Ok, so I've decided to try a project idea I've had for a while, and since I've pretty much been doing research and practicing for it for my senior project at school, I figured I'd give it a shot over winter break.
So the idea is the make a body, and eventually frame, that is completely free of metals. The main structural material will be carbon fiber with a layer of Kevlar in the breach area for wear resistance, and a layer of carbon and colored fiberglass on the exterior to make it look pretty.
The body will be based on shocker internals since I have tons of spares kicking around and it's a prety simple shape to work around. The plan is to make a multi-piece delrin "male" plug of the main chamber for the internals, breach, and barrel threads; as well as one for the air passage chambers. The Kevlar and carbon will then be molded around these plugs and vacuum infused. All the parts will be held in the correct locations during infusion with delrin machined pieces. The delrin pieces will be permanently become part of the body and will have carbon infused around them. Threaded areas will have several extra layers of carbon in case the threads strip out and I need to make a custom helicoil to put in.
To my knowledge, this is the first time someone has tried this. At least here on PBN. I have all the carbon on order and hopefully it will be here by the end of next week. I'd love to hear comments, suggestions, or concerns people have.
So in order to keep everyone up to date without reading thru dozens of pages i'll recap highlights here.
currently at body 3.0
Infused plenty stong but had poor surface finish on the inside where the orings are suppose to seal.
Fixed the oring surface finish by infusing delrin rings inside the body where the orings sit. Also added delring inserts for the barrel threads and bolt guide threads. Body 2.0 on the bottom, body 1.0 on top.
turns out the barrel thread and bolt guide inserts had a tendency to break free so I had to install pins to keep them from rotating when installing the barrel or bolt guide
next step was to make the air passages. This was done with smaller carbon tubes:
Next was preparing the exterior shape. Used expanding foam for the main structure support
exterior carbon added:
Finally got the manifold installed and pressure applied. bolt cycles, but I think one of the air passages isn't quite sealed correctly so it's allowing air to backflow thru the noid.
Looks like it's time to start:
started out very similar to body 2.0 with delrin inserts
but switched to a 2x2 twin instead of a sleeve material
Major differnece is I tried a new method of securing the air transfer tubes to the body
assembled and tested. had leaks around where the delrin mounts mated to the carbon body
Body 4.0 here we come!