Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-08-2009, 04:00 PM #1
AABatteries (Banned)

AABatteries helped look for balloons
AABatteries owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABatteries posts videos on PbNation
Nerf Launcher

Wanting to build myself a nerf rocket launcher for some anti tank warfare. No clue where to start really. Just need some ideas for the cheapest, and simplest way to build one.
AABatteries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM #2
Furb

http://www.houndsofhellpaintball.com/articles1.html

here you go.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM #3
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
One night camping out before a local scenario game I had a bit of a brain storm. I had a few nerfs in my gearbag, but no launcher. Some of us players who had been around for a while were reminiscing about the old days and someone brought up the old barrel plugs. For you newer players, before we had barrel bags as the standard safety device we had these things called barrel plugs. Literally a plastic plug that you shoved into the end of your barrel, and hoped it stayed in if you had an accidental discharge. We were joking around about how far we had seen them fly across the field when people forgot to pull them out. The ones that came with Spyders were notorious for flying well over 50 feet. And then it hit me. I don't know if it was the Jagermeister or what, but I suddenly had an idea.

I grab one of my nerfs and a roll of electrical tape. I pull off the tail section, built up the old back end with tape, flipped it around and shoved it back into nerf. I then built up the new back end with some more tape...

I then grabbed a gun with an unported barrel and shoved it in...

...and presto, instant Nerf RPG.

I found it works best with a pump. You don't want to fire a ball into it, and pumps are easy to cock without loading a ball. Plus the breech is usually sealed a bit better. In use it's a bit comical since you get maybe 30 feet of range. You better have a brass pair the size of coconuts since you have to run up really, really close, as close as the rules will allow, to get a good shot. And of course you'll have to clear it with your local field for use. My local field thought the idea was hilarious so I haven't had any issued yet.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 PM #4
AABatteries (Banned)

Thanks both of you. More interested in the link.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM #5
Furb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
presto, instant Nerf RPG.I found it works best with a pump. You don't want to fire a ball into it, and pumps are easy to cock without loading a ball. Plus the breech is usually sealed a bit better. In use it's a bit comical since you get maybe 30 feet of range. You better have a brass pair the size of coconuts since you have to run up really, really close, as close as the rules will allow, to get a good shot. And of course you'll have to clear it with your local field for use. My local field thought the idea was hilarious so I haven't had any issued yet.
So does it realy work good? Like can you use a brass eagle with it? im loo lazy to make a real nerf rpg.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM #6
octane2079
Drunken Badger

octane2079 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furb View Post
So does it realy work good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
In use it's a bit comical since you get maybe 30 feet of range. You better have a brass pair the size of coconuts since you have to run up really, really close, as close as the rules will allow, to get a good shot.

If you want to be an effective AT player your going to need to purchase or fabricate a true launcher.
Xbox Live/Origin Name Edgyxsf
octane2079 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM #7
AABatteries (Banned)

Can't be fired by a gun, or it becomes a nade launcher. Has to be a separate unit.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:01 PM #8
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

i make some pretty decent 12 gram powered ones. look on the weapons section of my forums for more info under 'Panzerfaust"

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 PM #9
custar

Check out the Havoc launcher by Metadyne.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:56 PM #10
Smokin Gunz

The problem with the pre built launchers is the price. They are good launchers, but pricey. If you decide to build a launcher, DO NOT use pvc for your pressure chamber. Schedule 80 pvc works good for a barrel. You get a tight fit on the rocket with it. The lower schedule pipe will allow the rocket to slide out if you point the launcher down. I use a piece of schedule 80 for my barrel, with a sliding coupling with a hole cut in it for breech loading. This way you are not trying to cram a rocket down the barrel with a stick. You just slide the breech forward and load it. I have 1/2" iron pipe for my air chamber with a 12 gram quick changer for an air supply and handle. The ball valve is mounted a few inches in front of the quick changer like a large trigger. It works very well for me.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM #11
Gommmo45
A ripped man

Gommmo45 is playing at Living Legends III
Gommmo45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Gommmo45 supports Team VICIOUS
Gommmo45 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gunz View Post
The problem with the pre built launchers is the price. They are good launchers, but pricey. If you decide to build a launcher, DO NOT use pvc for your pressure chamber. Schedule 80 pvc works good for a barrel. You get a tight fit on the rocket with it. The lower schedule pipe will allow the rocket to slide out if you point the launcher down. I use a piece of schedule 80 for my barrel, with a sliding coupling with a hole cut in it for breech loading. This way you are not trying to cram a rocket down the barrel with a stick. You just slide the breech forward and load it. I have 1/2" iron pipe for my air chamber with a 12 gram quick changer for an air supply and handle. The ball valve is mounted a few inches in front of the quick changer like a large trigger. It works very well for me.
Not to jack the thread but how far and at what speeds can it shoot with the 12 grams? If you have pics that would be cool because i might build one.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 PM #12
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furb View Post
The above link that was posted by Furb has photos and a video.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM #13
hudboy7

hudboy7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hudboy7 supports Team VICIOUS
12 grams suck. I hate having to take out the 12 gram and unscrew it, get a new one, then have to rescrew it. I highly suggest building one that can be hooked up to a Co2 or HPA tank.
hudboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:57 PM #14
Gommmo45
A ripped man

Gommmo45 is playing at Living Legends III
Gommmo45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Gommmo45 supports Team VICIOUS
Gommmo45 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtech View Post
The above link that was posted by Furb has photos and a video.
that looks like a good design. maybe i could use a 90 degree elbow to mount the 12 gram changer so i could use it as a vertical handle and use a larger expansion chamber to increase distance without increasing length.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 PM #15
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

The Larger Expansion Chamber will add weight. It not worst the extra weight for the distance increase. What will get you more distance will be to figure a way to open the ball valve faster. Couple of ways is to use a spring and lube the valve.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 PM #16
STeeCHfinger
Kickin Kick KIck

ok well let me save you some time, just go buy one most every field in the country has banned home made laws, this started last year . see the problem is that for the field to cary insurance they cant allow a home made launcher on the field they tend to blow up and then people are hurt or killed and no one wants that. so just spend the $400 on a J.C.S. or a Havoc launcher cuz your gonna have a better time and be able to use it at every field trust me, now as far as ammo only use the nerf pocket vortex un- modified as modifing a projectile is very bad and shortens the life and accuracy,

i say all of this a a very experienced A/T gunner so you can take my advice or just think im stupid and go waist $100 bucks on building a home made launcher (wich i have done) not to mention being all excited to shoot some tanks and have the field owner tell you "not on my field kid" and be totally pissed off that you waisted all the time and money building some piece of junk that collects dust in your basement
http://www.forefrontpb.com
STeeCHfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:19 AM #17
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeCHfinger View Post
i say all of this a a very experienced A/T gunner so you can take my advice or just think im stupid and go waist $100 bucks on building a home made launcher (wich i have done) not to mention being all excited to shoot some tanks and have the field owner tell you "not on my field kid" and be totally pissed off that you waisted all the time and money building some piece of junk that collects dust in your basement
Like I try to tell anyone who asks about tanks and anti-tank equipment, don't go by what someone says on a forum. Ask the operator of the field where you plan to use it! Ask BEFORE starting the build. Like for the tank I built a few years back, I asked the field operator and he said ok, but no cars/trucks. ATV/golfcart sized vehicles only. Heck, he offered to donate some netting for the build as well.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 AM #18
STeeCHfinger
Kickin Kick KIck

no cars or trucks that sux , 4x4 trucks make awesome tanks the in my opinion the best tank is a side by side quad, they are easy to transport and if you cant use it on the field you can always be a lazy *** and drive it back abd forth from insertion to camp and back lol
http://www.forefrontpb.com
STeeCHfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM #19
hudboy7

hudboy7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hudboy7 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeCHfinger View Post
ok well let me save you some time, just go buy one most every field in the country has banned home made laws, this started last year . see the problem is that for the field to cary insurance they cant allow a home made launcher on the field they tend to blow up and then people are hurt or killed and no one wants that. so just spend the $400 on a J.C.S. or a Havoc launcher cuz your gonna have a better time and be able to use it at every field trust me, now as far as ammo only use the nerf pocket vortex un- modified as modifing a projectile is very bad and shortens the life and accuracy,

for someone who has been to fulda gap you should know that ferg allows home made LAW's as long as the chamber is all metal.
hudboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:08 PM #20
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

The three Scenario Paintball Producers I play in Texas allows Homemade LAW's also (two require Metal Air Chamber).
Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 PM #21
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I would disagree wholeheartedly. A notable FEW have. D Day and Tour of Duty and who else????????

Quote:
most every field in the country has banned home made laws, this started last year . see the problem is that for the field to cary insurance they cant allow a home made launcher on the field they tend to blow up and then people are hurt or killed and no one wants that.
I'll start a thread to list fields that don't allow Home Made LAWs so we will all know which ones NOT to go to...

Building home made laws are not that complicated or high tech. Just bulld them and USE them safely. That is why I SHARE how to build any type of home made cannon. It isn't rocket science.

If you don't make it right, you become famous in the paintball community when you get hurt or have a close call on a field somewhere.

I go way back to when we used paintball shotgun round. 20 balls in a styrofoam cup. That is a lot of mass to hit someone point blank with. So they were ANTI TANK weapons only. But that doesn't keep some kid from running in front of you fleeing a tank just as you pull the trigger. Whoops!

The home mades have gotten so much safer since then. We have a LOT of experience how and how NOT to build a cannon.

This is why pbnation and other scenrio websites exhist. No reason to re invent the wheel.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote