Community Focus

Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM #1
prien007
Sneaky

prien007 plays in the APPA D4 division
prien007 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
prien007 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
2010 Season Suggestion Box

I know its been kinda dead in here so I will start a new topic....
2010 Looks to be a great year for some quality ball. To get things started why don't we complain some.

Seriously though, I would like to add a few constructive suggestions to be considered for the coming year.

1. Although I have no problems with it, it was mentioned at almost every event by someone. Stacking or kneeling in the dead box. The rules we use make no mention of this but many people wondered why it was allowed. If the founding fathers want to talk it over and decide, I think it would help things to make a clear statement either way and it be listed on the seps site in the list of additional rules.

2. I know we a have the vague idea that fields should provide acceptable facilities and all, but some things should be considered required. One specific event this year, in my opinion, had an unacceptably low ref count. Although I know its hard to get the refs needed, having too few can make a bad day unfun. Oh yes, unfun. I don't care if they are unqualified, I want them on the field. My minimum, 6 per field.

3. No one likes sandbagging and the appa is meh. Sand bag in d4, I don't care, but extra diligence should be given to sandbagging in d5. It ruins the fun for teams starting out and those are the same teams we want to have a good time and move up.

I had a great time this year and wouldn't trade one second. Looking for to the '10.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 PM #2
barndawg
Dirty South Killers Capt

barndawg supports Team VICIOUS
barndawg posts videos on PbNation
barndawg plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by prien007 View Post
I know its been kinda dead in here so I will start a new topic....
2010 Looks to be a great year for some quality ball. To get things started why don't we complain some.

Seriously though, I would like to add a few constructive suggestions to be considered for the coming year.

1. Although I have no problems with it, it was mentioned at almost every event by someone. Stacking or kneeling in the dead box. The rules we use make no mention of this but many people wondered why it was allowed. If the founding fathers want to talk it over and decide, I think it would help things to make a clear statement either way and it be listed on the seps site in the list of additional rules.

2. I know we a have the vague idea that fields should provide acceptable facilities and all, but some things should be considered required. One specific event this year, in my opinion, had an unacceptably low ref count. Although I know its hard to get the refs needed, having too few can make a bad day unfun. Oh yes, unfun. I don't care if they are unqualified, I want them on the field. My minimum, 6 per field.

3. No one likes sandbagging and the appa is meh. Sand bag in d4, I don't care, but extra diligence should be given to sandbagging in d5. It ruins the fun for teams starting out and those are the same teams we want to have a good time and move up.

I had a great time this year and wouldn't trade one second. Looking for to the '10.

1. Haven't done SEPS yet this will be our first year so enlighten me on the dead box issue ?

2. Yeah i can agree 6 refs should be a good basic platform.

3. sandbagging it happens but it shouldn't and if you had a team say dominate and smash the whole series the year prior they should not be able to play in the same division the next year. Make them move up.

Back Player Gang

Sponsored BY
PaintballBunkerOnline
http://www.paintballbunkeronline.com
barndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:10 PM #3
prien007
Sneaky

prien007 plays in the APPA D4 division
prien007 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
prien007 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It was just that it seemed unclear through out the year. Some players and spectators didn't understand why refs would allow it because perhaps they were use to classic 5-man where stacking was frowned upon and against the rules. At other times refs would instruct players to stand abreast on one field because they shared this classic belief, while another field at the same event would allow it. I just think it should be clarified.

I'm really not talking about sandbagging in the traditional sense of one team playing down all year. I'm speaking to those individuals that play down in one or two events. Appa isn't perfect, but it was obvious.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 PM #4
underpressure69
Asylum What !!!!!

underpressure69 plays in the PSP
underpressure69 plays in the MiLP
underpressure69 plays in the APPA D3 division
hey is the skills playing open next season
underpressure69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 PM #5
DYECASTDAD

DYECASTDAD helped look for balloons
Hey guys.. Im the current manager for Team DyeCast here in Memphis. We are planning on playing in the seps series this year. Could you fill me in a little on the "sandbaggin" ? and the Dead box issue ? Not really clear on this .. thanks ..
Guerrilla Air
DYECASTDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:01 PM #6
Thunderstick
MacDev 4 Life

has been a member for 10 years
The deadbox issue is the practice of lining up or stacking your dead players in the dead box so that the opposing team cannot count your eliminated players. Also includes sitting or crouching in the dead box. Not that it is in a rule book currently, but it is considered by most to be in poor taste or unethical in the current paintball format.

SEPS is hands down the best 5 man value around. Offers a full season, 8 events, excellent competition at local fields. It is the best way that I have found to support local paintball and the fields that have been around for some time.

Sandbagging is in the D4 and D5 brackets. D5 is for beginners, which is supposed to let the beginners play and get accustomed to tournament caliber ball. We have had teams that were capable of competing in a higher division but opted to remain in a lower division due to their ranking allowing it. We did have more teams in open than ever before this season. If some of the D4 teams sack up, there should be a better distribution of teams that are playing where they are competitive.
KILLING FOR ASYLUM
Thunderstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM #7
Collin50060
@cepcherry

Collin50060 is a Professional paintball player
Collin50060 plays in the PSP
Collin50060 plays in the MiLP
Collin50060 donated to help Peyton Trent
I think for finals, at least in open, there should not be a round-robin and instead take the top 4 and have a best of 3 semi-finals and finals. Make things a little more exciting. It's very frustrating to try and focus on points and such in a finals game. I think with a playoff system everyone would see more exciting matches.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM #8
JamWade

JamWade plays in the PSP
JamWade plays in the MiLP
JamWade supports Cereal Killerz 2
JamWade plays in the APPA D3 division
I have wanted a best of 3 for finals for a while not everyone likes it but would make the "better" teams shine

Old feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p... wade+feedback
JamWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM #9
Collin50060
@cepcherry

Collin50060 is a Professional paintball player
Collin50060 plays in the PSP
Collin50060 plays in the MiLP
Collin50060 donated to help Peyton Trent
I kid you not, I had almost you're exact words in there but decided against it. I like the way you think. =)
Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 PM #10
andyconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpressure69 View Post
hey is the skills playing open next season
Skills will not be putting in a team for the 2010 season. We will return in 2011 in the open division. Thanks for asking though.
andyconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:18 PM #11
DYECASTDAD

DYECASTDAD helped look for balloons
Best of three for finals to me seems to be a better way of doing things. Gives teams a better chance of winning the finals even though their points are not at the top so to speak.
Guerrilla Air
DYECASTDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:18 AM #12
barndawg
Dirty South Killers Capt

barndawg posts videos on PbNation
barndawg plays in the APPA D4 division
or do a finals in a race to format that way it makes you really have to work for your win.

Back Player Gang

Sponsored BY
PaintballBunkerOnline
http://www.paintballbunkeronline.com
barndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 PM #13
AJUprising

AJUprising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AJUprising supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamWade View Post
I have wanted a best of 3 for finals for a while not everyone likes it but would make the "better" teams shine
I definitely like that format, that is what the NPPL use to do in the Semis/Finals. Its a better way to ensure the better team wins than some fluke lucky game.
AJUprising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:40 AM #14
joey123091

joey123091 plays in the APPA D5 division
my ideas: best of three finals.
no stacking, obviously
sandbaggers made to move up if obvious
refs, do what is possible, roughly six is ideal
joey123091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM #15
4banger
AP Factory

4banger plays in the PSP
4banger donated to help Peyton Trent
4banger plays in the APPA D4 division
Great post Shane. Keep the suggestions coming. Believe it or not, We really do listen to the players needs and wants to direct our decisions for each year. Brent, Kevin and I will be meeting soon to finalize the changes and schedule for the 2010 year.

We appreciate all the past players and teams for the SEPS. To those who have not played a SEPS yet, please allow us to win you over this year. We try to run the best regional 5 man series at a reasonable cost with excellent fields and reffing. Thanks,

mark
65 South/AP Factory Sponsored by Ourselves now. lol
4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 PM #16
MT_BlueReign8
Practice Hard, Win Easy

MT_BlueReign8 supports Cereal Killerz 2
MT_BlueReign8 supports Team VICIOUS
MT_BlueReign8 is an NCPA player
MT_BlueReign8 plays in the APPA D4 division
Stacking - I personally have no problem with it as long as everyone is standing. Standing players still five you the ability to count players. In our league every player must be standing.

Finals Format - My Suggestion, Top 4 of 12 or few, Top 6 of 12 or more. If there are 4 teams we do 1 v 4 best of 3 and 2 v 3 best of 3 for seeding, however that can add a lot of games and paint consumption. Round robin for seeding purposes, then 1 plays 2 best of 3 for 1st and 2nd, 3 and 4 play best of 3 for 3rd and 4th. This is how the collegiate league works and is a good format that most teams agree with. It brings in the top 25%+- of each event. Then the best of 3 format proves who is ultimately the best team on that day.

Sandbagging - Is going to happen, nothing you can do about it and with APPA changing almost every year it is something we have to deal with, however I do think that if certain teams are winning every event against every team then they need to be pushed up if those games are not competitive. For the sake of the game if nothing else. If they can do that in the OPEN division then they deserve it and I am sure the SEPS would be proud for that team to represent them anywhere they play.

#8 - Chuck Robinson

2010 - SEPS D4 Series Champions
2010 - MSXL D4 Series Runner Up
MT_BlueReign8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM #17
4banger
AP Factory

4banger plays in the PSP
good suggestions, keep them coming.

I like the best of three format also but will have to look at the time constraints involved in doing it that way. Most events are all day and get done just before dark. I will propose it and we will discuss it. thanks,

mark
Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM #18
govols18
D-Marb

govols18 plays in the PSP
govols18 is an NCPA player
govols18 is an NCPA National Champion
govols18 plays in the APPA D4 division
Stacking - it can happen, keep them standing. Saying no stacking is dumb.
Refs - 6 who have read the rulebook. Don't just put 6 players on the field.
Sandbagging - if you have to sandbag to get a plastic trophy...congratulations on your life

Finals - Depends on how much time wants to be spent somewhere. Personally, i think that you take the top four after prelims then 1 v 4 play 2 out of 3 and then 2 v 3 play 2 out of 3. Then same thing for first and second place and then again for third and fourth. Playing a ridiculous amount of games for finals is unnecessary, and i think that my option is the absolute MOST that should ever be played.

Enjoy.
Tennessee Volunteers #18

2010-2011 Class A National Champions

Troopers
govols18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:07 PM #19
4banger
AP Factory

4banger plays in the PSP
regular finals is 6 games. 2/3 finals is 8-12 games. 2/3 will add about 30 minutes to an hour on the day. we will discuss it. thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM #20
MT_BlueReign8
Practice Hard, Win Easy

MT_BlueReign8 supports Cereal Killerz 2
MT_BlueReign8 supports Team VICIOUS
MT_BlueReign8 is an NCPA player
MT_BlueReign8 plays in the APPA D4 division
Joey can confirm but in the NCPA with the new best of 3 format we have actually shortened events from doing it the traditional round robin format. You just turn them XBALL style with when, for instance, 1 v 2 plays game one, 2 v 3 has 2-3 minutes to be on the field for their game, and it continues on. If game 3 isn't needed then you can add some time on for the break if the other bracket needs game 3.

#8 - Chuck Robinson

2010 - SEPS D4 Series Champions
2010 - MSXL D4 Series Runner Up
MT_BlueReign8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 PM #21
war_kid
NK NK NK NK NK

war_kid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
war_kid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
war_kid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
war_kid is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Since stacking in the deabox isn't in the current rule book I really dont have anything against it. At one event I remembered all 5 players on a team where in the deadbox. One players was standing and the other four players were sitting down in a straight row behind him.. The other team was completely clueless and just sat back and shot at empty bunkers calling out "where are they? where are they?" until the clock eventually ran out. During this whole ordeal I was on the sidelines laughing my *** off. I will agree that this was an unfair gesture to the opposing team, but in such cases as this where the other team was "to afraid" to move up the field I feel that they deserved to loose the possible points they could have obtained. Like I said before, I dont really care about stacking in the deadbox so I'd go with or against it. it's whatever.

Regarding the issue to refs, I will agree that this was major problem in the SEPS series this year. Several times throughout the year there was events that had very inexperienced refs with LOW numbers on the field. Reffing has and always will be an issue in this sport. But I feel that 6 refs on the field with one head ref (equaling 7 refs obviously...) would be a good number. These 6 refs would have to read the rulebook and take a written test over all the current rules and regulations before reffing an event. I think these refs should obviously be paid for thier help on the field, wheather it be some sort of sponsorship agreement from the host field or simply a case of paint. I think the head refs on both fields should be certified psp refs. The head refs would go over the rules and regulations once more with all the other 6 refs on thier field the morning of the event. The head refs should get paid for thier part and I honestly wouldnt mind paying a little more on my entry fee for this type of quality ref.

As far as sandbagging goes, it's always going to happen. The appa isn't always going to be alble to weed out a seasoned tournament player. Lots of times there will be experienced players who have just played tournaments that dont use the appa, leaving the program uselss. Hopefully these players and other players that are perfectly capable of playing in higher divisions will do so. But if they arent ranked high enough to be kicked out of d5 or d4 and want to play these divisions, technically, they have the right to :/