ThisWontHurt supports Team VICIOUS
ThisWontHurt posts videos on PbNation
ThisWontHurt supports Pev's Paintball
ThisWontHurt plays in the APPA D5 division
ThisWontHurt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ThisWontHurt has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Suggestions for joining/starting a team

Hi,
How do I start or find a team is a question that is very common among new players. In this post I will attempt to compile a list of resources that players can refer to when starting a team.
First thing you will want to get is an American Paintball Player's Association(APPA) identification number. This is how your stats will be tracked in regards to what divisions you can play in. The number can be obtained at http://www.paintball-players.org/. This is also an good place to see what different tournament series are out there. Once you sign up there you can see what the different divisions are and what it takes to move up in those divisions.

Next I would recommend knowing what region your state is in and check the appropriate sub forum:
Midwest
North East
North West
South East
South West
West
Other Global
These are good places to find teams that are recruiting or recruit for your own team as well as local tournaments which is where your journey to pro starts.
Next you will no doubt want to get better as a player and team so I compiled and am still compiling a list of resources tips and advice at Rejects PB. Currently I have assembled the Dynasty Dysected video from Youtube and there are a ton of good drills, tips, and tricks that our boys from Dynasty share.
Next lets talk sponsorships. Honestly you probably won't get any your first year playing together as a team. Sponsors like to know you will be seen and in return people will see their name. To give you guys an idea go look at how many sponsor Rejects has. For those two sponsors I made around 50 contacts and one of the sponsors is my family business. If you really want to pursue this your best bet is to check with your current employer and family and friends who own businesses and ask them to sponsor your team.

Having the right gear for tournament play is important. Some basic things you should have before finding a Speed/hyper/X-ball team is a good set of pants, practice jersey, mask, marker, knee pad.
Pants: These have some padding and help cause bounces. I rarely have paint break on my pants so pants effectively reduce the area that an opponent can break paint on you by 50%. This stat assumes you are no farther up than about the 40 and your opponent is about the same. Game changer for the early and mid game.
Practice Jersey: This is just a standard jersey that can be bought at any paintball retailer. It offers a cool long sleeve alternative to the standard tee shirt. This also helps paint bounce off of you because if it didn't break you're still in. Also reduces bruising.
Mask: When I say mask I am not talking about the ones that come with Tippman starter packs though if that's all you have and can afford its better than nothing. Do a little research and find a good mask that have quick release lenses and a soft area around your mouth. The soft area around the mouth will again help paint bounce off of you.
Marker: Ok first off with this one let me reiterate, "The player makes the marker. The marker does not make the player." This means you don't have to have a Ego or G6R to be competitive. Look at Empire's Axe or the ETek 3's for your entry level guns. If those are still out of your price range look at Ions as they can take a good beating and still work.
Knee Pads: Last but not least get a set of knee pads for sliding. I learned this the hard way I came home many of days with most of the skin on my knees gone. This will be one of the best investments you ever make in this sport(next to a stick of Juicy Fruit).

Markers and Prices:
Ion: varies as these can only be bought used now
Dangerous Power G4: $300
Empire Axe: $500
Invert Mini: ~$375
Valken Proton: ~325
Planet Eclips Etha: 350
Planet Eclips Etek 4: 500

Understanding how paintball guns work:
I am going to preface this post with an appoligy to PbN admins but that other site has such a great explanation of spool valve vs. poppet valve I'm going to link it and ask that you get over this feud with them for the betterment of the sport.

Ok so when you go looking for your new gun I'm sure you are going to notice 2 themes in design one is a gun that has what looks like 2 layers.

This type of marker has a poppet valve in it. see the following link to understand how the valves work

Then there is a marker that has a 1 layer look.

This is a spool valve.

Valve Explanation with animated diagrams.

Quick link references:
APPA
PBNation regional sub forums:
Midwest
North East
North West
South East
South West
West
Other Global

Team and Sponsorship info links:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3634532
Empire All In: Empire is one of the leading manufatures of paintball gear and paint.
Zepher Paintball: I have seen this company's sponsorship section my self and while it is not best on the market it is a good place to start.

I will continue to comb these forums and add to this thread. If our other vets have good links pleas share them in a reply.

New players if you have questions you want answered please feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

Contributing PbNation members:
Shpak10

Last edited by ThisWontHurt : 11-18-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added info. Updated info.
ThisWontHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 PM #2
Ctop10
Spray and Pray

Ctop10 is playing at Living Legends VII
Ctop10 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Ctop10 is an NCPA player
Ctop10 plays in the APPA D4 division
Awesome thread, It should be stickied. This could help alot of people.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 PM #3
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
should add "In the USA" to the title.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM #4
ThisWontHurt
Official MidWest Streamer

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
should add "In the USA" to the title.
If you have information on resources for other countries feel free to share them and I'll make sure they get included in the main post.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM #5
shpak10

shpak10 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shpak10 supports Sherwood Forest
for the markers section you have a gap in price range on there. you did put up good entry level markers but the price goes from a 400 dollar axe to a 80 dollar ion. you should put a mid price in between like a pmr, g4, and minis. new players usually dont know much so if you added a larger list of higher entry medium cost entry and low cost entry guns to the post i think it would help but its just my opinion. overall great job on the post and you sure make a list on the bottem of the post that says the names of people that added information.
shpak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM #6
ThisWontHurt

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpak10 View Post
for the markers section you have a gap in price range on there. you did put up good entry level markers but the price goes from a 400 dollar axe to a 80 dollar ion. you should put a mid price in between like a pmr, g4, and minis. new players usually dont know much so if you added a larger list of higher entry medium cost entry and low cost entry guns to the post i think it would help but its just my opinion. overall great job on the post and you sure make a list on the bottem of the post that says the names of people that added information.
Started a gun price guide to go along with this. Will be updating it more but it's dinner time here and I have a slow connection atm
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM #7
shpak10

shpak10 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shpak10 supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWontHurt View Post
Started a gun price guide to go along with this. Will be updating it more but it's dinner time here and I have a slow connection atm
ok and you can get g4s alot cheaper than 300 ive seen them 200s.
shpak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:45 AM #8
ThisWontHurt

Annual Supporting Member
I'm going to bump this because it is still relevant and recently updated. Again vets if you have things you think should be added post here or shoot me a PM. New guys/young guns if you have questions my PM box is always open and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

Like Us on Facebook
Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 PM #9
ThisWontHurt

Annual Supporting Member
Still seeing new guys wanting to join teams so bumping this.

Like Us on Facebook
Old 11-27-2014, 02:00 AM #10
polarpaxton
WooPig

polarpaxton plays in the PSP
polarpaxton plays in the MiLP
polarpaxton helped look for balloons
polarpaxton is an NCPA player
this is a great thread. i would recommend maybe updating the markers in the first post.
NCPA AllStars Lifetime member
Marine T-Shirts, help support USMC paintball in 2015
APL
polarpaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:45 PM #11
ThisWontHurt

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarpaxton View Post
this is a great thread. i would recommend maybe updating the markers in the first post.
That is a fairly up to date list. I believe I pulled pricing off ASNgear.com

Like Us on Facebook