PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-22-2009, 01:27 PM #1
enjoipaintball

some nooby questions

okay

1. how long untill paintballs are considered "old"?
2. approx. how long will a 12oz co2 last?
3. should a gun be stored with the tank on it or off?

4. what should i use to clean the internals of my ray?

5. what are some key maintenance tips?

"Paintball...My anti-drug. Because when your addicted to paintball how can you possibly afford drugs."

Last edited by enjoipaintball : 11-23-2009 at 08:34 PM.
enjoipaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 PM #2
cowboy_dan

Stingray I and II are old for sure. How old is old? As ironic as it sounds, that depends on how old you are. 1997 isn't that old for me, but it is for my little brother.

A 9oz lasts me about 2.5-3 hours of indoor play, about 2 min on, 2 min off. So maybe 75-90 minutes of continuous play.

I have my barrel wrapped in electrical tape. Makes it dark like the rest of the body, and if you wrap it where the barrel inserts into the body, it can reduce the slop between barrel and the body, giving it slightly better accuracy.

I found that polishing the hammer, bolt, hammer tube, barrel, and sear made it smoother and reduced the trigger pull. It took a LONG time (almost a week) to get it as polished like I wanted, but it did improve the gun.

If you take the gun apart to clean or work on it, screw the velocity screw in completely before inserting the hammer tube into the gun body. If the screw is backed out, it can hit on the body and keep the hammer tube from sliding the last about 1/8" into the body.

RIP Combat Cave

Last edited by cowboy_dan : 11-22-2009 at 03:54 PM.
cowboy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 PM #3
enjoipaintball

thanks for all the info but i meant "paintballs" sorry

"Paintball...My anti-drug. Because when your addicted to paintball how can you possibly afford drugs."
Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 PM #4
melkson
Raptor Guru

1) if they are dimpled, they are old.
2) How long a 12oz lasts depends on the efficiency of your marker. have more than 1 12oz for an afternoon.
3) I'd never recommend spraypaint on a barrel. Tape IS much better.
4) NEVER store your marker cocked or gassed up.
melkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 PM #5
enjoipaintball

thanks melks

Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 PM #6
enjoipaintball

what is the velocity screw? lol

Old 11-23-2009, 01:38 PM #7
cowboy_dan

The velocity screw is the screw that you adjust to change the speed of the paintballs. It is accessed through the body where the top rib starts to slope down on the front. 3 or 4mm allen wrench I believe.

Screw it in to go slower, screw it out to go faster.

RIP Combat Cave
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 PM #8
enjoipaintball

thanks, and what did you use to polish your parts?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:31 PM #9
cowboy_dan

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.

I started with a cheap sharpening stone, then switched to some 1000 grit automotive sandpaper, then 1500 or 2000 ( I don't remember right now which it was) grit paper. The hammer took the longest, and I didn't get the 3-4 deepest machining marks out of it, but other than that all the friction surfaces are very smooth.
The sear was the easiest, having the most flat surfaces and few friction surfaces.

Then I used some Turtle wax polishing compound for the hammer tube and barrel.

RIP Combat Cave
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 PM #10
enjoipaintball

thanks for the help.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 PM #11
Weigel21

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoipaintball View Post
okay

1. How long until paintballs are considered "old"? It's hard to tell exactly. If properly kept they could likely last over a year, but I've never had any that long to know for sure. Longest I've kept paintballs with them still being good is around 6 months, stored during the off season (late fall,winter, and early spring). So long as they don't show any dimples they should perform well enough.
2. Approx. how long will a 12oz co2 last? Well, I don't have a 12oz., but if I recall correctly my 9oz got just over 400 decent shots and my 14oz got a solid 600 shots before I'd change it out on my Ray. Given how well or poorly your marker is cleaned, lubed, your shooting velocity, outdoor temp., paint to bore match, barrel length, and/or how well the internals are polished, I'd give your Ray anywhere from 500-600 shots per 12oz fill. Just how long this will last depends on how much paint you shoot in a given time.
3. Should a gun be stored with the tank on it or off? It is always best to remove the tank, especially if neither the tank or marker has an On/Off valve. If the tank has an On/Off valve or your ASA is an On/Off ASA then it could be acceptable, but I still don't recommend it. (Your Ray doesn't have an On/Off ASA and I personally don't trust On/Off valved CO2 tanks.) As previously stated, don't store the marker cocked either, it wears out the main spring.

4. What should I use to clean the internals of my ray? A clean cloth/paper towel and warm water works fine unless you've been using crap paint like Monster Balls and had chops/breaks or you've let the paint sit and cake on for weeks. Or if the marker has taken hits from crap paint like Monster Balls. When relubing your ray you can use any paintball marker oil, air tool oil, or ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). Believe it or not, but B.E. recommends ATF and it has proven to work well in my Rays.

5. What are some key maintenance tips?
Be sure to put some oil on all the O-rings when reassembling the marker and then put a few drops lube in the ASA and dry fire the marker to evenly coat the internals, not doing so may cause you to have air leaks. And while this isn't necessarily a maintenance tip, replace the steel ball bearing ball detent with a plastic are acrylic bead. The steel ball detent will pit the bolt and eventually cause you to have noting but ball breaks. If the bolt has already gotten a bit mushroomed from the steel detent use a Dremmel, file, or something to smooth any rough edges out.
Weigel21 is offline   Reply With Quote