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
UcLafan31689 supports Team VICIOUS
UcLafan31689 is an NCPA player
UcLafan31689 is Legendary
found this on Pbgossip

I received a call from Darryl Trent regarding the Rumor of Smart Parts shutting its doors. This is what he had to say, more or less anyway. Smart Parts has had massive layoffs, a lot of people that have worked there for many years have lost their jobs. In spite of this, they are still open for business. They are still making products, taking and shipping orders. They are trying to stop the bleeding so to speak. Unlike what has been previously reported, Darryl said that they do not have plans of closing. In this economy they are taking the steps they feel needed in order to stay open. No matter what your personal feelings are about the company, it would be bad for Paintball as a sport to have Smart Parts go under. It is bad for the economy to have these people laid off and out of work. And it is bad for these people that have been laid off and their families! Bottom line is that this is real. These are people with families that are affected, and our sport as a whole that is going to be hurt if we see these major manufacturers start going out of business.”

Darryl Trent

http://pbgossip.com/?p=15
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM #4
Phantom Power
Pump Aficionado

That info on pbgossip was posted on November 4th, which was a long time ago. There have been reports of no one picking up the phones when called this past week.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:38 PM #5
Samoa Was Banned 3x
2008 Yamaha R1

Samoa Was Banned 3x donated to help Peyton Trent
Samoa Was Banned 3x helped look for balloons
Samoa Was Banned 3x supports Team VICIOUS
Samoa Was Banned 3x is for the Gunfight
I have heard the same thing. Also, I live close by as well. Greensburg/Latrobe area and can easily drive down and find out what's going on sometime in the near future. Billy and his brother graduated from the school I am currently attending now (The Kiski School, private boarding school) and are sometimes on campus, they seem to be great guys. I played woodsball with them as well behind the All American Paintball Park and seem to be the type of people that would let the community know what is going on imo.
Samoa Was Banned 3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 PM #6
dman3322

dman3322 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dman3322 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I want to know more? Its bad news for for the people that got laid off. people are being layoff everywhere!!!!!!! the company I work for had over 400 people working for them in oct 2008 we will be down too less then 45 by march 2010. its hard everywhere.
dman3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM #7
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Didn't Italia say they were closing shop and GIMilsim will be producing their stuff in the "Orient"?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM #8
secretweaponevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva Paintball View Post
and they made them in the USA rather than Asia.
Didn't they open up a factory in China to make the Ion? I do believe that it was this factory in China that doubled their company's size.

Can anyone provide a link to the article? I have a really good memory for stuff like this.
Edit: Here is a link to a .pdf from CPA firm Malin Bergquist. Ctrl+f on "gardner" (it is on page 5). There it says they opened factories in China and England.
http://www.malinbergquist.com/docume...Report2008.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Didn't Italia say they were closing shop and GIMilsim will be producing their stuff in the "Orient"?
Yes, Italia said that Gardner/Italia Milsim would be produced in the Orient.

Last edited by secretweaponevan : 12-17-2009 at 07:33 AM.
secretweaponevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 PM #9
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
Even if they go belly up, I'd be surprised if they relinquish their patents. They'll still make money on them until they expire courtesy of the licensing agreements they have in place on the markers/boards, etc.

If they do shut down for good, then so be it. It's economic darwinism.
lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 AM #10
midstatepaintball

I talked to Graham in sales

I tried placing an order Monday. He stammered a bit and then told me they stopped taking orders on guns. He didn't come out and say anything concrete but certainly gave me the impression they were closing shop.
midstatepaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 AM #11
EZ Air

I thought this was settled when they sent out their clearance email with no guns a while back. Some of you are acting like DLX is another company? I may be wrong but I have heard the Bank has everything including the patents. What you should all take from this is a NEED to bring margins up, not try to sell at the rock bottom price. I sold tons of IONs for $300. At $185, not so many. The value as a dealer went way down when I could no longer bank on a sale.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:53 AM #12
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
I assume DLX was it's own entity, most likely owned by the Smart Parts Corporation. Unless it was sold before the banks got involved, it would be part of the assets that would be involved with any bankrupcy proceedings. I'm not a corporate lawyer though.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 AM #13
Crimson Death
HATERS GON HATE

maybe AKA will be able to make production markers again!
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:55 AM #14
PbN_AutoTrader
Your PERSONAL Proshop

Annual Supporting Member
PbN_AutoTrader is BST Legit
PbN_AutoTrader donated to help Peyton Trent
PbN_AutoTrader supports Bob Gurnsey
PbN_AutoTrader supports our troops
PbN_AutoTrader is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
PbN_AutoTrader is Legendary
PbN_AutoTrader supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Air View Post
I thought this was settled when they sent out their clearance email with no guns a while back. Some of you are acting like DLX is another company? I may be wrong but I have heard the Bank has everything including the patents. What you should all take from this is a NEED to bring margins up, not try to sell at the rock bottom price. I sold tons of IONs for $300. At $185, not so many. The value as a dealer went way down when I could no longer bank on a sale.
Don't you HATE undercutting?

Eventually it wears on.. You can't get through to some people though.
Contact ME (Michael) Direct ANYtime (24/7)
Call/Text 504-669-2298
michael@theotherathlete.com
www.paintballtraderworldwide.com www.theotherathlete.com
PbN_AutoTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 AM #15
23south

Kee

This would be a good pick up for KEE action sports
23south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 AM #16
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva Paintball View Post
I have heard that as of Friday Smart Parts is closing. I heard the signs are already off the building. This may be true or maybe not but with what has been going on over there it is reasonable to believe that they will be gone shortly.

I am bummed. No matter what anyone thinks about some of the companies prior actions, they are a major part of paintball. They have been a major part of paintball history and profiteering. No matter if you like SP guns or not, they always made a quality product and they made them in the USA rather than Asia. Their designs were copied and desireable. They were built well and they sold well.

I recently embraced the Vibe and SP1 as the best rental system ever. I havn't had the opportunity to get enough of them and now I am worried about being able to service the ones I have.

if it's true and SP is going Dodo bird on us I really hope another company buys the rights or patents or whatever it takes to get these guns back into production.

I hope all the folks that work for SP land on their feet and find either a new industry that suits them or another paintball company that needs some great people.

fixed
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
UglyDuckGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:13 AM #17
livin4real
Raisin'a ruckus since '75

livin4real is BST Trusted
livin4real supports Cereal Killerz 2
livin4real helped look for balloons
Maybe if they start their own "My Name is Earl, righting all the wrongs we've done" list, karma will come back around for them. I do feel for the employees shafted right before Christmas though.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM #18
livin4real
Raisin'a ruckus since '75

livin4real is BST Trusted
livin4real supports Cereal Killerz 2
livin4real helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by UcLafan31689 View Post
found this on Pbgossip

I received a call from Darryl Trent regarding the Rumor of Smart Parts shutting its doors. This is what he had to say, more or less anyway. Smart Parts has had massive layoffs, a lot of people that have worked there for many years have lost their jobs. In spite of this, they are still open for business. They are still making products, taking and shipping orders. They are trying to stop the bleeding so to speak. Unlike what has been previously reported, Darryl said that they do not have plans of closing. In this economy they are taking the steps they feel needed in order to stay open. No matter what your personal feelings are about the company, it would be bad for Paintball as a sport to have Smart Parts go under. It is bad for the economy to have these people laid off and out of work. And it is bad for these people that have been laid off and their families! Bottom line is that this is real. These are people with families that are affected, and our sport as a whole that is going to be hurt if we see these major manufacturers start going out of business.”

Darryl Trent

http://pbgossip.com/?p=15
fyi, that post is over a month old.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM #19
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
lamorte is a Supporting Member
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Power View Post
That info on pbgossip was posted on November 4th, which was a long time ago. There have been reports of no one picking up the phones when called this past week.
pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin4real View Post
fyi, that post is over a month old.
& re-pete

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 PM #20
TxMostWanted

Still open for business

I read that Smart Parts is still in business, yes they did have layoffs, but will remain open. One of their reps is out for surgery and this is the reason for orders not being filled in a timely manner. It's always sad to see companies go out of business, so let's keep our fingers crossed.
TxMostWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM #21
TheePsycho
Sadist

TheePsycho is a Supporting Member
TheePsycho is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMostWanted View Post
I read that Smart Parts is still in business, yes they did have layoffs, but will remain open. One of their reps is out for surgery and this is the reason for orders not being filled in a timely manner. It's always sad to see companies go out of business, so let's keep our fingers crossed.
You must have come over from the smartcorps forums. Somehow one person laid up in the hospital doesn't cause a business to stop production, I'm sure their are other people to pick up the slack if thats what was truly causing the problems which is highly unlikely the reason behind it.

The interview with Italia says something about it.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/brwp/BRWP132.mp3