Old 12-17-2009, 02:33 AM #23
evilomenboy
doesn't have an omen

has been a member for 10 years
I'm rush chair.

Lambda Chi Alpha
Sigma Chi Zeta
University of Alabama at Birmingham

Going through rush was the best decision I ever made. Hands down.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 AM #24
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerseth View Post
Sigma Chi, Delta Psi Chapter
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

We have a ridiculous number of chapters on campus, 28 to be exact.
Also, 4 Sororities, giving you a little insight on the ratio. Gotta love engineering schools.

And mike45thab, I have 320,493 brothers and friends
Give me some time, we will continue to set rush/pledge records

My FeedBack
mike45thab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 AM #25
Wild Huntsman
El Presidente

Wild Huntsman owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Wild Huntsman posts videos on PbNation
Wild Huntsman is an NCPA player
Wild Huntsman plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPBalln8905 View Post
Social fraternities have never made sense to me. They do little for your resume and just seem pointless to join unless you're rushing an honor fraternity or one affiliated with your major so that you might access contacts for your career.

For those who say they do it to meet people...it's college; no one knows anyone at first. If anything, you're limiting your friend-pool to those in your frat and sister sororities.
yeah it really didnt make sense to me either until i joined one. still, its difficult to describe. Its something along the lines of a place to hang out, and a group to do service, Intra mural sports and the like with. I'm happy with my decision, but since we have no national frats at my school, my dues are around $240 a year.
Wild Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 AM #26
mgsboy
icwutudidthar

I've never understood greek organizations either. Members pay due to be apart of a brotherhood or sisterhood. The organizations around here have to abide by appearance standards as well. Furthermore, many members around here will not even acknowledge you unless you're in the greek system or even sometimes within their particular frat or sorority.

I'm not trying to sum up the whole system just by my experiences and I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about their choice.

"Originally posted by nflvikings: Because gays are responsible for teenage pregnancy. DONT YOU SEE!?"
mgsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM #27
tsevisan
Sultan of Swag

tsevisan supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker Special View Post

There are two mindsets out there for people rushing; some people only want a place to stay and party on the weekends, others want a place where they can give back and work on bettering themselves through social engagement and taking leadership positions (though partying is still fine). I hope you join for the second, because people get kicked out for the first in any respectable house.

Easily the best decision I have made in my life.
It has nothing to do with being a respectable house everyone joins for different reasons if you just want to party good for you as long as you pay your dues who gives a f**K
tsevisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 PM #28
dantriggerhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsboy View Post
I've never understood greek organizations either. Members pay due to be apart of a brotherhood or sisterhood. The organizations around here have to abide by appearance standards as well. Furthermore, many members around here will not even acknowledge you unless you're in the greek system or even sometimes within their particular frat or sorority.

I'm not trying to sum up the whole system just by my experiences and I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about their choice.
Honestly, I felt this exact way. I even promised my parents I would never join a fraternity, and I hated them. This is because I carried this preconceived notion that everyone in a fraternity is full of rich **** face ******s. However, once I started hanging out with some guys in my current fraternity I realized it has nothing to do with the 'payment' part. We don't have many dues and we certainly don't party like the rockstars do at state schools where they have 4500$+ due a semester. We have 300-500$ PER YEAR due, and that is because we just like to keep it simple. A couple themed parties but otherwise just some kegs and **** ont he weekends, our yearly beer oplympics and pong tournaments, and a formal once a year. Not all fraternities are created equal, and no two chapters are the same. IMO, frats at state schools/larger schools are usually more douchey, and the more south you go the more the average person might hate the fraternities. But, if you are from the south this fraternity life/way of greek **** in college is jsut how it is, it is SO different from northern greek systems.

Disgustingly Large Sale
dantriggerhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:51 PM #29
NickThePyro

Ive partied with a lot of different frats here on campus and hated most of them because the douchy frat boy mentality besides Theta Xi and Lambda. But I went to Phi Delta Theta last night and really liked it, thinking about pledging at semester. Going back tonight.
NickThePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 AM #30
prelic

prelic plays in the APPA D5 division
Paying dues isn't really a good reason to hate on fraternities. I've heard so many people say they won't "pay for friends". The fraternity doesn't just generate money on its own, nor does any one person profit off of the money we pay. You pay dues to make parties and other events happen, for insurance in case anyone were to **** up at one of those parties, and for rent to live in a house. Minus the insurance, everyone pays for those things anyway. The actual fees we pay just to be an organization are dismal compared to an active social fraternity's social budget.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 AM #31
pa1ntball 56
Hi my name isn't Titties

pa1ntball 56 plays in the PSP
pa1ntball 56 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pa1ntball 56 is an NCPA player
pa1ntball 56 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
First off, no one should be paying dues to party. FIPG insurance policies which you can get more than ****ed in the *** for states that you can not use chapter funds to purchase alcoholic beverages. It's also a huge no go with auditing and tracing where money has gone for taxes.

We have a separate account, its not actually an account its just our collection of party money. The first time we threw a party, one of our brothers spotted the whole thing. Guys are 5 bucks, 2 girls for 5 and greeks for free at the door. He was paid his money back and the profit was for future parties, it gets to a point pretty quick where you have enough cash to pay for all your alcohol, including date parties, socials and other no charge events. Then again Temple is a school where you pay to get into every party no matter who is throwing it
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 AM #32
prelic

prelic plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa1ntball 56 View Post
First off, no one should be paying dues to party. FIPG insurance policies which you can get more than ****ed in the *** for states that you can not use chapter funds to purchase alcoholic beverages. It's also a huge no go with auditing and tracing where money has gone for taxes.

We have a separate account, its not actually an account its just our collection of party money. The first time we threw a party, one of our brothers spotted the whole thing. Guys are 5 bucks, 2 girls for 5 and greeks for free at the door. He was paid his money back and the profit was for future parties, it gets to a point pretty quick where you have enough cash to pay for all your alcohol, including date parties, socials and other no charge events. Then again Temple is a school where you pay to get into every party no matter who is throwing it

So your lecturing me on fipg guidelines, and then immediately offering advice about how you break those same rules, and make money off of it? Ya obviously we don't just put all of our money into one big account and pull everything from it...that would certainly be asking to get audited. Just like every other social fraternity who parties, we handle that kind of business behind closed doors. And I don't know about you, but its hard to get volunteers to front $5-600 for a party with the hopes of being reimbursed promptly..
Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM #33
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Alpha Rho Mu Psi

Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM #34
pa1ntball 56
Hi my name isn't Titties

pa1ntball 56 plays in the PSP
pa1ntball 56 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pa1ntball 56 is an NCPA player
pa1ntball 56 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelic View Post
So your lecturing me on fipg guidelines, and then immediately offering advice about how you break those same rules, and make money off of it? Ya obviously we don't just put all of our money into one big account and pull everything from it...that would certainly be asking to get audited. Just like every other social fraternity who parties, we handle that kind of business behind closed doors. And I don't know about you, but its hard to get volunteers to front $5-600 for a party with the hopes of being reimbursed promptly..
you would be shocked. there are a TON who dont. a couple here got shut down for it and a couple of our chapters nationally are ****ing clueless with that ****
Old 12-18-2009, 11:57 AM #35
fallensyndikate
That's Whats Up

fallensyndikate is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPBalln8905 View Post
Social fraternities have never made sense to me. They do little for your resume and just seem pointless to join unless you're rushing an honor fraternity or one affiliated with your major so that you might access contacts for your career.

For those who say they do it to meet people...it's college; no one knows anyone at first. If anything, you're limiting your friend-pool to those in your frat and sister sororities.

First off, you meet plenty of alumni in a social fraternity that can help your job placement greatly. Second, you're right, its college and you meet a lot of people. Unfortunately some people don't want to be friends with the poor kids they meet in the dorms and gross girls. I love my fraternity. I love my brothers. I don't want to hang out with poor people who are the first person in their family to go to college and its on a full paid scholarship. I dont want to be friends with miserable college students that eat ramen noodles every day. Luckily, I go to a school with an outstanding greek system (UGA), and our dues are expensive to weed out the people like that. I want to have fun in college, and I have the money to do it, so why not hang out with people who also have the money to do it.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM #36
shark6428

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
shark6428 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa1ntball 56 View Post
Paying money to party isn't about paying for the booze. It's pretty much impossible to party anywhere for free. You also have to pay for food, non-alcoholic beverages, and entertainment. Our policies prevent us from using chapter funds to purchase alcohol, and we aren't allowed to have common alcohol sources anyway (kegs, punch bowls, etc.). However, that doesn't stop individual brothers from stepping up and buying drinks for anyone who wants them.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM #37
dantriggerhappy

SOme of you guys sound like total douchers that should just join community service organizations; not be a part of greek life. You should probably go suck your organizations by laws dicks and not have fun.

Disgustingly Large Sale
dantriggerhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 PM #38
geekyPBmaniac
~ASMC Member~

geekyPBmaniac helped look for balloons
geekyPBmaniac owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
geekyPBmaniac supports Team VICIOUS
Theta Xi
Alpha Eta Chapter

Philanthropy Chair
Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 AM #39
zedtheundead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallensyndikate View Post
First off, you meet plenty of alumni in a social fraternity that can help your job placement greatly. Second, you're right, its college and you meet a lot of people. Unfortunately some people don't want to be friends with the poor kids they meet in the dorms and gross girls. I love my fraternity. I love my brothers. I don't want to hang out with poor people who are the first person in their family to go to college and its on a full paid scholarship. I dont want to be friends with miserable college students that eat ramen noodles every day. Luckily, I go to a school with an outstanding greek system (UGA), and our dues are expensive to weed out the people like that. I want to have fun in college, and I have the money to do it, so why not hang out with people who also have the money to do it.
lol
zedtheundead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:59 PM #40
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

Dirtybirdy51 is a Paintball photographer
here: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3199363

and

here: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3199363
Originally posted by Black Angus: "So, apparently, if you post in the mountain climbing thread that you enjoy climbing because you can fap off the top of the mountain and watch your *** fly in the wind, you get banned."
AUD- passed, REG- passed, BEC- passed, FAR- scores due 3/10
Dirtybirdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:42 AM #41
donaldledotcom13

sigma Pi. Sorry We Party.
donaldledotcom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 AM #42
Boilermaker Special

some people are not one year yet, so those would be pretty hard threads to look at