PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 PM #85
jmac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
half the time i want a cd for only a few songs, so im not gonna waste 15 bucks on a cd for a few songs so im gonna keep downloading em for free
What a dumb point...You can download and pay for single songs
jmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM #86
ihavesuperaids

ihavesuperaids plays in the APPA beginner division
people listen to kid rock?
ihavesuperaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM #87
muroks
two fingers, slowly.

muroks is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Loved the PSA. Hopefully more people will be able to see that downloading is stealing.

Couldn't get through all 5 pages of the thread, but I'm dissapointed in all the people who have the nerve to try and justify illegal downloading in the MWAG forum. Not cool.

Plain and simple.. illegal downloading hurts artists. Artists like Patrick.

Surviving as an artist is difficult enough.

How about we quit stealing from them and support the ones we like by purchasing their work?

My OLD FEEDBACK
= 80+/0-

Last edited by muroks : 12-06-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: speling bee
muroks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM #88
ScottW

ScottW owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ScottW supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac3 View Post
What a dumb point...You can download and pay for single songs
yeah if you have a credit card which i dont or want to go out to the store and buy a card which i find pointless when i can just get any song for free
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM #89
muroks
two fingers, slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
yeah if you have a credit card which i dont or want to go out to the store and buy a card which i find pointless when i can just get any song for free
Just because you can, dosen't mean you should.

My OLD FEEDBACK
= 80+/0-
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 PM #90
fps_frank
just chill people

fps_frank owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
fps_frank posts videos on PbNation
fps_frank is an NCPA player
fps_frank plays in the APPA D4 division
you could make case for large mp3 player sizes contributing to the volume of illigal downloads.... oh man 360 gigs? lets just put songs i listen to once and dont really like on there that i got for free?!!??!

Russian Legion fan #1208
fps_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 PM #91
MRev
www.teambruteforce.net

MRev owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
As a film maker, I have to resort to working for production companies to pay the bills because of the current market. And what I mean when I say the current market I mean the fact that when a film is released it is just simply uploaded onto the internet, and downloaded by anyone who wants to watch it.

Truthfully I have lost hundreds and hundreds of dollars in this sense as Patrick himself has, I sold my copy of CK2 for half the price to a friend just so he wouldn't go out and download it, Then I bought a new copy.

To the normal person its efficient, simple, and easy to just download music or videos off the internet. To the creator every time we know that our film/song was downloaded we think of how much money and profit we lost. AS A FILM MAKER I spend hundreds of dollars into my films as I know Patrick himself did too... so when you download his film, he's hoping he will have enough to gain profit let alone break even.

Think of it this way...
The Dark Knight cost over 150 Million Dollars to produce...
thats 7,500,000 DVDs sold at $20 each just to break even.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM #92
Johnny5072
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Johnny5072 is a Supporting Member
Johnny5072 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Johnny5072 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRev View Post
As a film maker, I have to resort to working for production companies to pay the bills because of the current market. And what I mean when I say the current market I mean the fact that when a film is released it is just simply uploaded onto the internet, and downloaded by anyone who wants to watch it.

Truthfully I have lost hundreds and hundreds of dollars in this sense as Patrick himself has, I sold my copy of CK2 for half the price to a friend just so he wouldn't go out and download it, Then I bought a new copy.

To the normal person its efficient, simple, and easy to just download music or videos off the internet. To the creator every time we know that our film/song was downloaded we think of how much money and profit we lost. AS A FILM MAKER I spend hundreds of dollars into my films as I know Patrick himself did too... so when you download his film, he's hoping he will have enough to gain profit let alone break even.

Think of it this way...
The problem with piracy just like online viewing, is numbers. There are no hard facts out there about how much piracy hurts the economy. Most of the extreme cases of piracy come from overseas in countries where so much revenue is generated from it, ie China. I couldn't tell you that someone I worked with didn't get hired on a film because 1,000 people downloaded a movie online and therefore the studio cut their budget on the next film so my co-worker didn't get hired. There is no hard numbers out there to support the claims. It is more Studio Math which we all know is worse than the mortgage/stock math that got us into this recession in the first place. When the world starts placing more value on perceived income and future revenues, that's when we run into trouble. Consumers got into trouble when they borrowed against the "equity" in their homes which was a perceived number from the marketplace. When the bubble burst, everyone was left out in the cold.

Piracy is stealing. It affects Paintball, it affects everyone. Just now it may be more directly felt being the state that the economy is in.

Also the Dark Knight probably cost 150 million to make, but was marketed and distributed for a whole lot more. Warner Bros sketchy accounting could probably even show you a balance sheet saying that it never made any money. That is the corrupt world we live in.
Johnny5072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 PM #93
MRev
www.teambruteforce.net

This is very true lol... I was just looking for a numbers example and that was the first movie that popped into mind.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM #94
g35x
Pump Player

So, what made you post that video Pat? It's pretty old, I've seen it before. Bored and randomly felt like sparking up a debate? Well, I guess this is your own subfourm, so you can do what you want. Don't worry though, I don't pirate your movies. I can't say I buy them either. There are tons of amazing paintball videos available for free. This goes for music as well. There are plenty of up and coming bands that release albums for free. Then again, I listen to music a lot more than I watch paintball videos, so I do buy some occasionally.

Don't get me wrong Pat, I respect you for your work, and I do plan to buy the movies and check them out sometime, but my point is that times are hard these days and you can't always expect people to be able to shell out a lot of cash for entertainment. Especially when there is so much available for free- be it legal and free, or illegal and free.

Last edited by g35x : 12-06-2009 at 10:47 PM.
g35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:58 PM #95
Blazestorm2
I like me

Quote:
Think of it this way...
"Box Office: $533,316,061"

Considering it did that in theaters alone, I think they're fine on DVD and Blu-ray sales... Most major movies are this way. And if they were flops, they were flops... you can't blame it on piracy because it's not like people pirate every movie in existence, they pirate good movies that they'd enjoy watching. ****ty movies that don't do well in theaters, don't do well on DVD, and won't be pirated anywhere near as much as a good movie. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying how it is. Wasn't the original Star Wars done on like 1 million? You don't need big budgets to do great films...

You simply can't say that you lost any profits from people pirating films. You can't assume they would have paid for it if weren't able to download it. You give someone the opportunity to have something for free, they'll take it. But once you ask money for the same thing they might not be so inclined to pay especially if it's a luxury.

A good example of this is the PSP Webcast recently... it was free for the first 3 events and now you're paying per match. This isn't something that Pat has control over but it's emphasizing my point. It was free before, lots of people watched it. It's now pay-per-view and significantly less people will watch it.

rabblerabble.
Blazestorm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:04 AM #96
baller3388

It wouldn't get pirated as much if it was less expensive to begin with

#2 member "I hate Ed Reiker" club

Basically new Vice WANT GEO
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post79389561
baller3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 AM #97
TzeentchianGod
aka Sentinel

TzeentchianGod is a Supporting Member
TzeentchianGod supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller3388 View Post
I make baseless assertions with no data to back it up.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM #98
som3 dud3
Hop stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by som3 dud3 View Post
http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4206.html

Edit: Or if you have more time try http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6223.html too.

BTW, morals are pretty subjective so arguing that seems kinda idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeentchianGod View Post
If you would like some, try reading the second link.
som3 dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM #99
the PMR guy

stealing music\software- no physical matter lost. it doesnt cost money to make (in terms of building up, or shaping) a song.

stealing a car, ring, or something that physically exists costs a company money for materials and supplies. that is the difference.

if you steal a song, the company doesn't gain money.( $-0 )

if you steal a car, the company loses money.( -$25,000)
the PMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 PM #100
MRev
www.teambruteforce.net

You say no one loses money... you forget peoples time, production costs, marketing, etc... lol downloading a song is still profit loss.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM #101
NoLimitz_07
Im In Miami *****

NoLimitz_07 donated to help Peyton Trent
NoLimitz_07 is playing at Living Legends III
NoLimitz_07 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoLimitz_07 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
NoLimitz_07 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:

Think of it this way...
They made all there money back and then some in theaters.
And how many copies did block buster and hollywood video and other video stores buy to rent out?

Dl music online is not stealing its sharing. How did it get there to begin with? Most of the time some one bought the cd and then decided to share it with everyone else. The CD industry got away for many years selling them at $20 a pop now when people have found a new way to get it and the demand is down they have dropped to around $12. Also if they are loosing money everytime why do they continue to produce music?
NoLimitz_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:20 PM #102
muroks
two fingers, slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by som3 dud3 View Post
If you would like some, try reading the second link.
Potential profits lost or not lost..

No matter how you try to rationalize illegal DLing, its wrong. When an artist has a work copyrighted, hes asking you to pay for it and not steal it. If the artist is okay with you copying their work, they register with CC/Creative Commons.

No means no.

My OLD FEEDBACK
= 80+/0-
Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 PM #103
muroks
two fingers, slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitz_07 View Post
Also if they are loosing money everytime why do they continue to produce music?
If attitudes like this prevail, I worry what art in the future will be like.

Shouldn't you support music/art you like? and not steal from the artists that make it?

Someone mentioned the "Dark Knight" movie. Sure they lost some potential profits, but its people like Patrick and MWAG that hurt the most. He dosen't have a major hollywood budget like Dark Knight, but hes put in too much time and money to just give it away on youtube. Artists like that need the support of media sales.

If enough people DL and steal from artists, I'm afraid we'll lose some of them forever.

My OLD FEEDBACK
= 80+/0-

Last edited by muroks : 12-07-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM #104
MRev
www.teambruteforce.net

I agree!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:02 PM #105
som3 dud3
Hop stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muroks View Post
Potential profits lost or not lost..

No matter how you try to rationalize illegal DLing, its wrong. When an artist has a work copyrighted, hes asking you to pay for it and not steal it. If the artist is okay with you copying their work, they register with CC/Creative Commons.

No means no.
I'm not rationalizing the morality of it. Remove yourself from the human condition, eliminate morality as an issue first. File sharing studies show that it isn't nearly as harmful to the artist and consumer as the current market systems put in place by the RIAA and other major labels. After you have that part what your morality says can be factored into the solution, but not before.

I'm not advocating that you do/don't pirate things, much less even getting into the problems of intellectual property. What I am advocating is critical thinking towards the topic at hand, not emotional fingerpointing and namecalling.
som3 dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote