PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 PM #85
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Well, I know several people that work in the White House (mostly staffers), and you'd be amazed by the number of elected officials who support one cause because of their constituency, but personally believe something else entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many officials who publicly stated they were christian, and went to church, but in fact were agnostic or atheist.

I know for sure several NE congressmen are atheist or agnostic.
That's the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishPaintball View Post
More than 3/4 of the population profess to be Christians. Nonbelievers, even in the most lenient interpretation of the category, make up 15% or so. Only about 1% actually identify as "atheist." One of the biggest issues in the last presidential election was what Barack Obama's preacher had to say to his flock.

Seriously, show me a holder of public office who was elected whilst proclaiming to be an atheist. More suitably, show me enough that the number correlates with the demographics (1/100 if going atheist, a little more than 1/8 of going with "nonbeliever").

It's up to St. Peter to determine if those saying they're Christians are really Christians. If you have to claim to be Christian to get elected, the point stands.

Ref.
Edgell, P., Gerteis, J., & Hartmann, D. (2006). Atheist as other. American Sociological Review, Vol. 71.
No one really has to claim they're a Christian to get elected. If it is true that atheists don't get elected, all they would have to do is not say they are a Christian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
this is a forum devoted to religion and philosophical discussion, so I disagree that the point stands. Whether or not they ever exhibit Biblically based Christian values or show that Christ is the head of their lives instead of anything else is not just a moot point. I would definitely argue that not a single politician in american history has done that.

now, are they devoted to the same "Christianity" that the vast majority of americans claim when responding to the Gallup polls, then yes. But that "Christianity" has nothing to do with any religion, but an embodiment of American nationalistic values, which are quite related to the Christian "holy days" and how they were established, than again, anything to do with the Bible.
I do agree with this post completely though. I seriously doubt barely any Christians have been elected to office.
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 AM #86
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη View Post
No one really has to claim they're a Christian to get elected. If it is true that atheists don't get elected, all they would have to do is not say they are a Christian.
Now there's a thought, not bringing your personal religious views into politics. Woah slow down there buddy, that's way too American for Americans.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM #87
vanquish_v12

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ngu!n View Post
oh looky, islam doesn't state that its the only way to heaven does it?

stop being a ***** cause you irrationally hate a group of people. there are differences between christians and church goers.
I was talking about Christians, not Muslims, so what is the point you're trying to make here? It seems like you're arguing with something I never actually said.

Did you read the rest of the thread? Where did I say anything about hating anybody? I feel like you're trying to pick a fight here when there is no conflict. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Now there's a thought, not bringing your personal religious views into politics. Woah slow down there buddy, that's way too American for Americans.
"Originally posted by Darryl Hadfield: Don't be silly. God doesn't make crap."

Last edited by vanquish_v12 : 02-04-2010 at 10:36 AM.
vanquish_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 PM #88
xXpbdudeXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
I almost feel as if I'm being mocked here.
xXpbdudeXx is offline   Reply With Quote