PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 PM #1
tipsyfry
ridonkolous

What is this religion?

I heard it a few days ago and it seemed really cool. I can't remember what the title of it was though.

It's not really a religion, but it states that you don't really know what to believe due to there not being enough information? Or something like that... i'm very confused on what it was called.

Pretty sure it started with an A to, and no its not athiest.

tipsyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM #2
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
Agnosticism.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM #3
tipsyfry
ridonkolous

My man, thank you.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 PM #4
P0GU3
Feast on The Beat

There is PAP and TAP differentiates as well OP.

"Originally posted by Ripped2Shreds:<3 P0GU3's peepee."
Craft Beer Enthusiast

P0GU3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:31 PM #5
tipsyfry
ridonkolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0GU3 View Post
There is PAP and TAP differentiates as well OP.
Care to elaborate a little bit?

Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 PM #6
P0GU3
Feast on The Beat

Quote:
Dawkins divides agnosticism into TAP (temporary agnosticism in practice) and PAP (permanent agnosticism in principle)
Basically,
TAP= If one religion is proven one day you will 'belief' that.
PAP= You will always not know what to belief.

Am I right here? Someone check me!?

Craft Beer Enthusiast

Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 AM #7
RipItGreg9103
ØProving PandumonianiansØ

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Basically,

I believe you are sir.

Its been stated agnosticism is the most practiced religion world wide since most people honestly just dont know but many dont know it is a real religion. I had the same beliefs untill i was 17 then realized what Agnosticism was and that it described me and is now what i believe to be the only religion that really makes sense. I believe there is also another grouping for people that do not believe in gods but feel something bigger then all of us must exist out there.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 AM #8
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipItGreg9103 View Post
I believe there is also another grouping for people that do not believe in gods but feel something bigger then all of us must exist out there.
Spiritualism?
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM #9
tipsyfry
ridonkolous

Quote:
Basically,

Ah, right on. This is all pretty interesting to me since I just heard the term a few days ago and it pretty much relates to exactly how i've always felt.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM #10
P0GU3
Feast on The Beat

Good, at least I know I know I learned something so far.

Isn't it weird OP?

Craft Beer Enthusiast

Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 PM #11
tipsyfry
ridonkolous

Definitely, its cool though too because people can't really judge me by it. Not that I give a **** what they think anyways... but there isn't really a reputation that comes along with it. As far as I know haha.

Get what im saying though? For example:

(With all due respect)
Christians = Bible pushers
Jews = Goody goods
Athiests = Hardasses

It may not be true but I see those as the reputations given to those certain religions.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 PM #12
vanquish_v12

Ok, here's a stereotype that you can wear proudly, just for the fun of it.

An agnostic is basically an atheist with too little backbone to fully commit.

People will always judge you no matter what your beliefs are. And Christians generally believe you're going to hell whether you're agnostic, atheist, hindu, or whatever, doesn't matter what you are if you haven't accepted Jesus. So like you said, just don't give a **** about it.
"Originally posted by Darryl Hadfield: Don't be silly. God doesn't make crap."
vanquish_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 PM #13
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Ahdunnoyucantmakme.

It's very popular in america.

But I don't believe it's a religion, but more of a position one takes on beliefs.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:53 PM #14
tipsyfry
ridonkolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish_v12 View Post
Ok, here's a stereotype that you can wear proudly, just for the fun of it.

An agnostic is basically an atheist with too little backbone to fully commit.

People will always judge you no matter what your beliefs are. And Christians generally believe you're going to hell whether you're agnostic, atheist, hindu, or whatever, doesn't matter what you are if you haven't accepted Jesus. So like you said, just don't give a **** about it.
I do believe in god though, and thats about all I really know. I don't know how to live my life, or anything like that. Well I shouldnt say that I don't know how to live my life but more of a; I don't know the "right" way, if there even is one.

I sort of believe that there is good people, and there is bad people.. plain and simple. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post

But I don't believe it's a religion, but more of a position one takes on beliefs.
Isn't that what a religion is?

Last edited by tipsyfry : 12-17-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM #15
vanquish_v12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyfry View Post
I do believe in god though, and thats about all I really know. I don't know how to live my life, or anything like that. Well I shouldnt say that I don't know how to live my life but more of a; I don't know the "right" way, if there even is one.
It seems you depart from agnosticism in this respect, then. Agnostics generally don't take a stance one way or the other about god, they just say "I don't know, and can't possibly know, whether god exists or not" and leave it at that, although this varies. If you believe god exists then I would not say you're agnostic in the common sense (although I guess it is possible to BELIEVE god exists but still be agnostic by thinking it is impossible to KNOW if he exists)

Quote:
Depends on how you define religion. I wouldn't call atheism or agnosticism religions.

Just curious: if you have no other religious beliefs, what makes you think there is a god?
"Originally posted by Darryl Hadfield: Don't be silly. God doesn't make crap."
vanquish_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 PM #16
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
It seems you depart from agnosticism in this respect, then. Agnostics generally don't take a stance one way or the other about god, they just say "I don't know, and can't possibly know, whether god exists or not" and leave it at that, although this varies.
There's actually quite a few different shades of grey when it comes to Agnosticism. You're describing what's sometimes known as Strong Agnosticism. Where the belief is that one doesn't know if there is a deity or not, and neither can anyone else.

On the other end of the spectrum you have Agnostic Theism. Where one doesn't know for a fact if there is a deity or not, but there could be one, and chooses to believe in one anyways.

And then you get Agnostic Atheism. Where one doesn't know for a fact if there is a deity or not, but there could be one, and chooses to believe there is NOT one at all.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM #17
tipsyfry
ridonkolous

Quote:
It seems you depart from agnosticism in this respect, then. Agnostics generally don't take a stance one way or the other about god, they just say "I don't know, and can't possibly know, whether god exists or not" and leave it at that, although this varies. If you believe god exists then I would not say you're agnostic in the common sense (although I guess it is possible to BELIEVE god exists but still be agnostic by thinking it is impossible to KNOW if he exists)

Depends on how you define religion. I wouldn't call atheism or agnosticism religions.

Just curious: if you have no other religious beliefs, what makes you think there is a god?
Well, it might sound dumb but.. I feel almost guilty by not saying there isn't a God. My entire life i've been pushed towards christianity and being a believer, yet recently my family took a huge twist and turned their beliefs more towards mesianic jewish? I believe. I just turned 16 so i've got alot to learn, and I try not to wrap my life around religion right now, so what I believe & say now will most likely change in the future.

By not saying there is a God, I feel as if i'll go to hell. Which could also allude to that I believe in heaven & hell. I honestly just don't know the "right" thing to practice. Therefore i'd define myself as Agnostic.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 PM #18
Gisgo09
vGisgo

Quote:
No, religion is the belief in a deity/deities or supernatural being and the subsequent worship or devotion to it/them and the teachings of said being/s. What he described is a philosophy.

Quote:
Well, it might sound dumb but.. I feel almost guilty by not saying there isn't a God. My entire life i've been pushed towards christianity and being a believer, yet recently my family took a huge twist and turned their beliefs more towards mesianic jewish? I believe. I just turned 16 so i've got alot to learn, and I try not to wrap my life around religion right now, so what I believe & say now will most likely change in the future.

By not saying there is a God, I feel as if i'll go to hell. Which could also allude to that I believe in heaven & hell. I honestly just don't know the "right" thing to practice. Therefore i'd define myself as Agnostic.
If you truly want to find out what beliefs suit you best, you will need to forget everything that you have been indoctrinated with in the past and start over. Then read and learn as much as you can about different sets of beliefs and frankly read up on astronomy and the scientific history of the universe. Once you have enough knowledge you can make a truly informed and honest decision.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 PM #19
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
(With all due respect)
Christians = Bible pushers
Jews = Goody goods
Athiests = Hardasses
Gave me a chuckle. But who thinks athiests are hardasses? Never heard that one. But you don't get that many athiests here in south kentucky so what do I know. It's rebel country. Lol *nododgy*

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."

Last edited by 270KIDZ : 12-17-2009 at 11:58 PM.
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 AM #20
Gisgo09
vGisgo

^You probably don't get that many who are willing to admit it due to the stigma Christians put on atheism, but you might be surprised by how many atheist/agnostics there are around you.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:45 AM #21
FuzzyFish

Do atheists and agnostics even belong in the same sentence. When you think about it atheism is a FAITH. While agnostics are just uncertain/undecided...
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —George W Bush Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
FuzzyFish is offline   Reply With Quote