PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 PM #22
underdog_153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44 View Post
I'm in ROTC.

Like mentioned, upon completing your bachelors degree and the ROTC program you'll be commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant. There are quite a few pros and cons going through ROTC. The biggest thing is rank. The rank under a 2nd Lieutenant is Chief Master Sergeant E-9. You can either spend 4 years of college and gain O-1, or spend 15-30 years of service to get to E-9 (which is still not an officer). My degree is in aviation training and I decided to do ROTC because i must have a degree in order to be a pilot.

A base officer makes around $2700 a month + benefits where an E-1 makes around $1400.

Pros:
Free tuition through scholarship
Commissioned as Officer (O-1)
O-1 Pay
Higher Rank than enlistment
More Authority
You have a Degree
Some jobs require the rank of an officer
Paid vacations
You have a say in where you're stationed

Cons:
Not as much free time
Move every 2-3 years
Bigger responsibility
Have to maintain a high GPA (college)

i already dont like you. your giving the infamous rotc kid atitude. i also get the feeling that if you get a commission as an officer you will think that you are better then the men you are incharge of. and trust me, we ****in hate that.

**** i hate officers. only met one that was a good guy
Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM #23
Got_Hemi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
If you get a degree and go to OCS you get to be an O1 just like some one who does ROTC then does OCS. ROTC does not take OCS out of the mix.

I'm enlisted right now and I have all the same cons except I don't move any place....

VA requites a passing grade in all classes, I'm a section leader in the Marines. That is a lot more responsibility then some kid in ROTC.
Any person who is active military has more responsibility than me. My point was that compared to the average college student, people in ROTC have a bigger reaponisbility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog_153 View Post
i already dont like you. your giving the infamous rotc kid atitude. i also get the feeling that if you get a commission as an officer you will think that you are better then the men you are incharge of. and trust me, we ****in hate that.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm not going to lie. I'm extremely cocky and expect nothing but the best. However what you do have wrong is that I think less of anyone just because of position. It doesn't matter if your doing laundry, if you're contributing to the country that is all I care about.
Got_Hemi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM #24
solrflare

Annual Supporting Member
solrflare is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44 View Post
So all the things i listed are not pros of going through ROTC? As for location, you get the opportunity to pick 5 different bases in which you'd like to be stationed. You don't get the final say, but you will receive one of your picks.

All the cons i listed apply to a person going though ROTC while in college, not an enlistee.
Oh god.

Of course they are pros, but they don't need to be looked at like that.

You can pick your top 5 all you ****ing want, just like you pick your top 11 branches. It's not guaranteed. The ONLY time it is pretty much guaranteed (and it's not even 100%) is when you are the Distinguished Military Graduate of your school. That is it, you don't necessarily get one of your 5.

Really? So...
A con of someone in ROTC is that they will move every 2-3 years? Interesting, I didn't know that. I could have sworn that me and all of my buddies were at the same school until we got commissioned...but you must be right.

You have lots of responsibility in ROTC? Haha, that's a ****ing joke. Maybe your senior year.

GPA? You've gotta be kidding me, right? To be in ROTC you must maintain a 2.0 GPA average (that's a ****ing C). To hold onto your scholarship, you must maintain a 2.5 GPA average (C+). Good grades? Hardly. Student athletes and non-military scholarship recipients have better grades.

And, you're listing the Pros of being an O but the Cons of being in ROTC while in college? Doesn't make sense to me.

I hate to bust your bubble, but your authority as a cherry *** LT doesn't mean ****. Your platoon sergeant and squad leaders are the real leaders until you get some experience. Most of your pros are the same thing anyways, and they all relate to having more authority/getting paid more.
Next.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.

Last edited by solrflare : 11-16-2009 at 09:56 PM.
solrflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:59 PM #25
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
lol at an 01 outranking an E9
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:16 PM #26
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
That is why every O has an E there to call him out...er I mean give advice.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 PM #27
solrflare

Annual Supporting Member
solrflare is a Supporting Member
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
i laughed too
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
solrflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:14 PM #28
Logan_Dizzle
FEP family for life

**** rotc, **** bling bling and **** goody goody college boys. join infantry. nuff said.
Logan_Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM #29
underdog_153

true story on the lt. telling a master guns what to do. first thing i thought of when i read that was my Sgt. Maj. telling a bootass Lt. that he should climb up his ****in rockers and find it when the lt. said he deserves a salute from the sgtmaj.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM #30
dack
man *****

Sergeant Major Vines from mct? there was a story like that about him when i went through.
dack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM #31
underdog_153

**** no, that guy is a fleet dodging ***** (even though he is one of the biggest men i have ever seen)

i was talking about my battalion sergeant major
Old 11-18-2009, 03:25 PM #32
sbbihknarf
MMMMMHHHMHHHHHHHH *****!!

sbbihknarf helped look for balloons
sbbihknarf is playing at Living Legends III
sbbihknarf owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
lol if i went throught ROTC and OCS and became O1 im pretty sure id be leaning on the people that have been there longer for atleast a little wile untill i got to know everything
"I'm not normally one to let the (gross) stupidity of others agitate me. It can even be entertaining but there is one subject that drives me to the brink of gleeful homicide--the blindly willful utter nonsense spouted by the "semi-auto" advocacy crowd."
sbbihknarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 PM #33
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
yeah you'd think. many say that few do that.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:10 PM #34
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:

*hides his rank*
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 PM #35
underdog_153

lol, naw man i like you. you funny indie
Old 11-19-2009, 02:07 AM #36
sbbihknarf
MMMMMHHHMHHHHHHHH *****!!

sbbihknarf helped look for balloons
sbbihknarf is playing at Living Legends III
sbbihknarf owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
yeah you'd think. many say that few do that.
well it sounds like they have their head up their ***
"I'm not normally one to let the (gross) stupidity of others agitate me. It can even be entertaining but there is one subject that drives me to the brink of gleeful homicide--the blindly willful utter nonsense spouted by the "semi-auto" advocacy crowd."
sbbihknarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM #37
Danegerous
is dangerous

Danegerous helped look for balloons
rotc adds a few more hours to your course load. Granted, the classes are easy as ****, but sometimes it can bump you're degree plan back a semester or two depending on what other classes you're taking. I guess that could be considered a con.

Pro's though are that ROTC makes it easier to become an officer if you want to go that path. The col. of my det. said that in order to be considered for air force ots, the average person accepted had a 3.7 in a technical degree. I don't necessarily believe everything that's said about application requirements, but that's definitely a lot tougher to get then just sucking up some boring classes for two years, going to field training, and then being on contract to go to OCS.

You can make a career of the military by either enlisting or getting a commission, so it's pretty much just up to you to decide which route you would rather take.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 PM #38
underdog_153

why when people join the military they always want to take the easy way? never made sence to me being that going to war isnt easy so why would they want to get in the easy way? just had to get that off my chest
Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 PM #39
Danegerous
is dangerous

Danegerous helped look for balloons
Quote:
why when people join the military they always want to take the easy way? never made sence to me being that going to war isnt easy so why would they want to get in the easy way? just had to get that off my chest
I don't think it's the same at all, dude. I see it more as a guarantee that i can get in the military rather than leaving it up to chance... i am definitely not trying to go out of my way to make going into the military easy, or hope that the military is easy either.

At least that's me. Maybe I don't quite understand your point...
Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 PM #40
underdog_153

i cant really get from my mind to the keyboard when people say the "easy" way but i get what your saying
Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 AM #41
fusionmasta17
life begins at 300fps

Im in ROTC now and I enjoy it. I do not feel however that i am a real soldier and have never tried to act that way. I have the utmost respect for anyone serving our country today. If you complete ROTC you have don't have to go to OCS. You do have to go to a officer basic school after graduation, but it is not the same as the OCS course. Again im not trying to place the ROTC program over the active military because it simply does compare in prestige, but i do think the program offers a great way to become an officer. I have multiple people in my company that are prior service who enjoy the program, including my company commander who was in the marines before he came to the program.

"AGG" the three letters usually found between F and OT.
fusionmasta17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 AM #42
eos356
Eclipse Geo

eos356 helped look for balloons
eos356 is playing at Living Legends III
eos356 supports Team VICIOUS
eos356 supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
rotc is a program you do during college, you then go to OCS and become a 2LT you gain nothing from it.

But I still stand by my link.
Absolutely wrong. You can argue whatever point you wish, but the comparison is simple. Once you graduate ROTC and earn your commission as a 2LT, you have to realize that you will outrank 80% of the Military (AF is 20% officer, I don't know other branches exact numbers.) Want to see a real difference? Take a gander at the pay grade chart.
Sure, you've got a slim shot at OCS, but in reality, enlist out of high school and you're likely to be saluting your entire career. Just saying. Also, if you want to be a pilot, your chances are much higher in ROTC.
Just my 2 cents.
-Alex
USAF

Set up a game in the kitchen, that should be an environment she feels comfortable in."

Last edited by eos356 : 12-02-2009 at 10:29 AM.
eos356 is offline   Reply With Quote