Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 AM #43
Dr.Phil.McGraw (Banned)
I am a doctor, seriously!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: at Harpo industrial chem
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishPaintball View Post
I , "Hey Judy, this pot roast is fantastic! Can I have the recipe? Also, I hate atheists."
lol.

well I dont see racism popping up the same way.

"hey judy this is a fantastic potroast. also the jews run the diamond trade."
not exactly a conversation starter either way.

maybe this is because almost everyone I know is either agnostic, atheist, or religious. and nothing has come of it. aside from a more radical friend claiming I will go to hell for not attending church (but still being very kind to me and only brought it up because I asked) and some of my atheist friends being D bags when I tell them I went to 4 different religious temples over easter (synagogue, buddhist temple, JW church, and "normal" church)

to be honest, the atheists seem more pushy and condescending about their "faith" then anyone else. IMO.

agnosticism is still the one true faith.

atheists are wrong and so are all religious fundamentalists.
Dr.Phil.McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:08 AM #44
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
I don't think anyone's comparing it to racism, but it still exists in droves around the US. You won't see it as much on a college campus because people are usually more liberal and open minded. I even experience some of it from people around campus and I'm a pantheist, not an atheist.

Also, your friends and your experience with them is just that, your experience. It may be the norm or it may be a social anomaly. I'd say that if you are all young people, perhaps attending school, it's not strange for your group of friends to be open minded and mixed with respect to their beliefs. But once you get out in the real world beyond an academic environment, it's not like that at all.

Atheists and religious people are wrong? Could be, that's just your opinion though, let's not state it as a fact.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM #45
Gisgo09
vGisgo
 
Gisgo09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phil.McGraw View Post
lol.

well I dont see racism popping up the same way.

"hey judy this is a fantastic potroast. also the jews run the diamond trade."
not exactly a conversation starter either way.

maybe this is because almost everyone I know is either agnostic, atheist, or religious. and nothing has come of it. aside from a more radical friend claiming I will go to hell for not attending church (but still being very kind to me and only brought it up because I asked) and some of my atheist friends being D bags when I tell them I went to 4 different religious temples over easter (synagogue, buddhist temple, JW church, and "normal" church)

to be honest, the atheists seem more pushy and condescending about their "faith" then anyone else. IMO.

agnosticism is still the one true faith.

atheists are wrong and so are all religious fundamentalists.
Sadly I know people who will jump from one conversation about something random to a racist screed for no particular reason. So it does pop up that way.

Is it wrong to see no conclusive evidence for something and conclude it probably doesn't exist while still maintaining the possibility that it could or is it logical? That's the definition of weak/negative atheism.
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.
"Thats a lot of Romans over there." "Yes but not one of them is Gisgo." Hannibal Barca and general Gisgo before the battle of Cannae in 216 BC.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:32 PM #46
Dr.Phil.McGraw (Banned)
I am a doctor, seriously!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: at Harpo industrial chem
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
I don't think anyone's comparing it to racism, but it still exists in droves around the US. You won't see it as much on a college campus because people are usually more liberal and open minded. I even experience some of it from people around campus and I'm a pantheist, not an atheist.

Also, your friends and your experience with them is just that, your experience. It may be the norm or it may be a social anomaly. I'd say that if you are all young people, perhaps attending school, it's not strange for your group of friends to be open minded and mixed with respect to their beliefs. But once you get out in the real world beyond an academic environment, it's not like that at all.

Atheists and religious people are wrong? Could be, that's just your opinion though, let's not state it as a fact.
for the record I spent 4 years in steel fab before returning to school.

I have never in my life met one person who has said "your an atheist? wow! I thought (insert negative prejudice towards atheism here)"

since I have never seen it, never heard of it in real life, and honestly, this might be the first time in my E life I have heard reference to atheists meing stereotyped etc.

it is rediculous.

maybe in lybia or iran. or maybe if I had been raised catholic and quit I could see my family riding me over atheism.... but otherwise no.
Dr.Phil.McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:57 PM #47
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phil.McGraw View Post
for the record I spent 4 years in steel fab before returning to school.

I have never in my life met one person who has said "your an atheist? wow! I thought (insert negative prejudice towards atheism here)"

since I have never seen it, never heard of it in real life, and honestly, this might be the first time in my E life I have heard reference to atheists meing stereotyped etc.

it is rediculous.

maybe in lybia or iran. or maybe if I had been raised catholic and quit I could see my family riding me over atheism.... but otherwise no.
So it just doesn't exist because one person in the entire world hasn't experienced it. Eh...
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:16 PM #48
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
So it just doesn't exist because one person in the entire world hasn't experienced it. Eh...
If you go you're whole life without experiencing a stereotype that you are part of, then it obviously isn't a huge thing (atleast in the culture you are part of).

Note I am talking about a sociological use of the word stereotype.
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 PM #49
vanquish_v12
 
 
vanquish_v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Atlanta, Ga
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phil.McGraw View Post
for the record I spent 4 years in steel fab before returning to school.

I have never in my life met one person who has said "your an atheist? wow! I thought (insert negative prejudice towards atheism here)"

since I have never seen it, never heard of it in real life, and honestly, this might be the first time in my E life I have heard reference to atheists meing stereotyped etc.

it is rediculous.

maybe in lybia or iran. or maybe if I had been raised catholic and quit I could see my family riding me over atheism.... but otherwise no.
Most people, upon finding out a person they know is a non-believer, don't come straight out and say "I thought those people are evil" or whatever. Most people aren't nearly radical enough for that, and probably don't harbor any conscious hatred of non-believers. It's just an unconscious stereotype that they probably aren't even aware they have until it's challenged by meeting an atheist who they have a lot in common with.

But they may say something like "wow, I never would have expected that" or "I'm really surprised", and if you discuss it further with them you'll find that they assumed you were a believer because you seem like a normal, decent person, just like them, although they won't come right out and say it.

Dr. Phil, I don't know if you're being your usual entertaining gadfly/troll self or if you're serious. But I do know people who have had serious issues with their parents when they revealed they didn't believe in god. Down here in the bible belt it isn't very unusual at all. I knew a college freshman who died, and his parents didn't let some of his best friends attend the funeral because the parents accused them of turning their son into an atheist. These are kids who took their friend in and let him live at their houses when his own parents kicked him out for telling them he didn't believe in god. And he wasn't a trouble maker, just a normal guy. I have plenty of anecdotes about these situations. Now certainly these are extreme cases, but they aren't THAT uncommon, although how frequently these things happen may depend on the area you live in.


Alright that's a big enough wall of text.

tldr: most religious people just have naive misconceptions about atheists which are easily dispelled, but there are some crazies out there who really do have conscious hatred of them. Even if you haven't experienced either of these cases, they're out there and more prevalent than you might think.
__________________
http://www.tribal-paintball.com/tog/index.php?
Feedback
"Originally posted by E-lectronic: and thats why god created WAS."
"Originally posted by Darryl Hadfield: Don't be silly. God doesn't make crap."

Last edited by vanquish_v12 : 12-21-2009 at 04:52 PM.
vanquish_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM #50
markcheb
surrender...don't move
 
markcheb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: across the Jordan river
I suppose there's also a stereotype against drug using, alcoholic, lazy kids also since they get kicked out of their houses all the time.

Or maybe against good kids who have rotten parents.

Or maybe parents and kids quarrel and grief causes people to do things they may not do so otherwise.

Or maybe people just like to get along with people and when faith comes up people act funny cuz "we don't wanna offend" or "I wanna be offended" or a combination of the two.
__________________
Which thief ~»††«~ are you?
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM #51
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
If you go you're whole life without experiencing a stereotype that you are part of, then it obviously isn't a huge thing (atleast in the culture you are part of).

Note I am talking about a sociological use of the word stereotype.
You didn't make any sense. Not that I expected you to judging by your previous posts.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:14 PM #52
Dr.Phil.McGraw (Banned)
I am a doctor, seriously!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: at Harpo industrial chem
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish_v12 View Post


kidding.

I can see (as you stated) extrememly religious parents kicking their kids out of the house. common practice amongst JW's (happened to a friend of mine for smoking a joint)

but that is not the issue.

the issue I was addressing was one of a stranger/friend making prejudicial remarks to me as a "non believer" (Im agnostic, but if asked what religion I am I will say none.... or lie and say Im jewish)

never happened. never heard of it happening.

family is different. and perhaps if someone were to quit their church I could see the pastor visiting them and telling horror stories about atheists and agnostics burning in hell etc.

then again.... I am canadian.
like I said a friend of mine is millitantly religious, her parents were crazy about it. and she honestly thinks that people who do not regularly attend christian church service go to hell. but she still hangs out and drinks with us. swears like a sailor and ****s random strangers. so no.... she doesnt burn science books on lawns and scream "keep walkin' no faithy!" at anyone who doesnt wear a crucifix necklace.

probably different in the bible belt area.

still, I dont see it being bad enough for non believers to try to pull the victim card.
Dr.Phil.McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 PM #53
vanquish_v12
 
 
vanquish_v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Atlanta, Ga
 has been a member for 10 years
^I would agree that, for the most part, you don't hear prejudicial remarks about non-believers. I'm speaking more of misconceptions that believers may have about non-believers, but it is unusual that people get nasty about it. Usually they're simply surprised when they find out a normal person can be a non-believer, and that's the extent of it. It's only the Westboro nutcases and people like that who are openly prejudicial, and those kinds of people will hate on pretty much anyone. So yeah, generally speaking, non-believers don't have grounds for pulling the victim card. If an atheist guy hooks up with a christian girl, you're probably not gonna see a bunch of bible-beaters forming a lynch mob to go take care of the "uppity atheist boy". (Although, in some families, her parents might not be too happy about it)


And yes, things are indeed different in the bible belt. If you're ever bored, google "Bob Jones University". I went to college at a school in the same town as BJU, and that place is into some scary ****.
__________________
http://www.tribal-paintball.com/tog/index.php?
Feedback
"Originally posted by E-lectronic: and thats why god created WAS."
"Originally posted by Darryl Hadfield: Don't be silly. God doesn't make crap."

Last edited by vanquish_v12 : 12-21-2009 at 08:55 PM.
vanquish_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:09 PM #54
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phil.McGraw View Post
then again.... I am canadian.
Maybe that's it. Most non-Theists in America have experienced this. Our society is a lot different. Socially, we're lagging behind you and Europe.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM #55
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
You didn't make any sense. Not that I expected you to judging by your previous posts.
How didn't that make sense?

If you go you're whole life without experiencing a stereotype that you are part of, then it obviously isn't a huge thing (atleast in the culture you are part of)

But you wouldn't understand because you're stupid (I can do it, too)
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 PM #56
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
How didn't that make sense?

If you go you're whole life without experiencing a stereotype that you are part of, then it obviously isn't a huge thing (atleast in the culture you are part of)

But you wouldn't understand because you're stupid (I can do it, too)
Or you just haven't experienced it specifically? I mean there is more than one Canadian agnostic or atheist. Really man, do yourself a favor and think before you post.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 PM #57
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
If you can go your entire life without experiencing a stereotype than I would say that the region doesn't have a huge problem with stereotyping of that person. Doesn't mean that it isn't there, but it's not a huge problem. Think of all the real stereotyping that American has given out (slavery, enternment camps, homosexuals) and you are really gonna complain about stereotypes against athiests?
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:27 PM #58
Dr.Phil.McGraw (Banned)
I am a doctor, seriously!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: at Harpo industrial chem
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
. Think of all the real stereotyping that American has given out (slavery, enternment camps, homosexuals) and you are really gonna complain about stereotypes against athiests?
my point exactly.
Dr.Phil.McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 PM #59
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
If you can go your entire life without experiencing a stereotype than I would say that the region doesn't have a huge problem with stereotyping of that person. Doesn't mean that it isn't there, but it's not a huge problem. Think of all the real stereotyping that American has given out (slavery, enternment camps, homosexuals) and you are really gonna complain about stereotypes against athiests?
I already said I wasn't comparing this to those issues. I'm just saying it's very prevalent and that there are a lot of very ignorant people in America. I don't understand how that's so hard to believe.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 AM #60
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
I already said I wasn't comparing this to those issues. I'm just saying it's very prevalent and that there are a lot of very ignorant people in America. I don't understand how that's so hard to believe.
all i said was that it isn't a huge issue. which it isn't. never said it wasn't there. conversation over.

christ, it's someone's time of month
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:44 AM #61
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
all i said was that it isn't a huge issue. which it isn't. never said it wasn't there. conversation over.

christ, it's someone's time of month
Not a huge issue to you, but to others it might be. And there are certainly serious implications to it. Did you know there are states that preclude atheists from holding office? Don't be a ******* man.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:03 AM #62
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Don't be a ******* man.
I'm being civil. You're the one flipping ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Did you know there are states that preclude atheists from holding office?
Now that I find interesting. Care to share?
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:07 AM #63
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
I'm being civil. You're the one flipping ****.
This is not civil:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
christ, it's someone's time of month
You're also being a ******* by basically saying that because a problem doesn't affect you or one other person, then it isn't a big deal. It kind of is to some people. Who are you to tell them they should drop it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
Now that I find interesting. Care to share?
Arkansas, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas all have different clauses in their constitutions which say that people who don't believe in God can't hold public offices.

Google it.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump