PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 PM #1
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

darwin was wrong?

I heard on the radio that there is some big conference in California. They made it sound like a really big deal in the scientific community. Basically what they said on the radio was that Darwin was wrong and is being disproved by modern scientific discoveries.
Anyone have any info on this conference? Is it legit or are they wack-jobs?

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 PM #2
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Modern evolutionary theory has come a long way from the Origin of Species so the issue of "proving Darwin wrong" isn't really pertinent anymore. This sounds like people who are desperate for attention.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:41 AM #3
Bigram70
James 4:6-8

No, there are many people who say Modern evolutionary theory is wrong. Many things disprove it, its just trying to disprove the disproving things thats the kicker for darwin. Darwin was wrong and he even said so in his book. Its just that modern science doesnt know anything else.

Originally posted by BGardner: Tom Kay was wrong. As much as I liked him, he is not making paintball equipment anymore. He never loved to play the game. It was more of a business than a passion. He has found his passion now, and I bet he is alot happier.
Bigram70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 AM #4
wavesport001

Quote:
No, there are many people who say Modern evolutionary theory is wrong. Many things disprove it, its just trying to disprove the disproving things thats the kicker for darwin. Darwin was wrong and he even said so in his book. Its just that modern science doesnt know anything else.
Exactly. All you need to know is god's word. Eventually science will discover that the bible was right all along.

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM #5
Gold Leader (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigram70 View Post

Source please. I would like those claims backed up. Thanks.
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM #6
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
Exactly. All you need to know is god's word. Eventually science will discover that the bible was right all along.
lol you still make me laugh
Old 11-20-2009, 11:50 AM #7
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Darwin didn't state that he was wrong, he stated that the theory of evolution through natural selection was not fully realized in his work.

There are things which he couldn't account for at the time. If memory serves, one major issue was heredity and recessive traits. Another issue was what he perceived to be "maladaptive" traits but we have since discovered why many of these seemingly negative traits are actually adaptive.

Edit: Found something discussing the convention. It seems that it's not religiosos congregating to tear down Darwin but actually renowned scientists like Dawkins who are refining or correcting what he said with more modern knowledge.

Quote:
"We can perhaps excuse Darwin, given his ignorance about the true complexity of living organisms and about genetics," said Dr. Baumgardner, a geophysicist whose career was as research scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, N.M. "Today's knowledge of molecular biology, however, has made Darwin's imagined single-cell-organism-to-man evolution indefensible."

Seven Ph.D scientists will highlight Darwin’s mistakes from genetics, geology, molecular biology, paleontology and other science areas.

Geneticist John Sanford, Ph.D., will show where Darwin went wrong with natural selection. "It is amazing to me that in this 'year of Darwin,' the whole world is bowing down to this man even while modern science is proving him wrong on all fronts," said Dr. Sanford, vice president of Logos and inventor of the world-famous "gene gun" while a Cornell professor in the 1980s. "Natural selection happens but it does not do what Darwin needed it to do. Darwin built a worldview that has come to be the governing paradigm of the intellectual community; that worldview is now collapsing in the face of new advances in science."
http://forum.richarddawkins.net/view...p?f=44&t=98184
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 11-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:27 PM #8
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Well done. Exactly what I was looking for.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 PM #9
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
Quote:
And what are these many things that disprove it?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM #10
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflvikings View Post
And what are these many things that disprove it?
I hate you.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:50 PM #11
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
I hate you.
I LOVE YOU POOKIE
Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 PM #12
Ipocritsay (Banned)

i want to bypass the caps filter

anyone watch the david attenborough special on BBC the other night? pretty spectacular
Ipocritsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 PM #13
Bigram70

sheer words alone can not describe how many times I've argued this statement. Many things disprove evolution, Its up to the scientist to make it fit. I'm only going to say a few to get started, I already know where this conversation is going to go and its a frivolous one and we really wont get anywhere.

Look at how we bleed and our blood clots, we would die without our blood clotting. There is no way we could have evolved into blood clotting human beings. As of right now the Fossil record doesn't prove evolution. I realize just by it not proving it doesn't mean it disproves it but it doesn't help its case either. well actually if you look into the science of it all, most life on this planet came about in about 11,000 years or something like that. during X period look it up, I don't have the energy too. Michael Behe along with many other scientists like him. There are more i just dont feel like going into since this will only start a huge evolution battle.

Originally posted by BGardner: Tom Kay was wrong. As much as I liked him, he is not making paintball equipment anymore. He never loved to play the game. It was more of a business than a passion. He has found his passion now, and I bet he is alot happier.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 PM #14
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
sheer words alone can not describe how many times I've argued this statement. Many things disprove evolution, Its up to the scientist to make it fit. I'm only going to say a few to get started, I already know where this conversation is going to go and its a frivolous one and we really wont get anywhere.

Look at how we bleed and our blood clots, we would die without our blood clotting. There is no way we could have evolved into blood clotting human beings. As of right now the Fossil record doesn't prove evolution. I realize just by it not proving it doesn't mean it disproves it but it doesn't help its case either. well actually if you look into the science of it all, most life on this planet came about in about 11,000 years or something like that. during X period look it up, I don't have the energy too. Michael Behe along with many other scientists like him. There are more i just dont feel like going into since this will only start a huge evolution battle.
You didn't even SEE what the conference was about. You automatically assumed it was idiots like you who are trying to disprove evolution.

No.

It's people like Dawkins, firm believers in evolution, who are merely revising what Darwin wrote because it has since become outdated by modern geology, genetics, etc.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 PM #15
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

Quote:

You're looking at the problem incorrectly.

Incorrect: "Feature X evolved to suit Y needs." Correct: "Species that evolved with feature X were able to take advantage of Y opportunities, thus survive while others died out."

Michael Behe and others like him have been proven wrong often. The Kitzmiller v. Dover BoE showed their ineptitude fairly well.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:52 PM #16
Bigram70

exactly my point, Thanks for proving it, I'm not here to say that evolution is wrong, I believe it is wrong. Someone with text over the Internet isn't going to change that in your mind. I'm saying my simple statement that its up the evolution scientists to defend evolution from the things that disprove it. your statement with X and Y is a good one until we get into science once again. In order for evolution to even take place it needs to the environment to be in. This right environment is 100000000000000000000/1 (insert astronomical #) where not scientists I'm not going to sit here and try and act like one. Unless you have a PHD in science and math lets just not bother.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:56 PM #17
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

Quote:
exactly my point, Thanks for proving it, I'm not here to say that evolution is wrong, I believe it is wrong. Someone with text over the Internet isn't going to change that in your mind. I'm saying my simple statement that its up the evolution scientists to defend evolution from the things that disprove it. your statement with X and Y is a good one until we get into science once again. In order for evolution to even take place it needs to the environment to be in. This right environment is 100000000000000000000/1 (insert astronomical #) where not scientists I'm not going to sit here and try and act like one. Unless you have a PHD in science and math lets just not bother.
I'm actually studying mathematical biophysics. kthx
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 PM #18
Gisgo09
vGisgo

Bacterial resistance to antibiotics is evolution that we have been able to see over the course of a single human lifespan. That is proof right there.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 PM #19
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Someone with text over the Internet isn't going to change that in your mind.
Especially an uneducated nincompoop who grossly misunderstands the matter he professes to have the answer about. In 3 posts, you've displayed:

a) That you don't actually understand modern evolutionary theory.
b) That you don't care to understand modern evolutionary theory.
c) That you fancy yourself incredibly educated on a matter which you've clearly given no serious thought or research.

Congratulations, you're the same as every other ignorant person in the world.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:14 PM #20
carp
Back To The Deathstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisgo09 View Post
Bacterial resistance to antibiotics is evolution that we have been able to see over the course of a single human lifespan. That is proof right there.
Or is that adaptation?
carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 PM #21
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Or is that adaptation?
I don't know if that was sarcasm, but you made me facepalm. Congrats.