Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 11-17-2009, 12:44 PM #1
ChrisLaw
infamous?

has been a member for 10 years
ChrisLaw plays in the APPA D5 division
Lexington needs an indoor. Bring Ideas!

Ok so I keep hearing rumors something to the tune of "It's illegal to discharge a marker within city limits in Lexington" I've heard it from a couple people at local fields and even on the Nation a few times. Actually, here is a good example that was brought up when I asked if the UK team had a practice field/reball room/something:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitee5 View Post
it is actually illegal to discharge a marker within the limits of lex.
Now, I've never been one to take anything for granted so I decided to look up the law today and see exactly how it was worded and what was said. My hope was that it must say something about discharging "air guns" and that it most likely meant air rifles and air pistols that fire BBs or pellets. My hope was that it could possibly be changed to legalize paintball within city limits. So I proceeded to dig around for about an hour or so. First on Google, then on the LFUCG website. Finally I stumbled upon a link to a website called Municode.com where the LFUCG keeps and displays all of it's municipal ordinances for public review. I dug a little more and found the section about air guns and this is what I found: http://library5.municode.com/default...oc&do c_hit=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by municode.com
Sec. 14-46. Same--Air rifles, air pistols, BB guns, or similar guns, slingshots or steel-tipped arrows, discharging within the urban county; penalty.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or give away any air rifle, air pistol, BB gun, or similar gun, slingshot or steel-tipped arrow to any person under the age of eighteen (18).
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of eighteen (18) to discharge any air rifle, air pistol, BB gun, or similar gun, slingshot or steel-tipped arrow without adult supervision.
(c) No person, except peace officers, military personnel and similar officers in the execution of their official duties, shall shoot or discharge air rifles, air pistols, BB guns, or similar guns, slingshots or steel-tipped arrows within the urban county in the following places or circumstances:
(1) Within the urban service area boundary, rural activities centers (as identified in the comprehensive plan) and rural settlements, including but not limited to Athens, Avon, Bracktown, Clays Ferry, Coletown, Fort Springs, Jimtown, Little Georgetown, Little Texas, Loradale, Maddoxtown, Princetown, Nihizertown, Centerville, Uttingertown, Columbus and Willa Lane, except as provided in subsections (d), (e), and (f).
(2) Within three hundred (300) feet of any building which, in addition to its ordinary meanings, includes any vehicle or aircraft; except that this prohibition shall not apply to the safe discharge of air rifles, air pistols, BB guns, or similar guns, slingshots or steel-tipped arrows with the consent of the owner of any such building.
(3) On any real property without the consent of the owner thereof.
(4) Within any urban county park, unless said park is posted otherwise by the director of parks and recreation. Such posting may be made only in areas which have been inspected for safety purposes by the department of public safety.
(d) Air rifles, air pistols, BB guns, or similar guns, slingshots or steel-tipped arrows may be shot or discharged:
(1) In lawful defense of person or property.
(2) In competition at the Bluegrass State Games.
(3) In competition or for instructional purposes at schools or universities.
(e) Steel-tipped arrows may be shot in indoor archery ranges.
(f) Paint ball guns may be shot or discharged in properly zoned commercial establishments operated in accordance with recognized national standards.
(g) Any person who violates this section shall be fined not less than one hundred dollars ($100.00) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) for each offense, and any parent of any minor who shall knowingly permit such minor to violate this section shall likewise be fined not less than one hundred dollars ($100.00) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) for each offense.
(Ord. No. 49-92, 1, 4-2-92; Ord. No. 244-2005, 1, 2, 8-25-05)
And there it is, plain as day. The wording is sort of vague, and the definition of "properly zoned commercial establishments operated in accordance with recognized national standards" is always going to be up to the judgment of a higher power within the LFUCG but it definitely proves that paintball has either been recently legalized or it has always been a rumor that paintball is illegal inside city limits. I assume this will mean nothing to anyone but at least the more people that know, the less will spread false info and the more people will become interested in investing in an indoor field, or perhaps even an outdoor field within Fayette county.

For those that may still be disbelievers I even found the results from an LFUCG parks and rec survey from 2006 that had "Separate area for paintball competition" listed as one of the choices for "things that should be completed by the LFUCG within the next 10 years"

Just wait for the PDF to load up then search for "paintball" in the search bar.
http://www.lexingtonky.gov/Modules/S...ocumentid=6395

I could very well be missing something here so please come at me with your ideas and research as well.

-Chris
ChrisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 AM #2
Paintballerdog01
Guns for a pro.

Paintballerdog01 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Paintballerdog01 supports Team VICIOUS
Paintballerdog01 posts videos on PbNation
Dude good job... like seriously, nice find
Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM #3
war_kid
NK NK NK NK NK

war_kid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
war_kid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
war_kid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
war_kid supports DLX Technology
war_kid supports Empire
eli!!!! my *****.

and chris that was a very nice find
Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 AM #4
impdaddy

impdaddy plays in the PSP
impdaddy plays in the APPA D4 division
yes nice find and eli my **** as well
impdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM #5
krogers09

krogers09 supports Cereal Killerz 2
krogers09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
krogers09 supports Team VICIOUS
krogers09 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
welll good. Now we just need to find someone with $$ to start an operation.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM #6
nofear35

I work in government and would be interested to see the red taped needed to get it zoned for that reason. I am sure it is finding the right people to get this done. Good find man!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM #7
ChrisLaw
infamous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogers09 View Post
welll good. Now we just need to find someone with $$ to start an operation.
Or convince one of the small failing outdoor fields around here that moving to the city would increase their profits and traffic... Especially if they could secure a warehouse 5 minutes from UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear35 View Post
I work in government and would be interested to see the red taped needed to get it zoned for that reason. I am sure it is finding the right people to get this done. Good find man!
That would be one thing I would be afraid of. Who gets the final say on what is or isn't acceptable as zoning and what sort of red tape and flaming hoops do you have to jump through to get it? If I were 10 years further down the road in my life I might be looking into starting something up.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 PM #8
absolutbackus
I'm your huckleberry.

absolutbackus owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
There is a guy in Berea that is looking to start a field. He said he was buying a piece of land, but the deal fell through. Apparently it is hard to find land for sale that is flat enough to put a field on in that area.
absolutbackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:37 PM #9
ChrisLaw
infamous?

The best idea would be to lease a tobacco barn or something or maybe find a grassy lot and put up an air supported dome.
http://www.avidoutdoors.com/airsupported.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutbackus View Post
There is a guy in Berea that is looking to start a field. He said he was buying a piece of land, but the deal fell through. Apparently it is hard to find land for sale that is flat enough to put a field on in that area.
If you have a chance to talk with that guy again let him know a new paintball field would have it's best chance closer to a city... The more people with cash that know about this the better chance we have.

Always fun to have pipe dreams.

Has anybody ever been to champs lazer tag arena? They should add indoor paintball next door...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM #10
Paintballerdog01
Guns for a pro.

Paintballerdog01 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Paintballerdog01 supports Team VICIOUS
Paintballerdog01 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by war_kid View Post
eli!!!! my *****.

and chris that was a very nice find
<3
Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 PM #11
Tacobueno V2 (Banned)
IMADUCKIMADUCKIMADUCK

Tacobueno V2 supports Team VICIOUS
Tacobueno V2 plays in the APPA beginner division
****ing jawsome
Tacobueno V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 PM #12
SD14
Frenchy

SD14 helped look for balloons
SD14 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SD14 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SD14 supports Team VICIOUS
there are alot of warehouses on palumbo and i think a while ago i saw one for rent, it might be a good place to have one close to the highway and close to hamburg were alot of kids like to hang out
SD14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 AM #13
ChrisLaw
infamous?

Yeah, when I visited Unlimited this weekend for the first time, That's the first place I thought of in Lexington. Those warehouses on Palumbo.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:50 PM #14
hagan

Annual Supporting Member
hagan supports Cereal Killerz 2
hagan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hagan supports Team VICIOUS
hagan supports Empire
if the sportsmens warehouse is empty still, that would be great. close to 75, and between winchester and man-o-war. palumbo would be a good second location but the easy of access at sportsmens would be better. Caines would love it.

could set up the shop in the front with restrooms all ready in place. the ceilings are high enough to and building is big enough to have at lest 2 fields maybe 3.

Colorado Fusion
Eastern Kentucky University
hagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 PM #15
XxTexasfuryxX
d(◕_◕)b

XxTexasfuryxX donated to help Peyton Trent
XxTexasfuryxX supports Team VICIOUS
XxTexasfuryxX posts videos on PbNation
XxTexasfuryxX plays in the APPA D4 division
XxTexasfuryxX supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagan View Post
if the sportsmens warehouse is empty still, that would be great. close to 75, and between winchester and man-o-war. palumbo would be a good second location but the easy of access at sportsmens would be better. Caines would love it.

could set up the shop in the front with restrooms all ready in place. the ceilings are high enough to and building is big enough to have at lest 2 fields maybe 3.
Are you payin' for it?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 PM #16
hagan

Annual Supporting Member
hagan supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTexasfuryxX View Post
Are you payin' for it?
if i wasnt in CO and half way through my military retirement Id consider it, you all asked for ideas. or you can wait for another 10 yrs to go by.

Colorado Fusion
Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 PM #17
XxTexasfuryxX
d(◕_◕)b

XxTexasfuryxX donated to help Peyton Trent
XxTexasfuryxX supports Team VICIOUS
XxTexasfuryxX posts videos on PbNation
XxTexasfuryxX plays in the APPA D4 division
XxTexasfuryxX supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagan View Post
if i wasnt in CO and half way through my military retirement Id consider it, you all asked for ideas. or you can wait for another 10 yrs to go by.
I was kidding
Old 12-15-2009, 10:51 PM #18
Hollywood_Killa
LeXtOwNs FiNeSt

man me and a guy looked into it a year or so a go he was a financial backer and we jus never could get a place hes still interested so if he could find a place then it could happen

Sometimes i think im dreamin i cant even believe it if i am dont wake me up cuz id rather be sleepin.....
Hollywood_Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 AM #19
SD14
Frenchy

SD14 helped look for balloons
SD14 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SD14 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SD14 supports Team VICIOUS
the sportsmens warehouse would be a great location
SD14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 AM #20
ChrisLaw
infamous?

Except it would be really expensive because of it's location. You guys have to think off the beaten path like Unlimited and Third Eye. The warehouses on Palumbo are a good start. There were also some old tobacco barns on Angliana, but I think those are being torn down for those ultra-trendy apartment condos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood_Killa View Post
man me and a guy looked into it a year or so a go he was a financial backer and we jus never could get a place hes still interested so if he could find a place then it could happen
Honestly I'm not sure if renting is the best solution for this but I found these two with a quick craigslist search, you might show him these:
http://lexington.craigslist.org/off/1473178148.html
http://lexington.craigslist.org/off/1472634890.html

Last edited by ChrisLaw : 12-16-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM #21
hagan

Annual Supporting Member
hagan supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLaw View Post
Except it would be really expensive because of it's location. You guys have to think off the beaten path like Unlimited and Third Eye. The warehouses on Palumbo are a good start.

not sure id really call unlimited off the beaten path, us 25 is a pretty major though thru in Nky.

thinking with SW you could use the upper walk way for seating and staging would give you a great view of the play. dont forget about the rec players or you'll not have any stead income, SW is big enough you could have a "kill house" and that would bring in possibly ROTC from EKU and UK, as well as some of the local PDs if you market it right.

anyone know if the SW tin lex had an archery range, could use it for test firing/ crono aera

just seems like it set up perfectly to me for this maybe it will still be available in 10 yrs or so

Colorado Fusion
ReplyRegional Ups