PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-03-2015, 01:47 PM #1
CKY_Alliance

has been a member for 10 years
Time to buy a board - Opinions on Never Summer

Okay so I think I want to finally buy my own stick. I've been eyeing never summer for years and it's the right time to buy one at a discounted price. Anyone have any experience with these? From what I have read they are a great USA made Mom/Pop shop that produces like 35k boards a year and that's it.

So I am looking the Snowtrooper Xwide. I mainly like to ride,carve, and hit small banks. No kickers but sometimes I will get airborne off of a bank into a shoot..that type thing. I don't ride the park. So will this board fit my use? I'm worried about it's stiffness it's a 5/10 (10 being stiffest)

Also I am thinking I should ride a 157-158? I am 6' 200 (But attempting to drop below 200) Does my sizing sound right? I think last year I rented and they gave me a 158. I think 160 will be too much board for me. Any opinions?

Now I am thinking Flow bindings. I used one of the entry level models on a rental and man it just makes life so much easier. Any objections? Any recommendations on a certain model?

Boots I will likely pick up a pair of ThirtyTwo's. BTW I am an 11-11.5 boot so that's my reason for the wider board.

So any input is welcome.
CKY_Alliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 PM #2
Superzeus
Domer

Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
If you're still considering:

Never Summer makes amazing boards. I've never gotten into them because I don't really like the graphics or branding but they make undeniably great stuff.

That size should be fine. You're definitely in the normal range for it, it's personal preference so if that's what you feel like you'd dig go for it. I'm 6'1 170lbs and I ride 155-159 for reference. I think the stiffness would be fine because that board replaced the SL in their line which was always a mid to mid stiffish board. Would probably be a 6 or so on other company's scales. If you want something a bit stiffer the West is another option.

Another thing I am not crazy about with Never Summer is the width thing. I ride an 11 boot and I find their standard widths are too narrow but their wides are a full wide 260mm+. I like a mid-wide for that happy medium so I'm not turning over on a pencil or feel like I'm riding a door. But that's a personal preference thing. Different people have difference perceptions of waist width.
Superzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:47 PM #3
ego0809
Me Gusta

Annual Supporting Member
ego0809 owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
ego0809 supports our troops
ego0809 is Legendary
ego0809 supports DLX Technology
ego0809 supports DLX Technology
aww wish i could help, only good with surfboards ://////

Last edited by ego0809 : 10-26-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: wrong board :S
ego0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 PM #4
CKY_Alliance

Thanks for the input Zues. What do you ride? I have an 11-11.5 boot as well, so I will need something wide. I wish I knew the model of the boards I rode in the past. It was always burton something or another rental. Are you in CA? Where do you prefer to ride?

I was also looking at GNU/Lib. I hear they also make nice stuff here in the states.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:05 PM #5
Superzeus
Domer

My daily driver is a Capita Black Snowboard of Death 159. Mostly backseat camber with flat/rocker zones out past the bindings. A little bit of taper and setback for powder. Great for all mountain charging and freestyle, and can still dart into the trees and have a lot of fun hitting pow stashes, then zip back out onto a groomer and rip it up. That's my favorite kind of riding and after trying a lot of different things I found I prefer camber dominant boards.

I have a Niche Aether 156 for park/mellow hungover days. Those boards are both mid-wide, I like to stay in the 254-259 range for waist width but like I said that's a personal preference thing. I also have a Capita Charlie Slasher 161 for powzer days.

I really like my quiver right now. The only thing I might consider tweaking is something with the shape/profile of the BSOD but stiffer. Capita Supermacho or Mercury, Yes Pick Your Line, Ride High Life or Berserker.

I live in California. When I lived in LA I went to Mammoth a lot. Now that I'm in SF it's mostly Tahoe. Mammoth is an incredible mountain. Some of my all time best riding has been in the natural terrain on the backside of Mammoth and the slackcountry there. Tahoe is my favorite place on earth. Absolutely gorgeous, awesome terrain, and you can't beat having a dozen resorts all in one place. You can go there for a week and ride a new resort every day if you want. Favorite Tahoe resort is Sierra. 90% of the terrain quality of a place like Squaw or Heavenly with a much more chill, laid back local vibe.

Lib/Gnu make awesome stuff. I've owned several of their boards over the years and really dig them. C2 and it's derivatives are an awesome shape (my Niche is a C2 shape) and the boards construction is bulletproof. They just flat out know how to make a badass snowboard that's going to be fun to ride, regardless of the exact shape or what it's designed for.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:44 PM #6
CKY_Alliance

Sweet! Lots of good info. I'm hoping to get up to Mammoth this year if the weather allows. Tahoe is a dream but I hear Mammoth is damn nice and half the distance from LA.

I took a day trip up to Big Bear a few weeks ago to escape the LA heat. Such a nice short drive, but I hear the road up the mountain in the winter is not so fun... chains required and what not. So I think I'll skip the grueling drive and crazy crowds and head a little more north. How is getting to the hill at Mammoth?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:02 PM #7
Superzeus
Domer

Not bad at all. Mammoth is definitely the call from LA unless you have at least a 3 day weekend to work with. Getting into town is simple, though CHP will often stop you and check for snow chains on your way in. It's not a windy small mountain road like Big Bear though it's a straight shot on a highway and you're there. Once you're in Mammoth Lakes, it's a small, simply laid out town. There's a bus that goes on a circuit through the hotels in town to the village and a bus or gondola that takes you from the village up to one of the lodges. Or you could pay more to drive up the hill yourself and park up by the lodge. All pretty streamlined so easy to stay in the village or a cheaper hotel in town. And the nightlife around the village can be fun if you catch it on the right night.