Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
Cramming for finals, I dont understand

I dont understand the idea of cramming for finals. I mean, i understand review, but i dont get why people stay up all night the night before trying to read and memorize as much as possible.

Ive yet to go through a class where i took the final and the questions were a complete surprise and i had no idea what was going on. Seems like if you attend and pay attention you wouldnt really need to hardcore study, just kinda refresh the material.

So for those of you that cram the night before, whats the logic? Just out of curiosity.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 PM #2
jackassguy147
Destroyer of Threads

jackassguy147 is a Supporting Member
Desperation.

jackassguy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM #3
I'm inebriated
Wood Grain Grippin

I cram for finals. I'll study an hour or two the night before each midterm.

Not to be an *******, but you go to a community college. I've taken summer classes at CC's and gotten A's without ever showing up to class or studying.
I'm inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 PM #4
bnctaj

Burn does make a point, however. If one pays attention and studies consistently throughout the course, one's overall grade will likely be higher and one's retention of course material will actually mean something later on in life. Or, at least as much as anything one learns in a class room that one can be tested on can mean anything.
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM #5
OA paintball
Matt Ragsdale

OA paintball plays in the APPA beginner division
I never study before tests, i never studied or prepped for the SAT, and i dont really plan on it now. I get psyched out whenever i try and study

I just pay mad attention in class and read my textbooks when im bored outside of class and that seems to work best for me.
PJ's and no shirt; smoke weed eat yogurt.
OA paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 AM #6
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
Lots to know in 50 questions from the entire semester. I don't kill myself, but I do study.
texaspaintballplpaye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 AM #7
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I dont understand the idea of cramming for finals. I mean, i understand review, but i dont get why people stay up all night the night before trying to read and memorize as much as possible.

Ive yet to go through a class where i took the final and the questions were a complete surprise and i had no idea what was going on. Seems like if you attend and pay attention you wouldnt really need to hardcore study, just kinda refresh the material.

So for those of you that cram the night before, whats the logic? Just out of curiosity.

Because I need to memorize how to solve a problem with 10 different exceptions, through 3 different methods. There are 10 of these problems on my test. The gives me like 300 possible questions. Each one with its own order of equations on math tricks. When I cram, I can memorize a good chunk of the material that I did not already learn from class and homework because I NEVER get a problem from the homework or examples. Usually a similar one, but there is always one step that stops me.

This is coming from a senior electrical engineer, so I'm talking about all of my crazy classes where its pretty much calculus applied to theory. I remember the theory, I don't remember the calculus. Teachers love to throw trick into my exams. I'm talking like pre-calc trig identities that I haven't used since 9th grade.

From my experience in engineering, the questions are quite often a complete surprise. Tricky ones at that. There no shortage of them either, and never enough time.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 AM #8
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I agree with DayoftheGreek. Most of my chemistry exam questions have been "tricky" throughout the years, often going one or more steps beyond what the homework problems covered. It's a toss up for my biology because it's often more theory based questions on the exam.

Basically, people cram the night before because they're too lazy to do work during the year.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 AM #9
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 is BST Trusted
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Pro-cras-tin-ation
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 AM #10
TTB
Nope

All majors except law, some sciences and engineering are complete LOL. Everything at CC is complete LOL.

Go to a decent school before you talk about college life please.
TTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 AM #11
juice18
Green Police

juice18 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB View Post
All majors except law, some sciences and engineering are complete LOL. Everything at CC is complete LOL.

You're a dick.

People just dont study or pay attention, so they cram it all in. Especially if you dont take notes, because your attention span is lost after about 20 minutes of listening to a lecture.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:59 AM #12
Bad Arse Pirate
Half man...Half amazing

Bad Arse Pirate is a Supporting Member
I pay attention in class, go to class (for the most part), but I still cram til the last minute. Adderol made me do it.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 AM #13
juice18
Green Police

juice18 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Arse Pirate View Post
I pay attention in class, go to class (for the most part), but I still cram til the last minute. Adderol made me do it.
Adderol truly does like, make you work. Its crazy.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 AM #14
shark6428

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
When your school has Calc 2 professors known as the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse, you really have to know everything for the final. In just 3 semesters here, I've seen questions on mid term exams that hadn't yet been covered in class, and questions on finals that weren't covered at all. Go read onlyattech.net, most of that stuff is completely true.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:23 AM #15
Matt 23

Matt 23 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm inebriated View Post
I cram for finals. I'll study an hour or two the night before each midterm.

Not to be an *******, but you go to a community college. I've taken summer classes at CC's and gotten A's without ever showing up to class or studying.
I was at SUNY until I transfered to a CC in FL. Its not that different, it depends on the courses you're taking.

I highly doubt you barely went to class, CC requires that you go to class or you get dropped.

**** it
Matt 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:30 AM #16
Matt 23

Matt 23 helped look for balloons
Quote:

Why is it a joke for someone to become educated on something they enjoy? If someone enjoys history, and they want to learn about history, why not let them.

Sure they will have trouble finding a job based on it but it doesn't mean its a joke. Some people, although rare, go to school purely based on character. They want to learn more for themselves.

You I can see have absolutely no character, you're just an arrogant prick. That will probably never change.

**** it
Matt 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM #17
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm inebriated View Post
Not to be an <del>*******</del>, but you go to a community college. I've taken summer classes at CC's and gotten A's without ever showing up to class or studying.
Quote:

im assuming your both talking to me.

If thats the case, this is not my first year in college. I attended University of houston and university of arkansas before this. Im taking basic courses i never took while attending these schools and am transferring to UT. That being said i probably know alot more about college life and real life than both of you.

Think before you speak
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 AM #18
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit

Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:

I beg to differ, and I am a law major. Just because someone goes to a CC doesn't mean they are stupid, lots of people have started doing their freshman year at a CC to save money and transfer to a college/university before their sophomore year. It's not uncommon.

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM #19
I'm inebriated
Wood Grain Grippin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 23 View Post
I highly doubt you barely went to class, CC requires that you go to class or you get dropped.
It really depends where you take it. I've taken classes at two CC's. One was English 2 which I had to show up to a couple times, but our only grade in the class was writing a 5 page research paper, and she said as long as we showed up a few times to show her how our paper was coming along, we didn't have to come any other times. (I guess writing a 5 page paper is difficult for people in CC's).

The other one was managerial accounting. I literally never showed up, failed every test, and still got an A. We had so many grades that had nothing to do with the class, and the grading scale was 1-900, so once you got like 600 or 700 points, you got an A. For example:

Writing a half page summary over the syllabus
Taking an online quiz over the syllabus
Writing 4 half page current event essays over anything we wanted
Writing a half page paper about ourselves

This equaled around 450 points, so all I had to get was 150 points between a bunch of quizzes and 3 midterms.

(All of these we turned in online, we also had online quizzes, which were also a joke because you could sit there and flip through the book as you were taking them)

tl'dr - CC's are easier than high school
I'm inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM #20
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
The idea is to learn the material throughout the semester, then cram everything the days before. You can only remember so much for so long.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM #21
Not_Werty7373

Not_Werty7373 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
i also dont cram for finals I review but i dont try to learn everything the night before. I also dont memorize how to do problems. I learn about the concepts and how they are to be applied to problems, that way I can complete any problem that is presented.
† CHRIST KREW #666 †
~»†††«~
Not_Werty7373 is offline   Reply With Quote