Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-01-2011, 01:42 PM #106
Boom Master
Scenario Player

My youngest was 12 when he and his 13 year old brother got me into paintball. He is 29 now so I've played the sport for 17 years now. I'm 62, diabetic, and have bad knees from driving a motorcycle over the top of a Buick on my way to work when I was 19. The boys don't play anymore. They've moved on to marriage, kids, jobs, etc.

Wanting to be 'good' parents, we tried to get out boys into the all the organized sports. Little league, soccer, football, etc. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? So they don't start running around with the 'wrong crowd', doing drugs, and are too busy to get into trouble. So we drag them to practice and trash every weekend going to a games. The kids didn't get excited about any of it. Just a hassle after the 'new' wore off. Our role as parents were chaufers to and from all these activities after paying the appropriate fees and buying their uniforms and equipment. It occured to us we weren't doing all that much "parenting". Maybe some cheering for their self esteem.

We gave up on 'organized' Sports before they became teenagers. The wife and I decided to do our own activities. On Our schedule and not the soccer leagues. We decided to parent our kids. Spend time WITH the kids, talking to the kids, having fun WITH the kids. Teaching our kids OUR values... Time to talk about Stuff......

Bought a couple of canoes, fishing gear, and did float / camping trips down on of the many scenic streams here in Missouri. Bought a ski/fishing boat and went to the lake on weekends in the summer. Fished and skied. They brought their friends too. Important it get to know your kids friends. Rode bicycles together after work. As they got older, they were introduced to hunting with dad. It took the oldest TWO seasons to learn where to NOT point that .22 rifle out in the woods before I gave him the bolt and a 22 round to shoot a squirrel with. We talked about a LOT of stuff sitting out in the woods besides not waving a barrel in my face. You can hunt with a camera too. More challenging actually. The other had no interest in hunting. FYI, I'm not a 'gun nut'. I hunt but I would have no problem if they eliminated hand guns which have no function except to kill other people. Maybe if I lived in a bad neighborhood I might feel differently and own one.

Which brings up the whole 'paintball guns and the whole gun violence' issue that many parents have about paintball. You will get as many opinions as people you talk to. So here is MINE...

Like it or not, whether the founding father foresaw what they started with the 2nd Ammendment, America is in love with guns. It is part of our culture and heritage. It is simply NOT going to go away in your childs lifetime. Your kids will grow up in that culture, watch the TV and movies, etc, etc. We cannot "Protect them" from it. We should try but we can't raise them to be gun free any more than drug free or abstaining from sex. They will become their own person on their 18th birthday which IS just around the corner... We have to accept all those parts of our culture and teach them to be responsible in it.. All we can do is give them our values about what is important. There is a HUGE difference between being a hunter and a murderer. It is that hard to teach that to our kids? No.

If you disagee or had to think about that, maybe you aren't parenting as much as you should.

Paintball is fudamentally a game of TAG which kids play naturally with or without a paintball markers. You can see it on any playground on any day. Yes, it is all dressed up to look like guns, the military, simulated warfare, etc. Kids are attracted to it so they market it that way. It does not teach our kids to be violent. Paintball is a non contact sport. Strictly enforced there is no phyical contact between players. Less of a contact sport than basketball. Players that push, shove, or worse are taken off the field if not banned permanently. Getting in someones face to express their 1st ammendments rights had better not include cussing or yelling or they will be given a time out from play and informed that is not acceptable in this sport. Discipline, restraint, controlling your temper with a full load of adrenelin and using the referees to settle any issues IS what the sport teaches. Good values for life skills. Now what happens on the back forty acres without any adult supervision can be different and I do not recommend unsupervised play for kids and young adults.

Something that few people know is some decades back the US military recuiters saw paintball and that 16-25 male, warrior want-a-be as a perfect place to recuit at. They quickly discovered it is NOT. The paintball crowd will NOT sign up for combat MOS. They want the non combat, technical jobs etc. The recuiters now spend their recuiting dollars for that type of solder at the technical schools and colleges. Not in the paintball crowd.
The FIRST thing you learn in paintball is that it is the guy you DIDN'T See that gets you. Paintballs have a functional range out to about 35 yards. It doesn't take very many IQ points for your kid to figure out how lethal it could be if the opposing guy had a high powered rifle using REAL bullets with a range of 200 yards or more. So if you son plays paintball, he is LESS likely to enlist for a combat MOS. It is a fact.

Testosterone in teenagers is also fact. They are risk takers, adreniline junkies.
They want to try new things especially anything that is taboo or forbidden. My youngest was the dare devil. He was 5 years old when mom looked out intot he backyard and saw him 20 feet up in a pine tree and still climbing... Many other examples along the way.

I can think of a lot of things young men do for excitement that paintball would be a good substitue for instead. The leading cause of death in the 10-25 bracket for males is trauma..... I drove an ambulance in college. Too many body bags. Now, I do therapy for a living. See the ones that didn't get killed. I play Humpty Dumpty for a living. Help the surgeons put the pieces back together again. Like the nursery rhyme says sometimes we can't put all the pieces back together again. Too many sad stories...

It is a unproven fact but I believe that any teenage boy's functional IQ is divided by the number of boys in the group when in an unsupervised setting. They do incredibly stupid things in a group that they would never think of, much less do by themselves. That is why organized sports are good in high school... They are supervised and someone ELSE gets to do the supervision so we don't have to wonder what they are up to between when they get off from school and Mom and Dad get home from work...

Paintball is a somewhat expensive sport. Especially for a 13 year old. BUT Mom and I quickly discovered that the boys would be willing to DO just about anything for paintball money. They would put on laundry, fold clothes, vacume, learn to get dinner started, cut grass, clean gutters, wash and change oil in MY car for paintball money.... We enjoyed cutting the check to have our own personal slaves. They did a lot of work and played a LOT of paintball.

An unanticipated benefit of all that was they made fine catches for the girls. Handsome, Handy, Cooks, Vacumes, Does Laundry, not rich but had a Degree. They both got snatched right up and they had their pick of some really nice girls....

Get them started before they can get a job at Taco Bell. When they can get their OWN jobs which I endorse as a parent, you also have to let them have the freedom to spend their money on what they want. To learn the value of a buck. It might not be things we approve of.

Dad's are weird. OUR job is to go out and work and pay the bills. Mom raises the kids and brings home the other and sometimes LARGER paycheck... It is a cop out. Sorry dad... You are slacking. Yes, your teenage son doesn't want to have anything to do with you. He wants to hang with HIS friends and not you like he did a few years back when you had a buddy.

So DON'T let them get away with it. Be a parent. Anybody can play paintball. Or fish, or hunt or take pictures. FIND Something. Scenario games do not have to be physically demanding. We see lots of OLD guys like myself. Women and girls play. The players with physical limitations of age, obesity, emphysema, tend to be commanders and officers that don't run around all day making Ninja moves jumping into bunkers. You can be in a WHEELCHAIR and drive a paintball tank. There is something for everybody... When I started playing, we played rec ball and the boys wanted to be on the other side. They hunted the old man down. They kept SCORE who killed dad the most that day. Far enough and I discovered it was the only way to legal way to put bruises on your own children. It is a good Christian game. Better to Give than Receive and I could afford the better equipment. They had to collect gift certificates on birthdays, Christmas, and save money. And I got to spend a LOT of time with my teenage sons.....

So when they turn 16 what which would you prefer they spend their hard earned money on: Fast Cars, Fast Girls, or Fast shooting paintball markers?

If they are into paintball, they can't afford all three with the money THEY earn at Taco Bell.

I never offered them date/gas money and they never asked. We did spend/invest a small fortune doing things as a family and being parents WITH our kids.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 04-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Boom Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 PM #107
IAPBMom

IAPBMom donated to help Peyton Trent
My son was 10 and he saw paintball on TV. He said he wanted to give it a try. We had to wait until April because we are in Iowa and that is when the fields open around here. The Saturday came and my son, husband & I all headed to the field. We rented markers and my son immediately fell in love. That summer, he did not miss a weekend of playing.

We bought him a cheap Spyder & a mask and for his birthday, he got pants & a jersey. By the end of the summer, we had bought him an Ion and the next spring, he bought a used Ion with ups. He continued playing and ended up quitting show choir, football, soccer & basketball. He decided to put all his energy in to paintball.

He is now 16 and still playing. He has played in several national (PSP) events as well as many regional events. The team he plays for is 2 hours away so we drive pretty much every weekend for him to practice. Yes it is a time commitment but something I would never trade. Not too many 16 year olds enjoy spending time with their Mom.

Yes, then there is the financial commitment. My son works at McDonalds and pays for lots of his paintball stuff. When he is short, we definitely help him to make sure he is able to practice or compete. Many would say that it is expensive and I do not disagree but it is his hobby of choice so we support him 100%.

No matter what your kid choses, support them with all your heart & energy.
IAPBMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:57 PM #108
BOBBYDUKES95

BOBBYDUKES95 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThePumpPlaya View Post
hmm im 16 straight up paintballer and honestly my mom/dad has never even seen me play just wanted to say all of you dads playing with your kids i would settle for my mom/dad just waching a couple times.

in other words good job your all great dads/moms.
im going throught the same thing, i just wish that my dad or mom would come watch at the least. Ive asked multiply times and he made up plenty of excuses idk what else to do. i support my self in the sport and he is still kinda against me playing. he doesnt understand how much joy i get out of playing even if its playing 1 or 2 games.
(> <) copy bunny into your profile help him achieve world domination
BOBBYDUKES95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 PM #109
TheMightyMuffin

TheMightyMuffin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheMightyMuffin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
My Parents are divorced so i live with my mom and one day a freind of hers came over to our house and said we should go play paintball the last day of winter break of 07 i think Even though i was really scared thier were alot of good players helping i got hooked right away and my mom supported me the whole way. What was cool for me is that should would exactly come out to the feild and play with me. I stoped playing for a awhile for family problems but after i asked her if we could go one weekend like 2 months ago and kept playing every weekend been really Fun. If it wasnt for her coming out to the feilds with me and supporting me the whole way i probably wouldnt even be making this post
TheMightyMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 AM #110
Boom Master
Scenario Player

BOBBYDUKES95

Tell your parents they are slacking on their jobs as a parents. They are SUPPOSED to know what their kids are doing and BE a part of YOUR life.

This post if by a GRAND DAD........

Mothers day is coming up. They should let MOMS play for free. Shortly after is FATHERS day. They DO let Dads play for free...

You don't have to......
Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM #111
BOBBYDUKES95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
BOBBYDUKES95

Tell your parents they are slacking on their jobs as a parents. They are SUPPOSED to know what their kids are doing and BE a part of YOUR life.

This post if by a GRAND DAD........

Mothers day is coming up. They should let MOMS play for free. Shortly after is FATHERS day. They DO let Dads play for free...
they know what im doing they just dont wanna partake in it or even show up, and if i tell them there slacking as parents they would say we put a roof over ur head and feed me. but im not trying to bash on my parents i love em and thank them for letting play paintball. i just wish my dad would come and at least watch once and see why i love it soo much

Last edited by BOBBYDUKES95 : 04-24-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 PM #112
jeremyx841 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup'mango View Post
Dont complain, im 15 and payed for every marker i own and get very little help from my parents on holidays. i shoot an oil slick pm7 which i wpayed 850 for by myself and baught my hopper, pump gun, cockers, pmr's, and my pimp. all with my own money. My parents have came and supported me last year in my first ever tourney and acutually payed for a case of paint which was very generous. They enjoy seeing me play because it makes me happy. but still little money is given to me for paintball. But baseball they buy anything i want. What is sad is my dad cant play due to blood thinners and cant bruise, and my mom just wont play
i have almost the situation, my parents are same with paintball and baseball in the exact way im 13 and ive been playing rec speedball since i was 9, i got real good and i tear up rec ball now, however my parents refuse to let me be a "paintball kid" and i cant play tournes. my parents drop me off, and pick me up 5 hours later. it sucks
jeremyx841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 AM #113
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
we put a roof over ur head and feed me.
Roof over their head and feed you? That is what you do for LIVESTOCK.

There is a little more to being a parent than that.

The're slacking and I say so. Tried that myself and it was a mistake. Worked 70 hours a week. Making Big Bucks. Had their college fund IN the bank. Doing my job to pay the bills. Made money so Mom didn't have to work with two babies and toddlers.

Came home early one Saturday and my toddlers boys were afraid of me. I was a stranger because they rarely saw me when they were awake. They didn't know WHO I was. My wife pointed this out as a problem. I ignored her. Making money is what Dads and Husbands are supposed to do. So she rephrased it in terms I could understand. "Whats the point of making all that money if you are paying it out in alimony and child support. You need to be a father and a husband too." Shortly after that, I also had a bleeding stress ulcer at 32 years old. Got 4 units of packed red blood cells even though I needed 6. This was right after HIV hit the blood supply but before they had a test for the blood. Drip, drip, drip, right into my veins. Russian roulette with the blood supply times 4 units. Gives you time to think about your priorities in life.. So I finally got the message my wife and God was sending me and got with the program. One of the smart things I've done.

We raised two boys to be independently functioning, well adjusted, happily married, working steady jobs and being a Dad themselves. I'm a grandfather.... So that makes me an Expert.

Dad on bloodthinners? BUILD a paintball tank.. Let him drive all protected by the tank's 'armor' and netting. You can at least design and build it together. Family road trip to the scenario game. Everyone camps for free at the paintball field. Just spend time together as a family. When my wife goes she stays as the nearest motel with a pool. I pay for the jacuzzi room for my old tired bones after playing all day Sat. plus some good bourbon for medicinal purposes... Whatever but we do it together...

Show them my post.... Let me know what they think or they can post themselves..

You don't have to......
Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 PM #114
DionnnK

Let them play what they want.
DionnnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 PM #115
BOBBYDUKES95

well thats not the only thing they do. theyve supported me through anything ive done, baseball, wrestling, drumming, and many more. he hasnt missed a single one of my events that ive partaken in. they do, do more than just put a roof over my head and feed me. thats what i find difficult to understand, i know that this sport cost alot of money, he can attend all my other events but not one of my paintball stuff
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM #116
awsk7 (Banned)

i wish my parents were like that...all they say is "paintball is waayyy to expensive!!" (even though i have worked for all my gear and guns etc..and to all the people above me(dads, parents)i admire all of you and i wish my parents were like you....but i still love them..but i love paintball a lil more..hahaha jk
awsk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:01 AM #117
Boom Master
Scenario Player

What does you parents spend on Cable to watch the Sports? Go to games, bass fish, Beer and cigarattes, etc. The car basic transportation or does it have a lot of options. Point out they spend their money on what they want and you spend your money on what you want. That is how you learn the value of a buck. I still bend over to pick up pennies. Just for the excercise.

Hope your aren't just plain poor.

You don't have to......
Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM #118
rbrick220

rbrick220 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
rbrick220 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
rbrick220 plays in the APPA D5 division
rbrick220 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm a new dad and can't wait to take my little girl to her first outing.
rbrick220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 PM #119
Hebiki
Hebiki Design Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrick220 View Post
I'm a new dad and can't wait to take my little girl to her first outing.
im at that age.... where i still remember when i was a PUNK (looking back at it now) teenager... but old enough to understand how it is to be a parent. my son will be 2 in July. i cant wait til he's old enough to play paintball with me.

as for expensive? its more expensive to get therapy. imagine sitting on a couch telling some dr. your problem. i rather go out on the paintball field and express my "feelings" that way.

this is a great thread. hopefully in 8 years it'll still be around so i can post on my first pb day with my son
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM #120
DYNASTYxPRO
i love paintball

DYNASTYxPRO owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DYNASTYxPRO supports Team VICIOUS
DYNASTYxPRO posts videos on PbNation
hey chris . beautiful post btw. //// lol
DYNASTYxPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 PM #121
sam90
www.FXAnodizing.com

sam90 plays in the APPA D5 division
i dont under stand why 12 or 13 year old kids have like 2 -3 grand setup why would some one pay for that when they just tho it around

bob long vice rotor, ninja 50/4500

Eagle Scout
sam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:20 PM #122
wae55

I wish my mom and dad supported me, they hate the idea of paintball, they dont let me play the sport very often, and I have to pay for everything myself (which i understand, but I dont even get any paintball stuff for b-days, holidays, etc.). I've tried asking my mom and dad if they want to try but they say no because they sthink they'll get hurt, its no fun, and they dont like it. They dont support me in anything. They say i have enough, they put a roof over my head, and give me food. <-- apparently thats all I need
wae55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:54 PM #123
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
oh please, keep crying about your first world pre pubescent problems.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:21 PM #124
Truetilldeath683
Eatin Dye, ****tin Timmys

Truetilldeath683 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Truetilldeath683 supports Pev's Paintball
Truetilldeath683 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Truetilldeath683 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Truetilldeath683 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
First time i watched my step son play he took out a guy, unfortunately, that guy was my friend and was on his team. he came out and popped him right in the back He told Tyler (my stepson) that if he ever did that again He'd shoot him to teach him a lesson. awesome first game of real speedball

Truetilldeath683: I just hate luxes...too overrated and literally a lot of little kids have em.
XxPyRo1xX: That's because little kids have no friends and want someone/thing to talk to.
Truetilldeath683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 PM #125
ErrorCode6263
[insert cool phrase here]

ErrorCode6263 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ErrorCode6263 plays in the APPA D4 division
ErrorCode6263 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ErrorCode6263 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by wae55 View Post
I wish my mom and dad supported me, they hate the idea of paintball, they dont let me play the sport very often, and I have to pay for everything myself (which i understand, but I dont even get any paintball stuff for b-days, holidays, etc.). I've tried asking my mom and dad if they want to try but they say no because they sthink they'll get hurt, its no fun, and they dont like it. They dont support me in anything. They say i have enough, they put a roof over my head, and give me food. <-- apparently thats all I need
That is all they need to provide for you man. Everything else is a luxury. I pay for all of my own gear and make my money B/S/T local. Parents are normally opposed to the idea at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
oh please, keep crying about your first world pre pubescent problems.
Wow you are kind of a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truetilldeath683 View Post
First time i watched my step son play he took out a guy, unfortunately, that guy was my friend and was on his team. he came out and popped him right in the back He told Tyler (my stepson) that if he ever did that again He'd shoot him to teach him a lesson. awesome first game of real speedball
haha funny ****. I play back and have shot my teammates a few times when I first started out

YourPBFriend: Best new store around!
ErrorCode6263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM #126
DeadeyeDante
Booper of Noses...

DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends V
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VI
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VII
DeadeyeDante has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
DeadeyeDante supports Empire
I'll go ahead and share my story of how my dad and I bonded..

When I was younger, I was never really able to participate in any sports, due to have petit mal epilepsy from the time I was 3 to when I was 10 years old. I couldn't risk getting hit in pee wee football, and I played baseball for a season or two, but my seizures ended up being a cause for concern for the coach and everyone else, so I ended up being kind of forced out. I was in boy scouts for a while, and my dad was a Scout Master, but after a sort of internal power struggle with the group, my dad and I left. I never really was a sociable kid when I was younger, always kind of kept to myself. I was by no means maladjusted, I just didn't really have anything in common with anyone, until I was 11 years old.

I had just started middle school, and had gained a small group of friends, just from being new to the school and not everyone knowing me. One of my friends had heard about a thing called "paintball" and we agreed it all sounded really cool. We decided to plan a trip, 6 of us, to Paintball Daves in Milwaukee, WI. Unfortunately, my dad was the only one who could have driven us at the time (he was working 3rd shift for a police department). He had no problems taking us, but was a little concerned about the activity itself. I remember walking in, getting strapped with my PGP Pump Gun, and my 10 round tubes and red leather vest, and my dad talking to the ref. To this day, I don't know what the ref said to my dad, but he agreed to come stand in the ref box and watch. We played a full day, and my dad was laughing the entire time. He said he had a blast watching me play. He had been paintballing for the police department before, and had ended up with a nasty welt on his forehead, so he had been concerned it might cause issues with the seizures (by this point I hadn't had a seizure in over a year, but it was still a concern).

I remember my dad dropping off all of my friends that day, and he had a small smile on his face in the car. I have only seen that smile a couple of times in my life time, and that was the first time. I remember he looked at me and said "I am glad to see you are out there, making friends, and doing something you so obviously enjoy". I had a blast that day, but being only 11 at the time, going at a regular interval wasn't something I could do. However, that summer, my dad and I came to an agreement. Every week I would mow the lawn, trim the bushes and pick up the dog's "leavings" in the backyard, for 20 dollars a week. I remember being excited, as I could finally start saving up to break into the "semi auto" world of paintball. I purchased my first marker, a VL Maxis, a Brass Eagle CO2 tank, a PMI Shake 'n Shoot hopper, and a JT mask when I was 12. My dad played with me on occasion, but he always came to watch when I went, and always had a smile on his face when we left.

Flash forward a couple years, when I had a regular job as a bus boy at a pizza restaurant near my house. My dad was now regularly transporting a group of my friends to an out door field near my house, and had purchased a mask and a camera to record games (he had suffered an accident during a road stop, a car had hit his patrol car and he went over the hood and messed up his knee, making it hard for him to play). As we began to play more often, my dad was always there, making sure we had full pods ready to go, making sure we drank water and had air in our tanks. I can honestly say, it was something I looked forward to every two weeks when I went, and all my friends enjoyed it to. He may not have been able to play, but he was always happy to be there, and to make remarks on where I had been shot. He began to learn the game pretty well, and could identify 75-80% of what kind of markers people were shooting. Everytime though, I knew he was proud that I had found something that I had loved and had been able to stick with it, between this, martial arts,and high school wrestling, I had a busy schedule, but eventually paintball won out.

I am now 21 years old, currently enlisted in the USMC, but every time I go home on leave, I always go out with my dad and play paintball, and I always feel the same way I did when I first went, happy as hell that I had something that me and my dad could always share.
E-Flex Army

Last edited by DeadeyeDante : 12-28-2011 at 05:33 PM.
DeadeyeDante is offline   Reply With Quote