Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 02:08 AM #211
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge
 
MonkeyWithaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff by the Sea
MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNate View Post
as stated previously, copyright laws until recently did not apply to the internet at all... that has changed in the last 10 years but only because those with money made it become that way. Mind you, this is NOT because of some moral or ethical obligation they have/had as they have attempted to make soooo many people believe, but STRICTLY financial (IE: GREEDY) motives... and they should be shut down!

Therefore my answer is this:

the term copyright does not apply to this discussion and is irrelevant when debating internet property uploaded and downloaded prior to recent laws
Where do you get your information? no disrespect but what you just said is so wrong that it is laughable. I would love to see some hard evidence to back up your statements.

-patrick
__________________
CK2, Cereal Killerz The Sequel
SPONSORED IN PART BY: DRAXXUS BADLANDS INC. ECLIPSE JT USA EMPIRE SMART PARTS PSP FACEFULL XPAINT PBNATION
The CK2 Trailer Song is by The Transit War (The Only Evidence) http://www.myspace.com/thetransitwar

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"
MonkeyWithaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 AM #212
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge
 
MonkeyWithaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff by the Sea
MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by muroks View Post
Showing your friends a purchased CD you like and sharing it with them? Totally acceptable.

Its when you upload copyrighted **** for millions of people to download do you become an illegal file-sharing ****.
Totally acceptable until "I'll let a friend borrow a CD and he'll put it on his ipod"

-patrick
__________________
CK2, Cereal Killerz The Sequel
SPONSORED IN PART BY: DRAXXUS BADLANDS INC. ECLIPSE JT USA EMPIRE SMART PARTS PSP FACEFULL XPAINT PBNATION
The CK2 Trailer Song is by The Transit War (The Only Evidence) http://www.myspace.com/thetransitwar

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"
MonkeyWithaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 AM #213
ItsNate
 
 
ItsNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
ItsNate donated to help Peyton Trent
ItsNate is playing at Living Legends III
ItsNate owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ItsNate supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyWithaGun View Post
Where do you get your information? no disrespect but what you just said is so wrong that it is laughable. I would love to see some hard evidence to back up your statements.

-patrick
Jesus man... read... the entire last page has source after source of my info/research
__________________
LEGIT BST'ERs with KILLER GOOD ADVICE!:
Annual Supporting Member Council
ItsNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 AM #214
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge
 
MonkeyWithaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff by the Sea
MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
ItsNate lets break this down to laymen terms so that I can understand it.

Am I right to assume that you believe that it is not a crime to seal music or any digital copyrighted material from the internet or any were for that matter?

Just trying to get a handle on where you are coming from.

-patrick
__________________
CK2, Cereal Killerz The Sequel
SPONSORED IN PART BY: DRAXXUS BADLANDS INC. ECLIPSE JT USA EMPIRE SMART PARTS PSP FACEFULL XPAINT PBNATION
The CK2 Trailer Song is by The Transit War (The Only Evidence) http://www.myspace.com/thetransitwar

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"
MonkeyWithaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:13 AM #215
ItsNate
 
 
ItsNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
ItsNate donated to help Peyton Trent
ItsNate is playing at Living Legends III
ItsNate owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ItsNate supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyWithaGun View Post
ItsNate lets break this down to laymen terms so that I can understand it.

Am I right to assume that you believe that it is not a crime to seal music or any digital copyrighted material from the internet or any were for that matter?

Just trying to get a handle on where you are coming from.

-patrick
you are incorrect in that assumption... stealing is wrong... do I believe that downloading music via P2P servers is stealing or should be a crime... NO... it was not a written law until the last 6-10 years therefore was NOT a crime until that time... that is my point.
__________________
LEGIT BST'ERs with KILLER GOOD ADVICE!:
Annual Supporting Member Council

Last edited by ItsNate : 12-16-2009 at 03:17 AM.
ItsNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:28 AM #216
pyrothug434
 
 
pyrothug434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chi-Town
pyrothug434 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazestorm2 View Post
My point was that artists try to make copyright infringement the same thing as stealing. It's similar, but it's not the same...

There's also a difference between people pirating software for personal use, and pirating software to sell / make money off of. I disagree with the last part. But if it weren't for pirated software I would have never had access to Sony Vegas for video editing, I wouldn't have learned how to use it. But now I purchased a legitimate copy because of certain jobs I might have been making money off of using Vegas.

But the line with media/music gets kinda gray too. As a musician, I'd be pissed if someone took my music and put it in an advertisement or movie without my permission and made a profit off of it. But there's also the personal use side of it, they're not trying to exploit your efforts for personal gain. They just want to listen to your music. Then there's certain media that is really only going to be for personal use (Movies more specifically), so you do feel that you should be getting paid if people want to see what you have to offer.

See what I'm getting at? I think there's a difference... I give my videos out for free, but when someone took my footage, and slapped a 30 second advertisement for "their company", and then tried to post it over pbnation I was pissed. They never asked me, and even if they did I'd still say no.



Differin opinions...
1.a whole crap load of people dl music make cd's and sell them.

2. people download music illegally all the time and post youtube videos or make videos with them to post places so once again fail!
__________________
Yaaaaaa
pyrothug434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM #217
som3 dud3
Hop stars
 
som3 dud3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by som3 dud3 View Post
http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4206.html

Edit: Or if you have more time try http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6223.html too.

BTW, morals are pretty subjective so arguing that seems kinda idiotic.
MonkeyWithaGun, you're still looking at the problem wrong. Read these, be educated, and then you'll see why your moral high ground is actually causing the problem. This is not a question of morals, it is a question of pure economics.
som3 dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM #218
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge
 
MonkeyWithaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff by the Sea
MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by som3 dud3 View Post
MonkeyWithaGun, you're still looking at the problem wrong. Read these, be educated, and then you'll see why your moral high ground is actually causing the problem. This is not a question of morals, it is a question of pure economics.
Som3 dud3 you seem to be pretty articulate in your writing and you have some good points. Pertaining to your Harvard business school links, one thing I think you're forgetting to realize is that no matter what kind of data you come up with or what kind of marketing research you bring up that shows that pirating music is going to generate more customers in the long run is... that the final decision to market in such a manner is the solo right of the IP owner only. There are some bands that subscribe to your point of view, and have made their music freely available on the Internet. And that's okay just as long as it's their choice to do so.

-patrick
__________________
CK2, Cereal Killerz The Sequel
SPONSORED IN PART BY: DRAXXUS BADLANDS INC. ECLIPSE JT USA EMPIRE SMART PARTS PSP FACEFULL XPAINT PBNATION
The CK2 Trailer Song is by The Transit War (The Only Evidence) http://www.myspace.com/thetransitwar

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"
MonkeyWithaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:49 PM #219
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge
 
MonkeyWithaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff by the Sea
MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNate View Post
you are incorrect in that assumption... stealing is wrong... do I believe that downloading music via P2P servers is stealing or should be a crime... NO... it was not a written law until the last 6-10 years therefore was NOT a crime until that time... that is my point.
Please show me when (the date) the law was a written law? I really would like to see that just for my own knowledge.

And if what your saying is true... than am I to assume that you have a time machine and go back in time to download all your music?

Or are you saying that the Law has to come before the crime, if not it's not a crime at all?

-patrick
__________________
CK2, Cereal Killerz The Sequel
SPONSORED IN PART BY: DRAXXUS BADLANDS INC. ECLIPSE JT USA EMPIRE SMART PARTS PSP FACEFULL XPAINT PBNATION
The CK2 Trailer Song is by The Transit War (The Only Evidence) http://www.myspace.com/thetransitwar

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"
MonkeyWithaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 PM #220
TherealInsomniac
Bangarang
 
TherealInsomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
TherealInsomniac plays in the PSP
TherealInsomniac is playing at Living Legends VI
TherealInsomniac has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
TherealInsomniac supports Empire
Or that you don't have to follow new laws?
Or that you don't believe it should be a law?
__________________
Kanye West: the world's most effective troll.
your. possesive. as in "Your grammar is terrible"
You're. contraction of "you" and "are". as in "You're an idiot for not knowing the difference"
PANTS/JERSEYS
Packs
Masks
TherealInsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM #221
ItsNate
 
 
ItsNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
ItsNate donated to help Peyton Trent
ItsNate is playing at Living Legends III
ItsNate owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ItsNate supports our troops
In December of 1997, Bill Clinton signed into law the NET (No Electronic Theft) Act... more info here:

http://www.wiredsafety.org/law/copyr...riaa/dlm8.html

That article gives a nice brief overview of what the NET Act entails and what its statutes and limitations are...

TO ALL: if you have any interest in this thread please read it.

Patrick- Where did a time machine come from? LOL

I'm just saying that anyone who downloaded songs prior to the laws being written should not be eligible to be punished for laws that were written after the fact. Otherwise the government could write laws about EVERYTHING we do and imprison anyone for anything at any time.

That wouldn't make much sense.
__________________
LEGIT BST'ERs with KILLER GOOD ADVICE!:
Annual Supporting Member Council

Last edited by ItsNate : 12-16-2009 at 06:17 PM.
ItsNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM #222
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge
 
MonkeyWithaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff by the Sea
MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNate View Post
I will find exactly when those laws were written...

Where did a time machine come from? LOL
That was me trying to be funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNate View Post
I'm just saying that anyone who downloaded songs prior to the laws being written should not be eligible to be punished for laws that were written after the fact.
I don't think you have to worry about them coming after you for downloading songs prior to a written law.

Technology changes day to day at a rapid pace and as it does it introduces new conundrums which may require new laws to be written. Putting a new Law in place is a much slow process, do to all of the checks and balances associated with writing a new Law and thats only after a problem is even identified. Which some time does not happen until way later as well.

Question: You ever find yourself saying there ought to be a law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNate View Post
Otherwise the government could write laws about EVERYTHING we do and imprison anyone for anything at any time.

That wouldn't make much sense.
I'm not say all laws are just most are, to be honest that is a debate all on it's own and the reason we are just focused on this one law here.

and remember kids what's right isn't always what's happening.

-patrick
__________________
CK2, Cereal Killerz The Sequel
SPONSORED IN PART BY: DRAXXUS BADLANDS INC. ECLIPSE JT USA EMPIRE SMART PARTS PSP FACEFULL XPAINT PBNATION
The CK2 Trailer Song is by The Transit War (The Only Evidence) http://www.myspace.com/thetransitwar

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"

Last edited by MonkeyWithaGun : 12-16-2009 at 06:41 PM.
MonkeyWithaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM #223
MonkeyWithaGun
respect the badge
 
MonkeyWithaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cardiff by the Sea
MonkeyWithaGun is a Supporting Member
MonkeyWithaGun supports Cereal Killerz 2
MonkeyWithaGun donated to help Peyton Trent
MonkeyWithaGun is a videographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNate View Post
In December of 1997, Bill Clinton signed into law the NET (No Electronic Theft) Act... more info here:

http://www.wiredsafety.org/law/copyr...riaa/dlm8.html
Good find and a good read.

Thanks

-patrick
__________________
CK2, Cereal Killerz The Sequel
SPONSORED IN PART BY: DRAXXUS BADLANDS INC. ECLIPSE JT USA EMPIRE SMART PARTS PSP FACEFULL XPAINT PBNATION
The CK2 Trailer Song is by The Transit War (The Only Evidence) http://www.myspace.com/thetransitwar

"Would you accuse me of causing a riot if I was quiet. Would you?"
MonkeyWithaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM #224
ItsNate
 
 
ItsNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
ItsNate donated to help Peyton Trent
ItsNate is playing at Living Legends III
ItsNate owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ItsNate supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyWithaGun View Post
That was me trying to be funny.
I LOL'd... lol again

Quote:
Question: You ever find yourself saying there ought to be a law...
Yes... I said YEARS ago that they should make talking on the cell phone while driving and IN PARTICULAR texting while driving illegal... sure enough... they are writing laws about it now... for once ****ty government In NC they just enacted one at the begginning of December and I hope people get SCREWED for it.
__________________
LEGIT BST'ERs with KILLER GOOD ADVICE!:
Annual Supporting Member Council
ItsNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM #225
Kleiv
Cold Fusion <33
 
Kleiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jersey...
I don't steal music from bands, I steal music from **** head big corporation record labels.
__________________
ST:M:Ska - We'd all go gay for Tomas Kalnoky
ST:Phags

Pick.It.Up.Pick.It.Up.Pick.It.Up.Pick.It.Up.Pick.I t.Up.Pick.It.Up.Pick.It.Up.Pick.It.Up.

flickr
GOT SKA?
Kleiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM #226
Stewy tha Jewy
Not in the face
 
Stewy tha Jewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa State University
Stewy tha Jewy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Stewy tha Jewy is for the Gunfight
So... no thunderdome?
__________________
"Anger cannot be dishonest"~Marcus Aurelius
Semper Bellator Ut Terminus
Iowa State University Cyclones #42
Sponsors
Ego 8 | 45/4500 with Myth Reg | Dye Rotor
Stewy tha Jewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 PM #227
ItsNate
 
 
ItsNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
ItsNate donated to help Peyton Trent
ItsNate is playing at Living Legends III
ItsNate owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ItsNate supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleiv View Post
I don't steal music from bands, I steal music from **** head big corporation record labels.
love the artists, HATE the industry!
__________________
LEGIT BST'ERs with KILLER GOOD ADVICE!:
Annual Supporting Member Council
ItsNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:31 PM #228
Quacks66
Upstate!?
 
Quacks66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Albany,NY
Quacks66 plays in the USPL
Quacks66 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quacks66 plays in the APPA beginner division
Quacks66 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Shakira said it's okay to steal her music. does that make it legal?
__________________
-Rob Wood is The Man among Men.
and the best general ever.
-freeXbird is the maverick to my goose....no homo.
-"You mighta heard I run with a dangerous crowd, we ain't too pretty we ain't to proud. we might be laughing a bit too loud...But thats the Rubber ducks for ya."


2010 Woodsball World Cup 2nd place.
licking peepee is NOT** my career.
Quacks66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:37 PM #229
rivrfreak
Power is Precision
 
rivrfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Coal City, Il
rivrfreak plays in the PSP
rivrfreak owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
rivrfreak supports Bob Gurnsey
rivrfreak supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacks66 View Post
Shakira said it's okay to steal her music. does that make it legal?
well if shes giving us permission?
__________________
XBL: xSSx Unleashed
**EBAY FEEDBACK!

ChicagoAggressive
rivrfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM #230
komikaze
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: A T L
Kid Rock....LMAO!!!
__________________
* * * Georgia Tournament Series * * * Team: D I V I N I T Y * * *

WTB Angel A1 Fly, AR;K, A1 fly'd, Small Bore kit, Critical/Cobra Trigger, Tactical Stock & Apex barrel, PM me!
komikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 PM #231
impulse_owner
*****WARBIRDS****
 
impulse_owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Explicit OT, Minnesota
impulse_owner owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
impulse_owner supports Team VICIOUS
impulse_owner supports Team VICIOUS
impulse_owner supports Team VICIOUS
impulse_owner supports our troops
impulse_owner is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
impulse_owner is Boss
Oh yeah stay off the drugs coming from kid rock. Yeah okay.
__________________
San Francisco EXPLICIT Staff and King of OT
ANNANDALE WARBIRDS
Empire | RPS | JT | NINJA | Annandale Paintball |
Dream Loud Clothing
Shane Colby- Can't stop, won't stop. Better than sauce.
impulse_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump